Ipsy/MyGlam: October 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like the mascara as well for performance, but I haven't worn it for long enough to see if it's viable for smudgy, oily eyes.  It has a great appearance, though.  I am indeed impressed.

The lip bomb is really great except that it's so pigmented and seems to bunch up on the want that application can get a little intimidating, but it does last a really long time!

I just received my second glambag, does anyone want to trade lip bombs? I got #9 and I want 4 or maybe even 2.

It has never been opened.

Hello ladies!! I have lip bomb 4 and I'm looking to trade for 2 
smile.gif

So I wore a OCC LipTar on my top lip and the Mirenesse on the bottom and they are really very similar! Even in smell, and wear. I used a lip brush for both, because the wand definitely puts too much.

Originally Posted by quene8106 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

how can i tell if i'm getting the benefit or not? i am currently subscribed and if i don't get it in my november bag i will be pissed. i have bee fighting temptation to get this at ulta, lol. i caved in and bought bad gal plum last week 

I know the main part of this (why send this out and give the impression that this is a bonus *only* for new subscribers?  Answer:  It's not.  It's just a poorly-worded/handled email) has been addressed, but i wanted to throw this out there:  I received a similar email in October -- but it listed everything that was in the October bag (which was why I decided to not subscribe at that time:  The surprise was ruined, and the surprise factor is actually one of the main things I'm looking forward to in this bag!).  When I received the email, I thought it was a special bag for new subscribers, and only the new subscribers would be getting the eyeliner since that was the featured item in the subject line of the email.  

I'm thinking they realized that revealing the entire bag (as they did in October) is a bad move and that this is a new marketing strategy:  Highlight one "big" item in the bag to new subscribers, and have that highlighted item be a spoiler for existing subscribers, and that item may or may not be an either/or item depending on what they're doing that month.

(And since I'm a new subscriber who joined before that mascara email went out, I'm not sure whether I'll be getting it -- but if I do, it's going up for swap *immediately*, so there will be at least one out there up for grabs.)

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I know the main part of this (why send this out and give the impression that this is a bonus *only* for new subscribers?  Answer:  It's not.  It's just a poorly-worded/handled email) has been addressed, but i wanted to throw this out there:  I received a similar email in October -- but it listed everything that was in the October bag (which was why I decided to not subscribe at that time:  The surprise was ruined, and the surprise factor is actually one of the main things I'm looking forward to in this bag!).  When I received the email, I thought it was a special bag for new subscribers, and only the new subscribers would be getting the eyeliner since that was the featured item in the subject line of the email.  

I'm thinking they realized that revealing the entire bag (as they did in October) is a bad move and that this is a new marketing strategy:  Highlight one "big" item in the bag to new subscribers, and have that highlighted item be a spoiler for existing subscribers, and that item may or may not be an either/or item depending on what they're doing that month.

(And since I'm a new subscriber who joined before that mascara email went out, I'm not sure whether I'll be getting it -- but if I do, it's going up for swap *immediately*, so there will be at least one out there up for grabs.)
Actually, if I'm not wrong, I think they did reveal just the mascara last month, and then shortly thereafter revealed the entire contents.  But I don't think you were in the majority, and therefore they saw people didn't subscribe after the surprise was ruined and changed their strategy.  I rejoined because of seeing the contents, and I'm guessing there are many others like each of us!  *Shrug*

It's too bad it ruined the surprise for you, but it's actually what convinced me to get a second bag to give away for the holidays |D A $10 bag with $50+ worth of stuff? Worth it IMO even if I didn't get the joy of finding out what was in the bag the first time by myself. I know I'm not the only one, so they probably made up some business by the people who didn't subscribe because the surprise ruined to people who were on the fence and like knowing and the people who picked up a second sub.

I guess it just depends on what you care about in a beauty/subscription bag. Personally I'm more about the value / usability of what's in the bag rather than the surprise element, since you really only get to stay surprised for 2-3 weeks at most and I always look at spoilers on the website anyway. I'd rather have the items than get the surprise.  I don't necessarily think it's a bad strategy to reveal what's in the bags, but it might need to be more targeted and screened... for example, like an announcement on their FB that links to the contents on their website rather than shooting out a blast email to non-subscribers with who've opened an account on the site.

Quote: But I don't think you were in the majority, and therefore they saw people didn't subscribe after the surprise was ruined and changed their strategy

"I'm saying I didn't subscribe once the surprise was ruined.  You seem to be saying that they saw that people did exactly what I did, which does not seem to me to mean that I am not in the majority.  Anyway.  This email -- revealing the entire contents of the October bag, and this was the only email I received as a potential subscriber, so I did not receive any email mentioning just the mascara (that was the spoiler for the upcoming November bag) -- is what I received on October 4th trying to convince me to sign up:"

*Chuckle*  No - I intended my "don't" to be for my whole sentence rather than just what came before the comma.  I don't think you can assume you were in the majority - I expect at least as many actually did join because of it as didn't - and therefore I don't believe they changed their strategy because they saw people weren't subscribing.  Like if I said, "I don't think Mary was baking cookies, and therefore bought eggs."  Not saying I believe she bought eggs because she wasn't baking cookies.  Saying I don't believe that baking cookies was her reason for buying eggs.  =)  Sorry I was confusing!

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's too bad it ruined the surprise for you, but it's actually what convinced me to get a second bag to give away for the holidays |D A $10 bag with $50+ worth of stuff? Worth it IMO even if I didn't get the joy of finding out what was in the bag the first time by myself. I know I'm not the only one, so they probably made up some business by the people who didn't subscribe because the surprise ruined to people who were on the fence and like knowing and the people who picked up a second sub.

I guess it just depends on what you care about in a beauty/subscription bag. Personally I'm more about the value / usability of what's in the bag rather than the surprise element, since you really only get to stay surprised for 2-3 weeks at most and I always look at spoilers on the website anyway. I'd rather have the items than get the surprise.  I don't necessarily think it's a bad strategy to reveal what's in the bags, but it might need to be more targeted and screened... for example, like an announcement on their FB that links to the contents on their website rather than shooting out a blast email to non-subscribers with who've opened an account on the site.
Seeing the contents also convinced me to rejoin.  And seeing the little sneak peak of the Benefit They're Real! will keep me another month.  I'm thinking of hanging in there thru ~Feb.  I'm guessing they'll get some "Christmas" subs and make January pretty good.

Frankly, I still don't trust ipsy.  I joined in January last year and liked Jan/Feb (if I recall) and then...IMO, it got bad.  I bailed pretty quick and watched from the sidelines.  While they're bags improved, they still weren't amazing enough for me to want to rejoin until the October bag.  I actually was turned off by the multiple Circus nail polish for instance.

But, I did miss their silly little bags of all things.  (Go. Figure.)  And last month was worth my $10 (and then some!) even if I'm only meh on the eyeliner (it was great for my Lucille Ball as Charlie Chaplin Halloween costume and I'll prob use it still).

For $10, they've been providing a lot of value. 

Trust might not be the right word... I know I'll get my bag for instance.

But the products in the past made me a tad leery of their business model: the multiple Guthy Renker products early on, the nail stickers and lashes, the multiple Circus polishes, the sea minerals packets, the Maribella website (sp?) seemed a little shady, and the brushes seemed like a cop out while they improved things.  

It does seem that they're building better connections with some bigger brands (a la Benefit and Living Proof) and finding some unique quality global brands.  Mirenesse was a brand I had never heard of but I'm pleased with the product from the latest bag.  

I guess I still have a bad taste and their last 3 months do not warrant that.  I will say: they got me to resub!  And that's a huge accomplishment.  

I guess some of their products are a lower standard than I expect considering that darn original first bag.  It really set an expectation for me that I haven't totally let go of.  It was so amazing and since then they had some real doozies...but I do think they're working hard and there are huge improvements made in the last year.  I don't see that in some of the other sub companies.  Other subs seem a little complacent and riding on their coat tails...

I was out of town since the 16th, so when I returned today to my BB, Ipsy, Julep, and Beauty Army boxes it was like Christmas!

I received Lip Bomb no. 4 and LOVE it!  It's great for my coloring, and am thrilled just for that and the mascara.  Everything else I could take or leave.  Which, leads to my question....

I've noticed most high-end cosmetics and skin care products are made in the US, Western Europe, Japan, and Korea, which all have been traditional beauty powerhouses.  However, the Bombshell eyeliner is 1) a brand I've never heard of (which is fine, just unusual since I'm pretty into beauty products) and 2) an Arkansas-based company that makes their makeup in China.  Is that the norm?  I never really thought about cosmetics being outsourced in that manner. 

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So what would it take for you to not be leery of them?
I know this wasn't directed at me, but for me consistency would be the most important thing. I would say Ipsy has been doing the best job in terms of improvement over any other company, but will it last? I sure hope so, but we'll just have to wait and see if it keeps going long term. I'm rooting for them. To their credit, they've been really good about taking consumer feedback and using it to get better.

Sample Society has been doing the best job in terms of consistency in my view. I mean, I haven't been impressed with every single item they've sent, but I haven't been disappointed either.

Originally Posted by mellee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Actually, if I'm not wrong, I think they did reveal just the mascara last month, and then shortly thereafter revealed the entire contents.  But I don't think you were in the majority, and therefore they saw people didn't subscribe after the surprise was ruined and changed their strategy.  I rejoined because of seeing the contents, and I'm guessing there are many others like each of us!  *Shrug*
I did, too. But I'm a mascara fiend.

Originally Posted by WanderlustinWA /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was out of town since the 16th, so when I returned today to my BB, Ipsy, Julep, and Beauty Army boxes it was like Christmas!

I received Lip Bomb no. 4 and LOVE it!  It's great for my coloring, and am thrilled just for that and the mascara.  Everything else I could take or leave.  Which, leads to my question....

I've noticed most high-end cosmetics and skin care products are made in the US, Western Europe, Japan, and Korea, which all have been traditional beauty powerhouses.  However, the Bombshell eyeliner is 1) a brand I've never heard of (which is fine, just unusual since I'm pretty into beauty products) and 2) an Arkansas-based company that makes their makeup in China.  Is that the norm?  I never really thought about cosmetics being outsourced in that manner. 
IDK if that is the norm ... as an Arkansan, I was excited to see another makeup company in the Little Rock area ... until I saw that they do not make their product here.  :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  That was kind of a bummer. 

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So what would it take for you to not be leery of them?
A little more time... I'm not sure I'd expect them to be as awesome as last month every time at $10 price point - but I'd like to see another 2-3 months of bags with a good assortment of different brands.  I guess I'm still a tad afraid of a possible bait and switch...

It stinks how first impressions take a looonnnngggggg time to overcome.

Back