***The Official Beijing 2008 Olympic Games Thread***

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
argh, what's wrong with two gold medalists? nastia looked pissed. i hope shawn johnson wins gold on the balance beam, she's too cute. what great poise and skills that girl has.

Sucks for nastia... too bad they have less experienced judges awarding the points. I keep hearing judges not scoring accurately... especially in gymnastic where scores are too high. Hmm. But at least she has a medal - a lot of countries don't even have one in their olympic history.

Anyone watch track... dunno the tall dude's name but he's from jamaica. Mans a beast! His height looks like a big advantage... I enjoyed watching him altough he has no competition really.l

And woot to walsh/may making it to the finals.

Did I hear that M Phelps not only one 8 medals but that 7 were world records? that's pretty crazy. I'm not much into the olympics so my favorite part was watching the sand zamboni smoothing things out at the volleyball pit. I didn't even know there were sand zambonis.

That tie breaker rule is a bunch of crap for sure!! Happened in the Womens high bars and in the mens rings.. Or was it the vault.. Lol.

Did you see the Russian woman set a new world record in the pole vault? The US came in silver and her coach was spouting some kind of crap at her.. He sounded like a complete idiot!!! Especially in national TV.. Even the anouncers were surprised.. He was talking about a meat grinder??? Hahaha

I used to pole vault in HS.. Always ended up going over backwards.. Didn't win squat!!

I didn't watch much last night because of my wifes birthday and tonight I have ice hockey.. Wednesday were going to Kennywood!!
smile.gif

Celly- I think you're talking about Usain Bolt. He most definitely is a beast. So fun to watch!

Karren- I watched that! What an idiot! Instead of being happy for her and congratulating her, he basically blamed her for not being experienced enough to win the gold. I would drop him like a bad habit if he were my coach.

41678525.jpg

If you haven't been paying attention to this sport, here's what happened.

China's He Kexin and USA's Nastia Liukin scored a very high mark of 16.725 during the Uneven Bars final, making them tied for Gold. Both with the start value of 7.7 and execution scores of 9.025. So how did Nastia end up with the silver? In the Olympics, there can be no tie. There have put this program in the computer that automatically breaks the tie. Basically here's how it works.

The execution marks are the average of the judges' individual scores. In case of a tie, they look at each score the judges has given them and eliminates the highest mark and the lowest mark given. In Nastia's and He's case, when they did that, they still tied. When that happens, the computer takes out the next lowest score, and thats when they broke the tie. He Kexin ended up with two 9.1s and one 9.0 and Nastia got two 9.0s and one 9.1.

I personally think that this system robbed Nastia of a Gold Medal that she deserved. But maybe that's just me. =P

Wasn't there supposedly an issue over He being only 14 instead of 16 anyway? Sounds like a fair, yet unfair way of scoring in the end. Sucks!

I'd say that the chineese girl was scored higher than she should have... She had errors and didn't stick the landing.. Hell one of the chineese on the vault the other night landed on her knee and she got a bronze!! So there is some bias going on, in my humble opinion.

There was a system in place for ties, that everyone knew about ahead of time and its logical... But the olympics is the only venue where ties aren't allowed.. All other competitions allow for giving out two golds and a bronze...

So that's the problem I have with sport you have to judge!! Need to change it to who ever get done first and runs accross the line wins!! May not be a pretty but it could be fun to watch!! Hahaha. Add come checking and it could overtake ice hockey in Canada!!
biggrin.gif

I think they should both be able to have gold. They're both amazing bar workers- He Kexin's back to back releases were fab and Nastia is always so elegant and lovely with her toe point and little details like that. I'm not too crazy about their tie breaking system.

It was fair and unfair at the same time.

It was fair because the tie breaking software was used correctly.

It was unfair because Nastia should have been given a higher score than she was by the judges. It was also unfair because He Kexin is in no way actually 16. lol.

I agree with Karren about the Chinese team given a higher score - even the commentators kept mentioning how He should have been deducted... who was the 2nd chinese girl in handle bars? She really had no mistakes apart from one and did a perfect landing yet got bronze?

And same with British - I personally thought she did well but landed roughly... like He.

So I dunno how He scored higher than those 3?

I don't think it was the machines fault or how the tie breaker came down. It was the judges.

Imho I think it was fair. That's just the way the olympics works. There has to be 1st, 2nd and 3rd and if there's a tie the computer deals with it which is fair.

The same thing happened for a gymnastics medal. It was between Britain and Croatia for the silver and because they both tied the computer decided Croatia won.

And also no wayyyyy is that girl 16!!!

I think it is completely unfair with the fact that there is now way that He is 16 which means she shouldn't had been there in the first place. I did feel that the judges were over rating the chinese team but I do think it was fair the way they broke the tie.

I also don't think that He looks 16, but then again, some asian girls look younger than they really are. I guess we'll never really know. And I actually agree with you guys. The judges over rates the chinese.

I'm bad, I read spoilers on Yahoo today. lol!

Let's just say I'll definitely be watching both men's and women's gymnastics tonight!

Latest update on the Canadian team - we got one bronze and three silver yesterday.

Brings the total to 13. Yee haw!!!

Ya know Karren, I'd like to watch you do the pole vault. That is one of those sports that looks easy but I bet it is very difficult. I saw the American coach and the pole vaulter but I didn't understand the entire story - did she think she should have had another chance or she should have won?

Lol.. Well I think it stems from the fact that I'm right handed but shoot left.. So when I went up to the line my habds always rotated the wrong way.. I think I cleared 8 foot.. Once.. I gave up on pole vaulting and went back to mindless running!!

I was queen of the 100 meter mossie!!

biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Back