Grossed Out!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by alphaloria /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've heard people do that in restaurants too - eat a whole meal and send it back asking for their money back because they didn't like it. Sometimes it amazes me that we have survived this long as a species.
I know someone that does that, but she's a horrible person to start with so doing something like that is not shocking compared to all the horrible things she does lol!

My ULTA is the same way with the NYX cosmetics.. I always open it myself and properly inspect the nyx products before i purchase them now.  I made the mistake once of buying a bronzer w/o checking it out first and got it home and someone had ran their finger through it
icon_evil.gif

Originally Posted by nkjm /img/forum/go_quote.gif

not to hate bc i love Ulta, but it's the same as with the stores in my area. Their salesperson are all in the HE section so no one is every in the drugstore brand area, and i've seen people swatch and open products. I once bought a concealer from Ulta (NYX) and when I got to my car, it looked  like it had been opened (the bottle cap area was covered with product). I took it inside the store and the sales girl told me it was common for cosmetics to shift around during shipping so that's probably why it was like that....which...I didn't believe because I've never seen a new twisty top product with product leaking onto the outside of the top. Esp bc I've seen people use products there. 

They really need testers. Would solve some of these hygiene problems lol...
Some Ulta stores do have testers for their drug store products. I think all of the stores should. Where I live there are more and more drugstores providing testers for the makeup. Target does this and even has a makeup artist on Weekends.

I shop a lot so I have seen everything from people using gloss with the wand to using mascara straight from the wand, recapping and putting the tester back...I'm always internally like yuck! The stupidest thing to me which usually happens at mac where they try to cut the tips off the mascaras and glosses--is when i see their sales associates show a customer a product by swatching it on their unsanitized hand, then asking them if they'd like to try it on. YUCK! They should know better. I've also seen them just grab shadows, not wiping or anything and apply it on people. I've even complained to the manager before to come back after walking the mall and see the same product half empty not replaced back on their display. Sephora and ulta gross me out even more than MAC. It ticks me off bad because I like to go and try on different things before I buy but now unless they open it brand new in front of me, I will not try it on.

It's been years since I've been in a MAC store, but when it came to the lipsticks they would always dip them in alcohol and wipe them  off so they could be tried on. I wonder if they do that anymore? Anyone know?

Yeah they do. THANK GOD they do. I'm watch them like a hawk to make sure they sanitize it.

Originally Posted by Marnie40ish /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's been years since I've been in a MAC store, but when it came to the lipsticks they would always dip them in alcohol and wipe them  off so they could be tried on. I wonder if they do that anymore? Anyone know?

Originally Posted by Laura Marie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That is terrible! I work for Ulta and she should have at least taken the products off the display. They would be considered damaged. Many times if business is slow I go through the displays and remove the products that have been opened (lipsticks mostly, they come sealed) and mark them as damaged. People seem to think that because the prestige side of the store all have testers then it's okay to walk over to drugstore items and use those too. As embarrassing as it is for me to walk over to customers and say "Ma'am that isn't a tester" it has to be done. They also seem to get very offended like they can't believe you won't let try out a gloss before purchasing. Just FYI you can always return the item if you didn't like it.
Ugh yes... I work at Bath & Body Works and people are just constantly opening products to test... like the little PocketBac hand sanitizers, they'll open the lid and pull off the paper seal and just chuck it on the floor with a salesperson standing like 3 feet away. No shame at all! Or people will just pop open the twist up hand soap pumps... like seriously?

I think its terrible that some companies don't seal their products however I do feel that the manager/sales associate should have explained to her that swatching products and placing them back on the shelf was unsanitary and not allowed and asked her to leave. I don't think Ulta will be happy if someone comes in and try to sue them because they have caught something like herpes or pink eye due to random customers swatching makeup and placing it back on the shelf.

Back