• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to MakeUp Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

TheBalm 50% off!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just received the 'MIA' replacement palette. Whoever shipped it, shipped it with a label on the front and back of the box. The front was labeled from them to me, the back label was the return shipping label I was supposed to use to send the broken palette back from me to them. The return label side was obviously used to ship my package back to thebalm after they shipped it out...not sure how they didn't realize that after delivery was attempted. Usually the return ship label goes inside the box....not on the outside along with the ship label. 

Originally Posted by Scooby384 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just received the 'MIA' replacement palette. Whoever shipped it, shipped it with a label on the front and back of the box. The front was labeled from them to me, the back label was the return shipping label I was supposed to use to send the broken palette back from me to them. The return label side was obviously used to ship my package back to thebalm after they shipped it out...not sure how they didn't realize that after delivery was attempted. Usually the return ship label goes inside the box....not on the outside along with the ship label. 
The person who packed that box must not have been that bright, either that or under a lot of stress.

BTW, for those who were looking for the original theBalm Meet Matte, I found it on Beauty.com

http://www.beauty.com/thebalm-meet-matte/qxp381125?catid=25362

rolleyes.gif

Has anyone made a return? I bought a shampoo, conditioner, and masque which are breaking me out and I would like to exchange. Anyone know if they will honor the discount for the exchange? I would be unhappy if they only give me credit for $22.50 and not discount the items I want instead.

I haven't but when they recommended me to pick up two foundations shades they told me they credit me what I paid for -- nothing about doing an even exchange. Hope that helps!

Has anyone made a return? I bought a shampoo, conditioner, and masque which are breaking me out and I would like to exchange. Anyone know if they will honor the discount for the exchange? I would be unhappy if they only give me credit for $22.50 and not discount the items I want instead.

I doubt hey would discount the items you want to exchange for but there is no harm in trying. I had a simmilar experience recently at Sephora where I ordered a lipstick with 15% off but accidentally ordered the wrong color. I went in store to exchange it for the exact same brand just in another color and I had to pay the difference. Luckily I expected it and the difference was about $2 so I was cool with it.

Originally Posted by samhanhle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This brand looks just like Benefit. Can anyone please tell me what's the difference ?
TheBalm is paraben and cruelty free, and talc free shadows and blushes, I'm not sure if Benefit is any of those?

TheBalm is paraben and cruelty free, and talc free shadows and blushes, I'm not sure if Benefit is any of those?
Not sure about parabens, but Benefit does not advertise itself as cruelty free, but says this about their policy in their FAQs:

Quote: Other makeup brands confirm they are cruelty free, why doesn't Benefit? Benefit is against cruelty to animals. It is our goal to be as transparent and honest with our customers as possible. We believe the "cruelty free" certifications provide unclear explanations to consumers, as it implies that none of the ingredients incorporated into products have ever been tested on animals. This is a nearly impossible certification for any cosmetic company to make. We prefer to be able to stand 100% behind our claims.

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Other makeup brands confirm they are cruelty free, why doesn't Benefit? Benefit is against cruelty to animals. It is our goal to be as transparent and honest with our customers as possible. We believe the "cruelty free" certifications provide unclear explanations to consumers, as it implies that none of the ingredients incorporated into products have ever been tested on animals. This is a nearly impossible certification for any cosmetic company to make. We prefer to be able to stand 100% behind our claims.
LOL...that's a no. 'We are against it, but....let's face it, everyone does at least a little of it.' 

LOL...that's a no. 'We are against it, but....let's face it, everyone does at least a little of it.' 
So honest! Oh, Benefit.

Quote: Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Maybe they're like, "well, humans are animals..."

Well, this is a controversial statement, but I actually am with Benefit on this one. I'm of the opinion that cruelty free is BS because the reason companies can claim that now is because a bunch of stuff used to be tested on animals. Most cruelty free companies' policies are that 1) they do not test on animals 2) none of the suppliers they use have tested their products on animals.

What Benefit is saying, that they cannot certify "none of the ingredients incorporated into products have ever been tested on animals," is different. Benefit is saying they can't prove that the products they've used have never been tested on animals, even if they've don't test on animals (I'm guessing they don't) or if the suppliers they use don't test the ingredients on animals (I'm hoping that they're picking suppliers that don't). I think this is less disingenuous than a cruelty free statement because the reason suppliers/companies don't have to test on animals is because many individual ingredients have already been tested on animals in the past -- by other suppliers and companies -- and were shown to be safe for use on the skin. Animal testing has been going on for decades -- if all "cruelty free" companies were to stop using ingredients that were once tested on animals to prove their safety, then they wouldn't have many ingredients to work with.

Which isn't to say I'm against the cruelty free moment or stopping animal testing -- but I do think that there are subtleties to it rather than "if you're not cruelty free then you're killing bunnies".

BTW I am obsessed with bunnies ):

I disagree.

My understanding of Cruelty Free is this:

Widely used by cosmetic companies to let consumers know that they do not directly use animal testing in the making of their products. While this does not always include the ingredients that are bought to be used in the products, it’s usually a good sign that the manufacturer has a positive preference towards the rights of animals as companies are not currently required to state whether or not their products are cruelty-free.[SIZE=11.818181991577148px]Which is different from Vegan:[/SIZE]

Vegan cosmetics are body care products such as moisturizers, deodorants and makeup that don’t contain any components made from animals or produced by animals. 

*In my opinion* you are either cruelty free, vegan, or cruelty free AND vegan. You can claim to be cruelty free, while not being vegan, and vice versa. But if you claim to be neither, with your reason being that *it is an impossible certification*, then you're just neither...so which are they, if either? They don't specify.

There are companies who claim 100% vegan, no animal ingredients, and don't test on animals.....and unless Benefit can provide me with some solid proof that this is false, I have no reason to doubt these companies.

Originally Posted by samhanhle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This brand looks just like Benefit. Can anyone please tell me what's the difference ?
I feel like the color payout and longevity of The Balm's products are better than that of Benefit (think, Instains!). I do like the Balm's cheeky packaging - which is very Benefit-esque at first glance for sure! I just feel like The Balm's products are more worth the money! I really like the foundation, blushes, and palettes I have from them. 

*In my opinion* you are either cruelty free, vegan, or cruelty free AND vegan. You can claim to be cruelty free, while not being vegan, and vice versa. But if you claim to be neither, with your reason being that *it is an impossible certification*, then you're just neither...so which are they, if either? They don't specify.
Benefit sells cosmetics in China. They are definitely not cruelty free.

A cosmetics company and its consumers even might feel comfortable with calling it cruelty-free because their products don't use animal products or animal testing, but do use insect extracts (carmine) or byproducts (honey, silk), which vegans would often object to.

Benefit is in China. They test. It looks like they've changed their their statement, it used to be really confusing and misleading.

Just wanted to say that the packet of Apricot Skin Renewal Cream they added to my order lasted me between 15 and 20 uses after I emptied it into a pot. Amazing sample! Not sure if I will purchase since I mainly just use what my sample boxes send me, but I will definitely keep it in mind!

Just wanted to say that the packet of Apricot Skin Renewal Cream they added to my order lasted me between 15 and 20 uses after I emptied it into a pot. Amazing sample! Not sure if I will purchase since I mainly just use what my sample boxes send me, but I will definitely keep it in mind!
Wow that's a pretty good sample!

Back