The official make your own mmu thread!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello I am new to this forum and have been reading alot of the threads I have been making my own MM for a few years now (I have 3 daughters :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  )

I am looking for websites or books that offer recipe blends like TKB does so that I can come up with more variety of colors--I am not looking for a beginner book with base recipes ect I just have a hard time creating different colors even with a color wheel lol

thanks in advance

Melissa

sorry eye shadows lipsticks and bronzers ect I have a variety of colors but I am now under a contract with a make up artist and she wants as many colors as she can get like 200 eye shadows ect so I have been trying to find websites like tkb that offer different color blends

Melissa

I've been making MMU for about 4 months now, I started with the Coastal Scents website, I ordered their kit for 199.95 it is awesome also the ebook they have is very straight forward and helpful, they explain it step by step for beginners.  Aside from their products I also buy from The Conservatorie, they have a wide varity of Micas and Oxides, and TKB I'm new to but am digging their blacklight reactive stuff.  if you are looking for new color combonations I would try buying from The Conservatorie as they definately have the biggest selection I have found yet.  you can come up with some awesome colors just based and the amought of irredescents and intervals they have lol :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hi all! I'm new to this forum and just found this thread so was wondering if anyone knows where to buy sericite mica in the UK? I'm having a really tough job finding any it's so difficult!!

Coastal Scents.com has sericite shipping to UK.  They are a very reliable e-store.  I've purchased many things from them.  Shipping is not cheap to UK but I don't know what price point you are thinking that item is.

Hello!

I am a newbie here. Massively late to the party... I have (like so many before me) read, made notes and re-read this thread.

I have been trying to make some eyeshadows. I saved up and bought a heap of stuff from TKB.

However I am rather disappointed with my work. 

Here's an example of a recipe that I made under the illusion that all I needed to do was mix a few colored micas into a TKB pre-made base...the results? Well they aren't metallic looking enough for my liking and the one I have made below, looks kind of muddy and dull.

So the question is, do I need to thin the whole thing down with serecite or boron nitride, or add more mica like a pearl white?

Recipe:

2 scoops smoky xxx

1 scoop true blue

1 scoop sparkle turquoise inference

1/2 scoop black mica

1 scoop silver sparkle

2 scoops matte texture base.

I guess I would like a great base to work from, though I know its down to personal preference.

TIA!

Ok here it is, the one on the right is over Silk Naturals stick 'em primer, the left one on bare skin, both are swatched dry btw.

TIA for any advice... :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hi, I have been working on a foundation for myself, but I am having a problem with oil break through on my nose.  I have tried clay in my base and it helped a little then I tried a base putting silica in it since I have read so much about it helping others with oil issue.  I think it really made the oil break through even worse!!  Has anyone had that happen to them using silica????  I even tried it as a primer first before my foundation and it was worse!

Any ideas???

Thanks Pat

Maybe you can use the silica as a setting powder, on its own.  Maybe that'll keep the oil at bay?  HD powder is mostly silica.

That was what I was asking about silica.  When I added it to my base it seemed like I got more oily.  I have tried it as a primer and a setting powder and I got the same results, more oil and I was asking if anyone  else experienced this.  I had read that others got great results with it and was wondering if silica made oil worse for anyone else.

Patty

Originally Posted by belldane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi, I have been working on a foundation for myself, but I am having a problem with oil break through on my nose.  I have tried clay in my base and it helped a little then I tried a base putting silica in it since I have read so much about it helping others with oil issue.  I think it really made the oil break through even worse!!  Has anyone had that happen to them using silica????  I even tried it as a primer first before my foundation and it was worse!

Any ideas???

Thanks Pat

It really depends on the silica. We use 3 different versions in our formulas. Silica shells absorb 5 times their weight in liquids! We use that in our Oil Control Powder.

I don't think it's available in small quantities though. We by it in 25kilo barrels.

Originally Posted by belldane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm using Silica Microspheres from TKB  which I don't think are the same as the shells.
No, they're not the same. We have some of that.

Back