PopSugar Special Edition Fall 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(I'm not sure where I read this - on here or another site)

Someone mentioned folding up the bottom of the hat - I tried this and it totally changed the look of the hat on me! If you are feeling like you hate the hat, try this! I now feel like I can wear it and not look silly! Thank you whoever it was that had this idea! (I'm not very fashion forward so these ideas don't come to me!)

I am still waiting on my box, but after hearing all the negative feedback I am a little concerned. 

I am not sure the scarf is my style, I'll have to see how it looks on but I tend to prefer either neutral or light colors.  I haven't even felt I could pull off the blue brokedown scarf we got in the Spring to wear it out yet.  I also hate when "high-end" stuff is made in China.  You know it cost pennies to make over there.  I've actually been looking into what companies make their products in North America and am actively trying to be more aware of where my clothes, and especially cosmetics are made.

I have a small head, so I am not sure if I can get the hat to work more slouchy because of that or if I am not going to be able to keep it on my head...I really like it so I am hoping to get it to work.

Perfume...I'm ok with a sweet perfume, especially for work where I am in close contact with patients, but not ok with a public bathroom scented perfume.  The opinions on this one are varying like crazy!

Gummies...just went low-carb, low-sugar but I am sure my 6 year old will love them.  I also agree this should have been a fall-oriented treat. 

Lipstick...I'll have to see it, but I think I'm good with this. 

Face Wash....I am on face wash overload but I haven't even heard of this brand so I am looking forward to trying it, especially if it really does brighten!

These LE boxes are always a gamble.  I actually enjoyed both the Resort and Summer for the most part, but this one may be  more of a miss.  It depends on how I feel about the hat and scarf once I see it on.  I already know that if I can afford it, I'll be sucked into the winter/holiday one.

This is my first and last LE box. So sad! It had so much promise, but it truly wasn't a fall box. 

--The face wash works well, although it smells like a strawberry Bonnie Bell lipsmacker.

--The gummies tasted good, but did not represent fall at all.

--The scarf color is beautiful, but I'm not a huge fan of the design. It may actually make me wear a scarf for the very first time!

Dislikes:

--The hat feels nice, but it's too big (I think the first time I've ever said that)! It has to be practically pulled over my eyes to not look stupid. I'll try someone's trick to roll it up on the inside.

--The perfume kind of reminds me of Aquolino Pink Sugar perfume--kind of smells like cotton candy mixed with sanitizer or something. Will NEVER wear. EVER. 

--The lipstick is too dark for me. It looks a little burnt orangey-red on me. Will be trading or something.

And is that seriously it? I really feel like I wasted $100 on crap. I should've just gotten the monthly box instead!

Got my box over the weekend (a week earlier than expected!) and am somewhat happier with it than I expected, but still not wowed!

The scarf is much prettier on than I thought it would be - still not a huuge fan of the black-blue combo (and don't see at all how those colors are supposed to be "fall").. but I'm a scarf junkie and it will definitely be worn. Also really nice weight and very soft so that's a plus. 

The perfume definitely smells like a stripper, but I kind of like it LOL

Face wash was lovely for the first use... will have to use it a few more times to really form an opinion... hoping to GOD it doesn't give me a rash or make me break out like some of the serums they've sent in the past.

The hat.. as expected looks awful on me. I have a huge head and curly hair and it sort of looks like a condom on my head. Sweeeeet.

Lipstick is nice.. pretty color, but sort of a weird shape out of the tube. Can definitely understand how it may break easily. 

Gummys... not impressed, but my bf seems to be enjoying them!

This will probably be my last Special Edition (unless there is a spoiler item that I can't live without!). I've gotten I think all but two that they've put out in the past, and each time I've skipped I haven't ended up being disappointed.... just have to remember that next time I'm about to cave!

I got my box.  Surprisingly the only thing I will use is the  scarf although I don't wear bright blue usually. The gummies are gross threw them out.  I love sweet  and fruity perfume and I am surprised I don't like this one but I don't.   The hat would be  nice if it wasn't huge.  It is so long not sure why they would do that. The lipstick as I thought is way to bold for me.  I cant even give it to my mom or grandma they didn't like the color. I have not tried the face wash I may like it don't know yet.   The actually size of the box disappointed me for some strange reason.   I also kept looking through the paper to see if there was another item.   Thought there should have been.  Jewelry would have been nice.    This will be my last limited edition  box.  I feel sad I blew  this much money on nothing I like.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my box today and even though I like the perfume, it really reminds me of the St. Tropez one we got back in May or so. Like, it has that sunscreen edge to it, sort of. Weird (but I still like it)!

So, I've had my box for a couple of days and had a chance to really try some things out. Scarf: I think I'm really in the minority, but I actually love the scarf & I'm not an old lady, haha. I don't mind that it's made of viscose. It's light and soft and takes up zero space if I need to take it off & roll it up in my handbag. A couple of my Italian made Missoni scarves are woven from the same material. The vibrant blue will go great with my daily mommy uniform of boots, black tights, long black tee and moto jacket.

Hat: I love the hat, it is so soft and warm & fits me fine (I must have a big head). I tried it with a low side pony and it looked good.

Indie Lee: I don't love the smell of the face wash, but I don't hate it. It looks nice on my bathroom tray, didn't dry out my skin & didn't irritate my eyes.

Perfume: This scent is not my thing. I wish they would have put in a home item & a fun piece of jewelry instead because this box seriously felt like it was missing something & perfume is too personal. It would be nearly impossible to please even half of their subscribers with any fragrance.

Lipstick: Too dark for me.

Gummie candy: Huh? I still don't get this one.

Over all I'm happy with the box & glad I got it. I like the three more expensive items & I can swap the rest or use as stocking stuffers but I'm not over the moon. I really think last fall's box was better & I'm sad I missed it. I'm a sucker for these & can't be stopped so I really hope that the Christmas LE rocks my socks.

I have tried the perfume a couple of times now and it is growing on me. At first I picked up a dark element in the scent that I didn't care for as it didn't seem to connect with the sweetness. It took me a while to put my finger on it, but I think it is leather. Maybe that is what the "vamp essence" is in the scent (from the website description). Once it dries down, though, it leaves a nice warm essence that actually lingers for a long time.

Re: the scarf, I was (like someone a few pages back) 99.99% ready to sell or swap the scarf but I tried it on and I love it! Scarves are usually too bulky on me but this is really flattering and the pattern/color is beautiful.

Also, I saw some 100% viscose Rag & Bone scarves for $145 so it seems like the $140 price tag on the Marchesa may not be that inflated (well, yes, super inflated in terms of quality but in line with designer prices).

Got my box today!

I really really love the scarf -- I happened to have on a light cream sweater when I opened the box, and it looked gorgeous with it.  I also like it just hung over my neck with a white tee/dark jeans.  BUT, I agree, generally with the assessment it is not work $140.  I actually think Rag & Bone is the biggest rip off ever, as are similar brands, that sell made in China garments/accessories using cheapo synthetic fibers for $$$.  Basically, that describes this scarf.  The quality is not much better than something I find on the street for $10 on Broadway.  

I have almost finished the bag of gummies -- Love.  Want moree.  

Hat: Selling.  I loved the spoiler, but not flattering on me.

Perfume: Selling.  Not a perfume gal, so nothing against it/the inclusion of perfume.

Face Wash: Been meaning to try Indie Lee.  It left my face really soft, so hopefully it won't irritate my very easily angered skin.

Lipstick: Have a nearly identical shade.  Swapped.

So... definitely not worth the $100.  Too bad.  The resort box was awesome for me.  The summer box was Meh, but I LOVED that necklace and olive oil.  May wait for spoilers for the next LE box before deciding to buy it.

I have tried the perfume a couple of times now and it is growing on me. At first I picked up a dark element in the scent that I didn't care for as it didn't seem to connect with the sweetness. It took me a while to put my finger on it, but I think it is leather. Maybe that is what the "vamp essence" is in the scent (from the website description). Once it dries down, though, it leaves a nice warm essence that actually lingers for a long time.
That sounds better to me than the sweet descriptions. I like perfumes with leather, pepper and "dark" spices. Does it also stay sweet? Not sure if I would like the combo.

My box arrived yesterday! I thought it had a lot of promise when I saw the spoilers, but I was pretty disappointed with it once I saw it in person. My thoughts:

I'll use the hat. I have a large head, so it works for me, haha!

The gummies are delicious!

I'll use the face wash--I like the smell! Just hoping it doesn't cause me to breakout as I have sensitive skin. I haven't tried this brand in the past, but if I enjoy the face wash I may purchase more from them. 

I really don't like the scarf. The print is not my style. It is also pretty small and like many of you have mentioned, the quality just isn't there. I'll gift it to someone I think will appreciate it more.

The lipstick color just doesn't work for me. Gave it my mom, who has a much darker skin tone.

Couldn't stand the perfume. It does kind of remind me of Pink Sugar, which I loved as a teen, but a bit muskier. Donating to a local charity. 

Overall, this ended up being a disappointment. I feel like the September box is a better box, and certainly more "fall" than this. I felt like they just threw a bunch of random things together and tried to call it fall style box because its September. 

Thankfully, this was a gift, so I didn't pay for it. However, it has me second-guessing whether I'll purchase the winter special edition box. I loved last year's fall box and winter box, but haven't been impressed since. 

I think I need to remember to skip the future boxes -- even if it sells out, someone ALWAYS sells their box.  Also, each piece of the box always ends up on ebay, so I could save money by buying the pieces I love.  I ALSO need to remind myself that as much as I may like a scarf spoiler, I am barred from spending money on any more scarfs.  I literally needed a wallet this month and can't buy it because I'm now on a low-buy and spend that money instead on a cheap scarf and gummies.  Hopefully I have success selling the rest on ebay so I can recoup some costs... 

I need help styling this scarf!  I am wearing it today but having trouble. Mostly because it is too short and too thin. I am big-busted and if I try it as an infinity scarf, it looks more like a necklace.  I am wearing it with one loop right now and it still looks too short. If someone can point me to some Instagram photos or selfies with styling ideas, I would appreciate it!

I should finally have my box tonight when I get home...I can't wait to see the what big deal is about the scarf...oh and the hat...oh AND the perfume.

Got it! Time to start celebrating my B'Day :mussical:

Love the hat, color, style and fit :luv:

Like the scarf colors. Fabric mostly b/c is lightweight. Pattern not so much, but will wear as colors stand out :glasses:  not the lovely pattern :blink2:

Love the Lipstick. Color is great for Fall/Winter. Feel is versatile. :satisfied:

Gummies :lick:

Perfume... :sick:  Then again someone else could love gifting :huh:  or could be used as bathroom spray :w00t:

:drive:

I think I'm in the very small minority here, but I do like the Special Edition box. I certainly like it more than the September Popsugar box. For the September box, the only things I'm interested in are the scarf and the chocolate. I'm really not even sure what I'm going to do with the rest of the items. Blah. Several people have commented that the regular box is more fall-oriented than the LE box. I don't see how it is fall themed at all, really.

Anyway, I'm wearing the scarf from the LE box today. Second time I've worn it and I've gotten lots of compliments. It's not a pattern I would have picked out, but the colors are beautiful and it drapes well. It seems like a more formal, more dressed up accessory.

I love the lipstick. Such a pretty color and it lasts forever on.

I also really like the perfume. It definitely has a sharp dark note at first, but that quickly fades and you are left with a really pretty warm vanilla scent.

The face wash is, well, facial cleanser. But it is mild and effective. I will use the entire bottle.

I haven't tried the gummies  yet. Yes, I would have preferred something pumpkinish, but I'm guessing that they were going for the whole Fashion Week thing with the shapes of the candy.

The hat is soft and a little big, yes. I'm guessing that it is meant to be worn slouchy. A black version of the same hat is now on the Joie website listed for $98. I played around with it a couple of times and I think that it will be cute.

Are the prices inflated for the hat and scarf? Yes, but so is a lot of fashion. Would I have ever paid that much for either item? No, but it is fun to have them and fun to get two brand new accessory items before they were made available to the retail public.

I think I'm in the very small minority here, but I do like the Special Edition box. I certainly like it more than the September Popsugar box. For the September box, the only things I'm interested in are the scarf and the chocolate. I'm really not even sure what I'm going to do with the rest of the items. Blah. Several people have commented that the regular box is more fall-oriented than the LE box. I don't see how it is fall themed at all, really.

Anyway, I'm wearing the scarf from the LE box today. Second time I've worn it and I've gotten lots of compliments. It's not a pattern I would have picked out, but the colors are beautiful and it drapes well. It seems like a more formal, more dressed up accessory.

I love the lipstick. Such a pretty color and it lasts forever on.

I also really like the perfume. It definitely has a sharp dark note at first, but that quickly fades and you are left with a really pretty warm vanilla scent.

The face wash is, well, facial cleanser. But it is mild and effective. I will use the entire bottle.

I haven't tried the gummies  yet. Yes, I would have preferred something pumpkinish, but I'm guessing that they were going for the whole Fashion Week thing with the shapes of the candy.

The hat is soft and a little big, yes. I'm guessing that it is meant to be worn slouchy. A black version of the same hat is now on the Joie website listed for $98. I played around with it a couple of times and I think that it will be cute.

Are the prices inflated for the hat and scarf? Yes, but so is a lot of fashion. Would I have ever paid that much for either item? No, but it is fun to have them and fun to get two brand new accessory items before they were made available to the retail public.
Well said! I agree that I don't see the monthly box as being more Fall than the special edition and I like your idea of viewing it as a "Fashion Week box" instead of just strictly Fall. It makes me like the box even more!

...and yes the perfume is very similar to one we got during the Summer. The difference imo is that the Summer one had a more beach, suntan lotion kind of fragrance. This one smells to me like cotton candy...with a hint of vanilla. Seriously, I use the Summer one as a room spray, and I will use this one the same way :smileno:

Back