What makeup rules do you break??? You Rebel!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually break the rule: No dramatic eye makeup with a dramatic lip.

I love my super dramatic black smokey eye and I always wear it with a bright blue-toned pink or a nice bright fuchsia. Lots of celebrities break the rule too, and I figure, it looks great on them why shouldn't I try it? So I did and loved it and now it's my signature look!

I also agree about keeping powder products for extended periods of time. I think companies know we do that because they make their products HUGE! Look at the size of Urban Decay highlighters or Wet n Wild's bronzers, those were not meant to be used-up in 6 months!

Quote: Originally Posted by CandyLipstick
I also agree about keeping powder products for extended periods of time. I think companies know we do that because they make their products HUGE! Look at the size of Urban Decay highlighters or Wet n Wild's bronzers, those were not meant to be used-up in 6 months!
Why? Is there actually somebody that bins powder products after a while? LoooooL!!

I expect my powders to stay with me forever!!
hahaha.gif

I agree with everyone on the powder products, but I use everything until it drys out, changes color or texture. I have Mac shadows from at least 12 years ago that work just fine and Yes I might be a makeup hoarder...

I just saw people on the Sephora thread melting lippies in the microwave that broke or they didn't like the color. They mixed them or just repotted in a jar or fill-able lip gloss  tubes. I'm going to try this tonight =) with some colors that just don't work on their own.

The whole concealer under and over foundation thing. I rarely use concealer...but when I do...it'll go on first. I just don't like looking like a two-toned hot mess if applying foundation first. Don't tell me to do it otherwise. And I hate the whole highlighting effect using concealer under the eye and all that. Looks weird on me. I don't have dark circles so foundation does the job. 

If I do use concealer, it is to cover dark spots and it will go under. Nothing drastic has happened to me yet...so yah.

Bahaha, my powders last me an eternity- if it still looks good, smells good and wears good- It's goin' on my face. (I also clean my makeup stuff regularly, so that helps.) I do try and not keep liquidy stuff too long, especially eye stuff like mascara....but I know I've broken the expiration on those before. Honestly, I think they dry out around their expriation for me anyways, so whatever. But I try. It's hard when you're a hoarder and have so much in your arsenal to keep up with. (And don't tell me to label/organize....I just....I make a resolution every year to do stuff like that and I swear....I'm just too artsy/spaced out in the brain to do it! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Poor little Slinka living in her organized chaos.)

I often go out looking like...well, my pictures. That's my look. Even at work, albeit I had some weird jobs. I'll have eye-enhancing dramatic eye makeup and bold lips to match, I paint my face to match my mood and my wig lol. So I'll join that club. Rules be damned.

~*~ BUT- now that I have clinicals and stuff, I've toned it down a bit, mostly because
A) I have to make a good impression with everyone- especially since I could very well end up working at this place once certified
B) 10 hour shift with no breaks + my giant lenses? No thank you. I'll just wear my glasses, and glasses = no lashes and dramatically eye enhancing makeup
C) It's hard to look like a doll in frumpy unisex blue scrubs :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> So what's the point lol

But I'll still sport some bright eyeshadows/liners/mascaras and my winged winer, 'cause that's how I roll. Not so much lip though- I'll stain them a reasonable color, but I just don't have the time to touch up ANYTHING while y'know, I'm showering my little old dementia resident, on my way to hydrate a whole side of a facility, etc. I have time to apply lip balm over a stain occasionally.

I'll admit this- it's sort of nice to not have to remove 4-6 (or more) lashes from my face at night! ~*~

Quote: Originally Posted by ItalianDream /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I have no idea if this is a rule or just the way it's supposed to be done, but I don't draw the eyeliner all over my eye.... my eyeliner (whether on the upper or bottom lash line) ALWAYS begins just about where my eyelashes start, so kinda far from the tear duct...

I tried many times a line that started from the tear duct but it just doesn't suit me... It makes my eyes look awfully smaller and somewhat lifeless...

I heard somewhere that apparently it's not the best idea in the world to wear bronzer and blush together.... well I do, almost everytime...

I have been taught to apply foundation first and then concealer, I do totally the other way round and thank god that one day I just decided to try it cos I  like it way better... but I know that definitely I am not the only one though, many people start with the concealer but I just don't understand those make up artists that insist to say "Foundation always goes first!!!!"...

And since we're talking about breaking makeup rules, I wish I was more brave like you and wear a bold lipstick with a strong eyes makeup cos I just can't..... "The rule" stops me a lot from doing that and I am always scared that the result will be simply "too much" so I never dare...

I understand the reason that most recommend it that way - it's possible that applying the foundation will move the concealer, blah blah blah. But like you, I prefer to put my concealer on first, anyway!

Most often I apply my eyeshadow with my fingers rather than a brush - I think it lets me control it better, though I know many would disagree on that!

I wear crazy colors too; blue eyeliner, dramatic eyes AND lips at the same time, smokey eyes for day... I don't think there are rules either, as long as you look great 
wink.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by Bluephoeenix /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm a goth so I ignore most to all those rules.
It seems like goth has its own set of makeup rules, though. 

I think I broke every normal makeup rule yesterday:  Matte bright red (with a slight shimmer) eyeshadow on my lids, taupey-purpley shimmery shadow in the crease, all-over shimmery bone base, extra-sparkly glitter serum on the browbone, sparkly slightly-purple brown eyeliner pencil, bright red lips until I got to work and wiped it off so I wouldn't have red lipstick all over my teeth after I ate breakfast, a basically bare (I used a Glamour Doll Eyes HydraGlaze that doesn't show up on my lips at all, but I love the texture) lip after that, and way too much rosy blush.  I work for a bank.  It was a work day.  I actually got complimented on my eyeshadow.  Somehow, that combination turned into a lovely bright springy coral on me.

Goth and Punk have been around so long that I always think they are long dead trends. Once you get to be my age Goth transforms into "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane"

I consider myself to be a "rule follower" for the most part, but some things are just ridiculous. Expiration dates on makeup? Please, I think I can tell when it's time to throw something out. "This color or that color won't work with your coloring." (Referring to eyeshadow) I know so many people who didn't buy the naked 3 palette for the sole reason of "it won't work with my yellow undertones" BS!!! Every color looks different on every person! I've been pleasantly suprised by so many shades that were "not supposed to" work for me! I've worn winged eyeliner to work, mixed in a few colors here and there, my nails are NEVER neutral. I think these rules were made because of poor execution, not the products themselves.

I apply my foundation with my fingers most of the time.  It looks more natural on me this way since I only use enough to even out my skin tone.

I also wear colored eye liners to work a lot of the time even though I work in a fairly conservative field.  I keep everything else pretty neutral so they're my little bit of color.

I give most colors a try before deciding they won't work with my coloring.  Although I'm really fair, I have a pretty neutral skin tone so a lot of things end up working.

Hopping in on the 'I keep my makeup too long' wagon.  I found an original Hard Candy quad that I've had for almost 20 (!) years and was thinking of posting a nostalgia thread but didn't want anyone to be grossed out.  It's a green palette that I can only ever find a reason to wear twice a year.  

I'm bad about liquid products too, which is really bad.  Every lipgloss I own I get down to the dregs and refuse to use it because I don't want to finish it. 

Also on topic, I don't wash my makeup off, and I use silicone primers and oily BB creams.  I swear the dirtier my skin gets the happier it is.  Dry skin.

Quote: Originally Posted by Jen283 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I consider myself to be a "rule follower" for the most part, but some things are just ridiculous.

Expiration dates on makeup? Please, I think I can tell when it's time to throw something out.

"This color or that color won't work with your coloring." (Referring to eyeshadow) I know so many people who didn't buy the naked 3 palette for the sole reason of "it won't work with my yellow undertones" BS!!! Every color looks different on every person! I've been pleasantly suprised by so many shades that were "not supposed to" work for me!

I've worn winged eyeliner to work, mixed in a few colors here and there, my nails are NEVER neutral.

I think these rules were made because of poor execution, not the products themselves.
I have to admit that I am one of those that bought into the whole "pink colors don't look good on my warm tones...." but I think I am now learning that it really does depend on how I wear them and what I put under them. if I wear a base to neutralize my rather warm-yellow lid area, the pinks don't turn "orange" on me if that makes any sense, and it's actually quite pleasant.

Though I often find that pinks need to have more of a mauve-y base for them to work on me... and they only really work during the winter. if the base isn't mauve or brown for the pink, I look like someone punched me in the eyes.

Quote: Originally Posted by Meggpi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Hopping in on the 'I keep my makeup too long' wagon.  I found an original Hard Candy quad that I've had for almost 20 (!) years and was thinking of posting a nostalgia thread but didn't want anyone to be grossed out.  It's a green palette that I can only ever find a reason to wear twice a year.  

I'm bad about liquid products too, which is really bad.  Every lipgloss I own I get down to the dregs and refuse to use it because I don't want to finish it. 

Also on topic, I don't wash my makeup off, and I use silicone primers and oily BB creams.  I swear the dirtier my skin gets the happier it is.  Dry skin.
dry skin is the bane of my existence -- I am VERY peculiar about washing my face, though, at least if I wear makeup. back in my teen years, my face only got "washed" (read: water splashed on it) while I was in the shower, and those were my absolute best skin years of my life. now as I am getting older, it gets annoyed and breaks out if I don't wash it, but it also dries out if I do. So I have been putting a lot of emphasis on mild makeup removers (bioderma ftw), and a good moisturizing regime. and of course, SPF day in and day out no matter what.

I was asked the other day how college was going lol! it was a stranger at a bookstore. I asked him how old he thought I was. He said 19. I'm 26. 

I always put mascara on my bottom lashes. I'm not sure if not putting mascara there is a "rule," but I do know that people say not to apply mascara there. I also wear "harshly lined" eyeliner on the lower lashline an waterline, but I do my upper lash line as well; eyeliner just on the lower lash line and waterline looks bad. I've never used a lip liner before; I'm quite terrified of them. I'm also terrified of lash curlers, but I don't have downturned eyelashes so it's okay.

I don't curl my lashes, they have a okay curl on their own and my hg mascara work wonders. I think the curlers look like torture devices!

Quote: Originally Posted by sugarhiccup /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I always put mascara on my bottom lashes. I'm not sure if not putting mascara there is a "rule," but I do know that people say not to apply mascara there. I also wear "harshly lined" eyeliner on the lower lashline an waterline, but I do my upper lash line as well; eyeliner just on the lower lash line and waterline looks bad.

I've never used a lip liner before; I'm quite terrified of them. I'm also terrified of lash curlers, but I don't have downturned eyelashes so it's okay.
i think it's because it "transfers" -- though i have started putting just a tiiiiny bit on my lower lashes so i dont look like i have a bald lower lashline lol plus it somehow keeps my mascara from my top lashes from transferring down and giving me raccoon eyes... 

lip liners are great! they also help your lipstick from "feathering" which is not a flattering look at all. if they're too scary for you, try just getting one that is the exact or similar color of your lips... then you can line your lips to keep lipstick in place, without being scared of it looking weird. 

lash curlers are the creepiest thing ever lol i'm with you on that. i avoid them at all costs. the idea of ripping out eyelashes is not exciting to me. 

Back