The Natural Curly Hair Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have thick curly hair. I hate it and secretly love it at the same time. So sometimes (mostly in the summer) when I want to let my curls be free, the product line I use is called Mixed Chicks. It makes my hair so soft and shiny and leaves me with beautifully defined curls.

:plain: I KNOW!!

Yay!! I love curly hair! I wish mine was actually curly... it's more wavy-ish. I use Beyond the Zone Noodle Head products with Suave Naturally Heathly Curly Hair shampoo, and it sometimes makes my hair curly and sometimes it decides that it wants to be not-curly and frizzy. Lol.

Curly Hair Tips, Tricks and Advice --- the person writing this article has curly hair and she has a bunch of products that work for curly hair and different tips.

Jessicurl products have made my curly/wavy hair behave beautifully.

Never had such great looking hair with OTC products.

I too have started going natural, ditching the big round brush. My dh bought me a new ceramic blow dryer with a HUGE diffuser, and it has been AWESOME.

My hair is fine though, so I can't use too much product on the roots. I use frizzease mousse and diffuse, then I put frizzease serum on the ends. I also use the frizz ease shampoo & conditioner. But that's only because that is what I bought THIS time.

My hair turned super curly after my 2nd child, so I have no time to deal with the jennifer aniston style anymore! I think you just need to find a confident curly hair stylist. That is who made me change my mind about straightening and I am so grateful!

I have naturally curly hair, too! But I want to know if there is a way to calm my curls down into soft waves! I like my curls, but sometimes I just wish I could tone them down a bit, to make them soft, loose waves.

Megan, have you ever tried using hot rollers or those big round curling irons? the ones that are like 1.5 inches? That is what I did, and it held pretty well all day Sunday.

Yeah, I actually thought about buying some of those big rollers, but then my fiance said, "What do you need those for? I love your curls like they are!" So ended up not getting them, lol! But I think I'll go back and get them and try them, to see if they work!

I don't think I have posted in this thread yet...

But I have curly hair and have had it for my whole entire life. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I love it, because I can straighten it (which I do only three or four times a year) and the rest of the time I wear it curly.

I have found the products that work the best for me are the Marc Anthony products and Frizz Ease curl spray. I just found my new HG though and it is the Curly Sexy Hair spray in the blue bottle - it makes my hair full, curly, and wonderful without being crunchy or stiff, and I LOVE IT!!! It makes me so happy.

I avoid Pantene like the plague and also Tresemme. Those damage my hair seriously. I usually stay in the range of Biolage or Redken. I think of anything I buy, my hair is very important to keep looking its best.

I have naturally curly hair, too. When it's cut short it's like Shirley Temple! I have it on the longer side now, in layers. The weight of the hair tends to pull it down some so it's not super curly. I have been trying product after product to find what works best.

I tried Biolage Ultra Hydrating which a lot of people rate highly. Didn't like it, my hair felt dingy and straw-like. :sadyes:

I went to using Tressemme 2 in 1 shampoo with conditioner then used Curl Friends leave in conditioner after. This worked pretty well. My one issue with Curl Friends is it's scent is very strong! I prefer no frangrance or lightly scented products because if you use more than one - as most of us do, the scents start mixing and can be quite overpowering. I also used Curl Friend's smoothing serum as I got it free with my order from drugstore.com. It worked fairly well, yet also had a strong odor that I didn't really care for.

Just this week I tried Philosophy Shear Splendor, a rinse out conditioner. I've only used it once, but I really loved it! :lovelovee: It has a very light citrus scent that doesn't linger real long on the hair, so your hair just smells like clean hair. It made my hair really smooth and shiny and felt so good to the touch! I tried their anti-frizz serum too and it seems to help calm the frizzies better than anything I've tried.

If you want to try something to help pump up your curls, especially the days after your shampoo, Curl Friend's Revitalizing Mist has worked best for me. It's got a lot of natural oils in it and you just spray it on your hair and scrunch. It really helped re-awaken my curls but didn't make my hair crunchy.

Now I'll keep searching for the best shampoo, hairspray and deep conditioning treatment/mask!

Maria

Ladies, I have wavy/curly hair that I have angled in the front, and layered all over. It seems that the hair on the top of my head does not curl as much as the rest of my hair. I don't want to be bothered with curling irons or setting it in pin curls (an idea I saw on "What Not to Wear"). Can anyone offer me any suggestions? I use a diffuser when time allows. It seems that culing mouses make my hair too stiff, so, I have been sticking to gels and hair spray. HELP!! Leslie:bawling:

i'm not familiar with her methods. please post a link so we can check it out!

I have read Curly Girl and tried to no poo ,used a non silicone light coniditioner only . I made it for 1 1/2 months.

I now use Jessicurl low lather shampoo and the daily light conditioner.

Most I can go with out shampooing is 3 days. But I do at least rinse it daily , then a light conditoner.

I do like to use baking soda once a month on my scalp and then finger comb it out into hair,rinse, use conditioner..

I went CG for about 3 months but I couldn't make it either. I did learn a lot from it though and I'm more careful about silicone.

naturallycurly.com is a great site for us curlies. They have tons of advice and product information. A lot of the people there are CG or modified CG.

After about 4-6 weeks of not pooing, I felt kinda grungy. My hair felt oily too even tho I rinsed it every night and applied a light,nautural type conditoner.

Just did not like the feel of no poo that long.

what is the benefit of not shampooing for that long? i can't even imagine going 4 weeks with out shampoo! did your hair grow faster? break less? please let us know the advantages it gave you.

Joico K pak is the best...usually recommended for treated hair but works like a charm for curly hair...especially if its very dry and frizzy

Back