The Natural Curly Hair Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another curly girl here. I also recommend the Curly Girl book by Lorraine Massey and the naturallycurly boards. I use the Curly Girl method which means I only use shampoo maybe once every other week. When I do wash my hair I use conditioner. I like Suave Aloe conditioner for this. This method has helped cut down on frizz and my hair is much healthier. Here are some tips I've learned;

-Wash with conditioner just like you would a shampoo. I scrub my scalp with the conditioner and then rinse thouroughly. When I do use shampoo I make sure it is a non sulfate shampoo. I like Giovanni 50/50 balanced shampoo from Whole Foods.

-After washing and conditioning my hair (I like Jessicurl aloeba conditioner) I rinse out and use a microfiber towel

-After I take the towel off I apply a good amount of gel to my hair. I rake it though. Then I don't touch it. Touching my hair causes frizz.

-I never use a comb or brush. For me it causes frizz although for some people using a comb in the shower to distribute conditioner works well.

-I wash my hair every other day. Also I wash at night and air dry. When I go to bed my hair is slightly damp. I sleep on a satin pillowcase. When I get up in the morning I have frizz free curls.

-I don't use products with cones or proteins. These build up in my hair and cause frizz. Since I don't use a sulfate shampoo they are hard to get out of your hair.

-I do an acv rinse every 10 shampoos. I mix 1 tbsp acv in 1 cup of warm water and pour over my head after shampooing. I work it though my hair and then rinse thoroughly. Then I condition as usual. This helps get rid of buildup.

I use to dislike my curly hair but now I'm actually more comfortable. My hair back then used to be thicker now it's thinner so its not frizzy as it used to be.

I have that, too! I usually straighten just my growing out bangs and put my hair in a bun before bed( it makes the waves more defined).

I have naturally curly hair! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Atm though i blowdry and straighten it and have been for years.

I want to have it natural, but atm at the length it is, it loooks like a bad, bad afro
sadyes.gif

So im growing it, and once its to a length i like i will start having it natural :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

- Olive Oil and Natural Yoghurt mixed together is a 'hair mask' i swear by! I do it every time i wash my hair because i see such a signifcant difference when i don't do it and i hate it! The mask leaves my hair silky smooth, frizz free, and the dead ends look like they're not there! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back