***The Official Beijing 2008 Olympic Games Thread***

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Carolyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif Sorry folks, but if I didn't know who Shawn Johnson was I would swear she had just graduated from grade 3. Gymnastics is all about young, small, muscular, youthful people.In my opinion, a fine line between 13 and 18.

If you compare Shawn Johnson to the Chinese gymnasts, you can tell the difference a lot. Specifically with the shape of their bodies.
I was a gymnast for 9 years. When I was 11-12, I looked like Deng Linlin as far as body shape. When I was 16, I looked a lot more like Shawn Johnson. From my experience, it appears that bone and muscle mass increases greatly between those ages. I personally went from 62 lbs to 86 lbs. That's over 20 lbs. difference and most of it was bone, but I also gained muscle mass (which is pretty average). You can definitely tell that Shawn Johnson has gone through that change and the youngest of the Chinese gymnasts haven't.

Originally Posted by Karren_Hutton /img/forum/go_quote.gif They don't do anything for me personally!! Lol Don't hate, Karren! lol! j/k.
wink.gif

I have a feeling if they were hockey players, you'd feel differently! lol!

So Jonathan Horton is like 7 inches sorter than me
laughing.gif
...whatever, I still think he's a sexy beast
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by xtiffanyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif So Jonathan Horton is like 7 inches sorter than me
laughing.gif
...whatever, I still think he's a sexy beast
biggrin.gif
. He's an inch taller than me! W00T! lol.
Seriously, though...they showed a LOT of him last night, and I was beginning to wonder if the cameras were focusing on him so much because he was good at what he does or because he's the most attractive gymnast there. lol!

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif Don't hate, Karren! lol! j/k.
wink.gif

I have a feeling if they were hockey players, you'd feel differently! lol!

Female hockey players.... in evening gowns maybe!!!
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Karren_Hutton /img/forum/go_quote.gif Female hockey players.... in evening gowns maybe!!!
biggrin.gif
That would be a sight to see! You should start a league, Karren! I'm in!
ETA...oh, I thought you meant PLAYING in evening gowns. lol.

I'm already in a league.... and maybe the 8 women in the league would go for that but the big hairy guys would definately not look good in evening gowns!!! lol

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif He's an inch taller than me! W00T! lol.
Seriously, though...they showed a LOT of him last night, and I was beginning to wonder if the cameras were focusing on him so much because he was good at what he does or because he's the most attractive gymnast there. lol!

I also think that Artemev is a cutie
biggrin.gif
...we didn't get to see as much of him though. I'm sad that Horton finished 9th since the difference between 2nd and 9th was .4
frown.gif
. I was happy for Yang Wei though.
rocknroll2.gif
to him for finally getting that all around title!

There are many many gymnasts who are small and young looking- that is not the issue.

The problem is there is a rule that says the gymnast has to be 16 and we comply even if we have girls who are of Olympic caliber, they have to wait until they are 16 and we have consistant evidence that they are, in fact, 16.

These girls in question have evidence in the way of past news reports from their *own* country that clearly states that these girls are NOT 16 but now, in order to compete and have a solid shot at gold in their country, their do***entation suddenly says they are of the required legal age and they are calling their own newspapers that previously reported the ages in the past, incorrect.

All the reports in the past up this point has consistantly listed their ages as the same and there has been no confusion as the ages back then, but now there is an age requirement, the previous information is somehow "wrong".

No matter what the required age was to be, you can bet these girl's do***entation would say they were that age; if the age was 20, then they would swear the girls were 20.

Ok Phelps is just about to race the 200 IM and the female judge standing behind him was eyeing him over and you could almost see what she was thinking!! Hahahaha.

wow thats interesting Shaundra so i bet its real interesting for you to watch some of these gymnasts since you are not that far removed from them

oh man..i'm watching the 100m fly right now..sometimes Phleps makes me melt a little..

Woo hoo!! US gymnasts were awesome! In spite of those judges that were scoring completely out of line!

Originally Posted by Kathy /img/forum/go_quote.gif Woo hoo!! US gymnasts were awesome! In spite of those judges that were scoring completely out of line! I know, right! lol!
Yay Nastia and Shawn!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Darla_G /img/forum/go_quote.gif wow thats interesting Shaundra so i bet its real interesting for you to watch some of these gymnasts since you are not that far removed from them Yep! I'm a huge gymnastics fan! lol!
I'm also loving to watch Michael Phelps race too, though! lol!
wink.gif

I still can't believe how lopsided some of those chineese scores were.... The one on the beam looked like she was going to fall off half the time and she got a great score...

We still don't have a medal yet...sigh...but there are some good competitions this weekend where Canada might pull one off.

In a semi rowing competition, Canad and Poland were neck and neck.

Actually, we are slowly moving up in the standings. Canadian swimmers are getting in the finals where as last year, many didn't get past the heats.

Maybe is the water temp was just above freezing, Carolyn... Feel more like home?
biggrin.gif

I always thought the Canadians did great in the summer games?? I remember a lot of them medeling in track and field..

Ohh and what was with that sorry artificial turf in Toronto last night... Trying to trip up my percious Steelers? Lol. Well it worked... SIGH.....

Latest posts

Back