Dupe of Urban Decay Naked Palette

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by angels41105 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

awesome. ELF is keeping up with the game. It would be hard to tear myself away from my beloved UD but ELF is making a convincing argument
If you had the money to choose between UD and ELF go with UD because the quality is consistent while with ELF it's not. The lighter colors are just too chalky for my personal preference. Plus that particular netural book is no longer available and each of ELF's neutral books are not the similar to previous books.

Originally Posted by satojoko /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have the NYX Nude On Nude pallete and I have tried the ELF palette in Walgreens, as well as UD Naked palette. The Walgreens I went to had a tester. Can't say as the quality of the ELF shadows even comes close, really, especially after trying the Naked palette itself. The NYX palette is similar, but not the same, specifically in regards to the consistency/texture of the shadows. I use it fairly often, but sometimes find myself disappointed with it. Then again, I only paid $20 for it and it's got tonnes of product in it :) The lip glosses in there are also absolutely horrific! They make my lips numb because of the ingredients, so although the colors of them are great, I can't wear any of them. Holy toxicity, Batman...   The case really is great, very sturdy, and doesn't open on it's own when traveling with it. Very well made as far as the packaging goes.
Which neutral book by ELF did you try? Because the new ones that are now out are not the same as the Spring/Summer (white cover) that came out a few months ago.

Like Zadi said the lighter colors are blah.  I could barely swatch 3 of them because no product would get on my finger

Well, I've read the entire thread, phew!

A few things:

I've always been a makeup junkie.  My sister bought me a traincase for $30 many years ago.. with all the makeup in it, and I've beaten the poor thing to death.  I had moved away from makeup for a while, as I've had some health problems (thyroid and adrenal, so the fatigue was horrific), and I had tossed all of my high end stuff.  Believe me it broke my heart too. :sigh: Anyway..a friend pointed me to ELF at that point in time and I went on a $30 buying binge.  I replaced all of my eye shadows and eyeliners for that. I was thrilled.  Until I used them.  I wasn't really doing makeup anyway, so, I just used them occasionally.  When I found UD, (and was feeling better), I fell in love.  All the ELF hit the trash. 

ELF, at least as of a few years ago, didn't compare.  Not even if you built it up.  One of the major problems I had with ELF was that when you bought a shadow that was one color in the tin, when you put it on, it had a different undertone. 

One of the points made in this thread was that the ELF shadows look completely different in natural light than not.  Most makeup does.  However, if they're not a dupe for UD's Naked indoors, but they are outdoors, than if you buy the kit, you're only going to get the dupe effect whenever you're outside.  Personally, I try not to go out there.  I like my A/C. 

If you sub a few MAC colors (which I quite like, really), if you only want three shades to wear, then you've got three colors @ $18 a piece?  That pretty much costs the same as the palette. 

I have to say, I love the Naked palette.  The eyeshadows .. the consistency is wonderful.  And, I particularly love the combinations, and the ability to create so many neutral looks.  This is really the first palette I've seen/used/been interested enough to buy, and I actually use every single color in it depending on what type of mood I'm in.  I just think there's no other comparison.

That being said, I'd like to see a set of matte colors to rival the UD frosts, shimmers,and glitters.  I'd like to have that option too.  Now if UD would only make a Naked Matte palette. I'd be in heaven.  I guess I can go see what Dior and Chanel have, though.

In truth, I won't ever buy ELF again, unless it significantly goes up in quality.  I can't buy as much Dior, or Chanel, or MAC, or UD, but, when I can afford it, I value it very highly.  Of course, I also don't toss my eyeshadows at 6 months.  I couldn't afford makeup if I did that.

Oh, and one final thought.  The UD brush that comes with the palette is one of the best brushes I own.  And I have ELF brushes, Chanel brushes (ouch pricey) and some other stuff.  I'm actually looking for a brand of brush that won't break my bank so I can get a lot of them in all the different styles. 

Originally Posted by Naivasna /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, I've read the entire thread, phew!

Wow that must have taken forever haha! 

Did anyone else see the NYX prices on Hautelook?  :X  Does that still a bit high to anyone else?  Or is it just me

Originally Posted by Bonnie Krupa /img/forum/go_quote.gifDid anyone else see the NYX prices on Hautelook?  :X  Does that still a bit high to anyone else?  Or is it just me
Yes, it seems to be too high. Should be lower, guess that's why nothing has sold out yet.

Not really liking the bundles either.  They should have had a bunch of single things for 1.20 to make up for the anniversary sale

hi ladies! i got my naked palette about 2 months ago, and i now can definitely see what people meant when they said that elf's neutral eye edt. beauty book doesn't quite compare to the naked palette. the colors are similar, yes, but the quality of the eyeshadows just doesn't cut it.

BUT.. i noticed something! i was playing around with my elf bright eye edt. beauty book the other day, and think i found a good and inexpensive dupe for UD's "sin".

i used this eyeshadow with my UDPP and it stayed all thru the day. the texture is soft and blendable.

i noticed the BE BB is a lot better in quality, compared to the NE BB.

sorry for the crappy pictures, my camera is.. well.. not good >.<

hope this helps!

Originally Posted by Naivasna /img/forum/go_quote.gif  Now if UD would only make a Naked Matte palette. I'd be in heaven.  I guess I can go see what Dior and Chanel have, though.
I'd probably die of happiness. Can we make a petition and send it to UD? :x

Originally Posted by Bonnie Krupa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

how are UD's matte shadows?  most companies have a problem with those it seems lol

i'm not a pro but i LOVE the two matte shades (buck & naked) that are in the naked palette!

Just order from the shopping channels' websites if you don't like watching them. Or find what you want on the website, write down the item number, and call your order in. That's what I have always done. It's usually faster that way and you don't have to sit for hours watching their marketing BS, as well.

Regarding the ELF palette I saw and tried, it may have been an older one, I'm not sure. I believe the cover was white, but it wasn't that long ago. Not sure, but wasn't aware there was one then and another one after which were similar. The only ELF products I ever usually buy, and that's only been recent, has been at Target. And once at Winners in Canada, although the same palettes that go for $4 in the US at Walgreens are going for $12 in Canada. Total rip-off. I bought one - blues, plums and silvers - a while back and it's not that bad, but nothing to get excited over either. Haven't used it much as of yet, to be quite honest, because the quality is nothing spectacular. Then again, I never noticed Taget having any of those palettes, just Walgreens.

12? O____________O that is RIDICULOUS!

i got the palette bonnie posted at target for only like $3 and change, cause it was on clearance! it was the beginning of this year, i think around march!

hehe I actually kinda like the beauty books...wel most of the colors anyways.  I think it's mainly because I have an obsession with palettes haha.

Originally Posted by Bonnie Krupa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

hehe I actually kinda like the beauty books...wel most of the colors anyways.  I think it's mainly because I have an obsession with palettes haha.

i think the BB posted has really pretty colors and a good quality (better than other elf shadows i own) but... nothing compares to my naked palette. hahaha. it's my baby!

I just can't bring myself to buy that!! haha  I'm really not a neutral person D:  I want but I don't think I want it enough

Back