PopSugar Special Edition Fall 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I I tried the cleanser last night and again this morning.  It really does brighten.  I'm happy with it.  It got all my makeup (except eyes which is says to avoid anyways) off last night, and was refreshing this morning.  I like the smell.  I agree as above, smells kinda like bubble gum, but in a nice way (to me).  It was pretty gentle feeling and didn't dry me out. 

I feel and look like I just had a spa brightening mask done, and only had to wash my face, lol.  If the whole bottle keeps well on my skin, I see it as something I'll purchase myself later on.  

Okay, just got my box. This is my input.

• Hat - I like it more than I thought I would, but it seems like it's an odd size for me. Too big to be a regular beanie and too small to work slouchy. I'll probably keep it and try it will a few different looks for fall and make it work, but it's not something I would have bought on my own.
  • Cleanser - I tried it just now. I like it. The smell is nice and it works well. I'm wondering how I would like it in the long term though. I really like that it's Paraben, sulfate and fake fragrance free.
  • Gummies - Eh, I mean they are gummies. I don't feel like I got a treat. I have gummies that taste just as good in my candy jar. Nothing special, but I'll eat them.
  • Lipstick - I'll attach a picture if I can get it to work. I actaully really like it. It seems to be a bit drying, but I didn't do anything to moisturize before like I usually do. Even though it's a deep red I feel like it's a color that will work for the majority of people.
    image.jpg
  • Scarf - I'm actually in love with it. I didn't think I would be but it's soft and lightweight which I like in a scarf. I love the gorgeous color. My aunt adores everything in this cobalt color though so I'm debating gifting. I'll probably keep it though. I just really don't feel like it's worth $140. It seems like a scarf I could pick up at the mall at Forever 21 for like $10. Once again, I don't feel it's a luxery. The Marchesa name is not enough to make it worth it to me.
  • Perfume - Hate it. I usually love sweet smelling perfumes and had high hopes for it. After putting it on it reminds me of something a grandma would wear mixed with those roll on perfume things I had in elementary school. I can't wear it. It will be gifted.

Over all I'm pleaed with the box. I still don't feel like it's anything that amazing, but I'm not disappointed like I expected to be from the spoilers. If I had known this would be the box I wouldn't have bought it. I really feel like it's missing a home or jewelery item. I don't feel like it's complete. I might get another LE in the future, but I don't think I will be as quick to jump to it.
The lipstick looks really good on you!  

I I tried the cleanser last night and again this morning.  It really does brighten.  I'm happy with it.  It got all my makeup (except eyes which is says to avoid anyways) off last night, and was refreshing this morning.  I like the smell.  I agree as above, smells kinda like bubble gum, but in a nice way (to me).  It was pretty gentle feeling and didn't dry me out. 
So I have been reading the Indie Lee webpage and she clarified in FAQ's that the cleanser can be used on eyes, they only recommend not to use it on eyes if you are using it with an electronic cleansing brush. 

On a similar note, has anyone used the cleanser as an exfoliating mask? It says to "leave it on for 5 minutes for added beauty benefits." Does that mean you rub it off? Or wash it off? Thoughts?

So I have been reading the Indie Lee webpage and she clarified in FAQ's that the cleanser can be used on eyes, they only recommend not to use it on eyes if you are using it with an electronic cleansing brush. 

On a similar note, has anyone used the cleanser as an exfoliating mask? It says to "leave it on for 5 minutes for added beauty benefits." Does that mean you rub it off? Or wash it off? Thoughts?
Hmmmm... I used the cleanser this morning and found that it had instant brightening results for me. Tonight, I'll try it as a mask! I don't use a brush though, just standard exfoliation and rinse. I do adore this item from the box because it's like Popsugar knew, I got dark this past weekend and was looking for something to brighten me up again. By far, my favorite product out of the whole box! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Oh good to know!  Now I wont be so careful not to touch eye skin with it.  I take eye makeup off with remover anyways, but I like to wash my eyes when I wash my face.  

As for the mask... I'd assume you lather it all over your face, and leave it on, then wash it off after 5 or so minutes.  That's how I understand the directions. 

I think the Cynthia Vincent bag of last year was valued at $85.

This time, two clothing items (not ideal), a scarf when everyone knows we'll get another in a few days, less items and overall less variety. They should have at least thrown in the white - gold pen from the inspiration board. Though the scarf is really what made it a bit disappointing to me .. even though I like it. And I'm bound to be disappointed by Sept as well .. cause it'll be another scarf as the one big item.
Ahh good call on the bag, I even thought "hmm, why was I so shocked at the bag value last year" when I copied it from someone else's review.  $85 is more in line with what I remember.  So I guess both fall boxes were equal value.

Just got my box.  Overall, I'm pretty happy with it.  The scarf is a nicer quality than I was expecting.  The perfume isn't as scary as I thought it was going to be.  It does give me that warm vanilla baking vibe.  Haven't tried the cleanser or the lipstick but both seem ok.  The gummies are very much gummed together right now - I got the box as soon as my mailman dropped it off but still, the heat in general is strong enough to gum up the works.

I will say the hat just doesn't do it for me.  I have thick curly brunette hair and, while it fits, I kind of look like Carrot Top's bastard homeless love child with it on. *sigh*  It is nice and soft - would  have loved a scarf from this material though.  Not sure if I'm going to keep it or trade it.

On a semi-related note, one of the other subscription boxes I get is BarkBox.  My dogs were so excited to see me opening the box.  Until they smelled the lap dance perfume lol  Then they realized it wasn't for them ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Candy:  Sadly I eat no sugar products so I cannot comment other than when reading the back I found that they donate part of the profits to helping children.  So without tasting, I am going to have to give them a plus for the charity.  HOWEVER....I did notice that the product production date on the bag said 03/12/2013, though expires in 2015.  Just a bit disturbed that they are sending a food product made 19 months ago.  Hey...i am a label reader
Funny, my label said it was made in July of this year, and I was impressed the gummies are relatively fresh! 

Got it

Hat: hmm looks bad on me, I am not a hat person at all, would not even spend $20 on it. I had to tuck my hair in or it was even worse lol Images attached.

Scarf: Not a scarf person, but it's pretty. Not impressed with the quality at all though.

Cleanser: well it's a cleanser lol I used it, did not notice any difference.

Lipstick: I like it, not sure if I love it on me though. Images again.

Perfum: This is going to be harsh, I sprayed it and then noticed I was smelling like baby powder with a mix of that public restroom stank. Awful in my opinion.

Gummies: Good, but just Gummies and not fall at all.

Over all I feel like I wasted some money :( one photo with and without hat, one is sideways and have no idea how to change it. Tried to show scarfs color but it looks dark.

20140905_154819-1.jpg

20140905_154954.jpg

Has anyone checked out the comments on their facebook?  They are blasting the box as much as we are here (and worse).  I hope for anyone foolish enough to purchase an LE box in the future that Popsugar takes these comments into consideration.  

I mean...they took in almost half a mil for these boxes (4,000 boxes sold at $100).  I'm sure they get these products at a huge discount, or free in some cases, so they had to have made a decent profit on this box while putting no thought into the theme.

Has anyone checked out the comments on their facebook?  They are blasting the box as much as we are here (and worse).  I hope for anyone foolish enough to purchase an LE box in the future that Popsugar takes these comments into consideration.  

I mean...they took in almost half a mil for these boxes (4,000 boxes sold at $100).  I'm sure they get these products at a huge discount, or free in some cases, so they had to have made a decent profit on this box while putting no thought into the theme.
I've been thinking a lot about this and I really feel like they just grabbed whatever stuff was being offered to them for cheap by companies looking for a bit of marketing. Like the Marchesa scarf, great way to announce that you've teamed up with ShopStyle, or the gummies - I had never even heard of them before this box. It's definitely one way to explain the complete lack of thought that went into curating this box.

I will say this was my first and, more than likely, last SE box.  Nothing here wows me. When the best thing I can say about some of the items is wow, that didn't suck as much as I thought it was going to, well, that's not a good thing.  In hindsight, I would have rather taken $100 and put it toward a 3 month subscription.

C'est la vie!

Got it

Hat: hmm looks bad on me, I am not a hat person at all, would not even spend $20 on it. I had to tuck my hair in or it was even worse lol Images attached.

Scarf: Not a scarf person, but it's pretty. Not impressed with the quality at all though.

Cleanser: well it's a cleanser lol I used it, did not notice any difference.

Lipstick: I like it, not sure if I love it on me though. Images again.

Perfum: This is going to be harsh, I sprayed it and then noticed I was smelling like baby powder with a mix of that public restroom stank. Awful in my opinion.

Gummies: Good, but just Gummies and not fall at all.

Over all I feel like I wasted some money :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> one photo with and without hat, one is sideways and have no idea how to change it. Tried to show scarfs color but it looks dark.
I think the scarf and the lipstick both look great on you.  The red is bright and pretty, without going into bozo red lip territory.  The earthiness of it plays well with your skin tone.  

And thank goodness I'm not the only one who thought public bathroom on the perfume!  I thought so too, specifically the Target's in my area, lol. 

I just got my box, and I actually like it a lot more than I thought I would.

The only thing I don't think I'll use is the hat...I'm just not a hat person unless it's a cap while I'm running. But I really think I'll use everything else. Personally, I'm a fan of the perfume. Excited to use the cleanser. The scarf, while it won't be warm, will match my winter coat and boots. I just hope the lipstick looks okay on me!

I think the scarf and the lipstick both look great on you. The red is bright and pretty, without going into bozo red lip territory. The earthiness of it plays well with your skin tone.

And thank goodness I'm not the only one who thought public bathroom on the perfume! I thought so too, specifically the Target's in my area, lol.
Yes! I know because I despise public bathrooms but sometimes my 5 year old DD insists she has to go, and first thing that hits me is the smell, I avoid them at all cost. To put on a perfume that reminds me of that is just appalling lol

Hmmmm... I used the cleanser this morning and found that it had instant brightening results for me. Tonight, I'll try it as a mask! I don't use a brush though, just standard exfoliation and rinse. I do adore this item from the box because it's like Popsugar knew, I got dark this past weekend and was looking for something to brighten me up again. By far, my favorite product out of the whole box! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Let us know what you think of it as a mask. I have not opened mine yet as I have a cleanser I need to finish first, but I would love to know what you think.

Oh good to know!  Now I wont be so careful not to touch eye skin with it.  I take eye makeup off with remover anyways, but I like to wash my eyes when I wash my face.  

As for the mask... I'd assume you lather it all over your face, and leave it on, then wash it off after 5 or so minutes.  That's how I understand the directions. 
Thanks for the tip, when I open it I will be sure to try it this way.

So I'm reading the facebook posts blasting this box.  You know what?  I hate when people complain and then use something we do as an excuse to do something.. For example... somebody is complaining why should they keep their subscription when they get slow shipping.  They know people who just buy gift boxes for themselves so they can use the 10$ off codes each month.  Why shouldn't they quit to just do that too?  

I understand and agree with her.. but I hate when people do this to companies.  Lets just blast their service and gloat about work arounds (whether the company is aware of them or not), and encourage them to close the ability to do that why don't we?  That's what this kind of statements to a company do!  Next thing you know we wont be able to just buy ourselves a gift box each month, or we wont be able to use promo codes on gift boxes!   

I really hope they don't take away the whole using the $10 off on gifts.  I like paying $29, not $39.  And yeah, the shipping sucks, but I'm also not spending an extra $8-$10 bucks for it.  And honestly, it's kind of fun being a box stalker lol

Got mine today, surprisingly a few days earlier than expected. I was holding off judgements until I received the box as I tend to be more happy than the general internet public. I do personally like the perfume, but I don't love it. Smells like cotton candy or something to me. Lipstick probably won't work for me but I'll try it out. The biggest disappointment is the hat. I love love love it. So soft and I personally love the color. HOWEVER - I got it out to try it on and it is awful on me. There is no possible way I can wear this hat. I am really bummed. It's like, too tall or something? I do have a smaller head but it fits fine diameter wise (if that makes sense), but half of it just sticks up in the back. No way to make it cute and slouchy or something either.

Very sad, since it is/would have been my favorite item in the box. Not sure if I'll gift or see if someone else wants it. It's so soft and I'm assuming warm too. Boo.

All the other stuff is just ok to me. I'll wear the scarf but I don't love it. I'll eat the gummies. I'll try the cleanser. I don't know. This is the first time I actually feel guilty spending the money on a Popsugar box. I usually find great ways to justify my Popsugar addiction but I'm unable to do so this time. No worries. Just a little sad because I had very high hopes after last year's. 

Latest posts

Back