Vaseline for the face?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vasiline is a skin protectant, it doesn't get absorbed into the skin. But I'm not exactly sure what you are using it for!

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to LOVE vaseline and use it on everything until I read how detrimental it can be to your skin! 

yes of course, Vaseline is petroleum jelly.

Mineral oil is also a gasoline product I believe.

Ah yes! yes it is "mineral oil is a liquid by-product of the distillation of petroleum to produce gasoline and other petroleum-based products from crude oil."

I usually avoid vaseline, mineral oil, petrolatum - in cosmetics and skincare because these things clog your pores/cause acne. Only when i'm outdoors ands it's super windy i rub shea butter with mineral oil under my eyes (where there is barely any pores) to avoid the wind damage.
I agree - I've know that it is a petroleum based product for years and I would never get this near my face.  I won't even use it for my lips.

I just use a moisturiser not Vaseline. I have used it in the past and it is just too thick and feels too oily. It felt like rubbing chicken fat on my face (never done this but I imagine how gross that would feel). Blergh!

It works great to heal chapped lips and good remedy to moisturize dry hands!!

I use it as a nighttime moisturizer around my eyes and to remove eye makeup.  ( I have sensitive skin/eyes, so I can't use anything else on or around my eyes.)

I would not recommend using it anywhere else on your face though, because it will clog pores.

I use it as a nighttime moisturizer around my eyes and to remove eye makeup.  ( I have sensitive skin/eyes, so I can't use anything else on or around my eyes.)

I would not recommend using it anywhere else on your face though, because it will clog pores.
Does regular moisturizer around eyes help to remove dark circles too?

Vaseline could be a single ingredient product. It consists of petrolatum jelly & petrolatum jelly alone. petrolatum jelly is occlusive, which suggests once it's applied to the skin, it sits on top of your skin, acting as a barrier and protection moisture in. As such, it will facilitate with skin hydration concerns. A standard way to use occlusive products like Vaseline.., is to use it in the night(after 10pm) over a lighter lotion/cream/moisturizer/ to lock in the moisture.

Lol oops I used vaseline on my lips after that stupid Smith & Cult lipgloss gave me a horrible allergic reaction. My lips burned so bad and had bumps all over them and were swollen, vaseline healed them. I didn't know about all the "dangerous" stuff it does. But geez it seems everything causes cancer now. 

Is anyone still using it?

Did they get any negative effects?

I used to have very oily skin and went through a bad breakout. I ended up getting fraxel (a laser) done so now i only have indents not many, but will they help them? I also don't have oily skin anymore. My skin is dry be/c of pills that I take now. I don't breakout at all now.
No. Vaseline does not have any side effects. It will not break out your skin. It will remove dryness from your skin. My skin is also very oily. I’m also using it. 

I have only ever used Vaseline on my dry hands in the winter... or I have been known to use on my nose as it can get very sore! I would never apply all over my face though, I don't think my skin would react well to that. 

Ok I'm only on page 10 of the sticky vaseline but, I have a few questions.

I have very sensitive skin. It is very great for the sensitive skin. It is very beneficial at night. Leave it applied on skin. The next day, you will feel the difference. 

Ok I'm only on page 10 of the sticky vaseline but, I have a few questions.

I used to have very oily skin and went through a bad breakout. I ended up getting fraxel (a laser) done so now i only have indents not many, but will they help them? I also don't have oily skin anymore. My skin is dry be/c of pills that I take now. I don't breakout at all now.

Anyone having good results?

Thanks
I am still using it. it is better for skin. I didn't get any negative effects.

Back