***The Official NHL Playoff 2008 Thread***

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it was a good game, if you're a Detroit fan! so is this hibernation time for the hockey fan?

Yeah... Detroit was the better team... Damn those guys are good!!! lol And for me... hockey season never ends... Our league has the draft tonight, call in tommorow and we probably will be playing out first games of the summer season this weekend!!! So I have no off season!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Well...if the cups not coming here, at least its heading to the beautiful NFLD.

If you are Canadian and have been following hockey sometime in the past 40 years, you are also familiar with our second national anthem - Hockey Night In Canada. Saturday nights 8 pm CBC Da DA DA Dadadaaaa.

Well CBC said they were no longer going to use this song - I guess Saturday Night's All Right For Fighting is their preferred choice.

Guess what - CTV just bought the rights to the song - starting in the fall, it will be played on TSN hockey games. CTV is planning on using it during the 2010 Vancouver Olympics.

All is well in hockey land - the hockey gods are smiling
smile.gif

LOL..... All is well.... Except I'm on a business trip and I'm missing my first game of the summer season!!! Ekkkkkkkkk...... Hope they save me a jresey!!! Were the evil black team!! lol

Stanley Cup OK after slightly dented during celebrations at Detroit eatery

The Stanley Cup is OK after taking a tumble during the Red Wings' celebrations in Detroit.

NHL spokeswoman Bernadette Mansur said the Cup got a slight dent Friday after some players took the trophy to Cheli's Chili Bar, a downtown restaurant owned by Red Wings defenceman Chris Chelios.

Mansur says dent was smoothed out, and the trophy was expected to keep making the rounds.

Thousands of Red Wings fans cheered Friday during a parade and rally in downtown Detroit where the Cup was shown off. The Red Wings clinched the Cup on Wednesday night in Pittsburgh.

Stanley Cup OK after slightly dented during celebrations at Detroit eatery : Hockey : Sports : Sympatico / MSN

Must be some smokin chili to cause a dent in the cup...

The NHL Awards are being held tomorrow, Thursday June 12 - 8pm, in Toronto. Make sure you get a great spot as the players will show up for the red carpet walk.

There are plenty of awards to give out and lots of autographs to be had.

Wonder in Ovechkin will bring his girl friend?

Wonder if Malkin will continue to not speak English?

Wonder if Sidney will be just as gorgeous?

I just watched the awards. Here's a list of each award and winner:

If I know the category, I've noted it as well.

Pearson - Ovechkin - voted by other players

Selke - Datsyuk - best defensive forward

King Clancy - LeCavalier - not sure

Bill Masterson - Jason Blake - bounce back from adversity

Lady Bing - Datsyuk - "most gentlemanly"

Jack Adams - Bruce Boudreau - Washington Coach

Calder - Patrick Kane - Rookie

Lifetime Achievement Award - Gordie Howe - this is the first year for the award

Norris - Lidstrom - defence

Vezina - Brodeur - goalie

Hart - Ovechkin - best player

See you hocky fans next year!
silvercup.gif

One last post - the NHL draft was today in Ottawa

Steven Stamkos, Sarnia Sting, went to Tampa Bay

Olli Jokenon went to Phoenix for 2 players and a draft pick

Drew Dowdy, Guelp Storm, went to the Kings

Emery of Ottawa was put on wavers - I doubt anyone will want him

Zac Bogosian, Brantford Battalions, went to Thrashers

Alex Tanguay went to Montreal, from Calgary for draft picks

Luc Scenne went to Toronto - plays in western hockey league

Flyer's Umberger went to Columbia for draft choices.

The draft went on until 10pm - these all took place before 8pm

Nice pic Darla - anyone we know?

In my opinion, Steven Stamkos, Drew Dowdy, Zac Bogosian are all ready to play in the NHL - they are going to be good!

Luc Scenne is exactly what Toronto needs - a very aggressive defensive player.

I ended up watching What Not To Wear so I didn't catch the rest.

Well last night I bought a Penns vs the Wings 2008 Stanley Cup tee shirt at the grocery store for .... $4.00. And today in the mail I received an Official 2008 Stanley Cup Final program ... That I won in a lottery that our companies HR department sponsered!! So I have my memoribelia... And didn't have to go have beer spilled on me and shell out big bucks!! Lol

You did better than me Karren! I still have a couple of old TV Guides with games circled.

I wonder if Hossa will be traded? Toronto might lose Sundin. Both Darcy Tucker and Raycraft are on wavers. But we got a new coach - he was last with the Sharks.

Funny you should ask... one of my new team mates work for the Penns and he is telling the most amazing stories of players and their agents and who wants how much money!!! lol

I thought I heard that Talbot or Malone might become free agents.

Seriously though, the amount of money these guys make is mind blowing!

We should go into the agent business - then we'd get 10% or better, of the wages.

Ovechkin doesn't have an agent - he negotiated his huge deal all by himself!

Roberts and malone were just traded to Tampa Bay for a 4th round draft pick!! SIGH..... My team mate said malone was a whinner and wanted way too much money...

Small Market Woes

DETROIT - Marian Hossa lost the Stanley Cup to the Detroit Red Wings last month. Now, the star forward is joining the champions to help them repeat.

ADVERTISEMENT

b

Hossa signed a one-year contract with Detroit on Wednesday, and a person in the NHL told The Associated Press the deal is worth $7.45 million.

The high-scoring winger was one of the key players who helped the Pittsburgh Penguins advance to the Stanley Cup finals, which they lost to Detroit in six games.

With Hossa headed for Detroit, the most highly coveted forwards left on the free agent market are Jaromir Jagr and Mats Sundin. Sundin isn't close to signing with anyone, and said Wednesday he needs more time to decide where — or if — he wants to play next season.

Hossa has scored at least 29 goals the past eight seasons and has 299 in his career, dating to 1998-99 — his first full season in the NHL — with the Ottawa Senators. He has 25 goals and 61 assists in 75 playoff games.

He was dealt to Pittsburgh from Atlanta at last season's trade deadline with an expiring contract. The Thrashers acquired him from the Senators before the 2005-06 season in the deal that sent Dany Heatley to Ottawa.

Hossa had rebuffed a chance to re-sign with the Penguins, who were reportedly offering $7 million a season as part of five-year contract.

Detroit and Hossa hope the one-year contract is a win-win deal. The Red Wings will count on him to help them win it all again and he will play for a team that will be favored to hoist its fifth Stanley Cup since 1997 and 12th overall.

The short-term deal will give the Red Wings salary-cap space to extend contracts, improving their chances later this summer of keeping Henrik Zetterberg and Johan Franzen off the free agent market in 2009.

source

This has been a crazy couple of days - here are a few more trades:

Penguins lock up Evgeni Malkin

The Pittsburgh Penguins signed Russian forward Evgeni Malkin to a five-year contract extension worth $43.5 million US on Wednesday

Sean Avery heads to Dallas

The free-agency merry-go-round continued Wednesday, as the Dallas Stars signed agitator Sean Avery to a four-year deal worth $15.5 million US

Senators re-sign Shean Donovan, add Jarkko Ruutu

The Ottawa Senators re-signed veteran right-winger Shean Donovan to a two-year contract on Wednesday

Thrashers sign Hainsey for $22.5M

The Atlanta Thrashers signed defenceman Ron Hainsey, put on waivers less than three days ago, to a massive deal on the second day of free agency

Hurricanes sign Pitkanen, Melichar

The Carolina Hurricanes didn't take long to get Joni Pitkanen's name on a new contract, signing the Finnish defenceman to a contract extension just one day after he was acquired from the Edmonton Oilers

Flames sign Glencross, bring back Vandermeer

The Calgary Flames signed free agent forward Curtis Glencross and re-signed defenceman Jim Vandermeer on Wednesday

Canucks add Johnson, re-sign Sanford

The Vancouver Canucks dipped into the free agent pool and signed forward Ryan Johnson and re-signed backup goaltender Curtis Sanford.

Goalies have moved around as well;

Washington will get hunky Jose Theodore

Washington's goalie is going somewhere - I forget sorry

Curtis Joseph is coming to Toronto as a back up

And I believe the Tamp Bay is getting a new goalie but I could be wrong - ok rambling now

Back