***The Official Beijing 2008 Olympic Games Thread***

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot all about Pittsburgh playing Buffalo - in Toronto. The game was held in the Rogers Centre, formally known as the Sky Dome. This is where the Blue Jays play.

The Toronto Argonauts of the CFL - Canadian Football League - play in the Rogers Centre when it's a home game.

There are always rumours about Buffalo joining the CFL, much like Baltimore did for one season. I guarantee the CFL fans would love it!

Last Olympics in Athens, we only won 12-13 medals. None were in swimming. Possibly in track and field but I can't remember any.

I do recall a medal in trampoline, two in canoe, rowing, we got a gold in gymnastics - men's floor, boxing, diving, wrestling, cycling, triathalon - a hodge podge really.

Canada does much better in the Winter Olympics. Plus in 2010 it will be home field advantage. We'll either do amazingly well or implode!

We should start a hockey talk thread - I miss dishing about hockey.

Here's two - what the heck is Sundin doing? And why in the world would Toronto get rid of McCabe?

Is that swedish guy still around? Been so long since I heard his name spoken... McWho?

Penguins broke ground for their new $335 million rink that holds... 1,000 more people than the iglo??? Wtf?? All the shovels had hockey stick handles... Probably made from the sticks they broke in the locker room after loosing the cup!! Lol

My last game is Tuesday... We sucked this season... Then 2 week off season.. Take the ice down.. And fall hockey starts again!! Were moving into the new office building in 2 weeks.... right accross the street from the Iceoplex.. Where Sid and company practice!! Guess where I'll be at lunch this fall??
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

I'll tell Sid you said hi!! Lol

And the artificial turf at the skydome looked like indoor-outdoor carpeting remenents sewn together..

Ohhhh. And Go Phelps... (Don't want repremanded for getting off-topic) .... Wait... Its my thread!!!
biggrin.gif

You don't know who McCabe is? He's Toronto's best defenceman. But he broke his leg in the mid season so he didn't put in a lot of ice time last year.

I don't understand how a free agent can take so long to decide when/if he will play again. I mean, if Sundin decides not to return, he's not giving Toronto much time to get another player that is as valuable.

Is the new arena going to be called the Iceoplex? Will it be ready for the 2009/2010 season?

Do you think that the Pens have a better team this year? It seems that they traded away a lot of good players.

I've seen the Argos play in the Rogers centre - on TV. The playing field looked pretty rough - and you could see all the bases in the brown dirt.

I like Phelps - I hope he gets all his records and gold medals - he's a genius.

But if I can make one comment - it is a bit sad to see some of the swimmers not even smiling when they won a silver or bronze. Ok, it wasn't a gold medal but it was still something to be proud of.

Don't know what the new arena wll be called? Probably. Xxxxx arena... X= who ever has the most money!! Lol. Supposed to be ready in 2010...

And the Iceoplex is where the practice.. South of Pittsburgh.. In Southpointe. I don't even know who we still have or who left! Guess I'll find out next month when I'm watching the training camp during lunch!!
y.gif
)
smile.gif

20 mines till Phelps tries for his 7(h gold!!

Originally Posted by Karren_Hutton /img/forum/go_quote.gif Unbelievable!!! I thought he lost!! By 1/100 th of a second!!! Amazing!!!! I know, holy crap!!! How'd he do that???

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif I know, holy crap!!! How'd he do that??? Looks like the guy on his left started to coast and Michael power stroked right into the wall.... wow

Hey everybody - Canada now has a bronze, a silver and a gold medal!!!

Two are in women's wrestling and the silver in two men rowing.

Congrats to the Jamaican that smashed the world record and Olympic record in the 100 metre race.

The wrestler that dropped his bronze medal has now lost it due to poor sportsmanship

- can't copy the source, my apologies

Originally Posted by Carolyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hey everybody - Canada now has a bronze, a silver and a gold medal!!!Two are in women's wrestling and the silver in two men rowing.

Congrats to the Jamaican that smashed the world record and Olympic record in the 100 metre race.

The wrestler that dropped his bronze medal has now lost it due to poor sportsmanship

Congrats on the gold, silver and bronze for Canada, Carolyn!
smile.gif

Yea for Canadia!!
smile.gif

Did he drop it on purpose? Didn't hear about that... Was just watching tennis... Swiss vs Sweden... and soccor... Argentina vs Holland.... While I was working on the french doors of coarse!!

Thanks Shaundra - I was starting to get worried about Canada lol

Karren, I was able to copy the source:

Wrestler stripped of bronze after dropping it in protest

Updated Sat. Aug. 16 2008 5:44 AM ET

The Associated Press

BEIJING -- A Swedish wrestler has been disqualified and stripped of his bronze medal for dropping his medal in protest.

The International Olympic Committee says Ara Abrahamian has been kicked out of the Beijing Olympics for violating the spirit of fair play during the medal ceremony.

Abrahamian walked off the medals podium and dropped the medal on the mat after taking third in the Greco-Roman 84-kilogram division Thursday. He became incensed when a disputed penalty call decided his semifinal match against Italian Andrea Minguzzi, who went on to win the gold medal.

The IOC executive board ruled Saturday the wrestler's action amounted to a political demonstration and a mark of disrespect to his fellow athletes.

The IOC says no athlete will receive Abrahamian's medal.

CTV.ca | Wrestler stripped of bronze after dropping it in protest

Originally Posted by Carolyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hey everybody - Canada now has a bronze, a silver and a gold medal!!!Two are in women's wrestling and the silver in two men rowing.

He needed to lose it. His behavior was ridicuous after the mat and and the ceremony. He said he didn't care for the bronze when he dropped it, anyway.Like a stomping, crying brat.

i did see the double skull win the Canadians had. way to go Canada.

I heard Poland won its first medal of the games too in shot put. please about that too.

and the Swedish wrestler. well he deserved to lose it. I saw a replay of the call and sure it was subjective but at that point its over. Now he has nothing.

The water cube is a pretty cool venue for swimming , but have you seen the stadium for track and field, called the Birds Nest.

thebirdsnest.jpg

It is really cool also. Women's marathon coming up tonight! the british favorite had stress fractures 8 weeks ago? we'll see

Anyone read that some of the fireworks that were shown on TV for the opening ceramony were computer generated just for the TV audience??? wtf????

Originally Posted by Karren_Hutton /img/forum/go_quote.gif Anyone read that some of the fireworks that were shown on TV for the opening ceramony were computer generated just for the TV audience??? wtf???? I wouldn't doubt it. They were probably concerned that the fireworks wouldn't be visible through the smog...

Originally Posted by Karren_Hutton /img/forum/go_quote.gif Anyone read that some of the fireworks that were shown on TV for the opening ceramony were computer generated just for the TV audience??? wtf???? Yeah, they said the display was too big to be able to show it in it's entirety in the tv alloted time so they had to record part of it and then show it at the same time with what was scheduled to broadcast.

Originally Posted by Darla_G /img/forum/go_quote.gif The water cube is a pretty cool venue for swimming , but have you seen the stadium for track and field, called the Birds Nest. http://rawartint.files.wordpress.com...ebirdsnest.jpg

It is really cool also. Women's marathon coming up tonight! the british favorite had stress fractures 8 weeks ago? we'll see

Yeah, that thing is crazy- in the opening ceremony when the guys were wearing those light up Riddler suits (they reminded me of Jim Carrey as the Riddler in Batman, lol!) they formed the shape of the Bird's Nest.That river they built for the white water canoeing and such is awesome!

Hopefully this link will work since it's a slideshow:

2008 Beijing Summer Olympic Games | Photos | NBA Finals Party & Swimming Photos | NBC Olympics

awwww Torres misses her gold by 1/100th of a second... same margin that Phelps won yesterday....

Latest posts

Back