Who subs to Ophelia's Apothecary?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by vposey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I just got the January 'box' and was quite disappointed. I'm glad this was my last month (of 3 month sub).  The good news is that it arrived before Feb.  The bad news is that it was a huge disappointment.

This is what came:
- 11 baggies of loose eyeshadow and most of them are in colors I (nor others) could ever wear. Having the eyeshadow in baggies makes it very hard to use for the 1-2 colors I could wear.

- a teeny sample of lemon hand cream

- a container of what i think is bath salts like what we got in December

Her note said it was a 'little bit of this and a little bit of that'.  She stated "Packages will resume with larger samples next month".  I am flabbergasted about that last statement as it pretty much tells me those that subbed for January get leftovers of overstock items.

Very disappointing as the sub (I started in July) started out so promising for me and just went downhill.   I really wanted to support small business owners but I guess I will have to look for others to support.  I should have taken it as a sign that there was trouble when I looked at the Facebook page for the company.  The Comments from Others section has been removed and i noticed that if anyone posts a question about when they will receive their sub 'box', the comment gets deleted shortly after (I caught that a few times over the past few months)...

well, that better not be my bag - as I PAID for 10 samples of eyeshadows (10 bucks) - and that is extra to my Jan bag.  I better get a heck of lot more than 2 items.

I am supposed to get mine tomorrow - I will let you know what I get. 

I also got eyeshadow (I only got 10 baggies though), a hand cream, and a tiny bar of soap. Some of my eyeshadows look seperated too. Like I got this goldish color that is like gold near the top and white on the bottom, like it wasn't mixed well or something. This was my deciding month for this sub, and I am cancelling asap! I'm so dissapointed this month and I love loose eyeshadows! But I have enough redness around my eyes, I don't need like 5 different pink/red eyeshadow samples! I'm kinda sad actually because I'm getting a Victorian Disco box this month and I'm going to be drowning in loose shadow. 

Quote: Originally Posted by biancardi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  oh boy.  you mean I could have gotten those eyeshadows for nothing?  lol

I have a massive amount of shadow samples in baggies from all the loose shadows I've purchased (they always come with some).  This is my loose shadow collection (I own 83, evidently):

I am super glad I didn't renew this sub.  I would be pretty livid if I got those boxes.   :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  It's sad because her products look so promising.  However, there's really no excuse to try and unload unsold discontinued merchandise on your subscribers when the whole point is to try various items to find new products you want to use moving forward.  Clearly, if she's discontinuing her cosmetics, "sampling" them is pointless.   :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by biskies /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a massive amount of shadow samples in baggies from all the loose shadows I've purchased (they always come with some).  This is my loose shadow collection (I own 83, evidently):

I am super glad I didn't renew this sub.  I would be pretty livid if I got those boxes.   :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  It's sad because her products look so promising.  However, there's really no excuse to try and unload unsold discontinued merchandise on your subscribers when the whole point is to try various items to find new products you want to use moving forward.  Clearly, if she's discontinuing her cosmetics, "sampling" them is pointless.   :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
impressive shadow collection!! 

I will not be resub'ing after these 3 months are up.  I resubbed because my december box was really nice, but with the late shipping, and the "unfairness" of seeing other people's bags and all, just makes me rethink this whole sub.

She has some great products, but she needs to either hire some help for her packing & shipping or give up doing the monthly boxes.  Her flash sales are great but she can (and has) taken up to 2 weeks to ship out.  

Wow now I am really glad she canceled my subscription! LOL

There are just too many good sub boxes out there to get stuck with this hot mess.....

Quote: Originally Posted by NaydeneM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Wow now I am really glad she canceled my subscription! LOL

There are just too many good sub boxes out there to get stuck with this hot mess.....

Yep.  I can take a walk through Old Town Alexandria and find handmade beauty products.  I'm sure most people live near some sort of "Main Street USA" where they can do the same, or at least have a farmer's market nearby where they could pick up the same kind of thing.  I am nothing short of shocked at the sharp turn south this subscription took.

Quote: Originally Posted by biskies /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yep.  I can take a walk through Old Town Alexandria and find handmade beauty products.  I'm sure most people live near some sort of "Main Street USA" where they can do the same, or at least have a farmer's market nearby where they could pick up the same kind of thing.  I am nothing short of shocked at the sharp turn south this subscription took.
me too...

Hi everyone, I've been lurking in the subscription and sampling groups for a long, long time but this is surprisingly my first post! I just wanted to share that I still have no received my December bag or my January bag as well as some lip balms I had bought from her MORE THAN A MONTH AGO. I tried to be patient in past months even though I always got my bag during the first week of the month after I was supposed to get it, but this is just outrageous. I sent her a message a couple weeks ago on Facebook and she replied saying she is super behind on orders because she got overwhelmed and plans to put the sub on hold next December as a holiday break so she's not swamped. But, come on! It's nearly the end of January. I doubt she'll include anything extra for the trouble looking at everyone else's bags. I haven't even gotten a shipping notice yet. I wonder if my December bag will come in Christmas wrapping?! I bet she didn't send out my extra chapsticks order since she was waiting to send them all together to save on shipping, but that's not fair in my opinion since I ordered those the third week in December.

It's so sad because I genuinely love her products and use them, and the first couple months were really fantastic but it quickly went downhill. Unfortunately I renewed my three-month sub at the beginning of December expecting a great holiday bag and I have yet to see it. My sub expires with February and I will not be renewing. At this point, I'll be lucky to see both December and January bags in February!

Quote: Originally Posted by Frankie313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Hi everyone, I've been lurking in the subscription and sampling groups for a long, long time but this is surprisingly my first post! I just wanted to share that I still have no received my December bag or my January bag as well as some lip balms I had bought from her MORE THAN A MONTH AGO. I tried to be patient in past months even though I always got my bag during the first week of the month after I was supposed to get it, but this is just outrageous. I sent her a message a couple weeks ago on Facebook and she replied saying she is super behind on orders because she got overwhelmed and plans to put the sub on hold next December as a holiday break so she's not swamped. But, come on! It's nearly the end of January. I doubt she'll include anything extra for the trouble looking at everyone else's bags. I haven't even gotten a shipping notice yet. I wonder if my December bag will come in Christmas wrapping?! I bet she didn't send out my extra chapsticks order since she was waiting to send them all together to save on shipping, but that's not fair in my opinion since I ordered those the third week in December.

It's so sad because I genuinely love her products and use them, and the first couple months were really fantastic but it quickly went downhill. Unfortunately I renewed my three-month sub at the beginning of December expecting a great holiday bag and I have yet to see it. My sub expires with February and I will not be renewing. At this point, I'll be lucky to see both December and January bags in February!

That's actually disgustingly sad.  I'm not saying she intended to screw everyone over, but that's basically what happened.  It really isn't a good situation she's gotten herself into.  It's the 24th of January and she still has outstanding orders from early December?  AND she's waiting to ship them all together to save HER money????  Wow.  It's must be painful lugging around b*lls that big.

For the record, I ordered a scarf FROM CHINA at the end of December.  It's been keeping my neck warm for a week now.

That's what she did with mine. I ordered one of her Flash sales and she when she finally sent everything (she wanted to save on shipping) together it was Nov, Dec and my Flash sale items on the 23rd of Dec. The Dec bag was two items.... it was just all thrown together... sad as I did like some of her items a lot. Anytime I ever ordered anything extra she would always hold it and send it with my sub..... irritating.

Yeah she held onto my order too and sent it with my December bag. Sadly I had ordered some lip balms for my mom for Christmas since she really liked them the first week of December and I told her they were a present and I still ended up not getting them until the first week of January! Plus I"m pretty sure that I paid for shipping for that order, so I don't think that was really fair at all.

After reading these posts, I was getting a little concerned about this subscription, but I received my first bag/package today, and I'm pleased.  I probably won't use the eye shadow, and the card says I was supposed to get a lip balm, but there wasn't one in the package.  I like everything else, though, especially the dry oil in Dancing Waters.  

I do have a couple of questions for anyway familiar with her products, though.  I looked on her site to order some of the dry oil, and I don't see any.  Is the dry oil the same thing as the Bath Oil, or is it just something she doesn't always have available? Also, the sea salt-is that meant to be used like bath/soaking salts, or a scrub?

Here's what I received:

I got the same thing except I was missing the sugar scrubs!!  I did get the lip balm - lol

I do not know what the dry oil is - I would assume it is a body oil?  And the sea salts - I think that is for the tub or for soaking your feet.  Not to be used a body scrub.

I did message her on facebook about the missing sugar scoops and to please include that in my feb bag.  You should do the same with your lip balm.  I mean, you are missing an item.

I messaged her about it.  I also asked her about the oil.  I love that stuff-I keep sniffing my hands where I sprayed it on, LOL  

The lemon hand cream smells good enough to eat, too.

Quote: Originally Posted by Bethanys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I messaged her about it.  I also asked her about the oil.  I love that stuff-I keep sniffing my hands where I sprayed it on, LOL  

The lemon hand cream smells good enough to eat, too.
let me know what she says about the oil!  I am curious too.

I have the 4 oz of the hand cream - it is great stuff.  I will just scoop this sample into my big jar!  lol

Quote: Originally Posted by biancardi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  let me know what she says about the oil!  I am curious too.

I have the 4 oz of the hand cream - it is great stuff.  I will just scoop this sample into my big jar!  lol
I'll post when I hear back.  Have you (or has anyone else) tried her detangler? I'm thinking about ordering some-I get terrible tangles, and need something good that is silicone free. Currently using Miss Jessie's Condish, which is ok, but I'd love to find something better.

My package from her is making my whole downstairs smell yummy where I left it all sitting on the table.  I'm a sucker for anything that smells good!

no, I haven't tried her hair products.  I have tried her coffee body scrub, pumpkin body scrub, blueberry/limon face cleanser, face toner, green tea cucumber face cream, clay mask, her dirty and clean facial scrubs and soaps, as well as the hand cream.  I've also tried other things thru the sub, but I have purchased many full sized items thru her flash.

you can message her on FB and see if she will do a flash or promo with her detangler.

Thanks.

She messaged me back, and is going to send the lip balm with my February box.  The oil spray is $14, and comes in any scent-she said she needs to update her website, so it's not on there right now.  I'm going to order some of that, and try the detangler in chamomile.

Back