PopSugar Special Edition Fall 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'm in the very small minority here, but I do like the Special Edition box. I certainly like it more than the September Popsugar box. For the September box, the only things I'm interested in are the scarf and the chocolate. I'm really not even sure what I'm going to do with the rest of the items. Blah. Several people have commented that the regular box is more fall-oriented than the LE box. I don't see how it is fall themed at all, really.

Anyway, I'm wearing the scarf from the LE box today. Second time I've worn it and I've gotten lots of compliments. It's not a pattern I would have picked out, but the colors are beautiful and it drapes well. It seems like a more formal, more dressed up accessory.

I love the lipstick. Such a pretty color and it lasts forever on.

I also really like the perfume. It definitely has a sharp dark note at first, but that quickly fades and you are left with a really pretty warm vanilla scent.

The face wash is, well, facial cleanser. But it is mild and effective. I will use the entire bottle.

I haven't tried the gummies yet. Yes, I would have preferred something pumpkinish, but I'm guessing that they were going for the whole Fashion Week thing with the shapes of the candy.

The hat is soft and a little big, yes. I'm guessing that it is meant to be worn slouchy. A black version of the same hat is now on the Joie website listed for $98. I played around with it a couple of times and I think that it will be cute.

Are the prices inflated for the hat and scarf? Yes, but so is a lot of fashion. Would I have ever paid that much for either item? No, but it is fun to have them and fun to get two brand new accessory items before they were made available to the retail public.
Very well said! I love the scarf & hat, seriously love. I like the face wash a lot and the longer I have the box the more I love it over all. Someone had a great idea to use the perfume as a room spray. Now I'm kind of wishing I'd kept the St Tropez spray from a few boxes ago. I love the scarf so much, I traded for an extra. If everything is still on my swap list by Christmas, I'm going to have some lovely gifts to give. I'm also so excited for the September box! I won't use everything in it, but it's such a stellar deal with the scarf and discount code, I really need to stop myself from getting a third.

I got my box yesterday.  For the most part I'm pretty pleased with the:

• scarf, it's wonderfully light, I wish it was a bit longer but I'm wearing it with a black t and jeans today, the blue is beautiful,
  • hat is a little big for me, I have a smaller head but if I just fold the front edges under it will be a perfectly cozy WINTER hat, I love it,
  • perfume reminds me of a sweet musk, if that's even possible.  My boyfriend said he liked it too, I'll wear it,
  • lipstick works for me, but I'm not a big lipstick wearing gal. I have several reds too but I'm game to try out a new brand and who doesn't need a nice new red lipstick for fall?
The less than stellar items for me are the:

• gummies, yuck. I just don't like gummy candy unless it's sour patch kids :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> gave them to my boyfriend, I think he ate most of the package while playing that new game...divinity? Destiny?  I don't know whatever it was....I don't think he even realized they were gummy shoes, sunglasses and purses,
  • Face cleanser, I really wanted to like this item but the smell, I just do NOT like it......my boyfriend said it smelled like feet. HA! I might put it up for swapping. If all else fails I can just use it as hand soap followed up with a slightly more appealing hand cream.  
Overall I'm pretty pleased with the box, I wish I liked the cleanser more and wish the food items was a bit more "fall" like but.  I also LOVED the polka dot tissue paper! 

Welp, my box shows it was delivered to the post office on Friday. I should have received it by now...and I haven't. I've emailed PS and have asked for a refund which I am thinking is what they would have done anyhow b/c I know the box is sold out. 

I have mixed feelings... I was pretty pleased with the box, but was bummed it was not more "Fall themed". I would have loved to get my hands on the hat and cleanser...

Maybe my box will still show up? I dunno... I am torn. I like the look of the box but it's a bit hard for me to justify the cost of it. 

So I've had my box for a week now and I still feel gutted. Nothing about this box was fall related and the curation still seems to me to be centered around whatever companies wanted to donate items as promos rather than giving subscribers the best experience possible. I mean, I just really feel like I got completely burned. I also bought the resort box and while it wasn't really my cup of tea, I could see the curation. This one... I just don't know what they were thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:
My box arrived today. I live in Hawaii so I'm just about always last. Wow the box seemed tiny. The winter hat is useless (of course) and looks sort of standard and like nothing special to me through the plastic (didn't even bother to take it out since it's going straight to ebay). The lipstick and cleanser are okay. The perfume is odd? I just don't get the scent. I am one of the few who loved the St Tropez one which I've worn almost every day this summer but I don't know about this one. The scarf feels cheap, but at least it isn't a winter scarf. The gummies are gummies and taste just like Haribo to me but they are fine (and didn't melt despite the heat). I feel like the lipstick is the only thing remotely fall-ish in this box, which is just sad.

So I've had my box for a week now and I still feel gutted. Nothing about this box was fall related and the curation still seems to me to be centered around whatever companies wanted to donate items as promos rather than giving subscribers the best experience possible. I mean, I just really feel like I got completely burned. I also bought the resort box and while it wasn't really my cup of tea, I could see the curation. This one... I just don't know what they were thinking.

I'm the same way. This box is meh for a monthly one but extremely poor for a LE one. I wasted almost 110$ on this and the only thing I liked were the gummies. I'm quite sure I can find desginer gummies for a much better price. Now I'm stuck trying to sell everything on eBay to cover what I spent. If the items were higher quality designer pieces I wouldn't have a problem doing that but the hat and scarf are Target level quality at designer prices. They'll be a pain to sell for anywhere near 50% the MSRP.

This is the last LE for me. Barring them revealing specific items or the entire box's contents I'm no longer believing their BS about the curation of the LE boxes. They burned me on the Resort LE and spent months giving me the runaround on replacements without defects for the clutches and now this box is just sitting in the corner of my living room.

After having the LE scarf and the scarf from the Sept box both in my hand...the Sept scarf blows the LE out of the water.  It's really crazy how much more I love the Sept scarf; I like the design better, the feeling of the material better, and it's just larger and more substantial.  

I actually prefer the one in the LE box .. I think it'll be easier to wear for me (once it cools down enough to even consider wearing a scarf). But, I'm glad that they are so different .. one dark and more formal-elegant and the other more the flimsy hippie-boheme kind of thing.

I'm not unhappy with the LE box, but it's the first LE box that I wouldn't have bought knowing the contents. I would just never have gotten two new scarves within 2 weeks .. especially living in CA.

I actually prefer the one in the LE box .. I think it'll be easier to wear for me (once it cools down enough to even consider wearing a scarf). But, I'm glad that they are so different .. one dark and more formal-elegant and the other more the flimsy hippie-boheme kind of thing.

I'm not unhappy with the LE box, but it's the first LE box that I wouldn't have bought knowing the contents. I would just never have gotten two new scarves within 2 weeks .. especially living in CA.
Ugh, tell me about it.

It's 90F in my room.... at 2:00am. I'm dying to use the scarves, but WHENNNN.

After having the LE scarf and the scarf from the Sept box both in my hand...the Sept scarf blows the LE out of the water.  It's really crazy how much more I love the Sept scarf; I like the design better, the feeling of the material better, and it's just larger and more substantial.  
I couldn't agree with you more!  I just got my September monthly box yesterday and feel like that scarf is so appropriate for fall.  The Marchesa scarf just didn't do it for me (despite the high price tag).   

It seems like Popsugar is having a difficult time finding companies who want to work with them on the higher end boxes and they're just throwing in whatever they can get.  It all seemed desperate, as the last few $100 boxes have been.  I've only worn the lipstick once (I actually like the lipstick we got in this month's Ipsy bag wayyy better!), and the knit cap isn't anything special (outside of having a Joie tag sewn into it).  

I'm also annoyed that a the box itself was so small and cheap. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have an idea for a next fall special edition box. How about a student edition? For college students. It could include cute notebooks, a backpack, tech stuff, some scarfs, and a lot of home items for the dorm. I would love to see that multi-purpose kitchen kit that looks like a wine bottle buzzfeed keeps posting about.

actually, that could be one of those special boxes they do - like the baby and bridesmaid ones. that would be good. then ppl who it fits could get it. and those that don't wouldn't be sent boxes that wouldnt apply.  good idea.

Assuming most folks got this survey link for the Fall Style and September boxes - 

No idea if they'll actually read/take to heart my comments, but I nonetheless found it pretty therapeutic to vent my frustrations with the Fall Style box.  

I ranted like a lunatic with my opinions on the FALL LE box.  I couldn't help it.  Who sends out stripper perfume, face wash that smells like fruit, a blue scarf, gummies and a winter hat in a FALL LE box? POPSUGAR - that's who!  The only thing even remotely fall was the lipstick and I don't wear lipstick at all.  I was seriously disappointed in that box.  

Back