Who subs to Ophelia's Apothecary?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am just waiting for a flash sale that I paid SHIPPING for to go out - I assume my february bag will be in there.  And then it is just a countdown for the March bag.  I am sorry, but I cannot subscribe to someone who treats her customers so badly.  She must know that people are upset about this, right?  I mean, I do cut her a lot of slack and I wait several weeks before contacting her, but this is just insane.

Quote: Originally Posted by biancardi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I am just waiting for a flash sale that I paid SHIPPING for to go out - I assume my february bag will be in there.  And then it is just a countdown for the March bag.  I am sorry, but I cannot subscribe to someone who treats her customers so badly.  She must know that people are upset about this, right?  I mean, I do cut her a lot of slack and I wait several weeks before contacting her, but this is just insane.

Her Facebook seems to imply that she thinks her customers are all wrong for being pissed and the comments imply that the majority of her fans agree with her.

I don't understand it....

Quote: Originally Posted by biskies /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Her Facebook seems to imply that she thinks her customers are all wrong for being pissed and the comments imply that the majority of her fans agree with her.

I don't understand it....
Those might be her personal friends that are commenting like that....I cannot imagine customers agreeing that it is reasonable to wait for weeks, if not months, for their products that they paid for. 

Those might be her personal friends that are commenting like that....I cannot imagine customers agreeing that it is reasonable to wait for weeks, if not months, for their products that they paid for. 

True.  She posted something about how some message she's getting are supportive and some are not.  All the comments on it are in support of her.  I just fail to understand how no one sees a problem with her outright saying that she's using current orders' money to pay to ship past due orders.  That's so wrong, I have no words for it.  I make custom wood panel wall art and sell on Etsy.  If I ever held someone's piece because I was waiting for someone ELSE to order, I would have nightmarish messages.  If I did it to literally dozens of customers?  Etsy would have shut my shop down.  I'm surprised no one has escalated the issue with PayPal.  I mean "I can't afford to send this to you until more people order", indie or not, is ridiculous.  For those that missed it:

"This is absolutely the only thing we have for income and when we get behind in shipping, it could be from 1) us having to take time away from the shop with medical testing and whatnot, or 2) not having the funds to ship. So, while I am behind, I do still have to post flash sales and such to keep income coming in so that I can pay out to ship orders. This is not the way I would like to handle it, but when the medical needs outweighs what's coming in, it's simply a fact of life. I've had messages saying 'hire someone to do it for you'...that is not a luxury we have available to us. I can tell you that I will try my best to get through the orders just as soon as possible and get the items to you. Sometimes, when people request items and I invoice, they may not realize that I'm counting on those funds to ship products.....and they wait a week or so to pay or forget and don't pay at all. This also prohibits shipping because I will have sometimes around $400 out in invoices that are just hanging out and I don't know when or if they will get paid. I just wanted to let you all be aware of the situation and please know that I am not intentionally stalling orders. I am trying the best I can to juggle a ton of stuff and appreciate any and all understanding. ~xo"

P.S. Blaming other customers for why someone isn't getting their stuff is essentially what is happening here.

Uh...  Yeah, pretty sure this is illegal.  I'm fairly certain you cannot hold Customer A's order pending a future order from Customer B.  That has *got* to be prohibited by the FTC.  It reminds me of a Ponzi scheme.

Quote:  A Ponzi scheme is a fraudulent investment operation that pays returns to its investors from existing capital or new capital paid by new investors, rather than from profit earned by the individual or organization running the operation.

I would dig around on the FTC site and see if I could find anything definitive stating this sort of thing is or is not allowed, but the last few episodes of the second season of _House of Cards_ are calling my name.  Actually, I might just finish the one ep I'm in the middle of and then go to bed.  Before 9pm.  On a Friday.  Then I'll get up early and get some cleaning done before I head over to my aunt's to use her Turbotax so I can file electronically.  Do I know how to have a good time or what?

As a side note, hey, everybody, bookmark this for future reference:

http://www.business.ftc.gov/documents/bus02-business-guide-mail-and-telephone-order-merchandise-rule

It goes into detail about shipping turnaround time requirements and what companies must do if there is a delay. 

yep, I read that too. since I pay within 24 hours after I get an invoice, I am being punished for the deadbeats :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

nice.

The thing is, though, the order isn't even placed until the invoice is paid.  I mean, it should be first order placed and paid, first served.

The bigger issue though is that she shouldn't be relying on new orders in order to have money to ship old orders.  The concept isn't hard...you charge enough to be able to cover your costs, including shipping, and make a profit.  She's clearly not doing that, so having flash sales is counterproductive if she's not even making enough on full priced orders to allow her to ship stuff that is going on two months old :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by marigoldsue /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have never subbed to her boxes, but I think this is the same woman that I bought jewelry from locally back in 2008.   She was in the process of switching over from jewelry at the time.   Is she still operating out of the Kansas City area?  If so, I could try to purchase locally from her and ship it to you myself if you would like.
That's so nice of you! Thanks, but I'm thinking she has a shop in Branson now.  I can live without the moisturizer, but I just hate it that I may have found a HG product for my skin that may be difficult to actually keep ordering.

Come to think of it, I received my first bag in January, and then immediately placed my order for detangler and oil, and have not received those OR my February bag.  I realize she's in over her head, but if people are paying for items, it's perfectly reasonable to expect to receive them within a couple of weeks.

Oh, ladies! You have much more patience than I do. I would be super upset over the whole not being able to send an order I paid for out until others buy stuff?! Ridiculous.

First of all, I stopped subbing when all the trouble started.  Imagine my surprise when, in my email today, I find a paypal invoice for $14.99 for my subscription with the following:

We are starting our subscription packages back up! finally! March's packages will go out no later than the 14th. For a little preview....this month's package features pedi foot scrub, a rollon perfume of one of our new Spring fragrances, a luxe body oil spray, some sugar scoop scrubs, and who know's what else I will find! please respond 'decline' if you do not wish to receive this months package! hope you are doing swell! blessings, deborah

1.  When did it not exist?  2.  This sounds like a nice month, but I don't trust that I'll get it before June.  3.  Why would she invoice people that haven't subscribed in months?  Seems a bit...premature.  

Quote: Originally Posted by biskies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  First of all, I stopped subbing when all the trouble started.  Imagine my surprise when, in my email today, I find a paypal invoice for $14.99 for my subscription with the following:

We are starting our subscription packages back up! finally! March's packages will go out no later than the 14th. For a little preview....this month's package features pedi foot scrub, a rollon perfume of one of our new Spring fragrances, a luxe body oil spray, some sugar scoop scrubs, and who know's what else I will find! please respond 'decline' if you do not wish to receive this months package! hope you are doing swell! blessings, deborah

1.  When did it not exist?  2.  This sounds like a nice month, but I don't trust that I'll get it before June.  3.  Why would she invoice people that haven't subscribed in months?  Seems a bit...premature.  

I know - I am confused with that first sentence of hers with your email.  When did they ever stop????  March's packages?  What happened to all of february?  I have a flash sale that I have been waiting on?

As I am still subbed for the month of march (that will be my last month), I got this email

Quote:   Hope you all are doing swell! I've created an email list *just* for those of you who are on our subscription list so that I may communicate updates and such just for you! I was exceptionally behind with the holidays and some medical stuff throwing me off track. Some of you have missed some packages....I have that recorded, and in an effort to get back on track with shipping, those missed months will be tacked on to the end of your subscription and I will resume shipping with March. So, for example,  if you missed one, you now have another month longer than your original term. I so appreciate your patience and kindness through this time! 

Secondly, I have a couple of flash sales going on...be sure to check them out below. To take advantage of any specials, simply contact me on facebook or reply to this email! 

For those of you that have not received your monthly invoice, I will be sending them across tonight. If you would like to subscribe for a longer term, I'm offering 4 months for the price of three right now! 

Hugs and loves ladies! 
So, since Feb. sub never went out, what am I getting in the mail?  I have no fricking clue.

I know - I am confused with that first sentence of hers with your email.  When did they ever stop????  March's packages?  What happened to all of february?  I have a flash sale that I have been waiting on?

As I am still subbed for the month of march (that will be my last month), I got this email

So, since Feb. sub never went out, what am I getting in the mail?  I have no fricking clue.

It sounds like you're not getting February at all.  You'll instead get March and April...which is ridiculous because you paid to get February and March.  Really awful that she took it upon herself to do this without asking for input from her customers.   :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I bought a couple short subscriptions to various boxes as presents at Christmas.  I'm so glad that this was not one of them.  I'd be humiliated.

I never even GOT any notification about boxes starting back up, so you're a step ahead of me.

But, in reality, I got no bag for January or February. So.... I get one for March and that's supposed to count for all 3?!

Since my payment is past the 2 month refund stipulation at Paypal, can we even file for a refund now?

What can I do? Anything?   Does anybody know more information about steps we can take?

Quote: Originally Posted by ohforgetit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I never even GOT any notification about boxes starting back up, so you're a step ahead of me.

But, in reality, I got no bag for January or February. So.... I get one for March and that's supposed to count for all 3?!

Since my payment is past the 2 month refund stipulation at Paypal, can we even file for a refund now?

What can I do? Anything?   Does anybody know more information about steps we can take?

You should be getting a bag in March, April and May then...You will have to message her on facebook and bug the complete shit out of her

seriously, I think that is what it takes.  The worst she can do is cancel you and refund your money.

Goodness I think the best thing that could have happened to me was when she got mad at me for complaining and canceled and refunded my sub money.... what a loon.... sorry that is just so unprofessional.

I did get my feb. box today and I do like it a lot.  Some new stuff for me.   I placed two  flash sale orders with her and it does seem she is really trying to get back on track.  That said, I think I prefer her flash sales and March will be my last monthly bag with her, but I will still place orders with her, as I think those are the better deal.

This is what I got - she sub'd some of the scents for my allergies, so I do think she is trying really hard to get back on track

so I just c&p'd stuff from my blog (hint, hint, take a read)

• Perfume sample in Mediterranean Fig.  This smells so wonderful and I will purchase this scent when this sample runs out.  Notes: “fig, amber,sandalwood and fresh lemon“.  I can really smell the sandalwood and fig.
  • Peppermint pedi foot scrub in Peppermint.  I don’t smell the peppermint, but this stuff is great for the feet.   I did purchase a full size after trying this out – time to get my feet sandal ready!
  • Honey & Shea oil spray.   Notes: “herbal green shea  fruit tree blossom, soft musk and golden honey.“  I have this scent in the cuticle cream and it is nice, subtle scent.  I do like this scent in the spray oil form.  Very luxurious.
  • Lavender sugar scoop scrubs.  I received 4 of them this time, as I was missing my scoop scrub from January’s box.

I do hope that you ladies who do have big orders/missing monthly bags get your orders straightened out and she will make good on them for you.  Perhaps if you private message her again, you might get a better response time.  I know she has always been quick to respond to me, so I am not sure why she isn't responding to some of you...Don't use email - but facebook and private message.  She made good on my last order and I did get my Feb bag in March, BUT hey, Glossybox seems to do that too!! lol

I finally got the oil spray and detangler I ordered in January last week, but I haven't gotten a February or March bag, or any emails.  I really want this to work out, because I love that green tea cucumber face cream!

Quote: Originally Posted by Bethanys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I finally got the oil spray and detangler I ordered in January last week, but I haven't gotten a February or March bag, or any emails.  I really want this to work out, because I love that green tea cucumber face cream!
@Bethanys I would suggest going onto Facebook and message her and ask her about your missing bags.  Is your facebook email account different from your paypal email?   

She has been shipping since the weekend and I still have yet to receive a notification, also sent message for update on fb no response. I'm just so frustrated with this. I ordered in January and here we are the middle of March...

Yeah, I haven't messaged her yet since she said she was printing labels-I figured I'd just wait and see if something shows up in a couple days. However, I never even got the email about the missing month of subscription bags being tacked onto the end of subscriptions, so I hope she hasn't forgotten about me. A little frustrating-I get it, she's busy, but who isn't? 

Back