Vegan Lifestyle

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol, the categories are still confusing me
roflmao.gif

You don't have to give up everything all at once though, try taking one thing off the menu, find a vegetarian option instead, then move onto the next thing.

I had to find a compromise with my family though : i taste the meal, but you let me have my vegetarian option. I'm lucky enough to have a healthfood store close in town.

One stupid comment i had recently and which let me very confused is i was eating a homemade lunch at uni, a salad with bits of tofu in it (marinated in spices
icon_cheesygrin.gif
). I also had a soy yogurt and anyway my friend eating with me asked me what it was, i tell her it's soy and she tells me soy was originally a GMO made to feed animals, and she implied it wasn't good for my health because of that.

Now i admit i love soy, but i don't eat just soy. Besides, what's wrong with that ? Has she checked her morning muesli ? I know for having read all the boxes they all contain a good portion of oats, which were used to feed horses long before we introduced it on our breakfast tables. What's wrong with not eating the stupid expensive sandwich of the cafeteria ?

Anyway, that's just me venting.

Absolutely everyone has their pace. It was pretty much cold turkey for me. After researching, watching videos and viewing pictures, I couldn't bare it anymore. I was vegetarian as a teen too, so the transition wasn't hard either. There is great debate about soy but many of the products out there are non-GMO (that's genetically modified organisms) for anyone who doesn't know. Plus, the Japanese for an example have consumed soy for many years and they happen to be some of the healthiest people on Earth. I think it's like anything really...too much of a particular thing could possible be bad for you. And as for your friend well I don't get why she said that in the first place. It's not like you asked. You should've thrown in back in her face that she's eating animal feed too! LOL

Chocolate alone is not a vegetable. Cacao beans on the other hand are grown in trees. It's been said the cacao beans/pods are vegetables.

Originally Posted by danixcalifornia /img/forum/go_quote.gif I know that cutting meat out of my diet won't save the animals. That's like saying if everyone gave up meat they'd still be slaughtered. You just may be pleasantly surprised with how many animals are saved due to going veg*n. (veg*n = vegan or vegetarian)
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by Johnnie /img/forum/go_quote.gif Absolutely everyone has their pace. It was pretty much cold turkey for me. After researching, watching videos and viewing pictures, I couldn't bare it anymore. I was vegetarian as a teen too, so the transition wasn't hard either. There is great debate about soy but many of the products out there are non-GMO (that's genetically modified organisms) for anyone who doesn't know. Plus, the Japanese for an example have consumed soy for many years and they happen to be some of the healthiest people on Earth. I think it's like anything really...too much of a particular thing could possible be bad for you. And as for your friend well I don't get why she said that in the first place. It's not like you asked. You should've thrown in back in her face that she's eating animal feed too! LOL LOL ! I guess i was feeling bad for drinking my favorite poison (ahem, i mean a soda in a red can with white lettering...).
Lol, Karren, chocolate isn't a vegetable, but chocolate contains magnesium and was used as an antidepressant in the 19th century (if memory serves). So it's good for your health !!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Of course this argument works better with dark chocolate.

Originally Posted by Johnnie /img/forum/go_quote.gif That's like saying if everyone gave up meat they'd still be slaughtered. You just may be pleasantly surprised with how many animals are saved due to going veg*n. (veg*n = vegan or vegetarian)
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Exactly. It may not save many animals (remains debatable), but the food we have to grow or buy just to feed the animals that will feed us, could be well used to save some people from dying of hunger. It's kind of sickening.

Originally Posted by magosienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif Lol, Karren, chocolate isn't a vegetable, but chocolate contains magnesium and was used as an antidepressant in the 19th century (if memory serves). So it's good for your health !!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Of course this argument works better with dark chocolate. It may be good for health but when I eat too much I get a headache...haha! Apparently I'm not the only one too.

Originally Posted by magosienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif Exactly. It may not save many animals (remains debatable), but the food we have to grow or buy just to feed the animals that will feed us, could be well used to save some people from dying of hunger. It's kind of sickening. That is very true. Unreal!

Hmm...I have just made a pretty drastic change to my diet, but nothing to do with veganism or vegetarianism.

Basically, about 10 years ago, I stopped eating proper meals and just started eating loads of junk instead; crisps, chocolate, microwave meals etc. It got to the point where if someone made me a small proper meal, I would struggle to finish it.

A couple of weeks ago, I decided that enough was enough, and that I had to eat proper meals every day, not just once a week. Where meat and dairy are concerned, I love chicken, sometimes eat beef either minced or as burgers, occasionally eat ham, and on the rare occasion pork or lamb. I've also recently discovered a liking for fish, mainly tuna and salmon although I do also like trout, and on occasion cod or haddock. Dairy wise, I love eggs, yoghurt and milk, but don't use butter or cheese much any more. But all of the above can be difficult as I have no fridge freezer, so if I get any of these items, I need to use them immediately save them spoiling.

I have also started eating loads of fruit and veg, which make a loads better snack than chocolate and crisps. I dread to think how much money I've wasted over the years on Pringles (serious addiction), but although I've not bought any in 3 weeks, I'm not sure if I could ever give them up completely...I've had some really bad cravings for some since I stopped eating them, but I've managed to avoid the savoury snacks aisle in Tesco so far...

I'm determined to keep this new way of eating going though, although I am yet to feel any benefits; in fact, since I started eating fruit on a regular basis, I have begun to suffer with constipation, which I thought fruit cured, not caused...?
confused.gif
But I have been told that within a month or so, I should start feeling a lot better, will sleep better, not be tired during the day, and probably have healthier skin, hair and nails too...here's hoping
smile.gif

Ok, just edited my current post, it was a bit rude. Heartofdarkness, I'm glad you ditched the bad food. Since, this is a vegan thread, are you at all interested in veganism or vegetarianism?

Rude how?
confused.gif

I'm not sure really, to be honest I can't imagine myself going vegetarian or vegan, but good on you and others for showing a commitment to this lifestyle.

Just out of curiosity, can you eat Quorn or other 'meat free' products as a vegan?

Never heard of Quorn but absolutely. I've tried 'meatless' bologna, ham and turkey in the past and they were ok. The texture is more rough and dense and taste wise....well....it definitely doesn't taste 'exactly' like meat but it's pretty good. I no longer eat them because to me it's almost like saying it's still ok to get that taste of meat without the remorse. I didn't like that idea so I ditched them. I didn't feel right eating meatless meat that tasted a little like meat...hope that all makes sense. LOL!

Lol ! I feel the same. We try so much to find meat alternatives, get the taste of meat without the meat, like meat is still the reference to live by. It's rather a matter of vocabulary. Vegans/vegetarians define themselves by comparison to omnivores, i don't eat this, i don't eat that. I'm not saying it's wrong, i think it's the simplest and most convenient explanation. But i also wonder, of all the people who were interested in my diet and i tell them i don't eat "...", i'm not sure one of them paused to ask "what do you eat?".

I just don't think we can build ourselves, lives, personalities, by comparison to others.

Oh yes, it also gave birth to the idea, which i don't know if it's french or universal, that vegetarian cuisine isn't real cuisine, and that you cannot get a satisfying meal out of a meatless one.

I think it's because traditional cuisine has the taste of mom teaching how to cook to your younger self, it's the comfort of a recipe that cannot go wrong after being passed down generation to generation. But it doesn't make much sense today considering : 1/we no longer are educated taste wise and 2/we are less dependent to the weather and geography concerning the accessibility of products. The main criteria nowadays is the product's ability to be produced in mass, and how easily it can found at the local supermarket.

Okay Johnnie, I'm hoping for some insight here...

About 3 weeks ago I decided to become Vegan. One of the reasons was the book Skinny ***** and the other reasons were personal choices. I've had no problems with this so far and feel much more 'clean' and pure. I enjoy Soy so it wasnt a huge switch for me. My problem is eating out....I'm going out with friends for dinner tonight to a Thai restaurant, and am fussing over what the heck im going to eat. I only eat Organically grown fruits and veggies and wouldnt expect a restaurant to have organically grown produce. How do you order when you're at a restaurant? It's hard to look for items that have no meat or animal by products!! I dont eat out often, infact this will be the first time in months, but do you have any pointers for future reference?

Originally Posted by Adrienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif While I'm far from vegan, I do hardly ever eat meat. Personally, I hate pork, it always hurts my stomach afterwards, beef is okay but I love chicken. But, I think I eat meat maybe 2x a week and it's almost always chicken. I'm fine eating all vegetables and fruits, which I actually prefer the taste off. A good steak is too hard to resist personally lol. Kudos to going all vegan and I'm glad it's really worked for you
smile.gif
Hmm I get an upset stomach eating pork too, especially eating mole de puerco! So I don't really eat that anymore.
I give much credit to anyone who is a vegan, but I couldn't do it. I could live without meat, but not milk. I drink one gallon of milk in 3 days. My mom calls me "calf" for a nickname.

Thanks Shaundra, unfortunetly for me, most of those restaurants are not in Canada. A few were, I guess its just gotta be trial and error. I mean, I know dishes with Tofu should be okay, just need to confirm I suppose.

First off, congratulations for going Vegan. That's awesome!

Normally I call ahead and ask which entrees do not contain dairy, eggs, meat or broths. Unfortunately, sometimes they don't have anything that's vegan and so I've had to stick with a salad and a side of vinaigrette. For the most part, you can ask the chef to prepare a vegan meal for you with egg-free noodles, tofu and veggies in vegetable broth. I've done this several times and they were always nice about it.

I lucked out with this Thai place we went to, they had a section of the menu that was Vegan Friendly!!
smile.gif

Congrats !

Indian is easy because they have lots of recipes that don't call for meat.

For the other places, i order stuff with rice in it, salads or soups, or just a plate of vegetables.

I also liek to go in japanese restaurants because i can order rice, miso soup and cucumber/avocado makis or california rolls.

Back