Starlooks July 2014 (SPOILERS)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems like, for the most part, around here people want maybe one customizable item...but today I noticed that a "freebie" website has posted the link to the survey :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> That means that a bunch of people who are not at all familiar with the brand/sub are going to take the survey for the sole purpose of getting something, anything free. This is a bit of a bummer, because they could totally skew the results, since they would just be giving any random answer for the sake of a free product, not for the sake of making the subscription the best it can be.
Oh no! man, that does suck. It will definitely skew for sure. I wish they had made this more secure of a survey. Oh well, hopefully they are reading this message board and listening in to the real customers.

The free gift should have only been to those who have an existing account at Starlooks. The survey could have been open to all, but the gift should have been only for those who are already customers...

Just tried to take the survey and was met with a message saying it had closed.  So glad a bunch of randos who have never heard of Starlooks before got to take this survey, which they had no idea what they were talking about, just to get a free product. I would have gladly taken this for no compensation at all.  I had the sub for 3 months and have made a few purchases...my opinion would have probably been more useful to them. 

@@kaitlin1209 that is why I dislike some of the freebie web sites!! lol

seriously, if they know of a survey that should be for members, they shouldn't post it.  But they do. And I also blame starlooks for not closing that loophole in their survey.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't wait until it's customizable. At 37, I'm not trying wear anything neon colored. Grown and sexy here. Not wild and bright.
Eh, 42 and working for a bank here.  I'm past the trying to look work-appropriate stage and onto the IDGAF stage of makeup.  Neon eyeshadow over here, thankyouverymuch.  And glitter.  All of the glitter, as long as it doesn't fall in my eye. 

Some colors do not look good on my brown skin so yes, let me at least choose my color lipstick and opt out of blushes and whatnot.

Many of us AA women do not wear that stuff and we most certainly don't wear neon colors. It may look good on paler or white skin but it doesn't look good on everyday AA women.

Other than that, Starlooks is still one of my favorites.

They should have a choice

1.  customize your whole box

2.  customize certain items that must be customized (foundations, stuff like) and also 2 items that are on the do not send.  Surprise me with the rest

3.  totally surprise!

I think most of us like option 2, but I can see the benefits of 1 & 3.  I am personally happy (so far) with Starlooks and I am afraid if we customize too much, we will get box envy.  And that sours me to no end on sub boxes.

personally, I do not think neon eyeshadows look good on me with my fair/medium toned skin, but that is a personal preference. I have seen all types of skin tones wear neon, so it just boils down to what one likes.

I think that box envy could be an issue with too much customization, so I like the idea of customizing just the items that really need to be matched to someone's skin color, like foundation and still getting my fun surprise (think about full customization: would we not get looksbook pics anymore, since people would have different items?!?! I'd so miss the looksbook! Would it create shipping problems or lots of people complaining because they got the "wrong" item?)

Basically, I like the way things are, but would like to have customization so I could try face products.

If they want to use a quiz type profile thing, I guess that'd be fine with me...as long as it actually worked -atleast a little bit- and wasn't complete BS like ipsymatch. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

If they went full customization, I probably would unsub.  I like that they push me out of my comfort zone.  As others stated, if I wanted to pick out my items, I would not sub to a box.

I love the looksbook and the starlooks email blast on how to use the products.  

Y'know, I really think the fact that we do *not* get to pick stuff out is what has kept me around.  If left to my own devices, I get the same colors over and over, and I look to subs to send me something other than the same blues and purples I gravitate to, or I spend so much time trying to decide what to get that I run out of time and end up not getting anything.

(Regardless of what happens with the customization, I'll probably end up bailing once my sub runs out -- in March, I think -- since I'm on an annual sub.  I do love getting new makeup every month, but I've gotten hooked on indie subs and collections -- Glamour Doll Eyes, Rainbow Honey, innocent+twisted alchemy, and now Notoriously Morbids' Vanishing Cabinet -- so I really get my OOH SHINY NEW STUFF and push-me-outside-my-comfort-zone needs met by those now.  Except I'm not sure I have a comfort zone to get pushed out of.  I'll try just about anything but bronzer and liquid liner -- and I *have* just about everything *including* bronzer and liquid liner.)

Y'know, I really think the fact that we do *not* get to pick stuff out is what has kept me around. If left to my own devices, I get the same colors over and over, and I look to subs to send me something other than the same blues and purples I gravitate to, or I spend so much time trying to decide what to get that I run out of time and end up not getting anything.

(Regardless of what happens with the customization, I'll probably end up bailing once my sub runs out -- in March, I think -- since I'm on an annual sub. I do love getting new makeup every month, but I've gotten hooked on indie subs and collections -- Glamour Doll Eyes, Rainbow Honey, innocent+twisted alchemy, and now Notoriously Morbids' Vanishing Cabinet -- so I really get my OOH SHINY NEW STUFF and push-me-outside-my-comfort-zone needs met by those now. Except I'm not sure I have a comfort zone to get pushed out of. I'll try just about anything but bronzer and liquid liner -- and I *have* just about everything *including* bronzer and liquid liner.)
I agree-I like the surprise and coming here, trying to figure out the surprise. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> for instance, I would have never picked the gold cream liner/shadow but love it!!

And-I also love innocent+alchemy :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :)

I kind of feel like they had already given us the customizing part by giving subscribers the loyalty gift to buy whatever we want. I guess because I think of it as though I am picking out my own products for my own free Starbox, haha.

But maybe that isn't working in terms of revenue? $35 worth of free products for each 3 month sub is a GREAT deal for a customer, but maybe not so much for the company.

Not including shipping, the box is $15/mo or $45 for 3 months. We've literally been getting 3 months of Starlooks products and $35 to spend on whatever while only forking out $45.  I can see why they would change the loyalty program (even though it makes me sad.)

Maybe they will let us choose one product of three each month and have the other items be a mystery... 

such as being able to choose if we wanted the A. Mascara  B. Eyeliner  C.Lipstick  (or any other products) based on the lookbook and then there would be other items curated from the looksbook that would be a complete surprise/not shown as a customized option. That way the products still work well together but then you aren't stuck with another mascara or eyeliner that you aren't really happy or excited about getting. Or you can decide that you do need a new mascara over a new lipstick or w/e since everyone needs or wants different things at different times. Plus you know that you are still getting a surprise. I would think that would eliminate box envy too since everyone is still pretty much getting the same thing outside of the one product that they chose for themselves.

I also agree that it would be nice to try the products related to skin tone. I ordered the foundation samples with my last loyalty code, so I am intrigued to see how the concealers, powders, etc work.

(I edited this post a few times because it's late and I felt like I wasn't making sense!)

@@NeisDreams

Maybe they will let us choose one product of three each month and have the other items be a mystery... 

such as being able to choose if we wanted the A. Mascara  B. Eyeliner  C.Lipstick  (or any other products) based on the lookbook and then there would be other items curated from the looksbook that would be a complete surprise/not shown as a customized option. That way the products still work well together but then you aren't stuck with another mascara or eyeliner that you aren't really happy or excited about getting. Or you can decide that you do need a new mascara over a new lipstick or w/e since everyone needs or wants different things at different times. Plus you know that you are still getting a surprise. I would think that would eliminate box envy too since everyone is still pretty much getting the same thing outside of the one product that they chose for themselves.
I think something like this would be my ideal way of customizing. I don't want to completely lose the surprise, but wouldn't mind having a little say.

I've been on the fence about this box after the shimmery face powder month before last and yellow liner & lip color from last month, I have mine billed to a refillable prepaid card and don't put money on it for the charge until I'm pretty certain of the contents of the box. I went ahead and transferred money to it today, I think if I can't use the items in the July box my 20 year old or 16 year old will probably love them. I've been a subscriber off and on for about a year and have a love/hate relationship with Starlooks. I only use about 1/2 or less of the items I receive myself but my daughters love them so I keep coming back. 

I'm curious to see how the customization will work, that might win me over.  B)

Ok, this will be a long post so bare with me, skip or skim at your discretion. I emailed Starlooks about the survey being closed now, that some subscribers never got to take it, and my concern that since the survey went out to freebie sites that the results would be skewed. They responded today
My email to them:

Hi there!

First off, I just want to take a few moments to gush about how happy I am to have found Starlooks products and your monthly Starbox subscription. I truly and deeply love it! I sub to a lot of beauty boxes/bags and this one has always been by far my favorite in terms of Customer service, quality of products, variety of products, and customer interaction (LOVE those starblast emails and tips on our cards on how to use products in more than one way!) I have also encouraged others to subscribe because of your loyalty programs, generous referrals and other little perks that come out from time to time. That being said, I truly am a Starlooks fangirl haha.
 However, it has recently come to my attention that you put out a public survey regarding feedback to the upcoming changes to the Starlooks Starbox and customization. As a subscriber, I jumped on it as soon as I saw it! The added bonus perk of a makeup item was far more than I could have expected and I truly appreciate it. However, I follow some beauty forums and found out that your survey link had been picked up by "freebie" sites and distributed to a LARGE mass of people who likely have no idea what starlooks is but they were enticed by "free makeup"
 I have been reading that the survey is now closed and several subscribers are kinda bummed out, not because of the free makeup incentive, but because they felt they didn't get the opportunity to do a survey that directly affects them. My concern, is that your survey results have been severley skewed by people who have no interest in subscribing or about your company at all but who only want free items. Many of your subscribers have said that they wish to do the survey without an incentive even just to be able to take it!
 So this letter is more to ask if there is any way of issuing a "subscriber only" survey about how our our subscriptions will be changing in the future. Free perk or no perk you have so many loyal makeup lovers who still want their voices heard. Here is the link to the forum post Ive been part of (I am Onyxspider) https://www.makeuptalk.com/f/topic/133053-starlooks-july-2014-spoilers/page-3
 Thank you for taking the time to read this, I really appreciate you sending out the survey to begin with as, again, it shows how much you appreciate your customers opinions and feedback. Thank you
 Amber Reed
And the response I got back today :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Amber,

We sincerely appreciate your feedback. We actually caught onto this too and realized the survey was being passed around to sites such as these, which is why we had to put a stop to it abruptly. 
We do have ways of filtering through the data to determine who the current/past subscribers and customers are that actually cared to take the survey for purposes you mentioned, and visa versa - so we are doing that now and will be taking whatever measures necessary to make sure our caring customers get the opportunity to give their valued opinion, and that the results aren't skewed.

Stay tuned and tell your friends and other followers that we are aware of the issue and are doing everything we can :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Thanks again!
I am very happy to read this, and wanted to share with those concerned here as well :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Nice! I'm glad they responded to you.

I can't stop thinking about what could be in the july box. Have they ever sent single shadows? I'm wondering if we could expect a blue/indigo shadow based on the lookbook.

Nice! I'm glad they responded to you.

I can't stop thinking about what could be in the july box. Have they ever sent single shadows? I'm wondering if we could expect a blue/indigo shadow based on the lookbook.
I got a single shadow in a "referral box" back in December. So they theoretically could, we have just been spoiled by palettes haha.

IMG_4817.JPG

Back