Summerswap 2014 Discussion

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was really excited about this until I read that handmade things don't count.  Everybody goes over budget anyway but I think about how much yarn costs me and I just get sort of offended that I shouldn't count it towards the limit,  It doesn't matter that I would probably overspend on other things anyway, but I guess it's the principle of it.

I'm not going to partake of this one.
@@DonnaD I sent you a PM.

I tried to quote everyone and I guess there is a limit so I will say this:

In my haste to get the post up, I left out the word, "HAVE".  The sentence was supposed to read, "....does NOT HAVE to count...".  We all know that we love to shower our giftee with pretties and find creative ways to do it.  It was supposed to be a "cute" enabling sentence (with a wink wink) that in NO WAY meant to devalue the hard work put into a homemade gift.  It was my error and I apologize. In the end, it is up to the gift giver to decide whether their box meets the $25 min/max and whether they think their box will put a smile on the receiver's face.  It is, really, after all, the thought that counts and the participation in the threads leading up to the actual gift reveal.

@@DonnaD

I took a look at 2012 Christmas swap (couldn't find 2013!?!?), because this is my first swap and I wanted to see if people really stuck to the budget guideline. I think some did and some didn't, if you chose to include the cost of your yarn the receiving person should be fine with that...Really it's a gift not a trade, right?

I received a knit blanket for my first child and loved it. So I learned to crochet and I made blankets for all the new babies in our lives, but I never got the feeling that anyone was really wowed by them and they take a ton of time and cost way more then one from a store. So I quit doing it. I think we now under value 'homemade'.
@@SaraP I can't believe  your efforts weren't well received.   Almost every single person I know loves getting blankies.  People have literally begged me to make them afghans.  Want to see some of my work?  https://www.flickr.com/photos/dslip/sets/72157602370882793/

@@DonnaD I sent you a PM.

I tried to quote everyone and I guess there is a limit so I will say this:

In my haste to get the post up, I left out the word, "HAVE".  The sentence was supposed to read, "....does NOT HAVE to count...".  We all know that we love to shower our giftee with pretties and find creative ways to do it.  It was supposed to be a "cute" enabling sentence (with a wink wink) that in NO WAY meant to devalue the hard work put into a homemade gift.  It was my error and I apologize. In the end, it is up to the gift giver to decide whether their box meets the $25 min/max and whether they think their box will put a smile on the receiver's face.  It is, really, after all, the thought that counts and the participation in the threads leading up to the actual gift reveal.
Thanks so much for clarifying that.  Since I'm big on homemade, I'll definitely be participating.  I have so much fun making stuff for people and it thrills me that people actually seem to like what I make.  It's really all very selfish on my part.  I just want to be worshiped for the crocheting goddess that I am.

The sign up thread will be active tomorrow, May 21st. My 5 year old son is having an allergic reaction to something and I have to take him to the ER.  I'm sorry guys!!!  The thread will DEFINITELY be up tomorrow.  

The sign up thread will be active tomorrow, May 21st. My 5 year old son is having an allergic reaction to something and I have to take him to the ER.  I'm sorry guys!!!  The thread will DEFINITELY be up tomorrow.  
Oh no, hope he feels better soon!!

Oh no!  I hope he's okay.  xoxo

I'm really excited, I'd love to do this!  I need to break out of my shell a little and become more involved here.  

@@DonnaD  Beautiful blankets!  I tried to teach myself to crochet by just watching videos, but I mess up somewhere in stitch placement.  So, the yarn and supplies I bought sits until I find someone who can stand next to me and walk me through it.  

@@Babs28  I hope things go well with your little guy. 

Thanks so much for clarifying that.  Since I'm big on homemade, I'll definitely be participating.  I have so much fun making stuff for people and it thrills me that people actually seem to like what I make.  It's really all very selfish on my part.  I just want to be worshiped for the crocheting goddess that I am.
You see? And that comment right there is why we need/want you in this thing! Gosh Donna you keep me smiling!

Thanks, everyone!  Not sure what he had a reaction to but he's ok. He got a "shot" and was asking for cool bandaids so that's definitely a sign that he's ok. We are finally home now. I'm going to get some sleep and then I'll post the sign up thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to see so much good news overnight.  @@Babs28, glad your little guy is doing OK.  @@DonnaD, glad to see you're in and that your gorgeous gifts will get the recognition they deserve.

I think I'm more or less done shopping for the Midsummer Night's Dream swap, and I've got plenty of points and credits to continue on with this one.  In the spirit, I may actually try my hand at something "crafty," too.  What a fun way to get through the summer heat!

@@Babs28 Glad he's feeling better! Has he been allergy tested? My oldest had the test, which sounds scary when the Dr explained it, but it wasn't bad and it shed light onto some of the issues we had.

FYI the dear Dr explained it as a bunch of needles, which is better left unsaid. In reality it was a row of needles and it barely breaks the skin (very little pain) and my wimpy little one said it was better then the immunization shots.

@@Babs28 Glad he's feeling better! Has he been allergy tested? My oldest had the test, which sounds scary when the Dr explained it, but it wasn't bad and it shed light onto some of the issues we had.

FYI the dear Dr explained it as a bunch of needles, which is better left unsaid. In reality it was a row of needles and it barely breaks the skin (very little pain) and my wimpy little one said it was better then the immunization shots.
Yep. I've had it done. It's so fast and light that you barely feel it. It's more jarring than painful, like if someone poked you without you knowing they were there. If that makes any sense. Haha

I cannot express how happy I was to read the line about Birchbox and other items not counting. I got seriously screwed over on a Reddit exchange last month by getting an Ipsy leftover and some old Juleps!!

So excited for this.

Back