Ugly Mineral Sites...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by jward /img/forum/go_quote.gif I am not sure I like the sites that have a bunch of pictures with attractive girls with flawless skin. Can you really tell me they are wearing the product being sold? (On very few sites, they are.) Or are they stock photos completely unrelated to the company posting them? Wow. I never would have thought that. I guess good product pics are worth the effort for any online retailer.

Originally Posted by laurie_lu /img/forum/go_quote.gif I do photo searches on Makeupalley - Street Smart Beauty - Homepage and check out the photo section at the Yahoo EDM Group.
I've also found personal blogs from ladies who enjoy makeup and keep a photo diary of the products they've used and tested.

im on the makeupalley homepage and can't for the life of me see anything that says street smart beauty. where exactly is it?

You don't need anything that says street smart beauty. That's just the name that comes up automatically when I posted the link.

First you have to register as a member to view pictures. Once you're a member, go to the home page and over to the right under your name is a section called "Picture Search".

Click on that and it'll bring you to the search box for members photos. You can search under several different search criterias.

Originally Posted by dlwt2003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I usually used the worded description for a idea about the colors more than the color itself because allour computers are different and half the time the color isnt true to what you get. I love wordy descriptions as well more info the better, some sites need to remember this, some have no description just the color, I wont order~~ I agree. The more detailed the description, the better for me too as I am not able to see or touch the product, I rely solely on the product description to help me make my choice.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Meow Minerals' site. That's gotta be the ugliest site I've ever seen, and I've been reluctant for ordering from them for some time for that one reason. I mean, it takes you AGES to get used to the site to be able to navigate through it. Plus the product names are all confusing as HELL! I can never remember the names of the stuff I order because they're so non-descriptive and non-intuitive!

I would have to agree that an ugly site is not fun. As for product photos, they can be very hard to get done accurately and no, not every site owner has a good way to get photos.

It is very true that monitor color can vary in a HUGE way from one screen to the next. The difference between my desktop and my laptop is huge when looking at my site.

Jenn

Going with the opposite of the title of this thread, I just wanted to mention that Alima just put up a new site that is beautiful. Talk about classy - Alima has it figured out. A few other places could take notes from Alima on a few topics. Their site was one of the nicest ones before IMO and now they have a new, even nicer one.

Mineral Makup | Mineral Cosmetics from Alima Cosmetics

I agree about the Alima site - it made me really want to try their makeup, but then i checked out the reviews on MUA and felt a bit...meh, maybe not.

Originally Posted by dolphino /img/forum/go_quote.gif I agree about the Alima site - it made me really want to try their makeup, but then i checked out the reviews on MUA and felt a bit...meh, maybe not. I am surprised about that. I know Alima used to get great reviews over on MUA. They are one of the lesser-mentioned ones on MMM though.

Raesin Images is the WORST site ever-it's scattered, you have to click multiple links to even get to the product and then click more to get to color charts, etc. It's almost impossible to navigate w/out getting incredibly frustrated.

I agree, when I first started out, she was on ebay alot and going to her site drives me crazy! I might have tried her stuff a long time ago if it weren't for her site.

Jenn

One other thing that is of utmost importance: A website should have for purchase the stock on hand. I hate it when new items are slow to be added to the site, or out of stock items are still onsite for purchase. It makes shopping at the site a total hassle when product listings are not true to the products currently offered.

My personal "favorites"in this category must be Meow and McDowells:

sooo bloody confusing. After seeing those I no longer paid any attention to the overall pinkness of Mad Minerals homepage or uncomfortable placing of eye pigment swatches at Archetype Cosmetics - those pages function incredibly well.

McDowell would do us all a great favor if the texts would be made shorter and no pink or teal would be used as font color and font itself would be something more elegant and easier to read.

At first I did not understand why "you know all there is to know about cats although you never had one" would be one of the characteristics for a true mmu addict but then I happened to visit the the meow homepage.
biggrin.gif

What I love about some home pages is that they list the ingredients next to every product. It does not make me particularly happy if I have to look for the ingredients and then find something very oblique listed under the faq.

And I am beginning to love the fair skin I have - I only have to order the whitest samples from some categories and thats it. I cannot imagine how tough it must be for all of those people who fall in the middle...

I don't mind Meow so much, it takes a little getting used to but Dreamworld I find quite annoying. Ugliness aside, it would really have been helpful if we could see all the colors side by side like a lot of other companies do- A color swatch. Seen individually, it is so hard to tell the color.

That was the same prob I had with Dreamworld. I just could not choose a shade so I emailed Ellie and asked her wat shade wld suit me and she did help me and I went with my order. It was diff navigating at dreamworld and not to forget Meow too..oo lala.

The worded descriptions usually are a lot more helpful than the actual pictures. I'm glad to see that poorly designed sites bother others too. I don't mind so much a simplistic site as one that takes me through loops and hoops to navigate.

Originally Posted by laurie_lu /img/forum/go_quote.gif I've also found personal blogs from ladies who enjoy makeup and keep a photo diary of the products they've used and tested.

wow great idea! maybe i'll start doing that soon. sometimes when i hear a lot of good reviews about a product i try to back read some beauty blogs i read regularly and look for their review/swatches on that particular product. i agree MUA is also very helpful. i've made a lot of online makeup purchases (even fragrances, beauty tools, etc) using the product reviews on there. MUA is a gem of a site!

Did they also change the foundation pictures on the new EDM website? IMO the colors on there now are really confusing and misleading!

I wouldn't look at this as judging a book by its cover, but more like gauging how much professionalism a company have. It's like showing up to an interview in a suit or jeans type of thing. I've only ordered from one really ugly site, and it took me almost 3 weeks to receive it. If the same person handling the website doesn't organize the site, I don't expect them to be too organized with my shipment.

Back