SquareHue: March 2014 -- SPOILERS

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm very disappointed in this box and don't think I'll be reviewing it right away on my blog like I usually do.  I want to wait until I can express my disappointment a little more professionally than the thoughts in my head right now.  Because if I had to name the nude color right now -- and please don't quote me!! -- I'd call it "Granny Panties." 

As I said, I need to calm down and be a pro about this... but I can't yet.  :-(

There really is no excuse for sending out three polishes that are basically the same. It's even worse that it is a color that I don't like or want. 

While I am disappointed in this month, I am not going to pause my account yet because I am actually looking forward to the colors I think will be coming in April (I don't have a lot of oranges and I can never have too many purples). I will just hope that the colors are brighter and there is not yet another cream color (or a pale/sheer color for that matter). 

I love the chartreuse, but these three creams so close together are actually pushing me to reconsider this sub. We received a few golds last year, but at least those were scattered over more months than these colors. They're definitely falling down on their pledge of fresh new colors every month. Aside from February, they have been playing things far too safe for me lately. It's been so much the same thing over and over that I actually keep forgetting about February's colors. And December:
January:
In each case, they sent a red, a cream, and something interesting. I know they can do better and more interesting collections, which is almost definitely why I'm so disappointed in the recent trend.

Ugh, I really don't like the looks of the colours this month. I put my sub on pause a couple of months ago, so thankfully am not getting this box. But I agree with Krendall, I think the Passport Collection is going to get tiring and my favorite colours are the ones from the themed months from last year. 

I signed up during Black Friday and while I am really enjoying SqH I am also a little baffled at the repeat creams.  I loved how much of a departure last month's Tokyo collection was from the double reds and creams we received before then.  I was disappointed to see another cream in the Paris collection.  I do love the light green and I'm cautiously optimistic about the rose taupe.  But I want to be wowed for Amsterdam.

I do think Amsterdam will have a bright orange and a purple.  But I hate oranges so am going to skip.   I'll buy a purple if I want one that badly.

I'm to the point where I think SqH pretty much owes those of us who have gotten the last four boxes an apology or at least an explanation for including three off-whites that aren't very different.  Yes, I know Broadway was sheer with a pinkish shimmer, but it's still an off-white.

I'm NOT a SquareHue hater.  They're a good company and they're very dependable.  I liked two-thirds of the Tokyo Collection a lot and have loved many of their colors.  Was totally in love with the Coastal Collection from November 2013 and the very first box from December 2012.  But I think whoever develops the colors has warm-toned skin and loves yellows and yellow tones.  As I pointed out on their FB page just now, we've gotten SIX yellowish greens such as lime and chartreuse and olive, but only one emerald or cool-toned green.

What is so disappointing to me is that the idea of a Passport Collection should be very exciting--a monthly collection of polishes inspired by cities around the world. It is frustrating to get the same polishes over and over, though. I know that with a subscription, especially one where you don't see the colors before your box arrives, it is probably inevitable that you won't like every color you get but it would be nice to not get the same (bad) colors again and again. 

I actually found out about SquareHue while trying to figure out what was going on with my Bondi Subscription. After that experience, to say that I am impressed by their reliability and the fact that they do as they say would be an understatement. 

I like the colors very spring in Paris kinda vibe. I think the timing is unfortunate though. My husband was showing me the colors one at a time straight from the box, he pulled the green out and without my glasses it looked white and creamy and I told him if the rest of the box had a red and a blue his health would be in jeopardy. I would like some happier colors though and hopefully not so light. I hate putting 3-4 coats of something on to try and get proper coverage. I would definitely like some brighter pastels hopefully a bright lilac instead of full on purple and a creamy orange not a vibrant one next month.

Quote: Originally Posted by KatieS131 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  What is so disappointing to me is that the idea of a Passport Collection should be very exciting--a monthly collection of polishes inspired by cities around the world. It is frustrating to get the same polishes over and over, though. I know that with a subscription, especially one where you don't see the colors before your box arrives, it is probably inevitable that you won't like every color you get but it would be nice to not get the same (bad) colors again and again. 

Thematically, I enjoy their colors, even if I don't personally like all of them. I also liked the variety of colors, so for the recurring colors the past 3 months, either someone goofed somewhere and wasn't paying attention to which themes were which months or someone is in a "this is the greatest color ever" phase. Which, meh. Their service is still spot on, so I think I might send them a friendly feedback email expressing my disappointment in the recent boxes.

I received my very first SquareHue box today and I absolutely love the colors! However, I'd be pretty upset if I were getting the same shades monthly like those of you who have been around. That's pretty ridiculous so I hope they look into it...

Quote: Originally Posted by tweakabell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I like the colors very spring in Paris kinda vibe. I think the timing is unfortunate though. My husband was showing me the colors one at a time straight from the box, he pulled the green out and without my glasses it looked white and creamy and I told him if the rest of the box had a red and a blue his health would be in jeopardy. I would like some happier colors though and hopefully not so light. I hate putting 3-4 coats of something on to try and get proper coverage. I would definitely like some brighter pastels hopefully a bright lilac instead of full on purple and a creamy orange not a vibrant one next month.
I just signed up for the free box they had going, only because I really like the possible colors for next month. Purple, orange, and maybe a green and I'm all over that! I already have Julep, but I love what you said @tweakabell! I want those colors! I think purple is probably the color I have most of, which must mean I like it. And I don't have too many oranges or greens, so crossing my fingers for some lovely shades next month. Plus, it'll be my birthday in April, come on SquareHue, send us all some lovely colors!

Quote: Originally Posted by Kelly Silva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I just signed up for the free box they had going, only because I really like the possible colors for next month. Purple, orange, and maybe a green and I'm all over that! I already have Julep, but I love what you said @tweakabell! I want those colors! I think purple is probably the color I have most of, which must mean I like it. And I don't have too many oranges or greens, so crossing my fingers for some lovely shades next month. Plus, it'll be my birthday in April, come on SquareHue, send us all some lovely colors!
I joined last year in Feb and one of my favorite boxes was the green, purple and yellow box. The colors were spot on for the season and not like anything I had before I think unfortunately they didn't put the collection together side by side so that any normal person would go "this is just too much cream. I liked Dec and it could have stayed in it's place I think Tokyo should have been Jan. as a kinda barging into the new year kind of theme since they were so bright, a whole new set of colors/city (not creamy soft type) for Feb then Paris wouldn't have been so blah right on the tail end of SO MUCH CREAM and the London could have come out in Jun. so it could be patriotic but not scream fourth of July but you still get red white and blue before July and the colors match the London theme. I think this was just unfortunate planning as I like the colors although I really have a problem with light colors taking so many coats.

I popped in to this thread right before they were set to start shipping and, based on the conversation, decided to suspend my account. SO glad I did! This month's colors would very likely look awful on me and are not my cup of tea at all. I will probably un-suspend for Amsterdam though since I'm a sucker for purples. 
wub.gif

A giant PITA but they ended up pretty. Three coats of Notre Dame, thin but come on I could still see my nails so decided to use it as a base for Arc de Triomphe so two coats of that to get nice coverage over the first color and finished off with Butter London's Stardust. So 6 coats in all yeesh but it's pretty. Have I mentioned I hate light colors! Lol

Well color me a little disappointed. I mean, I like all three of these colors, but they don't like me (they don't look great with my skin tone). I suppose in retrospect, I should have figured the Paris collection would contain a French vanilla cream. The pistachio is pretty in the bottle, but almost white on the nail, and the yellow-green tint is very similar to last month's yellow-green glitter sheer. 

I really like SquareHue. I like their reliability, I like the surprise, I like the nifty square bottles, I like that they give to charity, I even really like creams. But I'm getting kind of disappointed in their color selection. I realize there's only so many colors one can go with, and I do think this month's collection really screams spring in Paris (the bottles lined up are like pretty macaroons). But three off-whites (two of which are exactly the same shade in different finishes) and two greens the same shade in four months, and everything leaning yellowish just doesn't work for me. Although, who am I kidding, I buy every shade of blue that comes out in nail polish, so it's really just my preference for other colors.
smile.gif
 I hope Amsterdam gives us something different!

I used 3 thin coats of Notre Dame as a base for one thin coat of Julep's Love, and it came out really pretty. So I'll probably use these three colors to layer with other sheers or glitter topcoats. Anybody try any good combinations?

I also like SqH's reliability, the square bottles, and that they give to charity.  I've loved many of their polishes I've received.  If this Paris box had been my first or second ever box from them, I'd be thrilled, even if the colors don't flatter my skin.

The problem, as whiny ol' me and others have pointed out, is that in four months we've gotten three off-white near-dupes and several other near-dupes.  When we got that awesome holo in the New York box, I hoped it was the sign of things to come and we'd get, say, a blue holo or a pink holo.  I still think there's a lot of new ground SqH can cover if they want to -- said holos, thicker glitter instead of sheer glitter, matte textures, etc.  Mostly, though, I wish they'd back off on the yellows and yellow-greens.  Those flatter very few people IMO.

I just got my box in the mail and I like the colors much more than I originally thought. Arc de Triomphe is a great neutral for my ultra pale skin (it is much pinker than I was anticipating) and I think Champs Elysées is a fresh, clean color that I don't have already (I also really like it paired with Roppongi from last month). I still don't like Notre Dame and am baffled on why they would send out another off white creme but am happy about the other two colors and relieved that this month's box was not a total bust (for me at least). 

Quote: Originally Posted by TheSilverNail /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I also like SqH's reliability, the square bottles, and that they give to charity.  I've loved many of their polishes I've received.  If this Paris box had been my first or second ever box from them, I'd be thrilled, even if the colors don't flatter my skin.

The problem, as whiny ol' me and others have pointed out, is that in four months we've gotten three off-white near-dupes and several other near-dupes.  When we got that awesome holo in the New York box, I hoped it was the sign of things to come and we'd get, say, a blue holo or a pink holo.  I still think there's a lot of new ground SqH can cover if they want to -- said holos, thicker glitter instead of sheer glitter, matte textures, etc.  Mostly, though, I wish they'd back off on the yellows and yellow-greens.  Those flatter very few people IMO.
Dang it, Sue -- I hate when you make me rethink a comment and act like an adult! <lol>

I said I really, really, really wanted to like this company and when I look at the whole picture I have to admit I do. GREAT customer service (when was the last time you got a personal call back?), I love that they give to charity and it's not a charity that has it's own month or color. The polish is very good. Good application, good staying power. I've been a member for 5 months and in that time have received 15 polishes. In that time I have liked the majority of the polishes. I've liked less polishes in purchasing mystery boxes off of FB and considered those successful purchases. And just from subscribing to SqH, I've found communities of others who joined and played the "what colors will we get?" game.

I've suspended my subscription and am already toying if I will take it off suspension. Amsterdam? I'm thinking red-orange & purple tulips gently wafting in the breeze.

Square Hue is a good company. I am whiny about the 3 off-whites since December and the back-to-back red, white & blue boxes. But I have faith that this is a company that will listen to its customers.

Back