GLOSSYBOX August 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just cancelled. I have three months left in my sub then I think I'll try out different boxes or take a break.

I enrolled in thierry mugler addicts and love what I have gotten so far.

I've never liked birchbox too much because I'm mostly interested in makeup and hate dinky samples. I've also tried beauty box five, which was ok. From what I've seen ipsy doesn't seem to have very high quality products.

Any suggestions for makeup oriented boxes? I think I'll check out sample society.
Have you tried Starlooks at all? I got last months box and really liked it! It was only like $15 or something like that and full size product! I skipped this month because of product overload, but I will resub next month or so.

Um someone needs to tell Glossybox that spoilers are supposed to be exciting! If I wasn't in a 12 month sub these wouldn;t get me to sign up. Most excited about nails inc, and I don't even like nail polish lol.
I agree! I just subbed for the month because I wanted the highlighter and the promo Eyeko mascara. This spoiler was just a reminder to cancel. Lol 

Be sure to do it by the 15th or they'll get you for next month too!

Glossybox is quickly becoming as cheaply curated as Ipsy is.

Did someone buy out Glossybox USA? I remember when we were waiting for our premiere boxes in 2012, it was said that the Glossybox UK had lots of low- end items in it.. Then our boxes arrived, and they were SO nice!!!

Now, I'd say the items are worth half what they used to be. 

( I absolutely do love the serum we got last month though).

Does anyone remember the silver tube of MARVIS toothpaste we got in a box as one of our products in the early months?  I was LOLing at it, but I used it and liked it. ( It 

wasn't sealed up like our toothpastes are and I worried about that, though).

Add me to the list of people who thinks Juice Beauty products STINK- like rotten apples... r like really dirty feet.
I <3 Marvis. :wub:   It's an Italian brand, and I've been using it for years and never noticed a safety seal (the full size is sealed in a cardboard box.) I think it's safe (and wonderful) to use.

To be honest, I think Glossybox has been in a bit of financial trouble over the last year or so. One of their co-founders left the company late last year, and I believe they had to pull out of a bunch of countries because they weren't profitable. I don't know how that relates to their profitability in the U.S. market, though. I haven't really noticed a degradation in product quality since I've been subscribed per se, but every once in a while they include what seems like leftovers or brands that don't really fit with their image and it makes me wonder. It seems like one month I get a fantastic box (hi Bergdorf Goodman and Net-A-Porter) and the next month it's not so great. Sometimes the brands are super high end like La Prairie and Sisely and Beauty Blender, and then the next month you'll get Be a Bombshell and Aqua Spa (which can be purchased at Walmart) or leftover Ciate colors from a few seasons back that weren't selling. Then the next month, it's Chantecaille and Sulwhasoo...I'm not sure what the problem is.

http://venturevillage.eu/glossybox

I <3 Marvis. :wub:   It's an Italian brand, and I've been using it for years and never noticed a safety seal (the full size is sealed in a cardboard box.) I think it's safe (and wonderful) to use.

To be honest, I think Glossybox has been in a bit of financial trouble over the last year or so. One of their co-founders left the company late last year, and I believe they had to pull out of a bunch of countries because they weren't profitable. I don't know how that relates to their profitability in the U.S. market, though. I haven't really noticed a degradation in product quality since I've been subscribed per se, but every once in a while they include what seems like leftovers or brands that don't really fit with their image and it makes me wonder. It seems like one month I get a fantastic box (hi Bergdorf Goodman and Net-A-Porter) and the next month it's not so great. Sometimes the brands are super high end like La Prairie and Sisely and Beauty Blender, and then the next month you'll get Be a Bombshell and Aqua Spa (which can be purchased at Walmart) or leftover Ciate colors from a few seasons back that weren't selling. Then the next month, it's Chantecaille and Sulwhasoo...I'm not sure what the problem is.

http://venturevillage.eu/glossybox
I agree with this.  

I have the living social sub and I will probably not renew at all.  It is frustrating to see a $21 sub often sending out the same items as the $10 subs.  

Does anyone understand how point redemption will work with their new policy?  Meaning at the end of my 12 month can I use my points to get an extra month or do I have to basically get a repeat box because I would have to cancel before the 15th at which point they are usually still selling that month's box . . . 

I third the rottenness of Juice Beauty products.  I've never liked a single one.  And their lip gloss is nasty smelling AND tasting.
Funny. The lip gloss is the only thing by them I do like. To me, the bitterness is like that of an orange rind, so I can deal with that. But I too find the skin care products stinky and not good enough of a quality to overcome that stinkiness.

Ack! So very annoyed with Glossybox right now. I got a notification from PayPal saying $21 was taking out by Beauty Trends (aka Glossybox) which is fine EXCEPT my monthly subscription payment option is under a Visa card not my paypal account. I bought a gift box last month with my paypal account but that was obviously meant to be a one time thing for the gift box. Why can't they get the payments right? My monthly subscription details very clearly say under payment options VISA card not paypal. It's not a big deal money wise but it's not okay that they are taking payment out somewhere that I did not authorize. So help me if they also take it out of the correct form of payment too. I've already written them to see what they say...don't know if I'm going to dispute it via paypal since I've never really had this happen before.

Ack! So very annoyed with Glossybox right now. I got a notification from PayPal saying $21 was taking out by Beauty Trends (aka Glossybox) which is fine EXCEPT my monthly subscription payment option is under a Visa card not my paypal account. I bought a gift box last month with my paypal account but that was obviously meant to be a one time thing for the gift box. Why can't they get the payments right? My monthly subscription details very clearly say under payment options VISA card not paypal. It's not a big deal money wise but it's not okay that they are taking payment out somewhere that I did not authorize. So help me if they also take it out of the correct form of payment too. I've already written them to see what they say...don't know if I'm going to dispute it via paypal since I've never really had this happen before.
This has happened every month but i have been too lazy to call to fix it. 

Well, funny thing here...I had just canceled my subscription when a week later they came out with the Eyeko mascara deal.  So, I opened a new sub under a different email.  Today I went to log into the new sub to cancel...before the 15th and it is gone!  I checked my credit card and they refunded my money.  Oh well, I really didn't want 2 August boxes, but just thought that was strange.  Guess they don't want to give out free mascara if they don't have to!

i disputed with them via paypal in the past, won and they still sent me the box. suckers, lol 

Went ahead and canceled my Glossybox subscription after seeing the spoilers... XD 
I did too. I can remember, when they first started, Glossybox was probably the most interesting and had more full sized items show up in various boxes than any other main line sampling subscription box. I really loved it.

Now, not so much... It was voted off my island solely because of the new cancellation policy. I decided to cancel exactly when they said members could cancel.

Oh, and regarding the Marvis toothpaste I was fondly remembering- I liked it and was so happy to get an item from a European regular market, not a specialty item. 

I still find Glossybox to be the most interesting subscrition. The tend to send out a larger sample size and 2 or 3 things I will like but most things as least make me a little curious.

I did too. I can remember, when they first started, Glossybox was probably the most interesting and had more full sized items show up in various boxes than any other main line sampling subscription box. I really loved it.

Now, not so much... It was voted off my island solely because of the new cancellation policy. I decided to cancel exactly when they said members could cancel.

Oh, and regarding the Marvis toothpaste I was fondly remembering- I liked it and was so happy to get an item from a European regular market, not a specialty item. 
I probably would have stuck around with them a few more months just to see what other items they would send out in addition to the spoilers, but the new cancellation policy really ruined it for me. Ah well, it was fun while it lasted Glossybox!

I probably would have stuck around with them a few more months just to see what other items they would send out in addition to the spoilers, but the new cancellation policy really ruined it for me. Ah well, it was fun while it lasted Glossybox!
Yeah, it is keeping me from signing up in the first place. I liked to get them every now and then, when they were putting out a special box, but with this new policy I'm not going to bother following what they're doing any more.

I got the July box. Wasn't impressed. Canceled but still was charged for an August box which I understand. But then they put up the eyeko deal !!! I love that eyeko mascara more than any mascara on the planet. I want a free one so bad...but if I sign back up I'll have to use a new email right? And then I'll get a second August box? That isn't a free eyeko after all I guess. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. Damn. I WANT that eyeko.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the July box. Wasn't impressed. Canceled but still was charged for an August box which I understand. But then they put up the eyeko deal !!! I love that eyeko mascara more than any mascara on the planet. I want a free one so bad...but if I sign back up I'll have to use a new email right? And then I'll get a second August box? That isn't a free eyeko after all I guess. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. Damn. I WANT that eyeko.
I know!  I did the same thing!  I did try to sign up with a different email, but maybe it was too similar to my main email account because they canceled the account and refunded my money!  I may try again though, not sure.

Ok...so I went back and logged into my original account and went through the steps to resub...it did let me put in the MAGIC code for the free mascara.  I decided to hold off until later in the month to try to get the September box instead of another August box.  According to Ebates, the code expires Sept. 1.  On Ebates you get $2.75 when you subscribe.  I think you can do it every moth, but I have never tried.  Hope that helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't end up getting another box, I'd look on the swap thread or my subscription addiction swap page, I bet you could trade something for it

So I canceled my glossybox account right on the 15th of the month or whatever they said the deadline was, but then I really liked the July box and wanted extras of the malin+goetz, Skin Inc and glamglow so I opened a new account and got a second box. Of course, when I opened the new account, it was the very end of July, but I canceled the next day and it said my last box would be August.

I followed someone in the July thread's tip and went to Paypal and put a stop on Glossybox's automatic payment charge and today I got an email that they weren't able to bill me for August. Paypal is a beautiful thing.

Can all subs be payed through PayPal? I am frustrated with Love With Food who somehow charged a card I thought I cancelled a year ago and want to do something different paying for subs in the future.

Back