L'Occitane Sampling Box!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI, My Habit consistently offers sales from a company called... Panier des Sens, or something like that, that is very similar to L'Occitane and Le Couvent. The rose is especially nice. 

I also like Crabtree & Evelyn for hand creams. They have a two or three set treatment in all the fragrances that has this kind of scrub you use, then put the cream on after, that leaves your hands feeling amazingly soft. 

FYI, My Habit consistently offers sales from a company called... Panier des Sens, or something like that, that is very similar to L'Occitane and Le Couvent. The rose is especially nice. 

I also like Crabtree & Evelyn for hand creams. They have a two or three set treatment in all the fragrances that has this kind of scrub you use, then put the cream on after, that leaves your hands feeling amazingly soft. 
The CT&E will be in my sample society box this month. Panier des Sens also sounds promising.   I am a hand cream addict so I will definitely remember to visit this topic again when I use a bunch.   You should see what I am getting for Xmas.  Oh my....   Yeah I can't try anything new for a while....  

@@tulippop Freaking Hot Mess! They really mucked up what should have been a great promo and way to excite customers about their products. I planned to give these to my girls at work, but this with this whole mess I'd hate to introduce any new customers to them. 

TulipPop, that story is mind-boggling.

I did get my money back, almost immediately, after I sicced Amazon on them. I had used AmazonPayments to pay, and asked for a reimbursement through them. Even though I never got an email canceling my order. Even though refunds "take 3-5 business days" (really? Never heard that from ANY other company I have dealt with).  L'Occitane is shady and I'm done with them. I sort of even want to throw out samples of their stuff I've gotten through other companies.

OTOH, the good news is that overall? Their hand cream isn't that great. I too bought this box (or tried to) for a friend who loves their hand cream. I delayed sending out her birthday gift waiting for this box to arrive and now her gift will be a day late thanks to this ridiculousness. But anyway... as someone who has to wash their hands CONSTANTLY and has very dry hands with eczema, I have tried nearly every hand cream on earth. Here are some recs:

Most effective overall, but stinky: Jack Black Industrial Strength Hand Healer

Incredibly soothing, but expensive: CV Skinlabs Restorative Skin Balm (bought this the same day I tried it in the goodebox breast cancer box and as you can see from my dissertation on hand cream, I am super picky)

Great for eczema but not that moisturizing: Lush Dream Cream 

Closest to L'Occitane but cheaper and smells slightly better: Burt's Bee's Shea Butter Hand Repair Cream

And even with all of that... I too usually wind up using samples of body butters for everyday hand moisturizing. I save this stuff for when my hands are hurting since they all have downsides and most of the effective ones smell terrible or don't have any scent (and I like scented hand stuff). Right now I'm using a shea terra body butter sample I also got from GoodeBox in Bourbon Vanilla that smells great and works well.   

Last edited by a moderator:
I, too, could do a dissertation on hand cream, but I will say if you have seriously dry, cracked hands, O Keefes Working Hands is fantastic. (As is good ol' Bag Balm)

Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion is my go-to, with Gold Bold Ultimate for my heels and elbows. I will add scented cremes over them. 

That Ayres cream we got a few bags ago was pretty nice, too.

I find L'Occitane to be slightly drying with regular usage, probably a lot of alcohol in the fragrance component. The BBW and VS lotion have the same effect on me, albeit those dry me out fairly quickly, whereas the L'O cremes don't start drying me out until I've worn them a few days.  I often wonder if they don't make them drying on purpose, so you keep using more. 

The Crabtree & Evelyn thing I mentioned upthread is their Hand Recovery and Hand Treatment. The Hand Recovery is a really gritty scrub you use dry for 20 seconds, (I pretend I am washing my hands, if that makes sense) then you rinse it off and use the Hand Therapy, It's pretty amazing.

It started off as Gardener's Hand Therapy, which is why I tried it initially,  but it's in almost all of their scents, now. I love it in Rosewater.

That's really interesting, JolieFleurs - I tried the O'Keefes foot cream and didn't love it. I know this is super-weird, but I think i have issues with creams that you have to scoop out of containers. And now I really want to try the C&E hand recovery. I often use random samples of exfoliators on my hands, but it never occurred to me to try them "dry" like that. Thanks for the idea!

I have never tried the foot cream, but I totally get not wanting to scoop. I don't let it stop me from using anything, but I get it, and I don't much like squeezing, either. I prefer a pump, overall, but I understand that each consistency has its own requirement.

The OKeefes is what all my farmboys and mechanics swear by, for Winter when their hands crack and bleed. My hands have never been that bad, but I've seen it close the cracks on my brother's hands over night. It's cheap, so maybe if you see it somewhere you could pick one up and transfer a small amount over to a baggie and snip a corner off to try it. 

Another scoop issue, but coconut oil is also a good long term hand lotion. It's more of the kind of thing you put in at night and let it sink in, rather than use it several times during the day, but I like it.

Ditto emu oil. The emu oil is lightening my age spots, too.  I have been smearing it along my eyelash line and it's definitely making my lashes longer, and darker. Took about a month to notice the difference. It has also shrunk this little skin tag thing I had just above my eyelashes on my left eye. Hella spendy, though.  And I have tried it on my scalp for my thinning hair, but haven't seen a change there at all.

Dang, it's a good thing they don't charge me by the word here, huh???

Lush Dream Cream is what my husband swears by and he has eczema bad. My oldest daughter (she's 3 years old) has eczema really bad too but I only use L'O's organic pure shea butter on her. It's very greasy and thick so I only apply it at bedtime but I swear it cures any skin ailments and is incredibly safe and gentle. But it's $40 for a smallish tin. Pricey but I haven't found anything that even comes close to comparability.

Lush Dream Cream is what my husband swears by and he has eczema bad. My oldest daughter (she's 3 years old) has eczema really bad too but I only use L'O's organic pure shea butter on her. It's very greasy and thick so I only apply it at bedtime but I swear it cures any skin ailments and is incredibly safe and gentle. But it's $40 for a smallish tin. Pricey but I haven't found anything that even comes close to comparability.
Have you tried The Honest Company's Healing Balm? It's pretty awesome. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Oh man, this mess. ): I feel for everyone who didn't get this box even when they had abided by the rules. If I'd known about the stacked coupon, I would've gone for it as well so I don't blame any of you for "taking advantage" of a glitch in the system.

TBH, I looked around and exactly what I suspected happened. Someone also posted the deal to SlickDeals and it ended up on the front page. Honestly -- and i'm not saying I agree with what L'occi has done -- but if it were maybe a few dozen or even a hundred people figuring out the glitch on their own, they probably would've honored it, but when something hits the front page of SD, especially when it's that cheap in a holiday season and looks "gift-y", I wouldn't be surprised if there were over 1000+ orders. So they'd be giving away somethign they were marketing for $15 at that price plus a $10 gift card plus the gift set. I'm sure after a certain point, when they hit saturation in orders, they probably just canceled all orders with the box regardless of if they used the stacked coupon or not.

Again, I'm not saying I agree with what they've done, but I think looking at it from a marketing perspective, I'm not entirely surprised. L'occi always seemed to me like they want to brand themselves as a ~luxury~ brand. Regardless of if they are or not, I think the brand is trying to position itself in a position where it seems exclusive and makes its users feel like they're using something high end. I'd say about 95%+ of the sales by "luxury" companies (YSL, Dior, Chanel, etc etc) when it comes to makeup in the US is not really to "high end" customers, but it's the appeal of exclusivity that drives the sale. So I think from a marketing position, maybe the CEO or director of sales at L'occi felt okay with making that decision, when most of the people (the SD people) who took advantage of that glitch probably aren't interested in the brand, are ONLY interested in a deal (which, for a luxury brand, are not a group of people you care about), and would never buy from the brand again or in the first place if they didn't see the deal. it does have the unfortunate side effect of maligning maybe 10-20% of the people who would be serious customers who they were trying to court.

So basically I guess you can thank the people at SD for messing things up *shrugs* I mean, they've done it before with Zoya when Zoya fucks up their codes. I've seriously seen some people say in the comments, guys btw, they would never use polish but they went ahead and placed a bunch of orders because it was a 'good deal' (like when you could add a color spoon and check out or it didn't need the $10 min to go through). But I guess the internet makes it really easy for people who want to abuse the system.

@TulipPop Wow that mess.

Again, not excusing crappy CS behaviour, but I'm wondering if the sales reps aren't allowed to take the boxes home until a certain amount of days, so it's in their interest to hide or not advertise them? I can't imagine corporate would condone that kind of behavior.

I think CS in stores varies widely. I went to a SiJCP to grab the 100pt UD lippie perk since it was out of stock, so they just gave it to me without having to purchase anything. But last year, I went in for a Givenchy lippie in a NYC Sephora (maybe it was the Union Sq one) and they just flat out told me no and I had buy something which really irritated me.

While at the same time, in NYC the Body Shops I've been to would match prices for B3G3s, etc. Like if you picked out  $21, 19, 18, 17, 15, 12 items, they would have you pay for the $21, 18, and 15 items whereas in my TBS at the local mall, they would make you pay for the $21, 19, 18 items :/

Anyway, what a terrible experience. I still think you should report it to them, or at least complain loudly on their facebook. And leave the mall you were at too.

Well, I got an email informing me that my order was canceled and that I could expect a refund in 3-5 days.

NB: Amazon refunded me two days ago.

Oh man, this mess. ): I feel for everyone who didn't get this box even when they had abided by the rules. If I'd known about the stacked coupon, I would've gone for it as well so I don't blame any of you for "taking advantage" of a glitch in the system.

TBH, I looked around and exactly what I suspected happened. Someone also posted the deal to SlickDeals and it ended up on the front page. Honestly -- and i'm not saying I agree with what L'occi has done -- but if it were maybe a few dozen or even a hundred people figuring out the glitch on their own, they probably would've honored it, but when something hits the front page of SD, especially when it's that cheap in a holiday season and looks "gift-y", I wouldn't be surprised if there were over 1000+ orders. So they'd be giving away somethign they were marketing for $15 at that price plus a $10 gift card plus the gift set. I'm sure after a certain point, when they hit saturation in orders, they probably just canceled all orders with the box regardless of if they used the stacked coupon or not.

Again, I'm not saying I agree with what they've done, but I think looking at it from a marketing perspective, I'm not entirely surprised. L'occi always seemed to me like they want to brand themselves as a ~luxury~ brand. Regardless of if they are or not, I think the brand is trying to position itself in a position where it seems exclusive and makes its users feel like they're using something high end. I'd say about 95%+ of the sales by "luxury" companies (YSL, Dior, Chanel, etc etc) when it comes to makeup in the US is not really to "high end" customers, but it's the appeal of exclusivity that drives the sale. So I think from a marketing position, maybe the CEO or director of sales at L'occi felt okay with making that decision, when most of the people (the SD people) who took advantage of that glitch probably aren't interested in the brand, are ONLY interested in a deal (which, for a luxury brand, are not a group of people you care about), and would never buy from the brand again or in the first place if they didn't see the deal. it does have the unfortunate side effect of maligning maybe 10-20% of the people who would be serious customers who they were trying to court.

So basically I guess you can thank the people at SD for messing things up *shrugs* I mean, they've done it before with Zoya when Zoya plucks up their codes. I've seriously seen some people say in the comments, guys btw, they would never use polish but they went ahead and placed a bunch of orders because it was a 'good deal' (like when you could add a color spoon and check out or it didn't need the $10 min to go through). But I guess the internet makes it really easy for people who want to abuse the system.
Oh slick deals....  Then it likely made it to all the deal sites and some have over a hundred thousand members.  Whoa...  But still, they could have handled it better for the people that didn't stack.

Ok now many may not agree with me, but I really do not like their hand creams,  This box actually served a purpose and proved to me that I should never buy any of their hand creams again,  Too much perfume, poor texture, and too thin.  I was wearing their sister companies (LCDM) honey hand cream all day.  My hands were plump and youthful looking,  Got home and put on L'occitanes after I washed my hands and my hands looked like dried out shriveled  leather.  Then my cat had an asthma attack from the smell and I got a headache.  A very poor quality product.... I would have wasted $15 if it wasn't for the other stuff.

By the way, did anyone get 3 foil samples with their box?  So that makes 5 foils total . Got 3 of the cream divine alone.  Plus I already have a bunch so I can make a nice sample jar full out of those.

I definitely think the hand cremes are too perfumey and I think it's the alcohol in the scent that makes them drying.

And yes, I agree that the deal was probably posted everywhere and they got far more response than they intended. Hopefully they learned a lesson on how NOT to handle that, though. 

I just found and read through the comments. I JUST now got my cancellation email. Of course, no refund yet. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm really sad because I decided to pass on some other Cyber Monday deals since I had already purchased this one. Really disappointed in this experience. I would have thought a brand that wants to brand themselves as high end would have better customer service. 

Back