Removing artifical nails with dental floss!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the way, ladies, I just tried this after reading the suggestion. It worked, painlessly. I did not have a metal nail file, but was able to coax up the nail edges using the tip of metal tweezers. Thank you, Makeup Talk.

Thanx for the tip, If only I knew yesterday as I had to hide them at work today lol

Just wanted to reply to the I found the greatest easiest way to remove acrylic nails"... Omg!! It so worked!! and I just wanted to say Thank You for the Tip!!!... ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />)

I live in Oregon and I get Solar nails and they take them off by using a fake nail tip to left up on the nail. They do cut the nail down before and than they buff my nail after they got it off. I have gone to two different salons and they both have done it this way.

I am thinking of taking my acrylic nails off but in the past I have found that the nail underneath is very thin and soft.

So I am going to try getting my nails cut shorter by the nail salon and then letting the nail grow out so that what is left when the acrylic eventually falls off the nail will be stronger.

Has anyone else tried this before?

It seems like common sense to me, the nails might look a bit yucky for a week or so but it is better than having really soft nails.

I have always been a nail biter which is the reason I have the acrylics.

Originally Posted by RHETTSWOMAN /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks so much!!!!!!   Worked like a charm,and I was able to do this by myself.  Saved me $30 nail removal fee. Keep up the good work.
$30?? WOW! I've never paid more than $15!!

Originally Posted by sbaker1208 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I live in Oregon and I get Solar nails and they take them off by using a fake nail tip to left up on the nail. They do cut the nail down before and than they buff my nail after they got it off. I have gone to two different salons and they both have done it this way.
This is how I get my nails removed -- both acrylic and gel. It's the fastest and easiest way. In a span of about 25 minutes, I had my UV gel set removed, my nails trimmed, filed, shaped, buffed and polished, and my eyebrows waxed. And for all of those services, I only paid $19!

I have had the usual soak off before, but it takes so long, and my nails have been just as healthy as ever when I get them popped off with a fake tip. Actually, it's funny, because the better salons take off fakes with the tips, and the not so good ones soak/file them off. (Around here, not saying anything about other places).

Too funny ! My bf always helps me take mine off and the other night he was like let's try floss ! It does work! It kinda hurts when he's doing that sawing motion.. It starts getting sensitive. It also helps to dip the floss in the acetone. Loosens up the glue

Too funny ! My bf always helps me take mine off and the other night he was like let's try floss ! It does work! It kinda hurts when he's doing that sawing motion.. It starts getting sensitive. It also helps to dip the floss in the acetone. Loosens up the glue
Hi can you go to my thing it's called HELP my nails are a horrible shape and give me some advice?

hello. well i just wanted to say thank you and i will try it.. i was told the same thing from the nail salon.. and i had forgotten until i saw your information.. so thank you..
heart.gif

PLEASE NOTE...

USING DENTAL FLOSS IS A VERY BAD IDEA. YES I TRIED IT LAST NIGHT TAKING YOUR ADVICE.

NOT ONLY DID IT TAKE MY ACRYLIC NAIL OFF BUT IT TOOK SEVERAL LAYERS OF MY NAIL OFF.

SO THIS METHOD IS VERY BAD ADVICE. LEAVING MY NAIL VERY SORE.

NOT RECOMMENDED X

I'm scared for all of you saying that salons have done this to you! Please don't ever EVER go back to someone who removes your acrylics or gels by prizing them off with a nail tip or a nail file or god forbid, uses dental floss.

This is soo so so soooo terrible for your nails, I cannot stress that enough. It's no wonder you're getting all these services so cheap. 

I should've added to clarify that that is not the correct way that a salon should remove acrylics or gel.

Acrylics and soft gels should be removed by soaking the fingers in acetone (a pad soaked in acetone and wrapped in foil or a finger bowl with acetone in) until they are soft and can be gently removed. No scraping or hacking at the nail. No buffing off.  Some hard gels need to be buffed down to be removed though.

No nail enhancement should ever be prized off. Ever.

Back