The Official Eyeshadow for Beginners Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of great tips in this thread. I'm going to get a lot more use out of all my palettes now =).

Thanks very much for this thread, quite alot of it is very helpful to me... now I may actually know what I'm doing, rather than just muddling along
smile.gif

This thread is so useful. I've been following it for a while... your ideas and tips are priceless.

Okay, can anyone give me a simple-to-understand "how-to" on doing the smokey-eyes effect? I've tried it several different times by myself, and it always comes out looking... well, gothic. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but for me, it is, since I'm not into the gothic-scene. I just want to be able to do the smokey look that is so pretty. I've got the colors, but I don't know how to apply them correctly to look smokey-esque. And, if it helps, I have almond-shaped eyes. Thanks for any help! :)

i really appreciate this! I never really knew all the differences in shadows nor did I know how to apply what to what kind of eye. Hopefully now I can stop making so many horrifying mistakes

One of the best tricks I learned with eyeshadow is to use a templet...this is an Alexis Vogel trick...use a folded tissue and line it along your outer eye, from that side's outer nostril to the very far end of your eyebrow. With powdered shadow tap tap with your brush, start application on the outer corner, Bottom lid, then follow the templete up to upper lash, stroke almost half-way across lid, the upward. Then dip your brush-tap tap- on your powder shadow, begin at the upper lash line in the corner at the templet, and stroke horizontally up to the crease and just above the crease. (You would have put on a powdered highlighter under your brow before you apply your shadow). Remove templet. Alexis recommended a blending brush from MAC's website to blend the shadow up to the highlighter after you finish shadow application. This technique will give you a cat-eye look.

Quote:
Okay, can anyone give me a simple-to-understand "how-to" on doing the smokey-eyes effect? I've tried it several different times by myself, and it always comes out looking... well, gothic. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but for me, it is, since I'm not into the gothic-scene. Ditto here. I had a first make over, and the artist decided to go for the smokey eyes look. I think she choose that as I'm a guy and she didn't want to shock me. Like you I'm not into the goth look or scene. I will say she did a lot of things I did like though. But back to eye shadow, I know nothing about it. Are you just supposed to go on your lids, above your lids, and if so where? What about color? How do you pick a color? The color of your eyes? Match you clothes? Personal preference?
I went to a Mac store and told them how with the goth look, my eyes looked very set back. They suggested color underneith the eye. Would this help? Once again, how do you select color, what about application. One thing I don't want is to look like a fool who just smeered makeup on.

Quote:
First, take your shadow and fill in from your lash line to your crease (but NOT above) across your entire eyelid. Then use them tip of the applicator to line just under your lower lashes. Go from the outer corner to about two-thirds across using wiggling motions along your lower lash line. Now, blend your lower lash "liner" up to meet your eyeshadow at the outer corner. Ah eyeliner, so many kinds I have no idea how to get started with that.

Originally Posted by color_me /img/forum/go_quote.gif Ditto here. I had a first make over, and the artist decided to go for the smokey eyes look. I think she choose that as I'm a guy and she didn't want to shock me. Like you I'm not into the goth look or scene. I will say she did a lot of things I did like though. But back to eye shadow, I know nothing about it. Are you just supposed to go on your lids, above your lids, and if so where? What about color? How do you pick a color? The color of your eyes? Match you clothes? Personal preference?. There's a great tutorial for an easy smokey eye that might help. Here's the link.
https://forum.makeuptalk.com/f91...ial-36727.html

Thanks for the link kaville, Unfortunately I have to have 10 posts to view links. Not sure why the board is set it up that way. Guess I'll have to do some posting.

color me

Originally Posted by color_me /img/forum/go_quote.gif Thanks for the link kaville, Unfortunately I have to have 10 posts to view links. Not sure why the board is set it up that way. Guess I'll have to do some posting.
color me

BINGO!!! That's the whole idea! Incentive to post, post, post!!! lol....

Quote:
BINGO!!! That's the whole idea! Incentive to post, post, post!!! lol.... Yup, I guess I find it hard to post on stuff I know very little about. Oh well, this makes another post.
color me

Latest posts

Back