Grossed Out!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by parisnicole1989 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I totally agree!! Everytime I go in there looking for something no one can help me! They either have no clue what I'm talking about, the item I want is out of stock, or they recommend something that is not even close to what I was asking for in the first place. They never fail asking if I want to sign up for two "free" issues and then be charged for the next ones unless I happen to remember to cancel. Plus the girls who work at Ulta are usually VERY snobby and stuck up, which doesn't make sense seeing as how they seem to know little to nothing about makeup.
This is why I don't shop at ULTA, like ever. The one by my parents house isn't too bad, but maybe that's because the time I went there I knew exactly what I wanted and didn't need help. I hate the one closest to me though, the women there are such witches. They act like it's so hard just to tell you where x item is. They're too busy talking crap about people to be bothered, I guess.

I don't feel I'm missing out on anything though, since I get higher end stuff at Sephora (plus freebies) and if I want something drug-store.. I'll go to a drug store! (or Walmart or grocery stores).

Yuck! Anytime I see either the seal broken or smudges on a tube of lipstick, I put the product down and walk away. I'm this close from buying strictly online when it comes to drugstore products. 

I called and spoke to a manager at our Ulta this morning.  She was properly appalled at the situation and said that all NYX lipglosses and eye liners would be pulled and thrown away immediately.  She also said that there will be a person assigned to "patrol" that area of the store because she said that it has been a huge problem since they opened.  She said that they have had several complaints about the NYX section.  I don't know if she was just placating me, but at least it's something.  I also sent off and email to NYX this morning explaining that until they put some sort of tamper proof packaging/stickers/plastic on their products, I will not be purchasing them and I would be advising others to do the same.  I understand that people will still open packaging, but if something is in place, at least others will be able to tell that it's been used and not unknowingly purchase a product that has touched someone's face.  Their customers safety should really be more important to them.  Hopefully, they won't just brush me off.

Wow! I was in Ulta a few weeks back, looking for NYX Pumpkin Pie. There was only one left and no safety seal. I opened the lid, and you could clearly see where people had swatched it and dipped product out of it. I put it back, and picked up an Essence gel liner, again, with no seal. I opened that lid, too, just to check it, and again, it had obviously been messed with. I didn't say anything, then (though, I definitely should have! I guess I was just shy), but the next time I'm in the store, I will! I just figured that our store had some lousy customers...it never occurred to me that it could be a wider problem.

One tip: Many grocery stores sell the same make up products as drug stores. However, they may be packaged differently. They may come in packaging that has to be opened completely before the product can be used. This helps with things like lipstick.

The downside is that products may cost more. But honestly, I'd rather pay more for a product that is clean than get a product that may be tampered with.

Originally Posted by Wida /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I called and spoke to a manager at our Ulta this morning.  She was properly appalled at the situation and said that all NYX lipglosses and eye liners would be pulled and thrown away immediately.  She also said that there will be a person assigned to "patrol" that area of the store because she said that it has been a huge problem since they opened.  She said that they have had several complaints about the NYX section.  I don't know if she was just placating me, but at least it's something.  I also sent off and email to NYX this morning explaining that until they put some sort of tamper proof packaging/stickers/plastic on their products, I will not be purchasing them and I would be advising others to do the same.  I understand that people will still open packaging, but if something is in place, at least others will be able to tell that it's been used and not unknowingly purchase a product that has touched someone's face.  Their customers safety should really be more important to them.  Hopefully, they won't just brush me off.
I think a lot of us NYX users should do the same and email them about sealing their products.

Originally Posted by 19ten20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think a lot of us NYX users should do the same and email them about sealing their products.
Yeah, that is actually a great idea.

If they follow through with that, do you think their prices would increase? I'm for it either way, since it I don't think it would be a significant raise. I try to only buy NYX at this local beauty supply place where they keep the display very close to the register, with very clear "DO NOT TEST" signs. I've even just taken products intended for purchase and asked directly if it was okay to check it before I buy it. Most places are pretty cool about it, thankfully. ULTA definitely isn't my favorite place to go tor drugstore makeup.

Wow, people doesn't cease to amaze me on how gross they can be sometimes, I'm so glad you spoke with a manager, I would've too!! I went to target this weekend and the Pixi stand has some testers, but other products that were clearly not testers were all messed up, and you could tell people had messed with them, I didn't even bother checking out any products cuz I knew they might be contaminated. What she did is not only gross, but dangerous, what if she had some sort of infection? she'll pass it to the poor girl that will buy this product.

I'm sure that NYX will say that they don't do any kind of packaging to keep costs down, but I would pay more to have a safe product.  Other cosmetics companies have tamper evident packaging and don't charge more than NYX so I don't see that it will be a huge increase.  Of course, that's just my opinion.  I really hope that they do implement something - especially if enough people complain.  The email address that I used this morning was: [email protected].  That was the email address that they had listed on their website for feedback/complaints. 

Originally Posted by Wida /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Actually NYX products are sealed with a plastic wrap BUT it's easy to remove the top without disturbing the plastic wrap. Not everything is wrapped though so I now try to check to make sure the product I'm buying is new and not used.

The lip glosses that the girl was trying on had absolutely no packaging or plastic whatsoever.  The manager that I spoke with confirmed that they don't have any plastic on them and that they have had a huge problem with people just putting them on since it's so accessible (she did say that other brands lipsticks aren't wrapped either and they have problems with those too).  I think I have the biggest issue with the gloss because you generally can't tell if they've been tested like you can an eyeliner or a lipstick. 

I am still in shock that somebody would go into a store and just randomly test out products on their face and then put the item back.  Seriously, what is wrong with people?  I really wonder how many lips those gloss applicators have touched...

It's tacky and that's how some people are. They just don't see what's wrong and for whatever reason, feel entitled or whatever by the excuse of not having testers. Gross..apparently people never heard of Googling swatches or great return policies.

That's true, a bunch of companies have absolutely useless seals lol. 

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Actually NYX products are sealed with a plastic wrap BUT it's easy to remove the top without disturbing the plastic wrap. Not everything is wrapped though so I now try to check to make sure the product I'm buying is new and not used.
I never see that at Sephora, but I always see that in drugstores--you always see like, one or two makeup products where the boxes have been ripped open, and the product has obviously been tested and put back. But it's one thing to know an item is damage, and another to not even be able to tell whether or not the lip gloss you bought was opened.

There are plenty of NYX products that do not have plastic wrap. I would say the majority do not. I take the caps off if they aren't sealed to make sure no one has messed with it, but using it is just beyond gross. Some people are brats who have no concern for others.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That reminds me why I don't own any NYX or some of Milan's lipglosses either. I know some Revlon's packaging is a flimsy black tab sticker. I need to create a guide of drugstore packaging so I can pick whether to purchase from in-store or online. 

That is terrible! I work for Ulta and she should have at least taken the products off the display. They would be considered damaged. Many times if business is slow I go through the displays and remove the products that have been opened (lipsticks mostly, they come sealed) and mark them as damaged. People seem to think that because the prestige side of the store all have testers then it's okay to walk over to drugstore items and use those too. As embarrassing as it is for me to walk over to customers and say "Ma'am that isn't a tester" it has to be done. They also seem to get very offended like they can't believe you won't let try out a gloss before purchasing. Just FYI you can always return the item if you didn't like it.

Omg, that's so weirdd! I don't even like using the testers cause I have no idea who's lips or eyes have been used on those products

before I would use mine! I always make sure that before I buy any product, it doesn't look used. You usually can tell.

That's so annoying that they wouldn't just take away the products that were used and throw them away.

That's why I order online from ULTA, even the NYX lip sticks comes sealed. But seriously this is disgusting and selfish, do they even have common sense?

Back