The official make your own mmu thread!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh definitely, eye shadows will be the first things I'll be making. Just imagine all this trial and error! I can't wait to try this. *Starts dreaming about many many eye shadow colors in the near future.* Time to do some more research before I actually start. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

That POP colours eyeshadow kit from TKB is a good start. You can make tons and tons of colours from that.  Print off a picture of a colour wheel and you should be good to go.  The key is to use the smallest scoop possible to get your ingredients.  Make tiny batches because a little goes a LONG ways.  I gave away more eyeshadow than I kept and I still have the batches I kept and I've been using them for over a year.

Thank you for the advice. I can't wait to get started! Hopefully it goes well enough that my mom will want to try some. She doesn't believe in loose powder eye shadow though. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

She'll probably try it if you made some awesome irrisistable colours. I didn't like loose either but I got used to it.  It's like using MAC pigments. 

This is really amazing. I started making my own eye shadows a while ago, and it's the most addictive thing in the world!! It's also really easy to press your own shadows (just pick up the small size of the my mix pressing medium), mix it with a good size amount of loose powder (it helps if you add a bit of zinc to help bind the powder) then press it in layers. If you do what I did and press it into the 5 gram jars,  you use a lot more loose powder than you think you will.

If anyone's curious to see my work so far, it's on face book under Spellbound by Jynx (facebook.com/SpellboundCosmetics). I really can't go make more of a certain color without making a few new colors afterward, that's how addicting it is! I just made foundation today, and my next project is going to be a good eye primer.

Thank you Ice Cookies for start this thread. I could read and note it all day. What a great idea

I'm sorry, I don't know what GOW means. 
icon_sad.gif

I also would like to ask, do we absolutely need a little blender to mix the MMU ingredients in? I only imagine myself receiving the ingredients and wanting to mix right away and not having a blender dedicated to MMU yet.  I saw some girl on YouTube make MMU and all she did was shake a little jar!

GOW stands for a website called Gardenofwisdom.com

If you want the colour to mix well with the base for your foundation, you need a blender or a magic bullet that will grind that stuff WELL!  If you don't blend it well, your foundations will streak when you apply it.  You can mix eyeshadows in a baggie with no problems at all.  In fact, you shouldn't blend shimmer shadows in a blender, they'll be ruined. 

Originally Posted by Juntra /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm sorry, I don't know what GOW means. 
icon_sad.gif

I also would like to ask, do we absolutely need a little blender to mix the MMU ingredients in? I only imagine myself receiving the ingredients and wanting to mix right away and not having a blender dedicated to MMU yet.  I saw some girl on YouTube make MMU and all she did was shake a little jar!

Oh, thank you. So looks like a blender isn't absolutely a must yet because what I'm aiming to make is super shimmery shadows. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Definately get some small ziplock baggies so you can mix and store in the same bags.  You don't get a good mix by shaking it up in a small container.  It just doesn't work and it'll be too messing to mix up with a stick once you get it in a little jar.  Jars take up a lot of room, unlike baggies.  The blender is only for mixing oxides to your shadows.  They need to be ground in.  If you make a base, you'll need to grind those ingredients together as well.  If you buy a base, you only need to smoosh it around with the shimmery micas in a bag.  Get a colour wheel or print one.  It's very useful.

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Definately get some small ziplock baggies so you can mix and store in the same bags.  You don't get a good mix by shaking it up in a small container.  It just doesn't work and it'll be too messing to mix up with a stick once you get it in a little jar.  Jars take up a lot of room, unlike baggies.  The blender is only for mixing oxides to your shadows.  They need to be ground in.  If you make a base, you'll need to grind those ingredients together as well.  If you buy a base, you only need to smoosh it around with the shimmery micas in a bag.  Get a colour wheel or print one.  It's very useful.

Wah! It sounds so complicated now!

Not complicated. It'll make sense when you get started and become more picky as to the colours you wish to create.  The first while, I was just happy that they didn't turn out to beige.

Thanks for the heads up.  I didn't know.  Good thing I bought an ounce of each a while back so it'd last me a while yet. 

Originally Posted by LAminerals /img/forum/go_quote.gif

TKB has discontinued the POP micas
sadyes.gif
. But it is possible to find close substitutes. 

OMG amazing thread. Been combing over it for awhile. But I had some questions. I am looking specifically at Coastal Scents make your own mineral kit, I'm really interested in getting it but I had questions I really hope some of you may be able to answer for me. I tried to see if they had been asked all ready but I can't find them (that could be cuz my eyes aren't too great though) so forgive me if they have been asked all ready.

First I want to know of those who have purchased this set, what were your expeiriences with it? Did you like working with it, dislike it, did it ship with stuff broken etc.

Second Would this set be better than the one on tkb since that one looks to be more like a sampler kit?

Third these products are safe for cosmetic use right? no soap dyes or anything thats not eye or face approved?

and last If you have used the Coastal scents kit how many uses were you able to get out of it?

Thanks ladies. amazing thread.

I've not bought the CS kit but I did start my mmu making with the TKB kit. It is clear that CS kit is much larger than the TKB's but it is more comprehensive.  I have bought from CS and they have great product quality.  As this kit is put together for mmu, the ingredients are intended for mmu.  

1lb per base ingredient goes a long ways.  I only make 54g at a time and it lasts me 6mo+ per batch.  I say go for it and get the e-book too while you are there.  Its good that it comes with a scale but you'd need either a blender or magic bullet (one dedicated for mmu and no longer used for food prep).  MMU needs to be ground together. 

Back