Queennie

Play! Sephora Subscription Box

I can see both sides of it.

I'm not a Rouge member and I never will be but if I was and if I was already upset at the lack of perks, I wouldn't be too thrilled at not getting some kind of incentive to subscribe to their box, be it early access or a discount off the monthly price.

As a non-Rouge member, I would be SO bummed if all the Rouge members got off the list first because it basically means I have no chance of getting off the list any point soon even if I signed up the second the news went live.

The real issue here is that Sephora's rewards program stinks. If Rouge members were treated better and offered more perks to show them they're valued customers, this wouldn't be such an issue. 

Personally, at the amount you have to spend to hit Rouge, you should get the whole box every month for free! 

Now wouldn't that encourage people to get to Rouge? I think so. Hah!

exactly.

Play!  isn't a reward - it wasn't marketed as such and it should not be used as a means to an end.  People pay for it - it is totally different from the VIB Rouge rewards which I agree are horrible.  To me, it would be totally unfair to have rouge members cut in line for a product that isn't a reward.  

Edited by biancardi

exactly.

Play!  isn't a reward - it wasn't marketed as such and it should not be used as a means to an end.  People pay for it - it is totally different from the VIB Rouge rewards which I agree are horrible.  To me, it would be totally unfair to have rouge members cut in line for a product that isn't a reward.  

But technically, VIB Rouge members did pay to be Rouge. You have to earn so many points in order to be Rouge and points equal money spent in the store. I'm not saying that Rouge members should be able to "cut line". I'm saying that it would have been nice if Rouge members would have been the test market or if the waitlist would have been offered to the Rouge members first. To me, that would have been good customer service to offer the sub to loyal members first. I'm just saying that it's frustrating that's all.

But technically, VIB Rouge members did pay to be Rouge. You have to earn so many points in order to be Rouge and points equal money spent in the store. I'm not saying that Rouge members should be able to "cut line". I'm saying that it would have been nice if Rouge members would have been the test market or if the waitlist would have been offered to the Rouge members first. To me, that would have been good customer service to offer the sub to loyal members first. I'm just saying that it's frustrating that's all.

I understand it is frustrating. But Play! isn't a reward nor part of the VIB Rouge membership. the test market would be cities, so that doesn't work. I do agree if they were doing waitlists - they should have only offered it to VIB Rouge first, but since they didn't, it just wouldn't be fair to those who signed up before a VIB Rouge member.

I wish Sephora would just unwaitlist everyone, as I don't understand how a huge company that has access to all of these samples cannot open it up to everyone who wants it.

I'm trying to understand why they would test the market to begin with. From the business standpoint I understand it however the market has already been tested by numerous beauty box companies. It's been shown that there is a huge demand for the boxes and I'm sure Sephora's wait list and the frenzy around it just confirms it. They should have just opened it to everyone who wants it and they could have really cornered the market right off the bat. Now some people are frustrated that they can't get in. I guess scarcity is great business practice and causes the consumer to want it even more but at the end it might end up back firing on them. One way to resurrect the situation is to release enough boxes quicker to get people off the waitlist.

• Like 4

I'm trying to understand why they would test the market to begin with. From the business standpoint I understand it however the market has already been tested by numerous beauty box companies. It's been shown that there is a huge demand for the boxes and I'm sure Sephora's wait list and the frenzy around it just confirms it. They should have just opened it to everyone who wants it and they could have really cornered the market right off the bat. Now some people are frustrated that they can't get in. I guess scarcity is great business practice and causes the consumer to want it even more but at the end it might end up back firing on them. One way to resurrect the situation is to release enough boxes quicker to get people off the waitlist.

And why limit the testing to a regional area? It's being shipped, not handed out at stores. 

• Like 3

I guess scarcity is great business practice and causes the consumer to want it even more but at the end it might end up back firing on them. One way to resurrect the situation is to release enough boxes quicker to get people off the waitlist.

Yes, definitely! They are increasing demand, it's all marketing. When they open to everyone, their profit margin will be up to the roof. I also think the first boxes are picked especially better to make it even more mouthwatering for us waitlisters and the value may not stay the same once they open it to everyone.

• Like 1

Just got my November box today, so excited!  :D  Thrilled about the Dr Jart ceramidin day tint, and I love that they included the konjac sponge with the Boscia cleanser. The full-size mask is nice too -as expected, this is proving to be a great sub.

I live near downtown Dallas and I was surprised to be let off the waitlist the first month. I hope they open it up to everyone soon!! Although I do feel it's a valid point that the quality/curation may be particularly good early on to add to the hype, it will be interesting to see if it continues after they make it openly available.

• Like 2

I live in Oklahoma City and am VIB.  Last week I was off the wait list so I subbed, my credit card was charged, and then I couldn't figure out if I was getting the awesome October box.  I emailed and CS said nope, my first will be in November.  Their FAQ says they bill on the 9th of the month and ship in the 3rd week of the month.  They'd better not bill me twice for November!!  I'm bummed because I really wanted the October box :(  

• Like 1

I've added my name to the waiting list many times. I'm a VIB in San Diego.... still on the waiting list.

I'm also on the waiting list for the new Macy's Spotlight sub box (also $9.99)

Wonder which I'll get first...

• Like 2

The most recent clue seems to point to a Sephora-exclusive product, but they aren't giving us much to go on.

Moroccan multi-tasker to a resveratrol-rich lipstick...atleast couple of them...I am wondering what that Moraccan product would be which is exclusive to Sephora. 

Lipstick seems to be from Bite Beauty.

Edited by somabis1

And I think the Becca x Jaclyn Hill Shimmering Skin Perfector® Pressed which accidentally was listed in October 2015 box for sometime...is coming this month. I hope so...

And I think the Becca x Jaclyn Hill Shimmering Skin Perfector® Pressed which accidentally was listed in October 2015 box for sometime...is coming this month. I hope so...

That would be great, I really wanted it the first time :)

Moroccan multi-tasker to a resveratrol-rich lipstick...atleast couple of them...I am wondering what that Moraccan product would be which is exclusive to Sephora. 

Lipstick seems to be from Bite Beauty.

Oh, I'd be happy with Bite lip products if they gave us something to help with the coming dry-lips cold weather. 

Couple things, is the packaging the same lipstick packaging so far because it is totally adorable. And how do I sign up for the waitlist? I'm in Dayton, smack between two of the original test markets and got so annoyed when I first saw it announced. But now that they are seemingly sending to other cities I wanna jump on this sample train!

Someone posted in the Sephora community that they saw the November box on Instagram. I cannot find it, but here is what she listed:

A bite beauty high pigment pencil in Rhubarb

- A buxom full on lip cream in Dolly

- A Sephora waterproof eye pencil in 29 my boyfriends jeans 

- A Josie Maran argan oil light

- A make up for ever hydrating step 1 primer 

& lastly a Stella McCartney Stella perfume sample 

• Like 3

Someone posted in the Sephora community that they saw the November box on Instagram. I cannot find it, but here is what she listed:

A bite beauty high pigment pencil in Rhubarb

- A buxom full on lip cream in Dolly

- A Sephora waterproof eye pencil in 29 my boyfriends jeans 

- A Josie Maran argan oil light

- A make up for ever hydrating step 1 primer 

& lastly a Stella McCartney Stella perfume sample 

I saw those pics...I was really wishing for the Becca product...So may be some other box.