Starlooks March 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by MissJexie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Looks like a black gel liner, dark red lip liner, red lipstick, gold lipgloss....all 4 or maybe 3 of those 4?
This is what I am thinking, too, possibly all four of those. Aside from the black liner, I am good with the rest. The red seems (maybe it's just the coloring of my monitor) to lean a teensy bit berry in her video...but the Boss lipstick looks very orangey red. I would be much happier if it wasn't an orangey red and leaned more berry. Maybe the liner is what is giving it a less orangey look.

She did say "atleast two" ,  so it does leave it open that maybe only two of the box items are in the video and we will get some other things...but then she also says that everything she skips and doesn't mention product names you don't have to worry about getting and then specifies blushes/foundations...but she also doesn't mention mascara or things like that, so *shrugs* I don't know.

Haha right?! That and I kinda want to stick around for the next loyalty gift to see if it's another credit.  PS, has anyone's loyalty order actually shipped yet?? I ordered on like the 24th, got the confirmation order, and not a peep since. Status is currently unfulfilled on their site. I will cry if somehow I don't end up with the October blush palette. 
Nope. It has been my experience that orders can take a couple of weeks to ship even when paying full price, though, so I'm not too concerned about it just yet.

Well, I just called to get some info and they were waiting on fulfillment for the Tenderglosses, so if your order included those, that might be what is holding them up! However, Josh was very nice and offered to ship my October box today :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

EDIT wowza that was fast! Already got the shipping notification. Woot!

One up side about this month: They don't repeat looks in boxes, so at least we won't see this one again. And, ugh, I forgot we already paid for this box. I really hope there's something weird and surprising from way out in left field in there.

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

One up side about this month: They don't repeat looks in boxes, so at least we won't see this one again. And, ugh, I forgot we already paid for this box. I really hope there's something weird and surprising from way out in left field in there.
OH THANK GAWD.  except it might show up in birthday boxes or referral boxes!! lol

I am actually kind of excited for this one. I was going to order the black gel liner with the loyalty code but instead I went for the grey and green pots instead thinking I already have a lot of black pencil eyeliners. That and I ordered a cream blush. I am more happy with this one than febs box that is for sure.

I don't like red lipstick. It looks horrible on me. I should have known I was due for some. I haven't received red in any subscriptions since December. lol 

Quote: Originally Posted by Kelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  This is what I am thinking, too, possibly all four of those. Aside from the black liner, I am good with the rest. The red seems (maybe it's just the coloring of my monitor) to lean a teensy bit berry in her video...but the Boss lipstick looks very orangey red. I would be much happier if it wasn't an orangey red and leaned more berry. Maybe the liner is what is giving it a less orangey look.

She did say "atleast two" ,  so it does leave it open that maybe only two of the box items are in the video and we will get some other things...but then she also says that everything she skips and doesn't mention product names you don't have to worry about getting and then specifies blushes/foundations...but she also doesn't mention mascara or things like that, so *shrugs* I don't know.
Would love some berry colors. They have way too much neutral/ warm in their boxes.

Quote: Originally Posted by elainecad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Would love some berry colors. They have way too much neutral/ warm in their boxes.
I agree since I started subbing in September 2013, I don't think I've seen ANY berry-colored products. I'd love a deep, vampy plum or a pretty mauve-berry shade!

I agree since I started subbing in September 2013, I don't think I've seen ANY berry-colored products. I'd love a deep, vampy plum or a pretty mauve-berry shade!
Yes, exactly!

I happen to have a rough list here of all of the box contents going back to January 2013. Feb 13: coral-pink liner and shimmery lilac gloss. March: rust lipstick. April: shimmery neutral Tendergloss and lip balm. August: pink and shimmery brownish long-lasting lipstick. September: shimmery opal gloss. October: shimmery pinkish Tendergloss. January 14: mixed bag. Feb 14: shimmery metallic lipstick. ETA: Whoops, that's just the lip products. But none of the blushes were berry, either. Peach in January, bright pink in February, brown in May, and the trio in October.

Sometimes I feel like the Starboxes are either:

A) Unpopular products/shades

B) Popular products that are too expensive to buy at full price (blush palette, december palettes, brushes etc)

I think they just take a look at all the items from list A and think, "how can we put some of these together to make a theme?"

Maybe I'm totally off on that, but it would make sense as a business strategy. You get your product/name out there and also get rid of products that aren't selling well. Not to mention the fact that there's rarely a very widely-popular, wearable shade in my Starbox.

Just a theory!

Sometimes I feel like the Starboxes are either: A) Unpopular products/shades B) Popular products that are too expensive to buy at full price (blush palette, december palettes, brushes etc) I think they just take a look at all the items from list A and think, "how can we put some of these together to make a theme?" Maybe I'm totally off on that, but it would make sense as a business strategy. You get your product/name out there and also get rid of products that aren't selling well. Not to mention the fact that there's rarely a very widely-popular, wearable shade in my Starbox. Just a theory!
I feel that way about most sub boxes. They're a way to get rid of unpopular products at a discount to us.

Quote: Originally Posted by heartsandwhimsy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was thinking brows too!! BUT we did receive that brow kit not too long ago. I love bold lips but I have hundred million shades of red and looking at the lookbook what stands out to me is red lips, bold brows, black liner, and lashes. I'm in the minority I know because I love lashes.. most people would hate getting another pair.. can't remember what month we received the lashes or brow kit. I'm just hoping it's not a black eyeliner and red lipstick month!! Especially since we are heading into Spring and I would love to see some Spring colors. My only other guess would be possibly grey eyeshadow? I'm pretty excited though because I just used my loyalty code and picked up a beautiful blush and green concealer plus I finally got around to emailing thenm about the duplicate items I received last month and was told I could pick any two items $15 or under as replacements so I choose clear eye primer and a peachy long wear lipstick.. all of that out of pocket for under $2!!!! I hope they continue allowing us to choose our items for the loyalty gift
That's really nice of them to let you pick two items.

Quote: Originally Posted by biancardi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  could it be the 4 color  lip palette?  And a high shine gloss? Because there is no way a lipstick goes on that glossy and when I look at the "lip" picture closely, it looks almost like there is a shimmer to the finish.    I wonder, as the rest of the face is black & white, if we are getting a setting powder (they do have a translucent white loose powder)   If an eyeliner, I would hope for a liquid pen, not the pencil.  I would not mind a black liquid eyeliner.

If the choices are a bright red lipstick, a black pencil eyeliner and false eyelashes, I will be let down that a beauty blogger picked those items, as one of the major complaints with subs is that this is the normal fare they give us (red, black, falsies - think ipsy!!)

What I would love from this box is the translucent powder, a great brush to put it on with and that would be a win for me, even if the additional items were a red lippie or falsies.
My perfect box would be that 4 color lip palette and a brush.

Sometimes I feel like the Starboxes are either:

A) Unpopular products/shades

B) Popular products that are too expensive to buy at full price (blush palette, december palettes, brushes etc)

I think they just take a look at all the items from list A and think, "how can we put some of these together to make a theme?"

Maybe I'm totally off on that, but it would make sense as a business strategy. You get your product/name out there and also get rid of products that aren't selling well. Not to mention the fact that there's rarely a very widely-popular, wearable shade in my Starbox.

Just a theory!

Quote: Originally Posted by dousedingin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I feel that way about most sub boxes. They're a way to get rid of unpopular products at a discount to us.
I agree that the Starbox program is a way to move unpopular items, but I don't think it's necessarily a way to dump them.  To me, these boxes -- Starbox, Birchbox, ipsy, whatever -- are marketing tools.  We get these not-so-popular products at a discount, and then we play with them, and then we go back for more (Gem liners.  A lot of people who received it in their boxes would have *never* bought one because, uh, metallic eyeliner?  Huh?  But then one showed up in their box, and, eh, might as well try it and now OH WOW MUST COLLECT THEM ALL) or get so excited about them that other people who might have been wary of them will go buy things because of how much we talk them up (that brown blush that I would have *never* tried -- it looked utterly unwearable -- if I hadn't been bored one afternoon shortly after it arrived).  I feel like they're trying to create demand, not unload their supply. 

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree that the Starbox program is a way to move unpopular items, but I don't think it's necessarily a way to dump them.  To me, these boxes -- Starbox, Birchbox, ipsy, whatever -- are marketing tools.  We get these not-so-popular products at a discount, and then we play with them, and then we go back for more (Gem liners.  A lot of people who received it in their boxes would have *never* bought one because, uh, metallic eyeliner?  Huh?  But then one showed up in their box, and, eh, might as well try it and now OH WOW MUST COLLECT THEM ALL) or get so excited about them that other people who might have been wary of them will go buy things because of how much we talk them up (that brown blush that I would have *never* tried -- it looked utterly unwearable -- if I hadn't been bored one afternoon shortly after it arrived).  I feel like they're trying to create demand, not unload their supply. 

That's definitely a better way to look at it, and since I like to be positive (most of the time! LOL) I'm inclined to agree with you!

ALSO: Has anyone received their referral boxes yet?

Quote: Originally Posted by TwinkleSprinks /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was looking through the lookbook again and I am hoping it is the 4 shade lip palette. That would be awesome!!
Me too!

Lol I didn't mean to imply subs were sending all junk. If that were the case no one would sub. But I do think part of it is unloading less desirable items, or even mistakes (mistyped labels on popcorn via pop sugar for example). It would otherwise be difficult to make any money on an industry (subs) that already has low margin.

Back