The MSA & KB Limited Edition Beach House Box [Spoilers]

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@@Reija Those must had been a painful 20 years. I'm happy for you that you were able to heal yourself with diet. We follow mostly WAPF principles as does a lot of our customers. The majority of our customers are familiar with WAPF, GAPs, and leaky gut syndrome.

I brought a lot of sunshine into the house by using the polish today. The scent reminds me of summer. My younger son keeps asking me if it is fall yet.
Changing my diet has made a world of difference in my fibro. It was actually my mmj doctor who educated me about leaky gut which lead to me returning to school to study nutrition. It amazes me how the vast majority of our country have such a disconnect between what they are ingesting and their health. We could talk for hours... ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Just catching up on the comments on this one (here and on MSA)...wow.  First off, thanks everyone for posting your insights here, I love reading all of your comments, positive and negative, about every box.  So many smart MUT ladies!  I didn't get this one because there were other places I'd rather blow my beauty budget, but I would have been reasonably happy with it if I had.  I won't go out of my way to trade for any of the items though because I have plenty of similar beauty items in my stash, and I have enough bags and pillows to last a lifetime.  So I can see why people are upset about this box not being special enough, even if the brands Liz selected are really nice. 

The thing that really strikes me is that people seem to have REALLY high expectations for $100+ boxes, to the point that it seems nearly impossible for any sub box company to curate one that won't tarnish their brand.  I feel like too many people buy these boxes to get an insane deal and not to get a nicely curated box of goodies.  It's always surprising to see people complaining about the value of a box that is still worth twice what you paid for it, even after taking sale items into account - regardless of whether the contents are what you wanted, this was a good deal.  All of the talk about returning boxes and doing chargebacks stress me out absent a legitimate misrepresentation or faulty product from the seller.  It seems to me that the best solution would be for companies to stop making these boxes a mystery and to post the contents in advance.  Then no one would have buyer's remorse and more people who ARE excited about the products would get a chance to purchase it because the box wouldn't sell out so fast.  Then all of these companies would have a bunch of satisfied customers and far fewer complaints to deal with. 

Very well said!  I bought the box from someone after seeing the contents. I'm so surprised at all the chatter.  It's a mystery box.  I hope a lot of folks know that people will buy/trade to get the boxes from them.  I just wanted to offer support for the box since the voices of non-support are so strong. 

I do strongly agree that these $100+ boxes should have the contents shown before purchase.     For example, if the sunscreen in this box had been shown first, people could have made a decision at that time and not feel so let down after they receive it.

A smaller priced box, I don't mind the "mystery".  But a box that is at that price range and higher?  They should reveal it

Isn't the mystery a big part of the whole thing? I wouldn't want them to spoil the surprise. It's up to the buyer to decide whether to take the risk. 
Personally I enjoy the mystery and the process of finding out spoilers / speculating what might be in the box, but it seems to me like there is a pretty large subset of people who are taking the risk and then aren't willing to accept the consequences or are extremely unhappy with the outcome of the gamble.  That sounds really harsh but I feel like the comments sections on multiple $100+ boxes have been really harsh lately.  I can't help but feel bad for the businesses...If I were in their shoes I would feel pushed into releasing the contents at the expense of the mystery.  Or just not offering the higher priced LE boxes anymore.  PSMH seems to take the negative comments in stride but I wonder how it will affect a smaller company like Kloverbox. 

(Again, I didn't get the box so I have no stake in this, I just wonder if there is a magical formula for getting a higher priced box "right" since so many go wrong.)

@ I knew it! I knew we could talk for hours.  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  One of these days I want to go back to school to be a nutritionist because of the people I interact with that are starting to learn about the connection of their gut flora and health. So many dreams :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Regarding $100+ boxes - I prefer knowing what is in the box if I had a choice. The mystery aspect doesn't play into it for me. There had been boxes that I saw that I would buy if I had known the contents, but I passed on it not wanting to take a chance. An example being the PopSugar Summer 2015 box.

I still remember the pit in my stomach when I opened up the PopSugar Fall box Iast year. That is a box I could had done without. I felt foolish for wasting that much money.  I wasn't able to use the cleanser because I am allergic to strawberries, the perfume smelled sickly sweet, the kids hated the gummies, the hat never looked right for me and ended up being used by younger son when he had an earache He used it indoors. I never did use the scarf. The lipstick was the only decent thing. I didn't feel comfortable using swap and was stuck with items I did not want or couldn't used. It was incredibly disappointing to me. Yet there were others that loved the box,  I try to be sensitive to people when they complain because I remember that feeling.

I don't see the sub industry changing their business model. I think I am in the minority in disliking not knowing what is in the $100+ sub boxes prior to their arrival. I don't even know if that model can be changed. I imagine that they need the sales to pay the vendors for the merchandise or place a down payment for a contract. There's also issues of procurement, deadlines, and unexpected events. I'm aware that there are companies that do it such as Organic Authority, Barneys etc., but they are in the minority.

I'm also more about seeing value in what I can use than the actual value of the box. I subscribe to a couple sub boxes that barely hit the cost of the subscription. Most times they put a smile on my face which makes it worth it.

I know, I am weird. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  At least I can laugh at myself. :laughno:

I prefer not to know what's in the boxes ahead of time and if I choose to go with a higher cost box, I know it's a gamble. I'm not comfortable in the $100 range due to that reason so I typically don't buy boxes that expensive and if I do it's not very often. I don't typically calculate the cost of the box either to see if I received what the advertised value is. In my mind as long as the value is around the price of the box I'm ok with it, anything above the price I paid is extra. If the box is really great, I don't even pay attention to the value.

<p>

Just catching up on the comments on this one (here and on MSA)...wow. First off, thanks everyone for posting your insights here, I love reading all of your comments, positive and negative, about every box. So many smart MUT ladies! I didn't get this one because there were other places I'd rather blow my beauty budget, but I would have been reasonably happy with it if I had. I won't go out of my way to trade for any of the items though because I have plenty of similar beauty items in my stash, and I have enough bags and pillows to last a lifetime. So I can see why people are upset about this box not being special enough, even if the brands Liz selected are really nice. The thing that really strikes me is that people seem to have REALLY high expectations for $100+ boxes, to the point that it seems nearly impossible for any sub box company to curate one that won't tarnish their brand. I feel like too many people buy these boxes to get an insane deal and not to get a nicely curated box of goodies. It's always surprising to see people complaining about the value of a box that is still worth twice what you paid for it, even after taking sale items into account - regardless of whether the contents are what you wanted, this was a good deal. All of the talk about returning boxes and doing chargebacks stress me out absent a legitimate misrepresentation or faulty product from the seller. It seems to me that the best solution would be for companies to stop making these boxes a mystery and to post the contents in advance. Then no one would have buyer's remorse and more people who ARE excited about the products would get a chance to purchase it because the box wouldn't sell out so fast. Then all of these companies would have a bunch of satisfied customers and far fewer complaints to deal with.
</p><p> </p>

<p>wow so many good points in this thread but I definitely have to agree with you here! It does make me feel a little bit anxious and sad when you know these companies some of which are small businesses have to deal with all the returns and chargebacks. But beyond that it's so unbelievably hard to know whether the mystery is what's making subscription boxes so fun and exciting for all of us. To have or not to have I guess that's the question. Would be interesting to see if it's just about the price or if in general people would much rather move towards knowing what's in these monthly boxes the not knowing. Perhaps it also just comes down to expectations not being so high so much as companies having a reputation of letting down people with what feels like cheap clearance type items and not really having that you unique factor to begin with. I don't know it's a tough one!</p>

I placed my :luv: TATCHA :luv:   order a few minutes ago. I think the code expires tonight. I lost my information card so I am not sure! I had to resist going crazy. I ordered the body butter, an eye mask, and a travel size hand cream. I'm running low on the body butter and hand cream, I've been wanting to try the eye mask. I read on a beauty blog that there is a new face moisturizer being released in a few days. It looks interesting.

>>>   "I think the code expires tonight.">>> how much? what was the offer on the card? Do you have a copy of it?  Specific Code? Generic? 

@@PA Anna rooting for you and hope you do stay cancer free. It is very scary when people around who are young have to go through this. Our community lost a beautiful little girl to brain cancer a few years back and the whole community still rallies to raise money for pediatric brain cancer research by holding lemonade standings during a certain time of the year and doing different fundraising events in her memory. I've lost a few friends who were young mothers and it's hard breaking. At the same time there are others who are battling cancer currently who are young as well.

I really wish the scientist could figure out what really causes cancer. Just the fact that we have so many cases now that we didn't have before and it seems that cancer affects younger and younger people. It's hard breaking and I wish we knew what really causes it. There are many theories and people have used different methods to heal themselves. I just wish we had concrete answers but maybe we will never have them because there is no money to be made in prevention. All the money is being made in the treatments and medications not only for cancer but for various other medical conditions. As a Crohn's patient myself, I've lost most of my faith in the medical community. I chose to take my care into my own hands and by learning about different things and having tests done on my own outside of my doctor's orders. Not to bore you with the details, I was able to "heal" myself with diet. It might not work for everyone with my condition but just the fact that my gastroenterologist was not interested in hearing about what has worked for me, instead he wrote "patient refuses treatment" in my chart because I said I will not need the medication. It made me so angry because other Crohn's patients may potentially be helped with this as well. At least it's worth the try. It was worth it for me after almost 20 years of suffering. Didn't mean to go so far off topic.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Wow just went back and read the entire thread. What an amazing and thoughtful discussion, probably the best one yet. Where else besides MUT can you go from communal expectations, ingredient research, cancer prevention, the state of the box industry, and then back to box love! Amazing. I am curious though, how come you went from breastfeeding and going au naturale to then reverting back to mass products afterwards? I've kind of been on an eco/organic everything research/books/documentaries/reports addiction for 6 years and its tough to stick to it but the minute I found out about cancers being literally cured in other countries (to the point where they Scarlet Letter doctors and falsify cases against them so they get de-certified) and North America being too capitalism driven to truly support "prevention" I felt the same way, I want to live cancer free even if its hard. But its soooo so obvious that diet and products play a huge role and we mostly ignore this, continuing to use what we dont understand or can even pronounce. Or maybe just self control is too hard to...well, control? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> But I agree with you, its overwhelming when carcinogens are in everything!

I like the comment above showing support for the box in a sea of complaints, they did curate a nice box, but honestly, this is the issue with "green" anything. And capitalism. If its cheap, or money is involved in any way, evil shows its head. I am sure they had the option to choose a million other products for the box, why choose one that would be controversial. Period. Was it cheaper, convenient, sponsored, etc. And its not just about beauty, that pillow...all that plastic and its inflatable?? How did that get overlooked as well. You know much gasses are released in hot stinky shipping trucks with that thing. Wouldn't put a baby's head anywhere near it! Sorry just my two cents and rant. Forgive me :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I am curious though, how come you went from breastfeeding and going au naturale to then reverting back to mass products afterwards?
This is a great question. I'm just too much of a makeup addict and I figured a face is less of real estate for using main stream products than the body is. I read ingredients in body products and try to only choose natural/organic ones. I like high-end makeup too much to give it up for good. Many high end products now are paraben and phthalates free so if I see that, I'm more likely to buy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
@@Reija, I'm the same with the highend products. Cant give it up but its nice to justify since most of them are moving in the right direction with ingredients anyhow, makes it that much easier!

Here is a link to the actual product which has a warning that is posted by law under California proposition 65 simply because that ingredient is on the list. http://www.goldfadenmd.com/sun-visor/
Just to offer another point of view on the ingredient in question...California's Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment is actually in the process of establishing an NSRL (no significant risk level) for benzophenone because it was determined after the comment period for determining if it falls under prop 65 that it's a group 2B.  Since this kind of thing requires a ton of red tape to get through, the label has to stay on there until the OEHHA releases the NSRL. 

https://www.khlaw.com/Prop-65-Warnings-Benzophenone-Required-June-22-2013

I have a science background and currently do regulatory work, so I can never resist looking up the actual facts around questionable ingredients.  Not trying to offer medical advice at all, just wanted to point out that it has not actually been demonstrated to be carcinogenic to humans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back