Grossed Out!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know which shocked me more: the fact that there are people so gross out there, or the fact that the sales associate was so indifferent about the whole thing. What is wrong with people?!!!!

You did the right thing by contacting the manager. I would feel responsible to witness something like this and not do anything about it. It's even worse than shop-lifting, because the poor person who will eventually buy the product has no idea that it has already been used and may even have a bad reaction to the product. Ewwwww, honestly, I am truly appaled. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

This is the reason why I always pick items in the middle, because when people try out an item they usually either put it in the very front or in the very back so it isn't as obvious.

Same thing happened to me last weekend when I went to a brand new Ulta. I went specifically for NYX and went straight to the NYX section, only to be grossed out with all the opened blushes and eye shadows, when the eye shadows already had testers. I had to come home and order online instead. This is the only reason why I hate buying drugstore makeup! And it's always the color that I want that is the last one left and it's been clearly opened and used! Gross!

That's gross! Hopefully doing that she catches herpes on her lips. I usually only buy makeup that's sealed.

I only buy sealed and I have for a long time. It just always grossed me out at the thought of someone using it before me. I am glad you notified them.

I've always just pulled any product from the back. I hate going to the drugstore and finding the lipsticks have been opened and tried. I wish drugstores would just have testers for some of their products, especially foundations. I can't believe how many foundations I've found that have been opened and tried.

I can assure you that security seals are not expensive. They go on everything my company manufactures. 

I used to work behind a cosmetics counter years ago, and what I liked about the set up was that testers were right on the counter and the cosmetics were behind under lock & key. I always thought that was a brilliant idea, however that was a department store setup. I've been to Sephora and the ones right around me are heavily staffed. I've never had a problem. However I don't think there's an Ulta store in my area.

If I may chime in, what used to bother me when it came to make-up were the customers who would use their cosmetics almost near to the end and then return it stating they didn't like the color, texture etc. That would always frustrate me as I know that it doesn't take using a whole bottle to figure that out. I know one customer who would always "break" her compact as it neared the end to exchange for a new one. At the time this company had a very liberal return/exchange policy. Customers will do the strangest things.

Originally Posted by Marnie40ish /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If I may chime in, what used to bother me when it came to make-up were the customers who would use their cosmetics almost near to the end and then return it stating they didn't like the color, texture etc. That would always frustrate me as I know that it doesn't take using a whole bottle to figure that out. I know one customer who would always "break" her compact as it neared the end to exchange for a new one. At the time this company had a very liberal return/exchange policy. Customers will do the strangest things.
Ugh, that's just tacky. There will always be a minority that shamelessly freeload off of a company's generous return/exchange policy that eventually end up ruining it for the majority...

Also, come to think of it, before my self-imposed Ulta ban after a less than pleasant experience of being subscribed to InStyle magazine without my consent and then having their CS give me the runaround and not even truly apologise, I bought a few L'Oreal Infallible eyeshadows and one of them had the little white stopper on top while the other didn't. I didn't think much of it at the time and I was already home by the time I opened them up to swatch, but now I'm starting to wonder if I've been using an eyeshadow that someone else put their grubby fingers in before I purchased it...

Originally Posted by norther /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ugh, that's just tacky. There will always be a minority that shamelessly freeload off of a company's generous return/exchange policy that eventually end up ruining it for the majority...

Also, come to think of it, before my self-imposed Ulta ban after a less than pleasant experience of being subscribed to InStyle magazine without my consent and then having their CS give me the runaround and not even truly apologise, I bought a few L'Oreal Infallible eyeshadows and one of them had the little white stopper on top while the other didn't. I didn't think much of it at the time and I was already home by the time I opened them up to swatch, but now I'm starting to wonder if I've been using an eyeshadow that someone else put their grubby fingers in before I purchased it...
You most likely have been using a tampered e/s. And Ulta also pulled that InStyle crap with my grandmother. To top it off, we were charged multiple times for InStyle!

not to hate bc i love Ulta, but it's the same as with the stores in my area. Their salesperson are all in the HE section so no one is every in the drugstore brand area, and i've seen people swatch and open products. I once bought a concealer from Ulta (NYX) and when I got to my car, it looked  like it had been opened (the bottle cap area was covered with product). I took it inside the store and the sales girl told me it was common for cosmetics to shift around during shipping so that's probably why it was like that....which...I didn't believe because I've never seen a new twisty top product with product leaking onto the outside of the top. Esp bc I've seen people use products there. 

They really need testers. Would solve some of these hygiene problems lol...

Testers would be great, but people need to be respectful! Not having testers doesn't excuse the disgusting and unlawful approach some people have to opening products and sampling them.

I would be completely disgusted and horrified (the the 'customer' and by the sales associate's behavior).

As disgusting, tacky, insensitive, rude, thing to do, it unfortunately doesn't surprise me. I definitely agree about contacting the store manager, but you might also want to send a letter/email to Ulta's corporate office, NYX, and the store manager/owner as well. I'd document the date, time, and description of the sales associate along with a detailed description of the incident. It sounds like fault lies with both Ulta and NYX. NYX for not providing some sort of security seal (or two) to help prevent exactly this and let NYX know that they are likely loosing a significant amount of product to this type of theft and potentially be corrected very inexpensively., Ulta's corporate and local store with the same info as the NYX email, but also sugest that they ask their associates to keep a better eye on that side of the store, if they have cameras to see if they can focus one on that area, and even post a bunch of signs saying that there is NO tester for these items please do NOT open any product (and if they can, list some sort of consequence like they do on the shoplifter signs (and if there is a way to prove that it is truly illegal and those who do so can be persicuted. I'd also let everyone know that you consider all these used products to be a true health issue which potentially could cause serious hard to an unsuspecting consumer who unwittingly purchase what she thought we brand new clean products. But what if that consumer has health issues? And then that person becomes seriously ill. Well it would be both Ulta and NYX fault and who knows if a lawsuit could follow. All because NYX doesn' both to put secure safety seal on ALL their products. And if you are a blogger as well you may also want to let them know that you are a blogger and plan to write a post regarding the incident and how the companies haven't truly come up with an overall solution as you've talked to many others who have had very very similar experiences.

I find it interesting that some are quick to ppoint blame on the companies. The fault first and foremost lies with the customer thinking they can open packages and products right on the floor. Some of these products do come sealed and that doesn't stop them. Let's take some accountability, people.

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find it interesting that some are quick to ppoint blame on the companies. The fault first and foremost lies with the customer thinking they can open packages and products right on the floor. Some of these products do come sealed and that doesn't stop them. Let's take some accountability, people.
The thing is, you can try to tell a douchebag customer to cut it out, but if they don't care to begin with, they probably won't start caring anytime soon.

It doesn't matter who's ultimately to blame. If somebody does get sick or injured from an item they didn't know was tested, they'll point the finger at the store or the company and possibly sue. It's how people operate, you know? So these stores and companies would do well to practice some CYA and come up with better seals or offer testers. I've definitely seen drug store brands wrapped in the kind of shrink wrap that takes two hours and a chainsaw to remove. Those items you KNOW haven't been tested.

Funny side note: A few years ago I went to pick up pomade at an Ulta. It was a discontinued product but they still sold it there. I was excited when I saw they had six on the shelf...until I opened them to find ALL SIX had been tested. I forgot how classy Ulta is until now...and I was really excited we were getting a flagship store in Philly...

Originally Posted by 19ten20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You most likely have been using a tampered e/s. And Ulta also pulled that InStyle crap with my grandmother. To top it off, we were charged multiple times for InStyle!
I figured as much. I guess I'm throwing both out because I can't remember which one didn't have the topper in it. I got another copy of InStyle AFTER it was supposedly canceled. I haven't seen any charges pop up on my card but it may have been a time where my parents treated me that they got them, so I've told them to keep an eye out too. It's just absolutely ridiculous that they think they can get away with it and the most infuriating part is that they must do so enough to make it worth doing even through all the complaints they do get.

Originally Posted by Marnie40ish /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I can assure you that security seals are not expensive. They go on everything my company manufactures. 

I used to work behind a cosmetics counter years ago, and what I liked about the set up was that testers were right on the counter and the cosmetics were behind under lock & key. I always thought that was a brilliant idea, however that was a department store setup. I've been to Sephora and the ones right around me are heavily staffed. I've never had a problem. However I don't think there's an Ulta store in my area.

I had a customer come in and return a skincare set she had used up entirely stating the kit was a 30 day trail and the return policy says you have 60 days to return for a full refund. Ummm.. yea lady but you can't use up a product all the way and say you didn't like it!! Ugh. I know I'm one of those people that always says well its not like the money is coming out of your check what do you care.

(for those times when cashiers give dirty looks just because you want to return something) 

But in a situation like that it's frustrating how people try to take advantage of return policies like that. Jus sayin..

Originally Posted by Laura Marie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had a customer come in and return a skincare set she had used up entirely stating the kit was a 30 day trail and the return policy says you have 60 days to return for a full refund. Ummm.. yea lady but you can't use up a product all the way and say you didn't like it!! Ugh. I know I'm one of those people that always says well its not like the money is coming out of your check what do you care.

(for those times when cashiers give dirty looks just because you want to return something) 

But in a situation like that it's frustrating how people try to take advantage of return policies like that. Jus sayin..
I've heard people do that in restaurants too - eat a whole meal and send it back asking for their money back because they didn't like it. Sometimes it amazes me that we have survived this long as a species.

I wonder if any employees ended up trash picking that day that the eyeliners were all dumped.  Used eyeliner is yuck, I definitely wouldn't want to pay retail and get someone's used goods, but the stuff that was dumped most likely had some good eyeliners in it that were new, too, and employees could just do what makeup artists do, sanitize and sharpen.  I think it was a really good move for Ulta to dump the eyeliners and shame on that girl, she was not only stealing from one person/store by trying eyeliner, she caused an entire shelf of eyeliners to be dumped which is a huge monetary deal.  Maybe that is a good thing to point out if someone is doing that and another person/employee asks them to stop - "I don't know if you realize it or not, but we have to throw away the entire batch of products that you have been sampling, not just the one in your hand, because we don't know which products you've been using.  The prices are going to rise because of that eventually, so I thought I'd give you a heads up on why cosmetic prices are getting higher and higher in some cases".  I'm pretty non-confrontational, so I don't know that I could actually do it, but it's a thought.  I don't like telling adults what to do, they usually get defensive.  It's a quirk of mine, I hate conflict.  I do tell friends and relatives, though.  Maybe now that we've been discussing it I will say something next time.

Back