Words having negative culture connotations?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by gypsiemagic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I am just not a fan of the overly PC world. I am not one to get worked up over things, though I fully understand when and why people do. I can't imagine walking around on eggshells everyday in hopes of not offending every single person on the internet or in life. Just me.

I agree with these sentiments. However, maybe it's just my education that has warped me, but I do make exceptions and am mindful of words and comments that pertain to race, gender, sexuality, religion, and national origin. For me, it's not about walking around on eggshells; rather, it's about being respectful towards others.

Quote: Originally Posted by gypsiemagic   

I am just not a fan of the overly PC world. I am not one to get worked up over things, though I fully understand when and why people do. I can't imagine walking around on eggshells everyday in hopes of not offending every single person on the internet or in life. Just me.

I'm possibly one of the least PC people ever and I actively say things I know people can/will take offensively. Okay, well, that's an exaggeration. I'm not Ben Carson. (Shut up Ben Carson.)

When people say things like "Well, I think being PC is overrated", you know, I agree. But if someone is using that to justify being too inconsiderate to censor themselves about their bigotry, then I have no pity. I've certainly had my share of blunt force racism directed at me because people couldn't bother to censor themselves.

Also, it's not so much about whether or not it's offensive as the fact you're here trying to argue your case why people shouldn't bother or why individuals shouldn't get offended over the use. First of all, I'm not sure you ~realize~ this, but the internet is ~international~ and MUT is on the ~internet~ so your argument about how this is only related to America is null. Second, your unwillingness to acknowledge this as an issue and trying to brush it off is actually a form of microaggression, by not taking people's comments about it seriously. No one has the right to tell a group what they should or shouldn't be offended over if they are not affected by it.

Finally, I'll just end this on a note about hipster racism. I don't care about SBC or his work, but I like Colbert so I understand the point of satire. However, that said, most of the things in that movie were meant to be offensive. The difference between satire and irony is that satire makes a point but irony doesn't have to. Satire highlights problematic things. Irony is just the opposite of what you "mean". Ironic, just because you don't "mean" it, doesn't mean it is not offensive.

Christopher Priest, the first black black editor in comics had this to say about "ironic" racism:

Quote:
As an intern for Marvel in the late 70's, racist jokes were routinely, as in every day, thrown my way. By white intellectuals, By people who did not regard themselves as racist and did not regard their remarks as racist simply by virtue of the fact they were the ones making them. [...] Nobody meant any harm, of course, but that's exactly my point. To them , this was good fun, not racism. We were all beyond racism...where we can make racist jokes without necessarily being racist. [x]

Just because you don't "mean" it offensively doesn't mean it's not offensive to people who it refers to.

Quote: Originally Posted by gypsiemagic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Peanut gallery

I use peanut gallery because of Peanuts and I'm aware that there is a negative connotation but here where I live it's also a term of endearment. I try not to use it any longer however it slips from time to time.

I use peanut gallery because of Peanuts and I'm aware that there is a negative connotation but here where I live it's also a term of endearment. I try not to use it any longer however it slips from time to time.
I just realized I've been mixing up the origins of "groundlings" and "peanut gallery" for *years*.

I actually come to the Indian/Native American discussion from a different perspective.  One of my best friends is from India, and she actually finds it annoying/offensive when she tells people that she is Indian, and people then think she is Native American.  They are very different cultures, and while she has nothing against Native Americans, she then has to deal with the fact that the nomenclature of her heritage was (mis)appropriated by a third party to apply to another culture.  (Most annoying are the people that say "Oh, you're Indian?  Dot or feather?  Har har har!")

So I am *very* careful to differentiate between Indian/Native American (and I really like the Canadian term "First Nation!"  Then it doesn't even use the term "American", which is based on an Italian explorer - Amerigo Vespucci - instead of the actual nations & tribes that existed pre-European exploration/colonization)

There was an awesome YouTube video I saw several months ago about "stupid questions people ask Asians" (and I'm pretty sure they had them for other ethnic/cultural groups) that really brought home the idea that even the questions people ask in innocence, without any intent of racism, can be horribly offensive.  (I can't find the video anymore!  If anyone remembers it & can find it, please embed it in this thread!)  Like others have said, it's not about walking on eggshells, it's about being respectful of others. 

Quote: Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There was an awesome YouTube video I saw several months ago about "stupid questions people ask Asians" (and I'm pretty sure they had them for other ethnic/cultural groups) that really brought home the idea that even the questions people ask in innocence, without any intent of racism, can be horribly offensive.  (I can't find the video anymore!  If anyone remembers it & can find it, please embed it in this thread!)  Like others have said, it's not about walking on eggshells, it's about being respectful of others. 
Not sure if this is the one you're thinking of, but I'm pretty fond of this one XD

0.jpg

Not sure if this is the one you're thinking of, but I'm pretty fond of this one XD
I get this non-stop. "Where are you from?" "Tulsa." "I mean what's your nationality?" "American." I'm Vietnamese/French and I look Asian, but because of the little bit of French I don't look "Asian." I was born and raised in Oklahoma and I sometimes have a little southern draw. But I still get asked all of these questions.

I once asked a coworker of Chinese descent where he was from.  He clearly got offended and very icily asked, "You mean what's my ethnicity?"  No, dude, I mean where you grew up.  Literally in what city/state.  Because you are clearly not from Atlanta (where he was living), but I can't quite pinpoint which southern state those vowels are from, and they sound *really* familiar.  I really don't care where your family came from aside from where you attended grade school.  He got upset in a different way: "Texas.  I thought I got rid of the accent."  Sorry, man, your vowels drag like a long dirt road, at least to me.  

Quote: Originally Posted by quene8106 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  yup i cringe everytime i hear someone call a native american an indian and i'm a cherokee. i totally forgot monday was a holiday b/c that's how much i care about christopher columbus, haha.
My DIL is half-Cherokee and half-Filipina. She has really opened my eyes to the injustices in this world, and I hope has made me a better person for it. 

I hate to be coming to this late, but I just saw it as I had tons and tons of posts in the BB thread to catch up on. I just wanted to point out that many words we use and don't know about probably have odd beginnings. In some cases, this will include non-PC beginnings such as racial slurs. Things evolve. The English language is so rich and complex that if we stopped using any words that offended someone based on a history dating back hundreds of years, I bet we would lose a lot of good words. (Sorry, wish I had some examples, but I don't. I will say that the stereotype on blonde women actually originated as a stereotype against blonde men. Not a word, but still in this category of things being offensive and shifting over time. Blonde women still get stereotyped but no one links blonde hair on men to anything anymore).

Anyway, I used to think the exact opposite of how I think now. I used to be ultra PC. I still believe in respecting others, but at the same time I think you have to balance it with people not being overly sensitive. Words take a certain course through time. Personally, even though I was an English major and I love to write, the first time I ever heard jipped (sp?) being linked to Gypsies was on here. I wonder if it became ok to say as there is not a substantial Gypsie population in America (I don't know about Europe). Yes, I found out they still exist when I heard about a reality show on Gypsies. But, I'm guessing they didn't have enough strength in numbers to bring awareness to the word. Now think of the word in Huckleberry Finn (or is it Tom Sawyer?) which you can't even say when reading the book in the classroom. I actually remember being asked to read a passage out loud in school and I froze at the word. I don't recall if I decided to say N-word or just skip it entirely, but it was very uncomfortable. We have a much higher number of African Americans in this country and they fought (rightfully so) long and hard to get any rights. To get those rights they had to change public perceptions, which included effectively banning that word from being said by anyone who is not African American. The word has power in a way that 'jipped' does not. Jipped could be just as hurtful to a Gypsie, I suppose, but the country as a whole doesn't realize this. We don't have enough Gypsies to call attention to the word.

For these reasons, I would never want to say the banned African American word. I am aware of it. Everyone is aware of it. No white person who isn't a racist wants to say it. But, I simply look at jipped differently. Now, if an actual Gypsie asked me not to say it, I would refrain, but I am not going to remove it from my lexicon in general. Nor would I be likely to refrain from saying it in front of someone who has no Gypsie ties. That's just the way I think about it. Not that I am likely to use the word on here again. I'd probably be more likely to say 'cheated' anyway. But if it slips out, I won't feel ashamed of myself for using something that is accepted as a good word by probably 99.9% of the American population. If the Gypsies raise awareness of the word, however, I would be willing to change both my opinion and my behavior. They could ban the word, but they are the only ones who I believe have the right to do so.

On a related topic, I am still trying to figure out how I feel about the Washington Red Skins. I don't follow sports, or the news, but it was on the news recently when my hubby was watching it. I can claim a bit of a dog in this fight as I do have some Indian ancestry. Not enough to look Indian, but just enough to have high cheekbones from it. My grandpa looked pretty Indian, however. And I'm guessing the Red Skins are based on a tribe other than mine--the Cherokees. Anyway, I am really torn on this one. Red Skins directly refers to race by using the word skin. So that's a problem in my mind. But what really gets me is the image they use--a reddened Indian face. The news pointed out that here in GA, when the hooplah came up about the Braves, the team was able to keep the name by changing the image from a red face to a tomahock (sp?). To me, that's acceptable. Yes, I grew up probably around 5 miles from where the Cherokee Trail of Tears began (right on the GA/TN border). I know GA and the rest of the US has a terrible history with Indians just like it had with African Americans. In a way, that complicates the issue, but in another way, I kind of like that a GA team is recognizing the Indian ties that once existed here. I don't know as much about the Red Skins in Washington, but I presume they must have had a significant Indian population in their history to inspire the team name as well. Any thoughts on this within the world of sports, or just in relation to Washington in general?

Quote: Originally Posted by kawaiimeows /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  From my experience that isn't hard to believe at all. I've encountered so many people lately who appropriate offensive words either out of innocent not knowing because they were raised around it, or just out of plain old hate/intolerance. Its definitely what you learn from it and how you adjust that is important IMO :]

"lame" is actually another one that is so common in our slang but actually is used to describe disabled body parts. i try to keep it out of my jargon but i think it slips in more than i'd like.
But I think that part of the point I was trying make was that there don't have to be 2 extremes--complete innocence v/s hate/intolerance. I fully believe there are many degrees in between. There's using the word carelessly but closer to hate if you know about the word but just don't care if you offend people. Then there's where I would place the word jipped. Originally, I was innocent about the word. Now I know the origins, but for the reasons I just stated, saying jipped to me is somewhere in the middle but much, much closer to innocence when it is used by people who know the origin of it. I just can't look at things with such extremes. Guess that's just me. And for the record, I studied civil rights and discrimination law. I also did an internship at the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. I really do care about treating people equally. I just think being overly PC goes too far.

Since it was mentioned, I think I was originally confused by the word Jew. I came to understand it was used as a racial slur, but I didn't know it would always be considered a bad term to use. Like, where the wife said it to the husband, his reaction surprised me, because I'm sure he knew his wife loved him and she didn't mean anything by it. I will say, I do not know the full origins of how Jew as opposed to Jewish became bad, but still, if used by someone who loves you and is not insulting you, I just don't get the power there.

I know I'm in the minority and I don't see anyone here who agrees with me. Again, I don't mean to offend anyone. I just take banning words (since it is a form of censorship, even if it is imposed by society or the self instead of the government) very seriously. I will say this, when I was in middle or high school, I called my mom a word I'm not sure I'm allowed to say here. I called her that part of the female anatomy which is also a cat. She got offended. She told me what the word meant. I'm not sure I knew about the sexually derogatory meaning or not, but I thought the word had a second meaning--being a wimp, a wuss, etc. That was what I meant. I was encouraging her to stand up for herself. I still think of the term as meaning wimpy, but I try not to use it because someone might take me the wrong way. It may sound silly, but I hated having that word taken away from me as it was my preferred method of calling someone a weakling. Oh, and I think the word dork has some connection with the male anatomy. I seem to recall an English professor saying that when someone said the word in class. That's part of what I mean too--sooooo many words with meanings/origins people don't know about.

Quote: Originally Posted by quene8106 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  yup i cringe everytime i hear someone call a native american an indian and i'm a cherokee. i totally forgot monday was a holiday b/c that's how much i care about christopher columbus, haha.
I didn't know you had Cherokee in you! I'm sad because I know I have Cherokee heritage. My grandpa told me about it many, many times and he was not a man who would lie. But, I can't trace it. So I don't feel comfortable claiming my heritage since I can't prove it and I don't look it either. Also, I've never heard the word Indian was bad. I'm not going to take offense to it, however. I find it ok in my mind, as long as people with closer ties to tribes don't make a big deal out of it.

ETA: Now that I think about it, I seem to recall this coming up before. Maybe you said something about the writing under your name being Cherokee? Or did I dream that? Anyway, again, I always love it when I meet someone with Cherokee heritage. But I often fear bringing it up as I look so white I'm afraid they won't believe me.

Quote: Originally Posted by jkfinl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm Irish, and I do feel a tinge of sadness when people make the generalization that Irish people are drinkers and drunks and terms like Irish twins, etc, etc.
I'm more Irish than Cherokee or anything else, but I don't worry about insults to the Irish from a personal perspective, if that makes sense. I wouldn't want to hurt someone with these stereotypes myself, but hearing them said by others doesn't hurt me. That being said, my big bad button is that I am southern. So southern stereotypes can bother me. Plus, I've always hated my last name of Hicks as it is a derogatory term for country folk. But being southern in general bothered me growing up, especially when I felt I *did* fit a stereotype. The one that hit me hard was the perception southerners are slow--slow thinking, slow talking, lazy, etc. But I recently learned something that helped me get over that a bit. If you've heard of the Myers Briggs personality test, the first thing it measures is if you are introverted or extroverted. I'm extremely introverted--always have been and always will be. Scientists have recently learned that when extroverts process information, it takes a physically shorter path through the brain. But with introverts, it takes a longer path and makes a loop. So, I am not slow because I am a southerner; I am slow because that is my unique personality. What this means is you have to get my attention before talking to me. Then, you have to wait longer than you do with others for me to formulate a response. Drives my husband nuts! But at least he is coming to accept it. Oh, and I'm quite likely to think of something in relation to a conversation held a day or two back suddenly and seemingly out of the blue. I guess my unconscious mind was working on it all along without me realzing it.

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Completely wrong. @jkfinl has it right. "Gypped" and "jipped" come from the same place: "Those damned gypsies swindled me!" It's a stereotype, and a hurtful one at that. The fact that the spelling changed doesn't matter. They are still derogatory terms even if you aren't aware of it -- and I'm speaking as someone born and raised in the US. It still means being swindled and shortchanged, and it is still rooted in the word "gypsy." That's what is so insidious about this stuff: it becomes so commonplace that people aren't even aware where something comes from. And if someone continues to use the term after being asked nicely to stop because someone feels literal pain when it is used, I will assume that the word-user is being deliberately hurtful. The sting of the word has *not* been lost. That's a point that seems to be missed here.
I think what some of us are telling you though, Meaganola, is that your assumption is wrong. We simply disagree on the matter. No harm is intended, truly. As I said, I won't purposely use the word on here, but I also don't feel a need to apologize for it if it slips out. That said, as much as I've discussed it, I probably won't use it anymore as I am now highly aware of it. 

Oh, and she may have already responded, but what I think the original poster was saying was different from how you interpreted it. She wasn't saying the origin of the word was different. If gypped came from Europe and was used as a slur, then it still has the *origin* from a slur. However, it lost the *connection* to the slur when it was brought here. To me, it is a meaningful distinction. To you, it is not. But I wonder if the people who first used the word in the US were aware it was a slur in any way. I ask because of the spelling change. If it was imported from Europe to mean a slur, I don't think the spelling would have changed. I could be wrong, of course, but I think I've heard of words transitioning from either one language to another or one location to another and the spelling changed due to a misunderstanding surrounding the word.

Sorry for being so wordy guys. But seriously, this is a subject I have spent many hours studying and thinking about. My dream job for the longest time was to get a paid position with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and to work my way up to being an Administrative Law Judge. The internship I did was with a judge and I got to write a few opinions for her. I loved it! But, even before the shutdown the EEOC had lost 1/3 of the workforce during the Bush years. I thought Obama would increase staffing, but it appears I was wrong. That said, discussions such as this one have led me to believe I might not be PC enough to work there. I do firmly, firmly believe that the best person for the job should get the job without reference to race and other matters (including sexual orientation--though this may be covered by the states but is not protected by the federal government yet). I just think at some point you must draw a line. That's what has come to form my opinions. I am now taking human resource courses online and looking to get into that. I'd probably want to work more behind the scenes like compensation analysis, benefits, etc. In the workplace, it is appropriate to be more sensitive and cautious, but in day to day dealings, I am a little more lax with my words.

Quote: Originally Posted by Heather Hicks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I hate to be coming to this late, but I just saw it as I had tons and tons of posts in the BB thread to catch up on. I just wanted to point out that many words we use and don't know about probably have odd beginnings. In some cases, this will include non-PC beginnings such as racial slurs. Things evolve. The English language is so rich and complex that if we stopped using any words that offended someone based on a history dating back hundreds of years, I bet we would lose a lot of good words. (Sorry, wish I had some examples, but I don't. I will say that the stereotype on blonde women actually originated as a stereotype against blonde men. Not a word, but still in this category of things being offensive and shifting over time. Blonde women still get stereotyped but no one links blonde hair on men to anything anymore).
While this may be true for some, I know I make a conscious effort NOT to use language like that (just based on a lot of the examples that were used here, since you didn't give any further examples i'm going to assume they're the same ones).

Just because people do it a lot doesn't mean its ok, just because people do it a lot doesn't mean the cultural context has been erased, which I think is what kyuu and meaganola's point has been this whole time. I'm of the firm belief that it's not up to me, as a white person, to decide what racial slurs I think are ok to appropriate, so I don't do it.

But seriously, if you had an example of some "good" words we would lose due to this notion, I would love to hear.

Quote: Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's great to be someone in a position where you don't have to worry about being called an offensive name, but as someone in that position, it's incredibly irresponsible and arrogant to write off other people's criticisms about how they experience discrimination or to determine if that experience counts.

I honestly don't think pretty much anyone is in a position where they never have to worry about being called something they find offensive. Yes, Caucasians are in position that almost all of them don't have to worry about racial slurs specifically. Even the word cracker isn't offensive to me as a white person. Not that I've heard it used outside of the Jeffersons on tv either. But, everyone has their own traits that bother them. Some people hate their body for no reason and get an eating disorder. Just using the wrong word to them--skinny, chubby, etc.--could be offensive to them but taken in stride by others. I am fat. In fact, I'm obese. I used to be more sensitive about it than I am today. Today I just worry about my health. But if someone went out of their way to offend me with it, I would probably be offended simply because they were trying to do that. When a word is used innocently, no offense should be taken. Likewise, when a word is said to someone who is not in the group the word offends, I don't understand why everyone gets so upset about that. I know you clearly disagree, and passionately so. I'm not trying to make you mad, but just to explain my thinking. That's all.

I tried to post this yesterday but my phone died while typing. I'm surprised that everyone thinks changing the spelling to "gypped" instead of "jipped" means it lost its derogatory meaning. It seems to me like that reinforces the meaning! Like stated above, the word refers to "Egypt". If we changed the spelling to "gyp" just like the spelling of Egypt then doesn't that show that people knew exactly what they meant when they changed the spelling?

On a related topic, I am still trying to figure out how I feel about the Washington Red Skins. I don't follow sports, or the news, but it was on the news recently when my hubby was watching it. I can claim a bit of a dog in this fight as I do have some Indian ancestry. Not enough to look Indian, but just enough to have high cheekbones from it. My grandpa looked pretty Indian, however. And I'm guessing the Red Skins are based on a tribe other than mine--the Cherokees. Anyway, I am really torn on this one. Red Skins directly refers to race by using the word skin. So that's a problem in my mind. But what really gets me is the image they use--a reddened Indian face. The news pointed out that here in GA, when the hooplah came up about the Braves, the team was able to keep the name by changing the image from a red face to a tomahock (sp?). To me, that's acceptable. Yes, I grew up probably around 5 miles from where the Cherokee Trail of Tears began (right on the GA/TN border). I know GA and the rest of the US has a terrible history with Indians just like it had with African Americans. In a way, that complicates the issue, but in another way, I kind of like that a GA team is recognizing the Indian ties that once existed here. I don't know as much about the Red Skins in Washington, but I presume they must have had a significant Indian population in their history to inspire the team name as well. Any thoughts on this within the world of sports, or just in relation to Washington in general?

I personally have always felt that sports team names such as this are in poor taste. For me this article pretty much sums up how aburd the notion is.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/most-offensive-team-names,34170/

Also redskin has history of being considered offensive, and i think to keep it the way it is because a ~*sports team~* claimed it is ridiculous.

Anyway, I used to think the exact opposite of how I think now. I used to be ultra PC. I still believe in respecting others, but at the same time I think you have to balance it with people not being overly sensitive. Words take a certain course through time. Personally, even though I was an English major and I love to write, the first time I ever heard jipped (sp?) being linked to Gypsies was on here. I wonder if it became ok to say as there is not a substantial Gypsie population in America (I don't know about Europe). Yes, I found out they still exist when I heard about a reality show on Gypsies. But, I'm guessing they didn't have enough strength in numbers to bring awareness to the word. Now think of the word in Huckleberry Finn (or is it Tom Sawyer?) which you can't even say when reading the book in the classroom. I actually remember being asked to read a passage out loud in school and I froze at the word. I don't recall if I decided to say N-word or just skip it entirely, but it was very uncomfortable. We have a much higher number of African Americans in this country and they fought (rightfully so) long and hard to get any rights. To get those rights they had to change public perceptions, which included effectively banning that word from being said by anyone who is not African American. The word has power in a way that 'jipped' does not. Jipped could be just as hurtful to a Gypsie, I suppose, but the country as a whole doesn't realize this. We don't have enough Gypsies  (Kyuu: I think you mean Romani people?) to call attention to the word.

For these reasons, I would never want to say the banned African American word. I am aware of it. Everyone is aware of it. No white person who isn't a racist wants to say it. But, I simply look at jipped differently. Now, if an actual Gypsie asked me not to say it, I would refrain, but I am not going to remove it from my lexicon in general. Nor would I be likely to refrain from saying it in front of someone who has no Gypsie ties. That's just the way I think about it. Not that I am likely to use the word on here again. I'd probably be more likely to say 'cheated' anyway. But if it slips out, I won't feel ashamed of myself for using something that is accepted as a good word by probably 99.9% of the American population. If the Gypsies raise awareness of the word, however, I would be willing to change both my opinion and my behavior. They could ban the word, but they are the only ones who I believe have the right to do so.

Hi Heather! Wow, what a long post. Er there's no way I can respond to all of this, so I'll just try to as much as I can!

First, I think this is a very humanist response, and I agree with you on many levels. Frequently there's an overreaction on the part of all the parties involved, which is why being "PC" is overrated. On some level, being "PC" shames people who have a lack of education of experience about certain topics.

I think that's something anyone in such a position can ask for, compassion. You don't have to feel bad if you mess up, but I think it's frustrating when an issue is brought up and then people brush it aside immediately. There's a phrase I try to avoid using when I get very angry (because I like it XDD!) which is, "~Is my oppression inconveniencing you?~" -- which, I mostly think is funny, but self-victimisation is no a good thing don't do it. But the idea behind the sentiment is that it's always easier not to think about someone else's problems, or how they are struggling rather than take the high road.

This isn't a call for pity since pity does no one any good -- even self-pity. Compassion isn't about pity, but rather acknowledging: There is a problem here, and there's not much I can do to help. But what I can do, I will because I want to be part of the solution and not part of the precipitate problem... because I would want someone to do the same for me.

Anyway, the bolded parts present an interesting intellectual exercise. You say there's not enough Romani people to raise awareness for the offensiveness of the term, yet, if they happen to raise awareness, you'd be willing to reconsider? Hm, I'd just like to hear your thoughts on what you propose, to solve that issue.

As for things being offensive/not offensive, you make a good point that no one should speak for a specific group. I remember this one blogger I followed posted some art depicting Native American culture (and like -- not bad art. Nicely done, thoughtful art), and a commenter asked her to not do it since it was cultural reappropriation, and the blogger responded that she was Native American and she thought it was fantastic, especially when it was done in a respectful way, that there were individuals willing to do it because she personally thought there weren't enough NA artists or people left to preserve the culture. No harm, no foul because the commenter didn't know she was Native American, but it got really dicey when they replied, "Some of your people get very upset about reappropration" and the blogger responded -- Some of my people? I am my people! So the lesson learned is people should stop being presumptuous about what other people might offensive if it doesn't affect them.

On the actual term Gypsy, here's a blogger I found through a quick Google search who is of Romani heritage and some of her comments: http://gypsyappropriations.blogspot.com/

Quote: Originally Posted by kawaiimeows /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  While this may be true for some, I know I make a conscious effort NOT to use language like that (just based on a lot of the examples that were used here, since you didn't give any further examples i'm going to assume they're the same ones).

Just because people do it a lot doesn't mean its ok, just because people do it a lot doesn't mean the cultural context has been erased, which I think is what kyuu and meaganola's point has been this whole time. I'm of the firm belief that it's not up to me, as a white person, to decide what racial slurs I think are ok to appropriate, so I don't do it.
I see your point. I do. I just disagree and hold a different value system. As for the examples, I was an English major. I took German (couldn't learn it--too hard) and I learned some Olde English. Every once in a while I would come across a word in Olde English that reminded me of German, and though it doesn't seem like it, English is a Germanic language. The one word I recall today (15 years out of college) is geschlafen (German) and schlepen (Olde English)--not 100% sure of spellings, but they sound alike. Both mean sleep/to sleep. Knowing how language evolves over time, I am putting forth the hypothesis that there are many words we don't know about which have evolved and have odd meanings that are not at all associated with the words today. I can't give you examples, because I am specifically saying it is a hypothesis, albeit an educated one which comes directly from experience I gained over a decade ago.

I do see what you mean that since we are white, we should give more deference to others. I agree. I just think there has to be some line somewhere. And just so you know, I didn't think you were Caucasian. I thought you had Japanese ancestry based on your name--cute meows. I studied Japanese and got to go there for 2 weeks in high school. Loved it. Wish I could learn more. I did get into trouble due to cultural differences while there. I got called 'hen' which means strange. Of course, the older ladies that said it didn't know I knew some Japanese or their culture would probably have discouraged them from saying it even to a foreigner on vacation. It happened when I dropped something at their feet and had to pick it up. I didn't know enough Japanese to explain to them why I had bent down so close to them. They turned around but I'm pretty sure they didn't see me pick the item up off the ground. I kept pointing and gesturing trying to apologize for invading their personal space, but all they could conclude was that I was strange. A few other odd things happened in Japan due to my very limited language skills. The funniest thing was getting chased out of a restaurant with a guy clucking at me because I forgot 'tori' means bird, a living thing, while 'tori niku' turns bird into meat to eat, aka chicken. I didn't take offense. I was just frustrated I forgot proper Japanese at the time.

Another reason I disagree is probably because I am finishing up my first fictional novel and looking into writing a second one. People sometimes get caught up in assuming that what an author writes says something about them as a person. I'm not saying people don't understand fiction as fantasy versus reality. No one is going to accuse Steven King of being a psychotic murderer, for example, but they might make assumptions about other authors. For example, I saw a mini documentary on Poe recently. I too assumed he was probably a rather morose person, but the video suggested he was pretty happy most of the time. As a critic, he had given a contemporary author a lukewarm review--not even a bad review--but it ticked the guy off so much he started spreading rumors about Poe which made him seem different from how he really was. This, coupled with some of the stories he wrote, led to us perceiving him incorrectly. He also started writing detective stories before pretty much anyone else--taking the horror he had written and shifting it to the beginning of the story so the focus then became finding out who had created the horror. Even as an English major, I just learned that about him. Sad. And I would hope that if I write about a murderer, racist, all around mean person, etc. no one would make assumptions about me. Tangentially related to the topic, I know, but I've thought of this a lot too. I worry how people will look out me if I manage to find a publisher.

Back