The official make your own mmu thread!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by BBFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hello!

I am a newbie here. Massively late to the party... I have (like so many before me) read, made notes and re-read this thread.

I have been trying to make some eyeshadows. I saved up and bought a heap of stuff from TKB.

However I am rather disappointed with my work. 

Here's an example of a recipe that I made under the illusion that all I needed to do was mix a few colored micas into a TKB pre-made base...the results? Well they aren't metallic looking enough for my liking and the one I have made below, looks kind of muddy and dull.

So the question is, do I need to thin the whole thing down with serecite or boron nitride, or add more mica like a pearl white?

Recipe:

2 scoops smoky xxx

1 scoop true blue

1 scoop sparkle turquoise inference

1/2 scoop black mica

1 scoop silver sparkle

2 scoops matte texture base.

I guess I would like a great base to work from, though I know its down to personal preference.

TIA!
You may want to use a shimmer base for your shimmer shadows. Matte base for matte shadows. That is what we do. Otherwise, you dull down the shimmer effect. Boron Nitride (glow) with Pearl sericite, Mag stearate and Mag Myristate makes a good shimmer base.

Originally Posted by LAminerals /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It really depends on the silica. We use 3 different versions in our formulas. Silica shells absorb 5 times their weight in liquids! We use that in our Oil Control Powder.

I don't think it's available in small quantities though. We by it in 25kilo barrels.
The only place I could find the Silica shells was Kobo.  I got a sample from them and the shells work better controlling  my oil break through.

Does anyone make pressed makeup? I get really annoyed by the messyness of loose powders so I decided to try and make pressed instead. I'm having a really hard time getting my eyeshadows to press though. I am using the TKB mymix press base and their pressing liquid. I tried using the directions on the TKB site and some directions from a blog, but so far I haven't managed to get a nice solid pan. I've tried using between 5-25% of press base and just a drop or two of the pressing liquid.

I'll try to use it after drying overnight and I get a big chunk of color that just pops right off of the pan. Maybe I'm not letting it dry long enough? I'm going to get some small c-clamps today to use with the pressing tiles in case I'm just not applying enough pressure when I'm pressing.  I re-pressed a broken NARS shadow using just some 99% isopropyl and that worked out great.

That's really interesting the 99% alcohol mixture with the base and it came out great.Good news and info for me to try

I just joined here today. I find this thread very useful. I recently receieved my MMU kit from CS and just started playing with it. I made couple of eyeshadows and pressed them using alcohol.It seemed to work. The other day I mixed a nice rosy blush and am curious to learn how to press it. Has anyone pressed blushes?

Is this thread not live anymore? If so it is really a pity. Anyway, in case it is still alive, one note of my my pressed eyeshadow: i take it back, pressing with only alcohol did not work. It seemed to when i first pressed it but when it tried to put it on the next day it was all powdery again. So i came to the conclusion i have to use a binder. So at this stage is could use a recipe as to how much binder to be used with how much powder. As for binder i have TKB's liquid binder. I would appreciate some help here.

Use the MyMix texture base instead of matte texture base, and also add a scoop of diamond clusters or something of that sort for sparkle. I would personally use less texture base(powder) and more liquid binder as well.

Thx KB Cosmetics. But 10 drops liquid for how much powder? Good to know that there are still some people keeping the thread alive. I find this thread very useful.

Another question: where can I get empty eyeshadow/blush pans to press, in Europe, better yet in Germany because I live there. I found the powder stuff around this area alright but not the pans. Does anybody know a European website  for pans.

Hmm,  I don't know about international stuff honestly. I would try Ebay, I know there is a seller on there from Germany I believe. She is more expensive than TKB though, so I'm not sure what your cost would be compared to TKB's international shipping costs. I like TKB's because they are tin instead of aluminum. Also, for the amount of powder, my usual recipe is 3 of tkb's small scoops of mica, 1 scoop texture base(my mix powder base) and 10 drops liquid binder or so. But I really don't count that much, I generally just use that for a starting point. And add as I feel it needs. Also, if you can, the book by TKb's on making mineral eyeshadows and pressing is great. The first several pages are free, with a video on a basic recipe for most mica's(using the overwetting technique, which is what I use as well) http://www.myebook.com/index.php?option=ebook&id=46552 There is the link to the EBook. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Thx KB. The info you provided helps a lot. Will try the overwetting tech. and see how it goes when my 14 month old boy gives me a chance
smile.gif

If anybody is still looking for silica shells, as opposed to silica spheres, you can get them in much smaller quantities than 25lbs at The Conservatorie. That's where I got mine a couple of years back. If they don't have them listed on their website at the moment, just email them and ask when they'll be available. Sometimes they're out of stock with some mineral makeup ingredients. There wouldn't be any way that silica would cause more oil production of the skin. I make my own setting powders with both silica spheres & silica shells, along with several other ingredients, and have been doing so for about 3 years now. They simply sit on top of the skin. They're not absorbed by the skin.

Back