The Official Eyeshadow for Beginners Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow just finished this thread, awesome tips
smile.gif

I'm color blind / don't know what color of eye shadow for my eyes (pale blue) is the best. Obviously I'v tried different colors / brands, but I'm looking for some good advice. Any suggestions? Once I have that down I'll move onto learning how to apply it well
smile.gif

I just love this thread ..awesome..

also i found this interesting link for beauty product reviews and tips from celebrities

forums.luxuryfashion.com/forums

Hi, this thread is amazing! There are so many wonderful tips.

Can someone recommend a few MAC eyeshadow colors that I can use as an all over wash (for those days I just barely make it out of the house on time for work). Neutrals only, please!

Thanks so much!

Does it matter if the brush is synthetic or natural haired?

Also, I've actually been kinda confused about this: When you apply primer to your eyelid, is that ust up to the crease, or all the way up to the brow bone?

hihi just a question ><

I have brown eyes.. and I have a fair skin tone.. so Im not sure what colours should I use for eyeshadow..

I tried blue and pink.. however I want to know whats a good mix

Originally Posted by cutepetz /img/forum/go_quote.gif hihi just a question ><I have brown eyes.. and I have a fair skin tone.. so Im not sure what colours should I use for eyeshadow..

I tried blue and pink.. however I want to know whats a good mix

I have brown eyes too, and fair skin. I used to use blue and pink all the time, so much fun and so pretty!! Go for it! This weekend I'll do it and post a pic.

I'm far from being an expert but here are a few pointers I've learned over the years:

When deciding on your eyeshadow colors to bring out the shade of your eyes, match the opposite colors on the wheel. To bring out the hazel of my green, for example, I enjoy browns, golds, and purples and some light pinks, shades with reddish undertones.

When following the above advice on your color remember that you can go beyond that and pick the right shades of purple, etc., for YOUR shade of green/hazel, not someone elses green/hazel. Sorry if this sounds confusing but what works for one shade of blue eyes will not work as well for a different shade of blue eyes and vice versa.

You can finish off most natural eyeshadow touches by finishing it off with a lighter shade brushed up the center of the eye over the lid, crease, and to the browbone to "brighten the area" and match everything up. Not a big skunk line but a blended line to draw attention to the middle of the eye, synchronize everything, and just open things up.

You can wet some powdered shadow for a dewy and more intense application of color, then dab on with a brush and smear with your smearing brush to blend things out.

Applying a lighter shade to the inner eye opens the eye, brightens and helps enlarge, but applying light color in the outer corners can minimize fine lines and imperfections.

this is a great thread.

good to know im not the only one lost here.

i'm trying to get the right brushes, learn how to use them. learn how to blend. i still feel lost but am getting there. hopefully.

I learned from a woman at a counter to use a bigger eyeshadow brush to blend in 2 colours, and to sweep "up."

What I want to learn most is how to do the full eye, and how to apply eyeliner so it doesn't look so obvious --> more natural.

I have more lid area than brow bone area and i think my lids are a little droopy, so I can't make the outer 'v'. Can anyone tell me how to make that 'V' shape which gives you the 'CAT EYE'. thanx.

Great thread with lots of great tips!

I'm no pro either, but I love eyeshadows. I especially love urban decay. all the colors are really vibrant, even the simple beiges and neutrals. nice shimmer and matte shadows.

Urban Decay's primer is also amazing. I gently use the wand and place just a little bit of primer on the crease of my lids and then spread it with my finger. Your eyeshadow will seriously stay on all day. It's the best primer I have ever used. No creasing or greasiness.

With regards to eyeshadow application, I use the technique someone else was mentioning about using dark shadows first (with a small brush), then light and then blend (with a larger size brush). Blending is crucial for a more natural look. You can find a lot of videos on youtube about blending
smile.gif

Hope this helps!

~Cindy

i never use just one shade of eye shadow.

i usually use 3 or 4.

one for the lid, crease, browbone, and sometimes outer corner or middle of the eyelid..

a nice thing for people with smaller eyes i think is to put a bright shiny color in the middle of the eyelid.

like a pink eyeshadow on the outer and inner corners, with a pop of a shimmery or glittery champagne color in the middle.

Originally Posted by mollydolly /img/forum/go_quote.gif i never use just one shade of eye shadow.i usually use 3 or 4.

one for the lid, crease, browbone, and sometimes outer corner or middle of the eyelid..

a nice thing for people with smaller eyes i think is to put a bright shiny color in the middle of the eyelid.

like a pink eyeshadow on the outer and inner corners, with a pop of a shimmery or glittery champagne color in the middle.

im going to try this thanks !!!!!!
rockwoot.gif

I have very green eyes, fair skin, and black hair. This combo makes it easy to use just about any color, but the only way to know for sure if a color works on me is to try it! If you've been using just a couple of colors for years (blue/pink for one color eyes, brown/purple for another) try stepping up the intensity of those colors first, then stretching out to completely different colors. I use lots of gold, brown, pink, peach, purple, bronze, copper, blues, greens, yellows, and even reds and oranges. Morgana Minerals has some fabulous shimmers, Coastal Scents, Urban Decay, Frynniae, and of course, try ebay. There are many shades of every color and every eye color should be in make up heaven justing looking at the sites. Try orange and red on brown eyes, copper and bronze on green, mauves, golds, and browns on blue. The possiblities are exciting.

I know i've seen the thread before, but i just cant seem to find it, the one about pink eyeshadows, and how to make it not look like you are sick. if anybody can help me find it... please and thank you!!

can you do the smokey eye look black eyeshadow(pics below ) if your very white with black hair and small eyes or will that just look bad????

oh my eyes are brown by the way

Latest posts

Back