Starlooks Starbox June 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Starlooks products are produced by Modern Basic, which is based in Canada.

Here is a quote from a previous thread, from Marci:

Quote: Quote: Originally Posted by Lulubelle107 

I received my Starlooks box, thank you so much!  I received the October box, and the lipstick color is gorgeous.

At first I was concerned that all of the makeup was made in China as that is what the boxes say, but I googled and saw a comment in a blog that the packaging was outsourced from China but the makeup itself is made in Canada and/or California.  Marci, can you verify this?  I prefer to not use makeup made in China if I can avoid it.
Yes, this is verified. We are required by regulation to state where all components are from, we formulate everything in Canada and US and packaging is sourced from China because packaging from China is beautiful! Thanks for asking!

So the products are made in the US and Canada.

Originally Posted by lovepink /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh thanks for the info!  I didn't think about the products arriving damaged!  Lol

I guess some mysteries of the world will remain unsolved.  Or until the Why Marci video comes out.  Maybe she will reveal the mystery behind it and  the pin!  Thank you for helping!
The Case of the Mysterious 60's Pin!
unsure.gif
Oooooooooooo LOL Love it!

Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Starlooks products are produced by Modern Basic, which is based in Canada.

Here is a quote from a previous thread, from Marci:

I went to Starlooks FAQ and this is what I found:

Starlooks’ contract formulation team is located in Canada and China. Our Representatives - who travel to these locations on a regular basis, have direct control over quality, safety, and the production cost of our products. - See more at: http://starlooks.com/pages/faq#sthash.5anW1UJM.dpuf

From reading this, it sounds like the products are still made in China.  

I'd love it if they are not made in China as now I have a 3 full sized products I cannot use.  

I

As an extremely pale person with no interest in traditional bronzing, I was underwhelmed by the prospect of the bronzer . . . but I actually really like it. I am using it to contour (light touch with a foundation brush) before I use foundation (the method i learned from one of gossmakeupartist's videos), and it worked really well. I was impressed.

Originally Posted by Jaly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I went to Starlooks FAQ and this is what I found:

Starlooks’ contract formulation team is located in Canada and China. Our Representatives - who travel to these locations on a regular basis, have direct control over quality, safety, and the production cost of our products. - See more at: http://starlooks.com/pages/faq#sthash.5anW1UJM.dpuf

From reading this, it sounds like the products are still made in China.  

I'd love it if they are not made in China as now I have a 3 full sized products I cannot use.  

I
I could be wrong, but I *think* they are made in Canada and packaged in China/packing is bought from China. That was my read.

Originally Posted by ohdahlia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As an extremely pale person with no interest in traditional bronzing, I was underwhelmed by the prospect of the bronzer . . . but I actually really like it. I am using it to contour (light touch with a foundation brush) before I use foundation (the method i learned from one of gossmakeupartist's videos), and it worked really well. I was impressed.
I hadn't thought of trying it that way, maybe I'll give that a shot!

I am pale, but recently became obsessed with contouring after seeing the difference it can make on the face. It can totally transform! So now I use bronzers to contour. I know there was controversy on another thread about using bronzer to contour but I do it and it works fabulously!

Originally Posted by princess2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am pale, but recently became obsessed with contouring after seeing the difference it can make on the face. It can totally transform! So now I use bronzers to contour. I know there was controversy on another thread about using bronzer to contour but I do it and it works fabulously!
I can't use it that way OVER foundation because my coloring is pink toned and it just looks awful, but I am going to try it under my foundation and see if I can pull it off that way :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Definitely my least favorite box.  I already have a white pencil, several bronzers and a million black eyeliners.  The pin I don't get at all.  I guess many of us who have been receiving Starlooks awhile had higher expectations for an "Anniversary" box to have a little more WOW factor instead of MEH.  The bronzer actually looks like it would make a better eyeshadow, maybe I will try that.

I can't use it that way OVER foundation because my coloring is pink toned and it just looks awful, but I am going to try it under my foundation and see if I can pull it off that way :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Same with me. Very fair and pink toned. And warm colors and bronzers do not look good on me.  Let us know if you try it that way. I might see about eye shadow like one of the members suggested.

I signed up for the July box and now I am a little worried.  The two eyeliners and the bronzer actually look pretty nice but I have similar products for all three of them and that pin is awful, I kinda wish they hadn't included it because in my opinion it makes the box look worse.

Originally Posted by BeautyLoverIT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I signed up for the July box and now I am a little worried.  The two eyeliners and the bronzer actually look pretty nice but I have similar products for all three of them and that pin is awful, I kinda wish they hadn't included it because in my opinion it makes the box look worse.
I don't think you should be worried, Starlooks is great at listening to feedback and I'm sure next month will be amazing as usual :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

The June box was definitely out of the ordinary.

I was really excited for this eyeliner pen but either this one doesn't work or I am doing something terribly wrong. I stored it upside-down overnight like someone suggested, and all I can get is a dry, uneven line to come out. And you definitely can't go over it twice or it just rubs off the previous color.

Am I doing something wrong or what? I'm so disappointed :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm really hoping for a bright, shimmery coral eye shadow. It would look amazing with the turquoise I'm ordering next weekend. It would be amazing if we got a summer-inspired palette (sea turquoise, sky blue, grass green, sunset orange -- all colorful brights) to bookend the December palette (which I missed, but it definitely reminded me of the Christmas tree lights it was supposed to emulate) since July is exactly halfway between Decembers. It would make a nice symmetry. I realize a lot of people would moan about all of the clown colors, but those are my colors. I get an amazing number of compliments when I wear GDE Pinky Swear, which is the brightest hot pink eye shadow I've ever tried. I've specifically been told that I look better in brights than neutrals, so if you would expect to see it on a Vegas showgirl or Mardi Gras drag queen, I have grabby hands. I've been blaming Endora on _Bewitched_. That witch had *style*. ETA: I just realized a seasonally-appropriate theme that would allow for those fun, bright colors! Carnivals/fairs. Anything where there are tilt-a-whirls and elephant ears. The color inspiration could come from the syrups used on snow cones/shave ice (which reminds me: I need to hit Cash & Carry for more of those syrups for Italian sodas!).

Not sure if this has already been mentioned (I didn't see it anywhere in the thread) but the button looks to be from a separate company...there is a sticker on the back that says TopPun.com-maximizing prophets.  I went to the site and it looks like it is a company that makes products (buttons, tshirts,etc)  for social activism (gay pride, peace, etc)  incorporating puns?  Interesting concept and totally fits with the 60's theme.  The bronzer looks pretty nice, I am going to try it out today.

According to the label, as required by FDA law, (some of) the products are made in China. A friend of mine who owns another cosmetic company has her packaging made in China while her actual cosmetics are made in the US and because of that HER labels, as required by FDA law, states Made in the USA.

Originally Posted by ampersamd /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was really excited for this eyeliner pen but either this one doesn't work or I am doing something terribly wrong. I stored it upside-down overnight like someone suggested, and all I can get is a dry, uneven line to come out. And you definitely can't go over it twice or it just rubs off the previous color.

Am I doing something wrong or what? I'm so disappointed :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Sounds like it is dried out -- mine is nothing like that. I think you should email them! I bet they will send a replacement.

Originally Posted by Ann Tucci /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They've repeated lipsticks and eye pencils and a few other products in the same/similar families (blush, eyeshadows, etc).  Not the same colors, of course.  I don't see any repeated brushes or tools though.  
What I meant was you can get a tender gloss lipstick but if you receive one in citron, you wouldn't again.  Anyways, I was wrong about the liner and I guess because it's so amazing they wanted everyone who didn't get a chance to try it, to get it! ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I've been subbed from the beginning so I have a huge stash. This is the first repeat.

Back