People Who Say "You Don't Need Makeup"

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's like telling someone, "you don't need a Mercedes", or "you don't NEED that $500,000 house". Who's damn business is it?? Because it's makeup and people think of it as something small, they feel like it's small to us, therefore, their comment is not a big deal. Makeup is a big deal to me. Makeup is who I am. It's my hobby, stress-reliever... Makeup is my friend! lol I just thoroughly enjoy it and it's my right to do so. 

Yeah, it's annoying. I'm sure these people would be sooo complimentary if I didn't wear any. I just tell them I wouldn't feel comfortable and that I like makeup. Usually the same people that don't even know the most  basic techniques, such as using a brush, and not smearing on pressed powder with the same sponge every single application,  gross! One time this person just kept bugging me and I just told them that I'm on a professional level and I think I know what I'm doing.
wink.gif

I thought those kind of people were asking because they want to draw attention to the fact that

A. they're (supposedly) super secure in not wearing any

B. don't they look amazing without any?

C. they secretly feel super insecure about wearing makeup and so they want to put you down and make you feel bad.

I find it's usually people my own age that comment about that stuff. In my office the mostly comment on how many clothes I have. They're constantly asking if I've been shopping AGAIN. Gosh, you must have so many CLOTHES.

And just like the makeup - whose business is it of theirs? I happen to like bargains, and if I can afford to buy the things I do then maybe you should be quiet and keep your opinion to yourselves!

But of course you can't say that. You just have to smile and nod and secretly roll your eyes, LOL

People who say 'You Don't Need Makeup" have obviously never seen me without make up
wink.gif
I kid. I wear it out of personal preference. I am blessed and have good skin, so if I want to, can get away without wearing any make up, however, I choose to because I feel more 'polished' and like the way it looks. Whether you wear make up should be your own choice and not because someone else has told you to or not to.

LOL. It's ok. ( Scrooollll down ) I've felt like that before. Obviously they aren't "one of us kinds of peoples" which are fabulous might I add. I don't like being told with a sigh, "You don't need to wear makeup!" It's like ummm, YES I DO. I feel you. Don't worry on it. I know it was just a rant. Interesting post! They just don't get it. It's ok. I also agree with you, no matter how many people in this world say it's uneccessary, I believe that makeup it essential AND optional. And yes, sometimes I look at someone thinking, you would look sooo much better with some makeup. Just a lil!

way i see it is.. i might not NEED it to you... but i WANT  it and guess what i can have it so im takin my cake and eatin it!

mentioned above that you should be complemented not the make up.... i go against this logic, i wear make up to sell my skills as a wannabe MUA so when someone says my e/s looks lovely i dont think what about my eyes witch i think wow, thats pretty awesome to hear. 

Wtf Uh same here makeup is a must I wear LOTS of makeup my friends think  i look sexy lmao XD Anyways help me pick wha tiam going to wear for halloween and woah they have no buisness to say what you wear or put makeup on i always wear sexy reavealing clothes they say omg wtf why is your body showing and all i just tell them to go eff there selves lmao anways tell me which outfit is hawter in my thread youll get surprised when you see what i wear for clothing !

https://www.makeuptalk.com/forum/thread/112246/hot-or-not-need-to-decide-which-halloween-costume-i-should-wear

I've worn makeup for quite a number of years now. Mostly, I only get the 'why do you wear makeup, you don't need it' thing from family. I would go bare if I can, but I don't look so good without makeup. People always think I roll out of bed every morning looking the way I do when I go to work, but seriously, its because I take the time to wear makeup in the mornings. I'm more with the natural look for the past year or two so people always assume I look the way I do even without makeup.

Originally Posted by Minka /img/forum/go_quote.gif

People have said this to me before too and in similar scenarios, and I have a great story for this.

I work with this girl who rarely ever wears makeup, and she always talks about the other girls that do wear makeup. She would constantly talk about how she didn't NEED makeup and when she brought that up to me, I would say, "Well, no-one NEEDS makeup, just like no-one NEEDS a Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano but it's a helluva nice luxury isn't it?" and she said, "Well, I guess".

Fastforward a few months where we're all seated in a pub as a leaving party for a fellow co-worker and the same girl mentioned earlier in a buzzed slander brings up makeup yet again saying, "I don't know why some people wear makeup to work (note that all of the five of us seated around here are wearing at least SOME makeup), it's not like there's anyone to impress... I wear makeup outside of work, and I bet none of you could even believe how great I look in my own makeup... I mean i'm not always comfortable doing my own makeup, but you'd all drop your jaw if you saw me with makeup on. I'll wear makeup on Monday just to prove I can wear makeup."

Of course we're all looking at each other like, "WTF... allllllright".

Fast-forward to Monday and she comes in with her makeup on and looks a hot mess with literally so much fall-out underneath her eyes from her eyeshadow that from a distance I thought she had taken a sponge applicator and had wiped it in a circular fashion around her entire eyeball. Her powder was also way too orange and not applied evenly, so she had orange blotches all over her face.

She proceeded to tell us that she felt really "weird" and a little "insecure, man" wearing makeup to work. Our coworkers kept walking by and giving her strange looks. After looking at her face, I realized her eyes were really teary. Was she about to cry up a storm or did she gets some of that shimmery eyeshadow fallout from hell in her eyeballs? I guess I'll never know.

I was like, "Ok, why are wearing makeup if you feel uncomfortable wearing it? If you don't feel comfortable, just don't even bother" and her response was, "Well I said I would didn't I?" I told her, "Not to be rude, but none of us gave a shit to begin with. We don't care what you wear. You don't have to try so hard."

TLDR: I believe that some girls are this way because they feel too inadequate to wear makeup properly, and they're typically the kinds of girls that feel they're drawing too much attention to themselves by trying to dress themselves up. When they see other women wearing makeup, it just reminds them that they're lacking so they try to talk down the competition.

People speak out about what bothers them and affects their personal life. Your friend is jealous and is letting it affect her life.
Damn girl...preach! LOL! I completely agree with you
smile.gif

I love the "You don't need it" comments.  Those same people are the ones I get the "Are you sick" comments from when I don't.  I tell them that "No, I'm not sick; but shockingly, working 60 hours+ a week makes you look tired sans makeup."

I always get that too. I wear makeup to enhance whats already there and it makes me feel good to wear it and makeup makes me happy. Some people just don't understand I guess.

to me makeup is just another way of expressing yourself.  you can really cover up flaws like pimples or lines...it just looks like there is makeup over them.  As i've gotten older i wear less and less makeup, but it's still fun to play with.  I found the less foundation i wear the less breakouts i get and this goes for nearly every foundation or powder i've tried.

Psh! don't listen to them. Do what you want to do! 

I feel like a lot of people say that kind of stuff so they can portray this "natural/real" image of themselves. 

Make up can sometimes enhance your natural beauty, i.e. eye color enhancing eyeshadows. 

http://www.thebeautyfulblog.com

I think they are jealous that you look so good with makeup...Makeup is wonderful and people should wear it for themselves,not for others...JMHO

Makeup makes you more confident in how you look, Everyone has their own way in beauty some people like it natural looking no makeup as for others they like having makeup to cover up pimpels . Everyone has diffrent opinions I personally think you should wear makeup in order to look better . You shouldnt wear TOO much, you should wear the perfect amount when going to work you should have red lips on foundation , concealer, mascara you shouldnt have eye shadow on if you really want eye shadow on light colors instead of intense colors.

Hope this helped

***Thank-You*****

Originally Posted by Rotting Beauty /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Originally Posted by prettyglam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To top it all off, as I was walking into the office, my frenemy blurted out, "Dang girl why you wearing all that makeup?"LOL! I only had on tinted moisturizer, lashes, winged liner, and a nude lip

I don't get second glances at flippin' all if I leave the house without concealer and then friends try to say I don't need it. Poo.

I can totally relate to what you're saying here! There have also been times when certain people who shall remain nameless have told me that I don't need to wear any makeup. But I also feel like no guys ever look at me if I don't have makeup on my face, seriously. I guess it's possible that I might just worry too much about things like that, but really, I honestly believe that really well applied makeup improves my appearance a great deal.

And I also totally agree that wearing makeup to work makes you look more "put together." When I used to work as a receptionist I wore a full makeup application with concealer, foundation, powder, blush (it was subtle though mind you), eyeshadow (in natural colors) and mascara to work every day! (I think I just did some sheer balm on my lips though.) I would not have been caught dead without my makeup on! LOL!

So yes, I completely empathize and agree with all of you who wear makeup to work to look professional and put together. It absolutely does make a world of difference. Plus, the mailman used to flirt with me when he came to deliver bills and parcels. That's a definite bonus. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back