The MSA & KB Limited Edition Beach House Box [Spoilers]

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So @ is this really true?  I find it hard to believe (please don't take that the wrong way, I'm not attacking you).  How could KB/MSA not have known this?  This is a HUGE MISTAKE (if it is really true).  But how come it is even being sold here in the US at all?  Why would the FDA allow a chemical that toxic to be in a product that we put all over our skin?  What if a mom puts it on her child?  

There are a group of batshit crazy women over on MSA blaming everybody BUT KB/MSA for all of  these mistakes, they even blame LLB for all of this.  Do you work for a subscription box company?  I'm only asking because I use sunscreen all the time and now I'm paranoid.  I stood up for this box, but if this is true, I will be very embarrassed for supporting them. 

This is true and I defenitley don't work for a sub box company. I'm a mom and work part time in health care. I'm also breast feeding so I've been looking for more natural ingredients. I talked my sister into buying this box as well and she contacted Kloverbox for clarification regarding this ingredient, and to call it to their attention. Still no word from them. She also has a baby and is breatfeeding too right now so we're both a little concerned. The ingredient is banned in other countries. if you google it you can see lots of info. Other than the sunscreen I think the box was pretty nice

This is not good and I got this box.  I just tried to post this as a question on MSA and Liz deleted them.  Maybe that's my answer, but I'm going to reach out to KB as well. 

Thank you @smarw.  It looks like Liz at MSA doesn't want to have anyone post something that will add to their woes over there.  What a mess.  I won't make a mistake like this again.  I'll let you know if I hear from KB, they've been great so far, so maybe it's just Liz at MSA.

Smarw, I found your information interesting and I did Google it as suggested.  I couldn't find a country where the chemical is completely banned, with most countries (including the entire EU) allow inclusion up to at least 6%.  Sweden has a partial ban on using it in children under the age of 2.

Considering that the ingredient can be metabolized and then excreted in urine, I understand your concern in using a product containing it as a breastfeeding mother.  I also understand that others should be concerned because of the contact allergen problem experienced by some users, as well as the possible hormone-like interaction.  I really appreciate you bringing this to everyone's attention because I think it's important information for us all to have.

However, I think it's also important to point out that the American Academy of Dermatology continues to recommend using sunscreens with this chemical.  Thus, there seems to be two sides to the debate . . .

That being said, you've provided us all with some very valuable information and I thank you for bringing it to my attention.  You definitely got me to educate myself and I will look for sunscreens with titanium dioxide and zinc oxide as more healthy alternatives - something I wouldn't have known to do without your information.  Thank you again!!!

People that live in CA will probably have grounds to return this box now! That warning is required by law!!

I've seen that warning on a yoga mat I bought at Walmart, made me a lil scared so I returned it without using it. Who wants to use something that may cause cancer?? I don't pay attention to ingredients at all though honestly, but if something has a sticker on it that says may cause cancer, I don't use it. Same goes for talc powder and mouthwash with alcohol in it, but what doesn't cause cancer these days? 

Thank you @ for the info about the ingredient. I didn't order this box but I'm always trying to educate myself on the ingredients and what products are considered toxic even though I use many makeup and skin care items that are probably considered toxic. During pregnancy and breastfeeding I followed the environmental working group and read everything but since then I'm moved back to mainstream products. I'm still careful with whole body moisturizers though since skin is the biggest organ. As a side note, I highly recommend Earth Mama Angel Baby for any expectant mothers and for post partum and breastfeeding as well as for baby care. Their products are the least toxic (zero) per the environmental working group and they perform well. I used them for many years. I even took the Earth Mama Angel baby wash to the hospital with the last baby and they looked at me like I was crazy when I said that our baby needed to be bathed with the soap I brought not the hospital soap. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20"> Our last baby got this type of treatment (everything natural and organic), our first one didn't and he survived. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20">

I feel like here in California we have that warning on almost everything. It's crazy. I try and do mostly natural and non-toxic at home but I try not to think about it too much because everything seems to have some kind of carcinogen.

I just recently read a study that was done in Europe about chemical sunscreens being more dangerous than being in the sun and the chemical sunscreens were found to be a risk for skin cancer. I wish I could find the reference now so I could post it here. I just ran across it quickly couple of weeks ago and forgot to bookmark it. I still haven't found a natural sunscreen that performs well or doesn't leave a white film and I've tried so many.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok here is a response I found in the comment section of MSA about the sunscreen:

Here is some information from Goldfaden about the SPF – hope it helps clarify:

“Based on the formula in Sun Visor, benzophenone is at 1% and bound to other ingredients allowing for the application of the product to sit on the surface of the skin and I am confirming that this formula DOES NOT penetrate the skin. I am confirming that we go through rigorous testing and follow all guidelines for safe sun protection allowable in cosmetics.”

Nice to have more info on this matter.  I m definitely curious about this ingredient now and will have my eyes open.  Thanks  ladies!

NM

I had a long thing typed out about the sunscreen. Summary - I am not going to use it.

Here is the response via email that my sister received from Kloverbox:

"Thank you for contacting Kloverbox. Per the Goldfaden website "Rest assured our products continue to be safe. The warning has been given to ensure compliance with Proposition 65 so that we can continue serving our customers in California."

It is clear this Goldfaden wants to be in 100% compliance. The ingredients check out to be completely safe."

This isn't really addressing the concern I don't think. She wrote them back stating that they market themselves as an organic and natural company and she doesn't believe this item falls into that category, but I think that's the end of their correspondence because she hasn't heard back.

I am not one to preach about ingredients but like @@Reija I've been trying to slowly move toward more natural ingredients for things that stay on my body like sunscreen and moisturizer especially since I'm breastfeeding and along with @@PA Anna I have sadly known a number of young people developing cancer over the past few years. If this item had come in another box it wouldn't be a big deal because it is a luxury item. I'm only having an issue with it because it came in a box that markets itself to be void of any added chemicals which is a big reason I wanted to try it. Thanks to all of you who have researched this more. I'm slowly educating myself on the subject with your help!

@ I understand. Since you read my post before I deleted, you are aware of my other concerns. I did email Kloverbox about them. I did use the sunscreen a couple of times on arms. I've used much worse in the past. My goal is to stay cancer-free preferably to at least my younger one graduates high school. I hope I stay cancer free my whole life! I am an older mom and the odds are slowly being stacked against me. I'm actively trying to do what I can to ensure that I am there for my children as they grow up. It's scary when your peers in their 30s & 40s have cancer and even more scary when they die from it.

@@PA Anna rooting for you and hope you do stay cancer free. It is very scary when people around who are young have to go through this. Our community lost a beautiful little girl to brain cancer a few years back and the whole community still rallies to raise money for pediatric brain cancer research by holding lemonade standings during a certain time of the year and doing different fundraising events in her memory. I've lost a few friends who were young mothers and it's hard breaking. At the same time there are others who are battling cancer currently who are young as well.

I really wish the scientist could figure out what really causes cancer. Just the fact that we have so many cases now that we didn't have before and it seems that cancer affects younger and younger people. It's hard breaking and I wish we knew what really causes it. There are many theories and people have used different methods to heal themselves. I just wish we had concrete answers but maybe we will never have them because there is no money to be made in prevention. All the money is being made in the treatments and medications not only for cancer but for various other medical conditions. As a Crohn's patient myself, I've lost most of my faith in the medical community. I chose to take my care into my own hands and by learning about different things and having tests done on my own outside of my doctor's orders. Not to bore you with the details, I was able to "heal" myself with diet. It might not work for everyone with my condition but just the fact that my gastroenterologist was not interested in hearing about what has worked for me, instead he wrote "patient refuses treatment" in my chart because I said I will not need the medication. It made me so angry because other Crohn's patients may potentially be helped with this as well. At least it's worth the try. It was worth it for me after almost 20 years of suffering. Didn't mean to go so far off topic.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20"> 

I really wish the scientist could figure out what really causes cancer. Just the fact that we have so many cases now that we didn't have before and it seems that cancer affects younger and younger people. It's hard breaking and I wish we knew what really causes it.
Cancer is such a broad term. All it means is that abnormal cells that are dividing. There are so many reasons this could happen in different parts of the body for completely different and unrelated reasons. We may figure out what causes some types of cancer, but really, we're talking about hundreds of totally different diseases.

That is so true @raindrop. A great point. I just got way off topic. Thanks for reading through my rant.

I hope this box is still good for the people who ordered it. Sometimes limited/special edition boxes work well and sometimes they don't and at times some people love them while some people don't care for the way the box was curated. I can only imagine how hard it is to curate a box and have it appeal to the masses.

@@Reija Those must had been a painful 20 years. I'm happy for you that you were able to heal yourself with diet. We follow mostly WAPF principles as does a lot of our customers. The majority of our customers are familiar with WAPF, GAPs, and leaky gut syndrome.

I brought a lot of sunshine into the house by using the polish today. The scent reminds me of summer. My younger son keeps asking me if it is fall yet.

Back