• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to MakeUp Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

The HauteLook Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I don't give a flying f&$@ how HL gets there orders/products. I didn't make a mistake. (This message is how I feel towards HL, not posters here....you all are great! Hahaha!). Further, Algenist should care how their products are being sold/distributed.

Also, Poor Ulta...they always seem to be a step behind or left out!!
I know you said this wasn't directed toward posters here, but I want to clarify that my explanation wasn't directed at your situation at all.  Someone obviously make a cut and paste error, so I would insist they rectify the situation.  This might be a weird example, but every grocery store I've dealt with has a policy that, if the shelf price says one thing and it rings up something else, you get the item free.  (And this is off topic, but one place does.not.mess.around with that.  I once bought some soda and I guess the price was off by a dime.  The cashier called for a price check and I got it for free.  I had no idea anything was off.)

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, you go get them.  Voicing concerns and talking online about issues is really one of the only ways that consumers can hope to stay informed about the quality of products and companies.

I finally have a resolution I'm happy with :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

And posting on Hautelook's FB page seems to get a better response then chatting or calling. The CS have refunded 50% of my order because they only shipped 50% of the promised product. And I was also told that Algenist would ship the remaining part of my order sometime next week. I'll believe it when I see it :ph34r: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I think this was the fair thing to do and I'm happy that they decided to refund 50% of my $$

Thanks @@splash79 while I don't want anything for free, and I felt there was an error, lying is a big no-no. I see for some they are being honest and also offering better resolution. All I can say is if I get them for free, I would be BEYOND thrilled...assuming it is accompanied with an apology.

Reminds me of when I called sephora and told them my return in store of a 100 point perk rang up correctly, but my online part showed I redeemed for another, same, 100 point perk...she called me a liar and I had the receipt that I offered to scan and email to her to prove it. She decided as a courtesy to give me the points back. How thoughtful to courteously give me back what was rightfully mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally have a resolution I'm happy with :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

And posting on Hautelook's FB page seems to get a better response then chatting or calling. The CS have refunded 50% of my order because they only shipped 50% of the promised product. And I was also told that Algenist would ship the remaining part of my order sometime next week. I'll believe it when I see it :ph34r: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I think this was the fair thing to do and I'm happy that they decided to refund 50% of my $$
i've got Facebook messages to contact both Nordstrom and HL which I'll do tonight when I get home, more to come!have

I don't see the harm in contacting Algenist, if for no other reason than to try and find out if they actually had a product of that size on HL.  

Earlier in this thread, I ranted about a TheBalm blush that I bought and never received, but didn't update the story.  I got my refund from HL mid August, things got hectic for me and I forgot about it.  Then, the last weekend in September, a box showed up containing the ordered blush from HL.  The side of the box was crushed, but the label wasn't affected.  I have no idea who dropped it off at my door or where it had been for 10 weeks, but it did finally show up.  It is a "defective" product, I noticed, as the blush section of the packaging is upside down, not that it matters to me.

I did end up receiving a refund for the blush, since it didn't show up.  However, at some point after my last post, I decided to contact The Balm, because I was frustrated and, frankly, wanted to vent to someone.  I was completely shocked when they wrote back and told me that they were sorry and, when I received my refund, to let them know and they would let me purchase the blush for the HL price.  I was shocked and it was not at all why I contacted them; I mainly wanted to let them know about a possible quality control issues and just that I needed to vent.

From what I understand, HL sells products one of two ways.  They get X amount of product from a company and, in theory, when it's gone, it's gone.  Or they sell products for a set amount of time, then place an order for that amount with the company.  The company then ships the product to them and the package it up and send it off.  I assume, perhaps naively, that HL doesn't sell counterfeit items.  If I owned a company that did business with HL, I would want to be made aware of problems that HL might not be handling well, because it would affect people's perceptions of my brand.   
They also get items from third party sellers, in which case the brand that is being sold is NOT affiliated with the sale. Since Hautelook became a subsidiary of Nordstrom, I think this is happening less, but it doesn't mean it won't  happen. All of these sites do it, Hautelook just (used to) have better credentials. I've done research of the different flash sale sites and Hautelook was the only one I trusted to not sell counterfeits, because Nordies would get in big trouble if it were found out.

With that said, it was only a suggestion not to contact Algenist, since for me, it is extremely vexing to contact someone only to hear "we can't do anything". It was certainly not intended to advice anyone what to do in their situation, so I am sorry it came off that way. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

With that said, it was only a suggestion not to contact Algenist, since for me, it is extremely vexing to contact someone only to hear "we can't do anything". It was certainly not intended to advice anyone what to do in their situation, so I am sorry it came off that way.
Nope, not at all.  And I always need help with stuff like this so welcome all feedback.  I am going to check and see what the word on the algenist mix up is out there on the world wide web...however that may have to wait until tomorrow.  I slept 2 hours last night, and get up at 4am so its not looking much better tonight.  

Good night ladies!

I just realized I forgot to post pics and repost Algenists response, and the only update I have is that Nordstrom asked me for my contact info.  I messaged that to them on FB this morning so we'll see.  I've gotta get to work but will be better about keeping up over the weekend!

I just realized I forgot to post pics and repost Algenists response, and the only update I have is that Nordstrom asked me for my contact info.  I messaged that to them on FB this morning so we'll see.  I've gotta get to work but will be better about keeping up over the weekend!
@ wondering if you heard back from Nordstrom and Hautelook?

@ wondering if you heard back from Nordstrom and Hautelook?
I received and email that said Algenist is sending me the 'remaining product' and that I could keep what I have for a discount of $20 for the duo and $3 for the cream.  That as from Hautelook and then another facebook message from nordstrom just said I'd be hearing from someone at Hautleook.  I'm going to just keep looking online until my order comes then'll see what's going on and decide what to do.  :blink:

I received and email that said Algenist is sending me the 'remaining product' and that I could keep what I have for a discount of $20 for the duo and $3 for the cream.  That as from Hautelook and then another facebook message from nordstrom just said I'd be hearing from someone at Hautleook.  I'm going to just keep looking online until my order comes then'll see what's going on and decide what to do.  :blink:
I hope Algenist follows through

So...I was thinking about this a little more today...

It started with a PM that asked me if I could check my stash for her elfster, I haven't tackled documenting or locating that thread yet - the BST one, and since I'm in-between places, and things are all boxed up...I had to find all of my samples, GWP's etc., and now that I have most of it, I'll just tell you, I'm not ever going to finish the list! Anyway I came across my 'Algenist Pouch' and checked my reserves/samples and it hit me!

1) Hautelook did not advertise the Algenist products as 'Travel Size'

2) For sale, on the Algenist website, one of the products (the cream) is clearly advertised as a 'Travel Size' product (the other, the serum, is not available in a 'Travel Size'

3) The serum is not available in 'Travel Size' only DELUXE SAMPLE SIZE

4) I have many of the same size container in the 'Travel Size' that I received in sample bags from Sephora and as GWP from Ulta!

This means, to those of us who stalk the internet for free Algenist anywhere, would not have knowing bought something that I know I could get for free!   Hautelook is trying to make us pay for DELUXE SAMPLES!

Am I thinking right here??

EDIT, I forgot to post #3, and added #4

I am so confused about the Hautelook problems? Didn't y'all say they had the wrong image pictured but the text on the listing was right? Or... I mean, I am honestly not sure what is going on, so if anyone has actually received the products, and can compare it to the listing, I'm really interested. Like I said, I'm super particular about flash sale sites, so I need to know what to be careful of in the future!

Thanks @@splash79 while I don't want anything for free, and I felt there was an error, lying is a big no-no. I see for some they are being honest and also offering better resolution. All I can say is if I get them for free, I would be BEYOND thrilled...assuming it is accompanied with an apology.

Reminds me of when I called sephora and told them my return in store of a 100 point perk rang up correctly, but my online part showed I redeemed for another, same, 100 point perk...she called me a liar and I had the receipt that I offered to scan and email to her to prove it. She decided as a courtesy to give me the points back. How thoughtful to courteously give me back what was rightfully mine.
I am so over Sephora. I cashed in my points on the UD 500-point perk and now I'm done with them. 

I am so confused about the Hautelook problems? Didn't y'all say they had the wrong image pictured but the text on the listing was right? Or... I mean, I am honestly not sure what is going on, so if anyone has actually received the products, and can compare it to the listing, I'm really interested. Like I said, I'm super particular about flash sale sites, so I need to know what to be careful of in the future!
i think it was the right pictures (mini size), but the wrong description (full size) on one (or few) of the listings. but the description and pictures (mini size) are correct on the other algenist listings in that same sale. 

I didn't actually notice that the size of the serum was something you could see online - but you are right, the serum shows the mini size.  The cream isn't showing it's size.  Hmm....totally missed that.  I was only looking at the written size amount.  Oh well.  

Still a hell of a deal though!  I'm just waiting on my supplement order and then I am going to try asking to swap 2 minis for one full size.  We'll see.  The offer on the table is $3 for each cream, and $10 each for the serum.  While it is true I could get them free with purchase at various times during the year, upon checking my reserves I am not in the market for more anything right now.

IMG_6772.JPGIMG_6771.JPGIMG_6858.jpg

Guys...I heard back from Algenist...I'm truly starting to believe now that what we paid for was samples...check this out:

We are sorry about your experience with HauteLook. Distribution of Algenist products on hautelook.com was not authorized by Algenist, and we promptly took action. We are investigating further to get to the bottom of this. Algenist authorized retailers are algenist.com, Sephora/sephora.com, QVC/qvc.com, ULTA/ulta.com, Nordstrom/nordstrom.com, Space.NK/spacenk.com and Space.NK in Bloomingdales/bloomingdales.com. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,
Algenist Customer Service

Yeah, that's not cool - sounds like it was through a third party reseller, and Hautelook themselves might not have realized the error. Oh well, I am really sorry and I hope you are able to get a resolution!

Guys...I heard back from Algenist...I'm truly starting to believe now that what we paid for was samples...check this out:

We are sorry about your experience with HauteLook. Distribution of Algenist products on hautelook.com was not authorized by Algenist, and we promptly took action. We are investigating further to get to the bottom of this. Algenist authorized retailers are algenist.com, Sephora/sephora.com, QVC/qvc.com, ULTA/ulta.com, Nordstrom/nordstrom.com, Space.NK/spacenk.com and Space.NK in Bloomingdales/bloomingdales.com. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,

I had another thought...and here is what I replied to Algenist via FB pm:

I have not touched the products and they are still in the box they were shipped in. I will be in SF next weekend, and would be willing to meet with you if there is information on the products, or the shipping label, that may be of use to you in your investigation. I don't know if you share my concern that the products are counterfeit, but this would give you an opportunity to test them, too, I suppose. I will gladly assist you with whatever you need.

Sincerely,

This doesn't sound good. So how exactly is Huatelook promising to ship the remaining products directly from Algenist? I honestly think this was a communication problem here. Algenist intended to sell their products only on Nordstrom/Nordstrom.com but somehow it ended up on Hautelook. And the HL guys got the wrong size on their description page, most probably because they cut and pasted the product description from somewhere else. 

Back