The Natural Curly Hair Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a fellow girl with curly hair.. I will post a picture later... but I dont have the courage to go a day without straightening it :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> haha

I know! I move alot so when I finally do find someone, I can't go there for more than a hair cut or two. I guess what I need to do is get a precise explanation from them about the cut so I can explain it to another stylist.

I always ask if there is someone working that has natuarally curly hair, but there almost never is.

Curly girl checking in. I have been transitioning back to my natural hair for about 5 months. I have so many products, you'd need a notepad to right down all my product recommendations. The things that helped me he most are

Curl Talk by Ouidad and Curly Girl Handbook by Lorraine Massey - These two books really helped me understand the nature of my curls.

Cutting back on shampoo - My hair lives for conditioner and moisturizers. I still use shampoo, but I make sure it's a moisturizing one

Banish the brush - My hairline literally rejuvenated itself from invisibility in 2 months after I stopped brushing it so much

Only comb when wet - I have type 4 hair (it's going to be an afro when I finally cut off the straightened hair) and my hair loves being combed when it's wet or damp. Combing dry leaves broken hairs allover the place.

I have naturally curly hair too and I am so glad to see this thread!! YAY. I actually swear by hair oil - they sell all types in Indian stores -but it tames my frizz and shows off the curls much better. I rarely flat iron now - I flat ironed for New year's Eve and that was the first time in about 6 months!

My hair is very curly, I have Shirley Temple's locks!!

Unfortunately it's a frizzy mess and it's easier for me to use a flat iron than to try to make the best out of it... :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

i have naturally curly hair. i use whatever i can get my hands on. lol. my hair isn't picky. it loves coconut oil, shea butter, and thick conditioners.

It's true flatirons are so much easier - takes me 20 min to do it. But after trial and error I learned that my hair works best the day after it is washed. The day of I put frizz-free cream or pomade - anything heavy- to tame it. It usually works as long as I dont mess around with it or use a blow dryer.

OMG...frizzy is such a nightmare. I have the frizzest hair (although, I am beginning to understand how to tame it). I was costantly taughted throughout my childhood. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I remember a stranger walking up to me and asking why didn't I know how to use a brush.

Another tip that works for me is to put your hair in a high LOOSE bun at night before bed and when you take it out in the morning, your hair will be frizz free.

Also - I highly recommend any pomade type of hair product. Seriously if you apply it to damp hair and let it air dry (HANDS OFF THE HAIR LADIES) it makes a huge huge difference.

Those anti-frizz serums never work for me. Nor do sprays of any kind. It has to be a pomade.

nexxus heat protectant spray works great to keep your hair healthy if your like me, and straighten every day

I think it is great that you've re-connected to the natural side =)

People spend tones of money on products that promise all this stuff but overlook the old time favorites. My secret weapon is good-ol "Mane-n-Tale" "Conditioner! This stuff is THE BOMB!!! Sure i've tried all that fancy-shmancy stuff from Deva Curl ..curly hair solutions (gross) and blah blah blah..from All the products i could buy from the curl mart on Naturally curly.com but this conditioner is my HG.

The Products I Use:

Shampoo: Cream Of Nature -original (which has no sulfates or cones and is basically the cheapest High quality natural shampoo you can find at the store without haveing to order off the internet)

Conditioner: Mane-N-Tale (the one for humans...duh)

Leave in Conditioner: Pantene Smooth and Sleek Leave in comb in Treatment (no-cones)

Styling: Citre Shine Curl Booster or LA Looks...the yellow one very very sparingly!!

Finishing: Chaz Dean Studios Fig Oil (smells like heaven)

Deep Co. Treatment: Curl Junkie Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix =)

I have naturally curly hair like Tia and Tamera from Sister Sister. When I wear it curly I use Paul Mitchell and Redken products.

Though I usually flat iron my hair and wear it straight while using Alterna products. I don't get relaxers/perms, so my hair is still super curly!! I like having the best of both worlds.

I heard Pantene is really bad for your hair...do you use this regularly?

:scared: aww me too *gives hug

Isn't it bizarre, but I have heard this too from my hair dresser to steer clear of Pantene as it is so bad for your hair. That just doesn't make sense to me.

What if you have an ionic blowdryer......??? Is it okay to use an anti-frizz serum then????

OMG!!!!!!!! i so know what you mean by people who don't understand curly hair. And i don't like when hair stylists try to make you feel bad because of the hair we have just because they dont know what they're doing. I'm still searching for a salon in cincinnati thats familiar with my type of hair. its so frustrating .........i share your pain

In singapore, all u can find is hair straightening stuffs, Cos the majority here are chinese. So i stick to my oils :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Another curly here, i am a 3a/3b. Over the last couple of years i have actually learned to love my curls, after years and years of fighting it. As a few of you have already mentioned above, the curly girl book is great, i do follow the conditioner only routine and it's been working great for me. And to be honest, i don't care anymore if curly hair is currently in fashion or not! I have had my hair straightened at the hairdresser's a few times in the past and always hated it, it's just not me. :scared2:

Back