Summerswap 2014 Discussion

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ooh!! I think I may want to be a part of this one too. :). Must look at my budget but it may work out since this one is a few weeks later than the other one. :)

Oh YaY sign me up!! I really wanted to do the Midsummer Night’s Dream, but wasn't eligible. I was content to just be a Fairy helper, so this is awesome!!
I've never done a Secret Santa type thing on MuT so I am super excited about it!  I didn't have enough time here at MuT to participate in the last Secret Santa but it looked like so much fun!!!

I'm so excited for all of you who are joining in on the fun! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Me too!  I've already mentally started figuring out where I can get the most bang for my buck and pulling out some unused gift cards!!  ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Ooh!! I think I may want to be a part of this one too. :). Must look at my budget but it may work out since this one is a few weeks later than the other one. :)
We'd love to have you join us!  I hope you can!   :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Awesome, this looks like so much fun!! Hoping to join in!
Well, you have plenty of time to get your post count up by the time sign ups end on June 2nd.  Please be sure that your posts add to the discussions you post in.  This is so that we can get to know you and you can get to know MuT and it's members!

We'd love to have you participate!   ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm planning on jumping on board here, too!  But a little note:  I'm not planning on maintaining a directory/helper list for this one, and I'm not going to add people only doing Summerswap to the Godchild directory.  I'm assuming there will be different surveys, and it's going to be too hard for me to keep the lists straight, plus I'm not involved in the planning/organization on this one.  Thanks!

I'm planning on jumping on board here, too!  But a little note:  I'm not planning on maintaining a directory/helper list for this one, and I'm not going to add people only doing Summerswap to the Godchild directory.  I'm assuming there will be different surveys, and it's going to be too hard for me to keep the lists straight, plus I'm not involved in the planning/organization on this one.  Thanks!
Don't worry, we have been planning and have had it covered for a while. We weren't looking for more helpers in the logistical sense for this swap. Thanks though!

Don't worry, we have been planning and have had it covered for a while. We weren't looking for more helpers in the logistical sense for this swap. Thanks though!
Oh, this was more of a heads-up for the people who might be posting in the Midsummer survey thread thinking it was for Summerswap. There's at least one person who has apparently done that already, and there may be more I just haven't realized have done this.

Is there going to be a separate thread for signups? Or is it just this thread?

I was really excited about this until I read that handmade things don't count.  Everybody goes over budget anyway but I think about how much yarn costs me and I just get sort of offended that I shouldn't count it towards the limit,  It doesn't matter that I would probably overspend on other things anyway, but I guess it's the principle of it.

I'm not going to partake of this one.

I was really excited about this until I read that handmade things don't count.  Everybody goes over budget anyway but I think about how much yarn costs me and I just get sort of offended that I shouldn't count it towards the limit,  It doesn't matter that I would probably overspend on other things anyway, but I guess it's the principle of it.

I'm not going to partake of this one.
@@DonnaD

I took a look at 2012 Christmas swap (couldn't find 2013!?!?), because this is my first swap and I wanted to see if people really stuck to the budget guideline. I think some did and some didn't, if you chose to include the cost of your yarn the receiving person should be fine with that...Really it's a gift not a trade, right?

I received a knit blanket for my first child and loved it. So I learned to crochet and I made blankets for all the new babies in our lives, but I never got the feeling that anyone was really wowed by them and they take a ton of time and cost way more then one from a store. So I quit doing it. I think we now under value 'homemade'.

I understand the need for the rules but I would hate to see homemade gifts discouraged, since they can be most the special.  @@DonnaD's gloves were beautiful and should be shared with the world :wub: Maybe it could somehow be worked into the survey, if there will be one?

Yeah I agree homemade gifts are fun!! Personally, I think if someone gets their swap box and immediately thinks "this is home made and not worth $25", they need to reevaluate their life choices and direct themselves to have a seat, but that's just me. (Edit: that sounds kinda harsh. I mean of it's something nice and homemade not if it's like..gross. I don't know what I'm trying to say, hopefully someone gets it lol)

I mean, I get it, you don't want someone who's not very artsy (ex: me) to make like, macaroni art collages and say "that is worth at least $300!!" But at the same time if that happened to me I'd probably laugh. There's gotta be a way to figure it out...maybe along with the survey idea ask if people are open to home made gifts and if they make home made gifts then try and pair those people up? Not sure if that's a ton of work for our lovely coordinators though...

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my goodness! @@DonnaD makes the most beautiful knitted gloves you've ever seen in your life! I know I would love anything anyone made me even if it went toward the budget. For me these swaps are way more than just getting make up & beauty supplies. I love getting to know the fabulous ladies here, their personalities, everything about them. These swaps are an experience. They are magical. They are super fun!

@@DonnaD please stay! I would love to have you as my secret gifter or as my giftee! You're too fun! We need your personality on here! :)

That's reasonable, if it's new and unused then it should totally count towards the total. I know most people will go overboard, but to anyone who gets me I will be totally happy with whatever is sent. Mostly I love that we get to 'know' each other and have fun interacting. Not everyone has a ton of disposable income and it would be a shame if they felt that they couldn't join in the fun because of $$.

Yup I usually end up with extras of things because of shipping costs. If its a good deal and I'll have use of it even if it doesn't get gifted, multiples it is.

Back