Removing artifical nails with dental floss!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even with acetone it was always a long painful process where I lost a lot of my natural nails.  The awful process is part of why I stopped getting my nails done.  This sounds awesome and if I ever get fakers again I'm totally trying it.

So in my google search on ways to remove acrylic nails, I came across this forum. And after joining the website, I must say I LOVE IT! Thank you for sharing this tip! I used it and it worked really well. It is painless but does still tear the natural nail just a bit. Nothing as dramatic as trying to pry them off yourself!
claps.gif

thank you SO MUCH for the tip!! i always dred removing acrylic nails and i came upon this today. it worked great!! one little tip i found though. if you are doing it yourself, use the little floss pic thingys that look kinda like little forks. worked perfectly! thanks again!!

i have with gels. thats pretty much the standard they use now for removal of shellacs or gels. works pretty good and fast,, but with acrylics,, the floss is the bomb. if you do use this method for acrylics,, make sure you trim free edge of acrylic and file down the surface so the acetone soaks in more quickly. i am a licenced naik tech.

i wanted to thamk you from the bottom of my heart tried the technique  you said and they came off so easily. which shocked me cause the nail techs had my nails so thick and bonded i was worried nothing would help cause i had tried the 100% acetone solution and it didnt help at all. Thank you again

Hey everyone, I found this when trying to search for a different way to remove my acrylic nails without the time and smell of acetone. The whole idea of using just dental floss and essentially "sawing" off the fake nail was weird, but certainly worth a shot if it did work. 

I'll start by saying I had white tips glued on under the acrylic. For just the acrylic part the dental floss worked AMAZINGLY! Came right off with no problems. However, for the glued tips... the dental floss didn't work as well. I had only had problems with 2 nails, the tips, that is. Make sure you have the person holding and using the floss go slow otherwise it can pull off some of the natural nail bed (does not feel nice at all). The other nail I had a problem with I had the person with the floss stop when the floss wouldn't go further easily; I had to soak that in acetone... but the fact that I only had to soak one nail for a couple minutes, instead of all 10 nails for like 20 minutes... and with that smell... so much better. And the floss actually goes really fast... if I had just acrylic without tips, I can only imagine how much faster (with no pain and no acetone) it would have been. 

Awesome tip! One I will keep in mind for the next time I want fake nails... in which case I will use only acrylic, so I can remove them all this easily and quickly. 

Thanks! 

I like getting acrylics but I hate taking them off :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I probably wont get them done again cause after so long i have got them to be strong and healthy

this is an amazing tip- i love wearing acrylics, and acetone never works for me! i'll be sure to try this next time i want to take of my fakes ^^

Thanks so much!!!!!!   Worked like a charm,and I was able to do this by myself.  Saved me $30 nail removal fee. Keep up the good work.

I'm sorry to break the news to all of you but this is a TERRIBLE way to remove acrylic nails! You should NEVER use anything to pull them Off! It is so damaging to the nail! If you want to remove them go straight to the nail salon. If you can't wait, you can use their method at home! Soak cotton balls in pure acetone. Place them directly on the nails and avoid your skin by ripping the cotton balls. Wrap the Fingertips in foil and leave on at least 15 minutes. You can even use a hair dryer on LOW HEAT to expedite the process. After 15 minutes the whole nail doesn't slip right off, re-wrap and leave on an additional 10-15 minutes. NEVER EVER EVER PULL THE NAILS!!

I use this method to remove Shellac :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Alyssa C /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm sorry to break the news to all of you but this is a TERRIBLE way to remove acrylic nails! You should NEVER use anything to pull them
Off! It is so damaging to the nail! If you want to remove them go straight to the nail salon. If you can't wait, you can use their method at home! Soak cotton balls in pure acetone. Place them directly on the nails and avoid your skin by ripping the cotton balls. Wrap the
Fingertips in foil and leave on at least 15 minutes. You can even use a hair dryer on LOW HEAT to expedite the process. After 15 minutes the whole nail doesn't slip right off, re-wrap and leave on an additional 10-15 minutes. NEVER EVER EVER PULL THE NAILS!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alyssa C /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm sorry to break the news to all of you but this is a TERRIBLE way to remove acrylic nails! You should NEVER use anything to pull them
Off! It is so damaging to the nail! If you want to remove them go straight to the nail salon. If you can't wait, you can use their method at home! Soak cotton balls in pure acetone. Place them directly on the nails and avoid your skin by ripping the cotton balls. Wrap the
Fingertips in foil and leave on at least 15 minutes. You can even use a hair dryer on LOW HEAT to expedite the process. After 15 minutes the whole nail doesn't slip right off, re-wrap and leave on an additional 10-15 minutes. NEVER EVER EVER PULL THE NAILS!!
THANK YOU! 

This is a terrible idea and you have no idea what damage you could be causing to your nails.  You should be going to a trained professional to have acrylics removed or at a pinch use the above method.  DIY/bad nail techs are what ruins nails, not acrylics them self, as long as they are quality products and done / removed correctly.

And for the poster who asked about doing this on clients - please never never do this on your clients! If I whipped out the dental floss to remove a client's gel polish, I'm fairly certain I'd never see them again!

Thank you for this very clever hint; you have spared me much discomfort and time! Clever lady :0)

Back