Vegan Lifestyle

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Johnnie! I've been a vegetarian for over 2 years now and I would NEVER go back to eating meat. I don't ever feel gross or too full after a meal like I used to. I've read extensively about the meat industry so I feel like it's a very smart and thoughtful decision. I'm happy to see people embracing the lifestyle. I'm not a vegan because I have a very deep love for baked goods like cakes, cookies, brownies etc. However when I bake them myself I make them vegan.

Originally Posted by mariascreek /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hi Johnnie! I've been a vegetarian for over 2 years now and I would NEVER go back to eating meat. I don't ever feel gross or too full after a meal like I used to. I've read extensively about the meat industry so I feel like it's a very smart and thoughtful decision. I'm happy to see people embracing the lifestyle. I'm not a vegan because I have a very deep love for baked goods like cakes, cookies, brownies etc. However when I bake them myself I make them vegan. I'm happy to hear that you no longer eat meat either
wink.gif
Ah, the sweets! Yes, those are very missed, haha!I'll have to read more about the whole vegan goodies because I just found the cupcake one but if there's more then I need to do more research
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Johnnie, here's the recipe of their basic chocolate cupcake
wink.gif

I find quinoa and agar agar in my local healthfood/organic food store. But i guess you could try a japanese grocery store, if you have one, for agar agar.

Have you tried the "cheese" called Tofutti ? I love cheesecakes, and i know where i could find some but the store is a bit far from home, is it worth it ?

Originally Posted by magosienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif Johnnie, here's the recipe of their basic chocolate cupcake
wink.gif

I find quinoa and agar agar in my local healthfood/organic food store. But i guess you could try a japanese grocery store, if you have one, for agar agar.

Have you tried the "cheese" called Tofutti ? I love cheesecakes, and i know where i could find some but the store is a bit far from home, is it worth it ?

I'm going to have to do that...look through the health/food isles and see what I can find. I have no idea where there's a Japanese market in my area. Hmm.....
I've never heard of tofutti. I'm assuming it's made from tofu?

Id call myself vegan, been vegetarian for around 7 years and over the last six months (after reading a book called 'skinny *****')ive started giving up eggs and milk. Ill eat a banana most days for breakfast, lunch usually a vegeburger and dinner often a soup and or vegetables. I do treat myself every few days with something yummy, like vegan french toast, oreos (which are vegan) soy chocolate or soy ice cream. Apart from that i usually treat myself to yummy fruits, and as often as possible ill have a big bowl of green vegetables to fill me up before dinner. Ive lost around 26lbs from it so far, without exercising.

I think veganism can be hard to define because it is very difficult, and some say impossible, to become completely vegan. Even sugar is not considered vegan by some. Im starting to see it as a blanket term, or something to strive towards. I havnt gone as far as getting rid of my makeup that could have been tested on animals nor have i thrown away some of the leather things i own, like handbags or shoes, although im making a big effort to buy more animal friendly stuff from now on.

A littlle advice for anyone interested in becoming vegan.... pick up the book Skinny *****! Its not the sole reason i became vegan, but its definitely been the best resource for me. They also have a book called "skinny ***** in the kitch" which is a vegan recipe book that will put to rest any fears you have that vegan food might not be as tasty.

I would also recommend not trying to push your beliefs onto other people. Provide advice and assistance to anyone who is interested in having a go but you still need to understand that there will be people who will quite aggressively try to bring you down... its really not worth having a conversation with those types. Usually they just make wrong assumptions but sometimes they will argue and argue until your discussing philosophical things that you dont really care about. In the end whats right and whats wrong is down to the individual so if anyone tries to argue to the death with you about your beliefs my recommendation is to tell them to hit the web for the facts and leave it at that.

It makes me so happy to see more and more considering this lifestyle, indeed its made me feel like a better person, inside and out. I once said i couldnt give up chicken and when i became vegetarian i realised that wasnt true. Not long ago i was completely addicted to cheese and chocolate and nowadays i almost feel sick at the thought, and if i do get a craving for the flavour i have a soy cheese toastie or an oreo. Its great!

Originally Posted by TheGreenFairy /img/forum/go_quote.gif Id call myself vegan, been vegetarian for around 7 years and over the last six months (after reading a book called 'skinny *****')ive started giving up eggs and milk. Ill eat a banana most days for breakfast, lunch usually a vegeburger and dinner often a soup and or vegetables. I do treat myself every few days with something yummy, like vegan french toast, oreos (which are vegan) soy chocolate or soy ice cream. Apart from that i usually treat myself to yummy fruits, and as often as possible ill have a big bowl of green vegetables to fill me up before dinner. Ive lost around 26lbs from it so far, without exercising.
I think veganism can be hard to define because it is very difficult, and some say impossible, to become completely vegan. Even sugar is not considered vegan by some. Im starting to see it as a blanket term, or something to strive towards. I havnt gone as far as getting rid of my makeup that could have been tested on animals nor have i thrown away some of the leather things i own, like handbags or shoes, although im making a big effort to buy more animal friendly stuff from now on.

A littlle advice for anyone interested in becoming vegan.... pick up the book Skinny *****! Its not the sole reason i became vegan, but its definitely been the best resource for me. They also have a book called "skinny ***** in the kitch" which is a vegan recipe book that will put to rest any fears you have that vegan food might not be as tasty.

I would also recommend not trying to push your beliefs onto other people. Provide advice and assistance to anyone who is interested in having a go but you still need to understand that there will be people who will quite aggressively try to bring you down... its really not worth having a conversation with those types. Usually they just make wrong assumptions but sometimes they will argue and argue until your discussing philosophical things that you dont really care about. In the end whats right and whats wrong is down to the individual so if anyone tries to argue to the death with you about your beliefs my recommendation is to tell them to hit the web for the facts and leave it at that.

It makes me so happy to see more and more considering this lifestyle, indeed its made me feel like a better person, inside and out. I once said i couldnt give up chicken and when i became vegetarian i realised that wasnt true. Not long ago i was completely addicted to cheese and chocolate and nowadays i almost feel sick at the thought, and if i do get a craving for the flavour i have a soy cheese toastie or an oreo. Its great!

It's good to hear that you no longer eat meat either
wink.gif

I think it's great you've lost weight without really trying. I've since lost 10 lbs and slowly but surely losing a little more. The good thing about it is that we ARE eating and can pretty much eat as much of it as we want and still manage to drop a few pounds.

You brought up a good point about the whole Veganism being hard to define. I too have leather purses, shoes, etc.. but I don't think I can get rid of them because, well they were gifts. I do not buy products that were tested on animals, or atleast so they claim not to be. I don't purchase leather materials either. So I do my part and steer clear from those things. It is though 'possible'. I know of a woman who got rid of everything: clothes, furniture, food and even her stove because she insisted on living a truly raw, Vegan life. I know that I wouldn't be able to live that extreme but it can be done.

When you talk about those who push their beliefs onto others, it reminded me of several family members. I've mentioned to them that I no longer eat meats and dairy and they aren't too thrilled about it. So they snarl and bicker to me about how I'm going to hurt myself. I just remind myself that they haven't educated themselves about this lifestyle and maybe if they did they'd have a better understanding.

I've heard about that book Skinny Bit** but it didn't really interest me. I'm just assuming that it's telling you what to and what not to eat? Maybe I'll download it.

Also, I'm excited to hear that Oreos are vegan. I'll do more research on them though because I want to make sure, sure...haha! But that's cool because they're so good
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Skinny bi*tch is really good. It works very well as a animal rights and veganism information book AND a weightloss book.

The writers actually have a sense of humor and its very well written, VERY well researched. Their next book is "Skinny Bastard" which i am going to buy for my boyfriend.... i know his never gonna give it all up, but damnit i want him to eat more vegetables.

Yeah Oreos are awesome. Australian and american oreos are vegan, i checked the ingredients and read a few things on vegan forums that said that.. I know canadian oreos arnt vegan though.

Some other delicious (and mostly pretty easy) vegan foods are hot chips, vegieburgers, vegan pizzas (make sure the base doesnt have milk in it), vegan pasta, indian curry, vegan soups, olive oil garlic bread, baked beans, breakfast fry ups with mock meat and grilled tomato and mushroom, vegan hot dogs, salads and fruit, vegan french toast, burritos, sushi and probably lots more i cant remember.

And because it is much healthier than non vegan stuff you get to eat it more often.

I still have leather accessories, and i can't afford vegan shoes. So i stick to my Doc Martens sigh. Is it really possible to be 100% vegan ? I'm not sure. Like we got a pot of honey from a friend, real honey not the boiled stuff they sell in supermarkets and i tasted a few spoons. But it's an animal product too
frown.gif

Toffutti is supposed to be like cream cheese, the traditional one used for cheesecakes by omnis.

I'm interested in that book now
smile.gif

Originally Posted by TheGreenFairy /img/forum/go_quote.gif Skinny bi*tch is really good. It works very well as a animal rights and veganism information book AND a weightloss book.
The writers actually have a sense of humor and its very well written, VERY well researched. Their next book is "Skinny Bastard" which i am going to buy for my boyfriend.... i know his never gonna give it all up, but damnit i want him to eat more vegetables.

Yeah Oreos are awesome. Australian and american oreos are vegan, i checked the ingredients and read a few things on vegan forums that said that.. I know canadian oreos arnt vegan though.

Some other delicious (and mostly pretty easy) vegan foods are hot chips, vegieburgers, vegan pizzas (make sure the base doesnt have milk in it), vegan pasta, indian curry, vegan soups, olive oil garlic bread, baked beans, breakfast fry ups with mock meat and grilled tomato and mushroom, vegan hot dogs, salads and fruit, vegan french toast, burritos, sushi and probably lots more i cant remember.

And because it is much healthier than non vegan stuff you get to eat it more often.

I've tried vegan foods but I like to stick with fresh, au~naturalle foods: fruits and veggies mainly. Sure, I'll indulge in a little snack here or there, so the cupcakes/oreos are nice to have around but I'm well aware of the acid/alkaline ratio too. So I like to keep my acidic foods at a minimum of 20%.

Originally Posted by magosienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif I still have leather accessories, and i can't afford vegan shoes. So i stick to my Doc Martens sigh. Is it really possible to be 100% vegan ? I'm not sure. Like we got a pot of honey from a friend, real honey not the boiled stuff they sell in supermarkets and i tasted a few spoons. But it's an animal product too
frown.gif

Toffutti is supposed to be like cream cheese, the traditional one used for cheesecakes by omnis.

I'm interested in that book now
smile.gif

Yes, being a 100% raw vegan is possible. I've stated above that I know of a woman, personally, who lives this way. I'll have to research Toffutti also. Thanks for sharing.

Do you have any good recipe for waffles ? I tried one that was low fat, and it didn't have enough oil so it got stuck to the waffle iron
frown.gif

Originally Posted by magosienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif Do you have any good recipe for waffles ? I tried one that was low fat, and it didn't have enough oil so it got stuck to the waffle iron
frown.gif
I'm sorry but I don't.

Hi Johnnie, I've been vegan for a couple of years now... would love to talk to you about it and share lifestyle tips and ideas
biggrin.gif

For me being vegan is about being good to myself, to the earth and it's inhibitants. I am not perfect, I may have a slip up here and there, and I do have a weakness for Chanel make up and shoes, but I try to buy them second hand. But my main focuss is that of a vegan ideal, I love it
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Cipriana /img/forum/go_quote.gif For me being vegan is about being good to myself, to the earth and it's inhibitants. My thoughts exactly.
I'm thrilled you're another member of the Veg*n club...haha! When did you transition and did you find it difficult?

Oh no, did I actually write inhibitants? I meant inhabitants of course
tongue.gif
it was late in my country when I wrote that... haha

It took me a couple of years to go from a vegetarian who ate cheese, dairy, eggs to going full vegan, most importantly because I realised that all the damage I was doing by eating dairy and eggs was just the same as I would when eating meat, but eating meat has been an alien understanding to me for many many years, I turned vegetarian in my early teens, but yes the transition into vegan took a while, it came with maturing I suppose.

It was not hard for me, because I never felt bad about myself when I was not ready to transition to the vegan lifestyle. I really believe in going at your own pace, and nothing should be punished.

I might still have some organic dairy sometimes, but the main idea is a vegan lifestyle. I am also very interested in raw foods and herbalism.

I would love to hear from you about your vegan beauty products!
biggrin.gif

Thanks for this post (thread) . Im considering to become vegan , I no longer can tolerate red meat and too much chicken .. I get nauseous form it.. I may try this

I am not vegan because I do drink milk, but that's my only basic exception. I've been a vegetarian for about two years now however and I love it. I hardly ever ate meat before, so giving it up was actually easy for me. After about two days, I had no temptations or ever craved meat again. My boyfriend though went vegetarian with me at the start, but he cracked a couple of months ago and now he's back to being a carnivore lol. It doesn't matter to me who eats meat and who doesn't though. It's a personal decision. I can't stand however when I face ridicule for it. No, I know that cutting meat out of my diet won't save the animals, yes I'm aware that plants are living too, and no I am not going to become malnourished. People can live without meat. I'm proof of that.

I love my portobello swiss cheese and mushroom veggie burger. It is truly the best I've ever tasted.

No' date=' I know that cutting meat out of my diet won't save the animals, yes I'm aware that plants are living too, and no I am not going to become malnourished. People can live without meat. I'm proof of that.
haha! i love this. i am not a vegan, nor am i vegetarian, but one of my close friends is so i know how much crap they get!

OMG that sounds good I even looked up for a recipe found one! Im so goign to try and make a batch

Originally Posted by danixcalifornia /img/forum/go_quote.gif I love my portobello swiss cheese and mushroom veggie burger. It is truly the best I've ever tasted. This mushroom burger recipe is adapted from "Lisa's Mushroom Burger" from weheartfood.com, and to call it a veggie burger doesn't do it justice. Veggie burger recipes tend to be bland and boring, but this meaty mushroom burger is anything but.
Makes 4 Large or 6 Smaller Mushroom Veggie Burgers

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:

• 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 1/2 lb mushrooms, roughly chopped (combination of crimini, shiitake, and Portobello)
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
  • 6 cloves minced garlic
  • 2/3 cup rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan
  • 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley, or 1 tsp dried parsley flakes
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
Preparation:
Heat 1 tbsp oil in large saucepan. Saute the mushrooms, onions and garlic over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until the liquid boils off, and the mushrooms begin to saute.

In large bowl, add mushroom mixture to oats, Parmesan, breadcrumbs, eggs, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper. Mix well. Allow to sit for 15 minutes to develop the flavors. Shape into patties. Heat 2 tbsp oil in large non-stick skillet, over medium heat. Fry patties, cooking about 5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.

Serve with your favorite burger toppings.

Source

Mushroom Burger Recipe - Mushroom Veggie Burger Recipe

@ Ricci Thanks!

No, I know that cutting meat out of my diet won't save the animals, yes I'm aware that plants are living too, and no I am not going to become malnourished. People can live without meat. I'm proof of that. Quote:
haha! i love this. i am not a vegan, nor am i vegetarian, but one of my close friends is so i know how much crap they get!

Lol tell me about it. I get enough crap from my own family about it. My dad has become much more supportive lately though. He picks me up veggie burgers, veggie balogny and salami and he even tried my veggie chili.
smile.gif
The one thing I hate the most though is when people tell me I'm going to become anemic or malnourished if I don't eat meat. Statistics show that vegetarians that eat balanced are very healthy.

Originally Posted by Cipriana /img/forum/go_quote.gif Oh no, did I actually write inhibitants? I meant inhabitants of course
tongue.gif
it was late in my country when I wrote that... haha
It took me a couple of years to go from a vegetarian who ate cheese, dairy, eggs to going full vegan, most importantly because I realised that all the damage I was doing by eating dairy and eggs was just the same as I would when eating meat, but eating meat has been an alien understanding to me for many many years, I turned vegetarian in my early teens, but yes the transition into vegan took a while, it came with maturing I suppose.

It was not hard for me, because I never felt bad about myself when I was not ready to transition to the vegan lifestyle. I really believe in going at your own pace, and nothing should be punished.

I might still have some organic dairy sometimes, but the main idea is a vegan lifestyle. I am also very interested in raw foods and herbalism.

I would love to hear from you about your vegan beauty products!
biggrin.gif

It's alright, I understood what you were talking about. Not very vegan of you if you still eat dairy, even if it is rarely
brsh.gif

Lately, I'm using KissMyFace products because they're vegan. As for my food creations, if you're interested in a recipe just let me know.

Originally Posted by Ricci /img/forum/go_quote.gif Thanks for this post (thread) . Im considering to become vegan , I no longer can tolerate red meat and too much chicken .. I get nauseous form it.. I may try this If you're interested in going vegan you'll have to give up meat, all dairy and eggs. There are lacto-ovo vegetarians who eat dairy and eggs. There is also lacto vegetarians who eat dairy but not eggs. And ovo vegetarians who eat eggs but no dairy.

Back