30 Manis Marathon 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by Lolo22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Inspired by the supernatural: the lost city of Atlantis

Super cute. I love how all of our minds go someplace totally different when we think of something so broad as "Supernatural".

Inspired by the supernatural Polishes: SC Nova & wnw French white creme. Nova is a deep blue, not the black it always shows in pix. It's my first time doing a design that goes across the nails. And you get to see both my righty and lefty abilities. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Inspired by a Book (Or was it a movie? Either way.): The Hobbit

Polish used was Milani 510 3D Holographic. I then printed out the elvish script of the One Ring on paper and then used the ziplock bag method with an ultra fine tip paint pin to trace. I also used up the end of my franken top coat. I had been dumping top coats together as they ran out. It resulted in a very gloppy mess. So using it for the ziplock bag thing worked well. In the past I didn't have the polish thick enough to be easily peeled off. This time, if anything, it was too thick.

Just the tutorial one left. Think I may have to make it a Christmas one.

Quote: Originally Posted by chrysalis101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Polish used was Milani 510 3D Holographic. I then printed out the elvish script of the One Ring on paper and then used the ziplock bag method with an ultra fine tip paint pin to trace. I also used up the end of my franken top coat. I had been dumping top coats together as they ran out. It resulted in a very gloppy mess. So using it for the ziplock bag thing worked well. In the past I didn't have the polish thick enough to be easily peeled off. This time, if anything, it was too thick.

MY PRECIOUUUUUUUS!!!!"  Seriously, though, that is gorgeous!  Great job!

Inspired by art: splatter art
This was my inspiration:

This is what I ended up with:

Ooo! That one appeals to me! I like that your nails are really light and then they have the interesting splatter pattern that really contrasts nicely. It's a really dynamic combination.

It's so amazingly precise with the ornate font. So impressive. Tee, hee, I'm planning on doing that with a few topcoats (and some Zoya renew) too! I see what you mean about it being thick in this case, but it's only because of your high-quality close-up photo, so no worries!

Inspired by the supernatural

Polishes: SC Nova & wnw French white creme. Nova is a deep blue, not the black it always shows in pix. It's my first time doing a design that goes across the nails. And you get to see both my righty and lefty abilities.
smile.gif

I think you did a good job on both hands!

Inspired by the supernatural: the lost city of Atlantis

Awesome! So cute; I really love the octopus. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Inspired by a flag: England
OPI Incognito in Sausalito, Essie Blanc, VS Lustworthy

Nice! It's such fun to see all these flags!

Quote: Originally Posted by Scooby Dynamite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Manicure 28: Inspired By A Flag

Finland

Zoya Tomoko over Zoya Liberty  - Tried using striping tape over pixie dust for the first time, doesn't work too well since the tape can't grab onto the texture of the polish. So I improvised and used a nail art brush to touch up the lines after removing the tape.
It's a beautiful colour combination!

So, we've discussed how I'm really bad at uploading pix. And for the last few weeks, it feels like I've dropped off the face of the earth! But I have been finding time to do my nails. And while I haven't posted in a while, at least I've been doing the challenge. So, here's the catch up.

Inspired by a Pattern Nails - CG White Night and CG Smoke and Ashes with some BM plate that I can't find now, and think my sofa ate. It didn't stay on long. 1. I found it rather boring and 2. my gels did something weird and my nails just looked bad. At least you can't really see that in the pix. I did hide my thumb because I smudged it really bad right before I took the pic and just had to live with it all day because I had too much to do that day to fix it.

Inspired by a movie - Catching Fire

My thumb nail did have the title "Catching Fire" on it, with sparks coming out, but it rubbed off before I took a pic, so I just left my thumb out. It's done with CG Stone Cold, CG Electrify and CG Riveting. I tried to do something better, like a mockingjay, but that failed. So, flames are a good standby. I didn't do a waterless marble because I didn't want to ruin the Stone Cold beneath it, and mattes just don't seem to work well for me that way. I also didn't put a top coat on, which is why the title came off so easily because I wanted to keep the matte matte and the glitter not matte

Inspired by a Work of Art - 

Here's my inspiration http://www.pinterest.com/pin/91268329922522872/ 

But I wanted it to be more fallish, being that it was the week of Thanksgiving. Done on CG White Night, sponged with CG Plum Perfection, CG Agro, Piggy Polish Right to Bare Feet, and Milan 3D Holographic 510, the "branches" are done with LA Colors Art Deco Black

I wore these for nearly a week because I liked them so much...well, that was a perk, I was also out of town.

Inspired by a flag - Indiana State flag http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Indiana

I'm a Hoosier girl, born, bread and corn fed! I love that I've lived all over Indiana and I'm very proud of the long heritage my family has here in the Crossroads to America.

I used Spoiled Your Fly's Down with acrylic yellow paint. There are 19 stars on each hand because Indiana is the 19th state of the Union. Obviously, I should have worked on drawing a torch before I put it on my nails...oh well.

You've been busy! I really like your inspired by movie and work of art creations; they're both really beautiful.

Quote: Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Inspired by a book: Pride & Prejudice. I used a soft, period-appropriate shade of periwinkle, stamped a white key as an accent onto my ring finger nail, and put a mattifying top coat over all of it. The key was to signify that Darcy and Elizabeth had to "unlock" their feelings towards each other, but I'm afraid this turned out to be the manicure equivalent of an interpretive dance - too vague and not well executed. It also doesn't help that I forgot to take a picture right after! So this is with two days of tip wear and some of the mattifyer wearing off!

I giggled at your description, but it's a sweet little mani; and well, I totally understand being busy; wear happens! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Mani #27 - Inspired by ARTWORK

I chose to use Henri Matisse's La Vis for inspiration. Here's an image of the work:

And here's my mani:

Some comments on this: The darker greenish teal colour was the same colour as the royal blue on the right pinkie finger, but when it was painted onto the lime green, the blue changed, and changed more after I applied top coat! Where the blue is a bit thicker, it keeps more of the royal blue quality, like on the left edge of the right thumb. Some of my patterns use the colours in reverse of the original work.

Quote: Originally Posted by Monika1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Mani #27 - Inspired by ARTWORK

I chose to use Henri Matisse's La Vis for inspiration. Here's an image of the work:

And here's my mani:

Some comments on this: The darker greenish teal colour was the same colour as the royal blue on the right pinkie finger, but when it was painted onto the lime green, the blue changed, and changed more after I applied top coat! Where the blue is a bit thicker, it keeps more of the royal blue quality, like on the left edge of the right thumb. Some of my patterns use the colours in reverse of the original work.

This is AMAZING!!!  I'm blown away by your talent!

Mani #27 - Inspired byARTWORK I chose to use Henri Matisse's La Vis for inspiration. Here's an image of the work: And here's my mani:     Some comments on this: The darker greenish teal colour was the same colour as the royal blue on the right pinkie finger, but when it was painted onto the lime green, the blue changed, and changed more after I applied top coat! Where the blue is a bit thicker, it keeps more of the royal blue quality, like on the left edge of the right thumb. Some of my patterns use the colours in reverse of the original work.
Wow Monika, that is way cool!

Inspired by a tutorial: cursive letters

I didn't have a specific tutorial inspire me but I saw some pins on Pinterest with cursive lettering and I wanted to give it a try.  Glitter Guilty Peppermint Crush and OPI In My Santa Suit.

Manicure #30: Inspired By A Tutorial

Lucy's Stash Glitter Gradient Nail Art

Two coats of Nicka K Ripe Apple, with a gradient of China Glaze Twinkle Lights

Quote: Originally Posted by Scooby Dynamite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Congrats to everyone who completed the Marathon! I got a bit distracted for the last few, but I finished today, so I put together this collage as a personal finale :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

All of your manis seem so well thought out and beautiful. Great job! And beautiful collage.

Quote: Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is AMAZING!!!  I'm blown away by your talent!

Wow Monika, that is way cool!
Thanks so much girls! In this case Matisse has to take most of the credit! A relative of mine is a true fan of his work, so this is one of the works I've enjoyed seeing for years in the form of a print.

As I plod along to the finish here (still not quite done myself) I have to say I have a feeling there is another (slow) challenge somewhere in my future as I've been truly enjoying this one!

Back