The Official Eyeshadow for Beginners Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by sassychix ive been told numerous times that i can afford to apply my eyeshadow higher. (now im on d safe side with eye shadow just below the crease) bt i sooo wanna try, i just dont know how high to go, and like how to apply it? heeelp
scared.gif

Sassy- Just experiment! Have fun! I'm not sure if you're talking about any eyeshadow at all or just your darker shades, but you can wear eye shadow over your whole lid. Try a light wash (my favorite is a champagne color with a little irridescence) over your entire lid, and definitely right under your brow. Then use a medium shade (like a taupe for a neutral look) on your lid up to your crease. And a darker shade (mocha for neutral) on your crease, making it darker on the outer corners and fading lighter toward the inner corners. Make sure to blend! Start from here and then go wild. The fun about make up is that it's so individual and that you'll never know what looks good on you until you try.

Oh, and I recommend checking out a few makeover books from the library. That is a really good place to start to find eyeshadow and other techniques.

I think if you want to wear dramatic eyeshadow make sure your eyebrows are taken care off! LOL my close friend is a MAC make up artist and he always has to do my eyebrows before doing my makeup. Now I do it by myself.

But it really makes a difference.. its like having a clean pallette to work on!

My basic everyday trick;

If I have half a min, just pick the dark shade and blend them along my crease. Make sure it goes with blush and lip. Whatever the color is, always looks good.

A min, Add another lighter color just under the browbone.

Works everytime for a lazy one like me when I have no time in the morning.

I'm so glad this thread was created! I need some work on my eyeshadow..I'm so jealous of you girls who do it so well!

great tips so far!

i'm back with some more. i'm collecting these from articles, books, etc.

close-set eye shape: to pull the eyes apart, highlight inner corner of eyelids. define the outer corners of the eyes with deep shadows.

hooded eye shape: using midtone and contour colors, apply it and then blend them to the hooded area, giving the illustion that the area recedes.

wide-set eye shape: apply a darker midtone to the inside hollow of her eyes to visually pull the eye placement closer together.

basic eye shape: highlight eyelid to brighten the eye, then concentrate on definiing the crease and the lash line.

hooded eye shape (asians): apply midtone and contour color to hooded area of the lids to help them recede and open up the eyes. subtly layer color, starting with one layer of midtone, then follow with additional layer to help the hooded area appear to recede naturally.

Originally Posted by dngreenwood I did buy some wet n wild shadows yesterday (I just cant' see myself paying $$ for the good stuff until I figure out what I am doing) and although I liked the two looks I did on my eyes (I followed on of Devin's tuts) how do I get a cheap shadow to 1. stay put and 2. give me more of an intense color?? Am I asking for too much from a 3.99 eyeshadow trio, lol!?! i'd use a primer, either l'oreal's de-crease (low budget) or urban decay's primer potion ($14), the most popular. i haven't used w&w's eyeshadow, so i'm not sure how intense it is, but if you wanna practice, get prestige, milani, or jane eyeshadows! those are inexpensive and work JUST as well as mac's (most of them, anyhow).

Originally Posted by sassychix ive been told numerous times that i can afford to apply my eyeshadow higher. (now im on d safe side with eye shadow just below the crease) bt i sooo wanna try, i just dont know how high to go, and like how to apply it? heeelp
scared.gif

i like using a crease brush for this (i use trish mcevoy's). i think when it's brought up higher, it looks much nicer! i guess there's select few, though. i could see it looking good on you!

Originally Posted by jloprincess2002 I think if you want to wear dramatic eyeshadow make sure your eyebrows are taken care off! LOL my close friend is a MAC make up artist and he always has to do my eyebrows before doing my makeup. Now I do it by myself.
But it really makes a difference.. its like having a clean pallette to work on!

i totally agree!!

good idea cassiclausen. thanks for the help with the shading of the darker color and making it blend better. i want to get into more makeup. i dont wear makeup, but people say that i have that face thats good without it, but will enhance my everything on it.

thanks and put up some more things for me

im new to e/s as well

so what size brushes should i use for creases, brow bone, etc... because i have found some really good ones from eckerd, so i stocked (on sale ) up . i have angled flat eyeliner , dome, angled round, someothers... any help would be appreciated!!!!

This thread is amazing and just what I need. I have no clue on how to do my eyeshadow, so I never wear it. I would really like to know how to make my eyes appear larger, and how to do a soft smokey look. Everytime I try, I end up looking as if someone punched me
scared.gif

i only wear liner/shadow on my top lid...how can i get that sexy look on the bottom (what's it called) without looking like a raccoon?

I like to use coordinating colors, think 7th grade art class. Like I'll use and nude silvery color under my brow to highlight beneath my brows. Then I'll use cream eyeshadows. To apply I simply pat the color with my fingertip then pat it into my eyelid blending as I go. It creates a professinal look. And on hot summer days I'll set the cream with a little stroke of powder.
heart.gif
patches.gif

I think when going beneath the eye, at least being a beginner, it's best to stay within 2 or 3 shades from your skin tone. If your feeling colorful. Try a colored using a highlighter in the rim for a bright eyed look. Then right below use a colored eyeliner.
tongue.gif

thanks.. like michko, either the colour doesn't stick or i end up like having too thick layer which looks soooooo horrendous... can someone help?

Back