PopSugar Special Edition Fall 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that's the problem for many people including me.

Many people don't wear hats and on some they just don't work. Or it's simply not a hat climate.

The scarf is nice, but it's hard to get excited about a scarf since we've gotten so many already in monthly boxes of similar or even better quality. It's just not a WOW I'm so glad to have gotten this kind of scarf.

And the rest is simply not enough to justify the price.

I think I am the only one having issues with the cleanser's smell....for me, it smells like fruit vomit. I know, not the most mature description, but it smells fermented...Could it be spoiled?

As for the hat, is became quite wearable when I folded the ends inward about 2 inches before putting it on....might make an appearance with the alpaca itchy scarf from last winter's LE box on one of the few freezing southern winter days.

I have not received my box yet so I don't know how I feel about it. However, I know that I am officially in the PopSugar trap! After the disaster of the last box, I thought they would make up for it with this box. Now that this box was an even bigger disaster, I feel like they will make up for it with the winter edition box. Not wanting to miss out, I am sure I will buy that box...which will probably contain something stupid, like suntan lotion and sunglasses. Then I will buy the spring box, hoping it makes up for the winter box....it's a never ending trap :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I tried the cleanser tonight and while I did see the brightening effect, I thought it smelled AWFUL as well. I had to wash my face and my hands multiple time to get the smell off. Ick!

I'm so beyond disappointed. I disliked the scarf, but decided to wear it today to work -- and it's already fraying apart after 8 hours of use. It's absolutely horrible quality -- not even passable for a $30 product, let alone its inflated value.

What they *should* do is send a "7th item" to those that purchased this box, given the very public feedback -- as a way to apologize for the gummies that do not scream "football games" but rather fancy shoe-themed tea parties in the spring, a winter hat, and a scarf that I could read a book for hours through. Even though they never promise 7 items, it's become a norm for them -- a trend. To not receive 7 items and not be close to being wow'd by the rest is disappointing -- and my sentiments are certainly not alone.

I actually liked the perfume and, while I haven't tried the lipstick, I'm warming up to the color. I'm going to try the cleanser, too, because the ingredients are minimal and might work well on my sensitive skin. I'm excited about that, especially after reading people's thoughts here on it. But, by no means was this box "fall-oriented." I've been looking forward to an autumn-themed box for months and months -- my favorite season.

While I'll still subscribe to the monthly boxes and really do enjoy PopSugar (they've been great to fix a few product leakages/damages for me in the past -- really quick turnaround), I do feel like they need to do SOMETHING for those of us that purchased this box. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:
I went spoiler free for a week. I missed you ladies! So, I got my box today and I'm pretty disappointed. I do not see a Fall theme at all. I love Fall and that is the single reason why I paid $100 for this box. I think after three fails with their recent LEs, it's time for me to take the hint and stop buying them. I had a feeling I would be displeased with the contents when I saw the weight. Heck, the box isn't even as good as usual. I usually use those boxes to organize magazines, but it's too small.

Hat- pretty and soft. I wanted the gloves some people thought we would get. But, it's nice to own a nice winter hat.

Scarf- ugly, swapping. Would have loved a cashmere scarf.

Facial soap- I have so many of these types of things, I don't need it.

Gummies- wha?? Not Fall at all. Atleast do pumpkin or maple flavor or something. It's weird and the worst food item I've seen in a luxury box.

Lipstick- it's cool looking, but too dark for me.

Perfume- I'm pleasantly surprised. Since it was in a sealed bag I was going to keep it that way and swap it since I don't like the smell of jasmine. But I decided I had to atleast smell it. I really like it. It reminds me of the smell "milk and cookies" that Natural Wonders stores sold before they went out of business. It's a very warm and toasty smell. Perfect for fall.

So, I paid $100 for a hat and perfume. I preferred the August monthly box and don't feel like I got luxury. A big bummer since it was a gift from my husband for my bday and I chose this over a Kindle Paperwhite :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Got my box yesterday! I also wish we would've gotten one more piece, especially jewelry. A pair of stud earrings would've been perfect for me. 

Scarf: The pattern is okay and brights are really in for fall, so I think it will incorporate into my wardrobe well. I love the way the it lays. Many of the other scarves we've received have laid funny or puffy and have not been flattering. This one has a great weight to it and will look great with my work outfits. 

Hat: I love this hat! I hated the stripes from the pattern we saw, so I'm pleased to get a cable knit. It will match a pair of gloves that I own and chunky knits are also very in this year. It fits well for me, but that's because I have a giant head. It's so soft, too! Excited to wear it. 

Cleanser - excited to try it, but haven't yet! I've got so many open cleansers right now, I am trying not to open this one until I need to! 

Lipstick - The shade is beautiful and the formula seems nice. 

Perfume - Meh I like the smell in a way that I like the smell of vanilla and brownies, but I have so many perfumes that I love this won't get worn much. 

Gummies - gross. 

Ohhhhh!! I received my box and I finally understand all the confusion with this box!! To their credit, they never specified "Fall" as a season. I now understand this to be the "I've FALLen and I can't get up" box because my grandmother would love this scarf.

(Just trying to add a little humor to this disaster!!)

I actually like the perfume and face wash despite the very sweet scent. I like the hat but it's way too big on my (what I thought to be) very normal sized head. The gummies were manufactured in 3/13. I suppose they had to put them in this box otherwise they would have expired. I don't wear lipstick, but maybe I will give this a try.

Oh well, you win some and you lose some!!

Ohhhhh!! I received my box and I finally understand all the confusion with this box!! To their credit, they never specified "Fall" as a season. I now understand this to be the "I've FALLen and I can't get up" box because my grandmother would love this scarf.
Bwhahahhahahahahahahaaha! This absolutely made my day lol. So true, so true. That's what we get for assuming they meant "fall" as in the season fall - silly us!

Thanks for the great laugh! Man I love this site!

I literally stalked the postman today (I sat in my car, hoping to get the box before I had to leave for work) and boy. . .what a let down.  Even though I already knew what was coming in the box, I was hoping something about seeing the box in person would lift my spirits a bit.  

To start, it really bothered me that a $100 box was so tiny.  I know that's a weird thing to be upset about, but it just didn't give me the same satisfaction as opening a 'big' box.  It also annoys me they ship Smartpost on a $100 box and I watched my box bounce all over the Portland metro area this week.  

I thought the lipstick was pretty and the formula is 'ok' (creamy & non drying).  It's a basic red, nothing extraordinary or special I guess.  

The cap is nice and soft, but I'm bothered that we got another 'luxury' item made in China.  It's not that flattering and other than the Joie label, it doesn't seem to be anything I couldn't get anywhere else. 

The perfume. . .nasty. I mean, cloying and overly sweet with musky notes.  Maybe for someone else, but it's not something I would ever wear.  It also doesn't smell like quality and although I'm glad the scent faded quickly (because it was so gross), a perfume should wear for more than just a few minutes.  

The cleanser - I used it tonight and I like it.  There's a strong fruit smell, but that doesn't bother me.  

The scarf. . .hello, Golden Girls!  The colors are saturated and even though it's not a luxury fabric, it does drape nicely.  But the pattern is so outdated and I just don't see myself wearing this.  

The gummies - well, I realize they can't cater to every single dietary restriction. But, I'm vegetarian and don't eat gelatin so the tummies were a big 'no' for me.  Even if I could've had them, they don't seem like an appropriate treat choice for a $100 box.  

All in all, I felt like this box was boring and not contemporary or fun.   I really thought they'd go above and beyond with this box considering how disappointing the last few SE boxes were.  Nope.  For real this time, it's my last SE box . . I'm not going to take a gamble like this again.  

I'm so beyond disappointed. I disliked the scarf, but decided to wear it today to work -- and it's already fraying apart after 8 hours of use. It's absolutely horrible quality -- not even passable for a $30 product, let alone its inflated value.

What they *should* do is send a "7th item" to those that purchased this box, given the very public feedback -- as a way to apologize for the gummies that do not scream "football games" but rather fancy shoe-themed tea parties in the spring, a winter hat, and a scarf that I could read a book for hours through. Even though they never promise 7 items, it's become a norm for them -- a trend. To not receive 7 items and not be close to being wow'd by the rest is disappointing -- and my sentiments are certainly not alone.

I actually liked the perfume and, while I haven't tried the lipstick, I'm warming up to the color. I'm going to try the cleanser, too, because the ingredients are minimal and might work well on my sensitive skin. I'm excited about that, especially after reading people's thoughts here on it. But, by no means was this box "fall-oriented." I've been looking forward to an autumn-themed box for months and months -- my favorite season.

While I'll still subscribe to the monthly boxes and really do enjoy PopSugar (they've been great to fix a few product leakages/damages for me in the past -- really quick turnaround), I do feel like they need to do SOMETHING for those of us that purchased this box. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I totally agree....unfortunately though, I wouldn't expect them to do anything. A lot of us felt the same way about the last LE box and nothing was done. I have a friend whose damaged necklace they wouldn't even replace because they said it was "intended" to look "distressed." I mean, wow. I still get the monthly boxes, but I don't trust them enough to drop $100 again.

When @@northwest22 said she could have had a Kindle Paperwhite instead of this box, that really helped put the LE boxes in perspective for me. As much as I love PS's monthly boxes, the LEs are almost always a let down for many of us.

$100 is a large amount of cash, and when you could get something (a big item, no less!) that you know you love versus a gamble that usually fails... it just makes sense for me personally not to take the LE gamble anymore.

I don't know why PS seems to have so much trouble curating these LE boxes successfully... it's such an awesome concept but it just doesn't seem to work too well most of the time. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I was also pretty disappointed by this box - don't get me wrong, this would have been fine for a regular monthly box, but not as a $100 Limited Edition Box. 

I'm kicking myself for buying this one - After my disappointment with the LE Resort box, I opted not to buy the Summer box.  However, the Summer box actually looked pretty cool, so, I didn't want to miss out again.  Unfortunately, the LE Fall box did not win me over - this will be my last LE box (unless they do a Nieman's box again!)

I thought the lipstick was very pretty - I've never tried this brand and I'm always on the hunt for new brands.

The hat is a pretty color and super soft, but it rarely goes below 50 where I live, so I won't have any use for it.

I don't think the perfume is too bad - I think it smells almost exactly like Bath and Body Works' Vanilla Bean Noel, which is my tween daughter's favorite scent.  However, given the description on the product website, I don't think it's appropriate to pass this perfume onto her! (lol)

I love the cleanser!

I actually like the scarf and think it looks better in person than in the spoiler photos.  I'll definitely wear it when it gets a little cooler here.

My daughter and I also loved the candy!  I've been curious to try the Sugarpova brand and it did not disappoint.

Overall, it wasn't a bad box, I just don't think it was worth the $100 LE pricetag.  I would have loved a luxury candle, houseware item or piece of jewelry instead of the hat.

When @@northwest22 said she could have had a Kindle Paperwhite instead of this box, that really helped put the LE boxes in perspective for me. As much as I love PS's monthly boxes, the LEs are almost always a let down for many of us.

$100 is a large amount of cash, and when you could get something (a big item, no less!) that you know you love versus a gamble that usually fails... it just makes sense for me personally not to take the LE gamble anymore.

I don't know why PS seems to have so much trouble curating these LE boxes successfully... it's such an awesome concept but it just doesn't seem to work too well most of the time. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I agree with this completely. I like more items than most people seem to, and I don't find the scarf "old lady" (which I think is terribly insulting to mature women, as if anything they would wear is awful? Old ladies are all styleless hags? That is not true. If you don't like something, I don't think you should insult older ladies along with whatever you don't like. Ugh. I will now get off of my soap box). I definitely feel it fits better with my professional wardrobe than something I would wear on the weekend. I have a larger head than most, so the hat does work for me. However, it should never have been $100. I bought a Kate Spade Wallet for less than $100 during their sale. I just bought some Vince Camuto booties for less than $100. I enjoy those things much more than what I received here. 

I have not got my box yet.. my mind could change.  I personally don't like the scarf and think the print looks old lady  to me. 

I don't find the scarf "old lady" (which I think is terribly insulting to mature women, as if anything they would wear is awful? Old ladies are all styleless hags? That is not true. If you don't like something, I don't think you should insult older ladies along with whatever you don't like. Ugh. I will now get off of my soap box).
Just chiming in to say my mom's 75 years old and is more stylish and fashionable than most young adults I know, so the "old lady" description people keep giving the scarf is particularly insulting. If you don't like a pattern, say that; you don't need to disparage another group of women. (Also, I showed my mom a spoiler pic of the scarf and she replied with "I hate that pattern," so there you go.)

I should be getting my box next week, since it travels by turtle, but I'm already disappointed. I'm trying to keep an open mind, but from reading the comments here I already feel like my money was wasted. I could have put that $100 towards two Stila anniversary palettes. Bummer.

I tried the lipstick tonight and LOVE it!

I have small-ish lips and have found that pretty much every darker lipstick I've ever tried looks really bad on me, but this color WORKS. I'm really happy about that...great red.

Latest posts

Back