• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to MakeUp Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

The HauteLook Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ingredients: Unicorn tears and rainbows.  Oh, no wait - it's 'PEG-8,' 'kaolin' and 'silt"?! 
LOL! i thought at least it would have some real diamonds in it. i don't know about PEG-8, but kaolin is a clay mineral, and silt...as in sediment? FAIL.

I have to vent for a minute.  I ordered two items during the recent The Balm sale and one of them never showed up.  It's been marked as delivered by the post office on the 10th.  I contacted Hautelook the next day to alert them to the problem, but to also ask for their shipping address, as I needed it in order to contact the post office (they wanted the address of the shipper).  Hautelook responded pretty quickly, didn't give me their address, and said the post office has 7 business days to deliver the package after their stated "delivered date" of the 10th and to contact them after the 22nd if it hasn't shown up.

When working with my post office in the past about missing packages, I've found that the faster I contact them, the more likely they will find my missing items.  I ended up finding the box for my other package, so I used that address to start a case with the post office on the 12th.  The post office stated that they would get back to me within two business days, but when I hadn't heard anything by the 15th, I called.  The woman I spoke to said they were aware of my case and would call me back within an hour.  It's now the 17th and I haven't heard from the post office and haven't received my package.  

I'm very annoyed that I can't start the refund process on something I ordered on June 23rd, that was shipped on July 3rd, and marked as delivered on July 10th until July 22nd.  I realize this is postal service issue, and not really a Hautelook issue, but I do a ton of online shopping and Hautelook is the only company I've encountered that wants me to wait over a week past the delivery date before they'll investigate.  

I have an above average amount of packages go missing, which I suspect has to do with the fact that there is a house a block north of me that has my same house number and our street numbers look very similar if you're in a hurry.  Generally, I will contact the post office or delivery company immediately and the issue is looked into within a day or so. and if the post office tells me that the package was delivered, I contact the company and they immediately start to remedy the situation.  

It's just frustrating and disappointing that I know what the end result is going to be, since this is a flash sale site, but that Hautelook wants to keep my money for a month before refunding me.  I mean, it's not as if they have more product to send out.
Wanted to update this post.  I emailed Hautelook this morning and they are starting an investigation about my package and will let me know what they find on August 13th, at which point, they will refund my money if the package isn't located.  The person I'm working with also said that "if I happened to find the package" to let them know.  I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt about the phrasing, but they are starting to make me feel like I'm lying about not receiving this package.  I'm the last person who would try to deceive a company and I loathe having to contact customer service, so lying isn't something I would do.  I would much rather have the item I ordered than my money back, but after they finish their investigation, it will be over 30 days since it was marked as delivered and who knows how long after that for me to get my money back.  

Has anyone else had this kind of thing happen?  Is this response typical of missing Hautelook packages?

Wanted to update this post.  I emailed Hautelook this morning and they are starting an investigation about my package and will let me know what they find on August 13th, at which point, they will refund my money if the package isn't located.  The person I'm working with also said that "if I happened to find the package" to let them know.  I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt about the phrasing, but they are starting to make me feel like I'm lying about not receiving this package.  I'm the last person who would try to deceive a company and I loathe having to contact customer service, so lying isn't something I would do.  I would much rather have the item I ordered than my money back, but after they finish their investigation, it will be over 30 days since it was marked as delivered and who knows how long after that for me to get my money back.  

Has anyone else had this kind of thing happen?  Is this response typical of missing Hautelook packages?
That sounds really frustrating! Maybe she just means if the PO office happens to deliver it after all. I've never have to deal with HL customer service. I've ordered at least a dozen things from them and never had something go missing. The post office is almost always useless when I have a problem, though. They always say they will call me back, and they usually give a time frame (tomorrow afternoon, within an hour, etc.), but they have never, ever, ever called me back. And it's frustrating to call them because you don't know if you will get the same person, etc. I know they are always overworked, though.

I hope they refund you, because it seems unlikely they'll find the item at this point. That seems like an excessive amount of time to investigate it too. They should have refunded you by now - if it says it was delivered, then what are they going to find out by investigating?

That sounds really frustrating! Maybe she just means if the PO office happens to deliver it after all. I've never have to deal with HL customer service. I've ordered at least a dozen things from them and never had something go missing. The post office is almost always useless when I have a problem, though. They always say they will call me back, and they usually give a time frame (tomorrow afternoon, within an hour, etc.), but they have never, ever, ever called me back. And it's frustrating to call them because you don't know if you will get the same person, etc. I know they are always overworked, though.

I hope they refund you, because it seems unlikely they'll find the item at this point. That seems like an excessive amount of time to investigate it too. They should have refunded you by now - if it says it was delivered, then what are they going to find out by investigating?
Thank you.  I like Hautelook's deals and can tolerate their long ship times, but the fact that they are going to hold on to my money for almost 2 months is irritating.

Does anyone think they will offer the hautelook beauty bag that sold out in ten min last month; like they bring back the others, or since it sold out, its done?

Wow, HauteLook has outdone themselves! I ordered a bunch of stuff which they shipped out seperately, but one item was the Lorac AfterGLO palette for ten bucks which I was really looking forward to. I received an EMPTY box today with a packing slip but no palette. Way to go HL. Now I'm sol cuz it's sold out long ago! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Reviving a kind of dead thread because I am a little WTF? at Hautelook right now. So, I made a purchase with them around the beginning of the month, and it should have arrived a week or so ago. Since I never got a shipping e-mail and it showed that the item hadn't shipped, I contacted their CS to see what was up. I was told that just that day (Monday) they had gotten word from the supplier that there wasn't enough stock, so they weren't going to be able to fulfill my order.

They refunded me, and gave e a $10 Hautelook credit, and I was fine with that because it had been an impulse purchase anyways. Then this morning I woke up to a shipping notice for the item I was refunded for on Monday! As of 7pm this evening, my item is on its way to me (either that or an empty box) but I still have my refund and my $10 credit.

I'm just... I seriously don't know. I guess I will see what shows up tomorrow and then contact them... I guess? I seriously don't even know how this could have happened unless the CS agent was out of their mind and just refunded me without even investigating the issue.

Hautelook is generally a little WTF-y for me... the shipping times are just silly, and the packing is a joke. I ordered a theBalm Cindy Lou-Manizer a while back, and it came in a box the size of Texas, with a piece of bubble wrap the size of a gum wrapper. Broken all to hell, of course. Every item I've ordered has come similarly poorly packed, but luckily just less fragile. I do, however, appreciate their CS, both in terms of getting things resolved and in that their online live-chat CS is super-efficient.

I agree, I think I've had an issue with every order but their customer service always offers something. My last Lorac order was for 2 different eye gel pots, a lip gloss I purchased only for the name of it, and 2 of the same foundation.

And this is what happend:

Only the foundation ended up shipping well after the expected date so I emailed to get a status of the rest while the foundation was on its way to me. They basically cancelled the rest of my order and gave me a $15 credit and full refund because they over sold the sale and said I won't be getting the rest of my products. So i though no biggie I'm getting 2 foundations for free and a $15 credit. Well they continued to ship individually 2 more of the products, the lip gloss and one of the gel pots which has officially become my favorite! But when the foundation box arrived they had actually only put 1 in there not 2. I couldn't even bring myself to email again since I didn't actually pay for anything at that point.

So in the end I received 1 foundation, 1 lip gloss, 1 eye gel pot all for free and I have a $15 credit on my account that will expire around mid December. So I am hoping for so good brands over the cyber Monday time frame!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I'd move my comments on HL and Algenist over here from the enablers thread.  I think is just bad business to promote something that you are not selling.  I wouldn't be so irritated if they behaved like big boys and girls and just owned the error.  Simple honesty goes a long way.  They are choosing to insult our intelligence and that chaps my hide!!

Since Hautelook is a flash sale site, many of their sales are not endorsed by the brand themselves. (That doesn't mean the product is counterfeit, per se, just that the brand won't be responsible for any merch you purchase through Hautelook.)

So if you are having trouble with the Algenist flash sale, I wouldn't bother to contact Algenist directly because most likely through the terms of the sale there is nothing they can do.

I don't see the harm in contacting Algenist, if for no other reason than to try and find out if they actually had a product of that size on HL.  

Earlier in this thread, I ranted about a TheBalm blush that I bought and never received, but didn't update the story.  I got my refund from HL mid August, things got hectic for me and I forgot about it.  Then, the last weekend in September, a box showed up containing the ordered blush from HL.  The side of the box was crushed, but the label wasn't affected.  I have no idea who dropped it off at my door or where it had been for 10 weeks, but it did finally show up.  It is a "defective" product, I noticed, as the blush section of the packaging is upside down, not that it matters to me.

I did end up receiving a refund for the blush, since it didn't show up.  However, at some point after my last post, I decided to contact The Balm, because I was frustrated and, frankly, wanted to vent to someone.  I was completely shocked when they wrote back and told me that they were sorry and, when I received my refund, to let them know and they would let me purchase the blush for the HL price.  I was shocked and it was not at all why I contacted them; I mainly wanted to let them know about a possible quality control issues and just that I needed to vent.

From what I understand, HL sells products one of two ways.  They get X amount of product from a company and, in theory, when it's gone, it's gone.  Or they sell products for a set amount of time, then place an order for that amount with the company.  The company then ships the product to them and the package it up and send it off.  I assume, perhaps naively, that HL doesn't sell counterfeit items.  If I owned a company that did business with HL, I would want to be made aware of problems that HL might not be handling well, because it would affect people's perceptions of my brand.   

Nordstrom is asking me for more details. In case any of you missed it, I posted on the Facebook page of hautelook, Nordstrom and algenist. I'm more upset that they insulted my intelligence by lying to me. That is straight up wrong. I don't understand why there has to be all these hoops and they can't just say oops, we made a mistake. I'm not authorizing a refund, and I'm not returning anything until I feel the situation has been addressed to my satisfaction. Period.

And I don't give a flying f&$@ how HL gets there orders/products. I didn't make a mistake. (This message is how I feel towards HL, not posters here....you all are great! Hahaha!). Further, Algenist should care how their products are being sold/distributed.

Also, Poor Ulta...they always seem to be a step behind or left out!!

Nordstrom is asking me for more details. In case any of you missed it, I posted on the Facebook page of hautelook, Nordstrom and algenist. I'm more upset that they insulted my intelligence by lying to me. That is straight up wrong. I don't understand why there has to be all these hoops and they can't just say oops, we made a mistake. I'm not authorizing a refund, and I'm not returning anything until I feel the situation has been addressed to my satisfaction. Period.
I posted on HL's Facebook page last night and HL got back asking for my order number. Once I PM'd them the order number they emailed me back pretty quickly. It was very polite and apologetic, and they said they are going to contact Algenist to send me additional product for the mix up. She also said they'll be refunding me 25%, basically $10 back to my card. 

@ didn't you hear back from Algenist saying that HL is not an authorized seller and they will not be getting involved in this nonsense?

Edited to add: I had ordered the reconstruction serum duo for $39

Last edited by a moderator:
Back