The Official Eyeshadow for Beginners Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can never seem to find the right color combinations to smoke my eyes. Being a black girl, I know that it'll take a darker color for it to show up on me (this is actually my problem with a lot of shadows). I got up the notion to smoke my eyes before my fiance and I went out last weekend. I thought I had done a pretty good job, considering, until we got on the elevator and he says "Did you just wake up? You look like a racoon." Damn. I can't decide if he just doesn't know what look I was going for (he's anti-makeup) or if I really did look like a racoon. LOL

I've given up on primers that have any type of color. They're always too light for me. If anything, I put Photofinish on my eyelids. Also, I don't do any frosted or cream shadows. From experience, it just looks like I threw metallic glitter at my face. I'm sticking to various browns and champagnes for a base, and maybe a swipe of warm color on my lid (greens, deep pinks, deep blues). I think its much better to do something relatively basic very well, than to do something far out badly.

Just a couple tips from mark.

# 1 When lining your eyes, always line thicker to thinner in order to create the effect of a more almond shaped eye.

# 2 Pressing, instead of sweeping, eye shadow on your eyelids with your finger or eye shadow brush will help achieve a brighter more brilliant color on your eyes.

# 3 When filling in your eyebrows, choose a pencil or eye shadow that matches the shade of your eyebrows not your hair color.

# 4 The proper tools are the key to applying makeup like the pros.

Hi - I hope these eye makeup tips can help someone - I'm a makeup artist and would like to share with you what simple tricks work for me - 1st always apply foundation to your lids - then set with loose powder (make sure the foundation is even on the lid before applying the powder) - you want to have a smooth base - this will help your eyeshadows to go on easier and last longer.

Another trick to blending eye makeup is to brush loose powder over the top of your eye makeup.

Please let me know how these tricks work for you. And please use brushes or sponge tip applicators when applying eyeshadows - you'll have more control.

Agostina

I have small eyes and you can't really see my lid much at all when my eyes are open, but then there is A LOT of space from my cease up to my eyebrow, so if I only apply shadow right in my crease and then open my eyes, it disappears. I feel like I have to bring the crease color up higher to take up some of that space leading up to my eyebrow. Does anyone else deal with the same issue? Does anyone have any tips for me?

Originally Posted by rubies /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have small eyes and you can't really see my lid much at all when my eyes are open, but then there is A LOT of space from my cease up to my eyebrow, so if I only apply shadow right in my crease and then open my eyes, it disappears. I feel like I have to bring the crease color up higher to take up some of that space leading up to my eyebrow. Does anyone else deal with the same issue? Does anyone have any tips for me? I do the same thing. I bring the darker crease shade up higher toward my browbone, not TOO high, or it looks ridiculous. Then I make sure I blend well with the highlight color near the browbone. I also only apply the darker shade from the middle of the crease outward and not over the whole eye. This makes my eyes look bigger.

Hope that helps.
handkuss.gif

This thread is awesome! I'm a total novice when it comes to eye makeup, so it's a holy grail for me
laughing.gif

Hi there i;m new..

This thread is great i loved it and just learned so much..

yey! im so glad i found this forum! i just started with makeup and the first eyeshadows i bought are the BE glimmers! can you recommend other brandss as well?

Back