31 Day Nail Art Challenge

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just used the Kiss nail art striping polishes.  The first time I did it, the lines came out too thick so I had to have a do-over.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monika1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's so lovely Donna! How do you do the thin lines in this context?

Sorry ladies.  I didn't fizzle out I promise.  I had to go into the office for work for 3 days which is completely unheard of for me and I have been so wiped out.  I was on a project that wasn't supposed to end until the 1st of October giving me plenty of time to finish the challenges but I ended up having to go back to my normal job which is much more time consuming and important.  I will catch up starting tomorrow!!!

Got my day 27 artwork themed mani for tomorrow done: inspired by Monet

polishes used: Bondi blue skies, fuchsia-istic and brick road, pure ice french kiss, square hue valor, essie play date 

ETA: I'm gonna follow Donna's lead and add the painting :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

not nearly as vivid, but I'm no Monet!

Also inspired by Monet.  This was my first time using the water mixing method.  I hope to do better next time.  I love the effect you get from it.

My inspiration:

Quote: Originally Posted by lissa1307 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

polishes used: Bondi blue skies, fuchsia-istic and brick road, pure ice french kiss, square hue valor, essie play date 

Quote: Originally Posted by DonnaD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Also inspired by Monet.  This was my first time using the water mixing method.  I hope to do better next time.  I love the effect you get from it.

My inspiration:

Both, really gorgeous! 

Donna...what's water mixing? I tried to google it, but found mostly recipes to make stuff for your nail fungus (lol), or water marbling tutorials.

Quote: Originally Posted by jesemiaud /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Both, really gorgeous! 

Donna...what's water mixing? I tried to google it, but found mostly recipes to make stuff for your nail fungus (lol), or water marbling tutorials.

Thanks for asking - I'm just catching up here - my computer is on the fritz, so I'm trying to use DH's and it just isn't the same. Keyboard is all shifted, aargh! I was wondering the same thing - what is water mixing?

Striping polish or no, I am so impressed by how thin and straight they are!

Quote: Originally Posted by lissa1307 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Lissa, this one has such an interesting smoky effect to it. Is it a filter with the photography to enhance the effect on the nails? It feels like a rainy day in France. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

My inspiration:

I think you really achieved the bright, fresh feel inspired by the painting. Blues, aaaah, my favourite! Beautiful!

Quote: Originally Posted by Monika1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Lissa, this one has such an interesting smoky effect to it. Is it a filter with the photography to enhance the effect on the nails? It feels like a rainy day in France. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

no special filters, just the crappy yellow lighting in my hall and the polish being sponged and dotted,lol...its a little duller because i only used one coat of i'm vers on it instead of 2, maybe thats it.

You mix a drop of polish with a little more water than polish.  Stir it up and dot it thickly.  Wait a minute then dip a pointy q-tip in the center of the dot.  It picks up the water and leaves an open-ish circle of polish.  I don't think I used enough water so a lot of them never reached open circle status.  I saw a pic on pintrest and hers was to die for.  I want mine to look like hers so I'll keep practicing until I get it right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesemiaud /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Both, really gorgeous! 

I have never heard of this technique before, but then again I'm still only learning :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'll definitely try it out some day!

Day 27: Artwork. 

I am posting out of order so I can at least get caught up.  I took a trip to the art museum in Toledo, OH a few years ago when I was an Art Appreciation student.  They say art speaks to you and this painting floored me.  I love symbols and geometric shapes as well as history, not to mention my German heritage so this was and is my favorite painting and I created my own rendition on my nails. 

Portrait of a German Officer, 1914
Marsden Hartley (American, 1877–1943)
Oil on canvas

My nails, 2013

Christa W (American 1977- )

Polish on nails.  Sinful Colors Laced Up, Strapped, Whipped, My Turn, Milani White on the Spot & Sally Hansen Insta-Dri in Lightening. 

I like them all but I could not get the gray matte polish to play nice.  If that were done better it would have been so much cooler.  But it does look brush stroke like and the colors are spot on.  I love these polishes from the Leather Luxe collection I can't say enough about them.  They were a little difficult to paint with using a free hand brush but I love the finish. 

Day 24: Book

I created a manicure inspired by one of my favorite books Red Seas Over Red Skies by Scott Lynch.  This follow up to his debut novel The Lies of Locke Lamora was purchased by me first actually not realizing it was a sequel and having found it for less than $2.00 when our book store closed in the mall.  I won't get into a whole synopsis here but if you enjoy fantasy fiction go check him out on Amazon.  The third book in the series is set to drop next month.  I am including a cover shot so you can see where my idea comes from.  It's a bit hard to see but looks like a watercolor in person.  For the manicure I painted my entire nail with Sally Hansen Insta-Dri in  Grape Going to simulate a sky.  I painted the tips with China Glaze VIII then painted over it with Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Rapid Red.  I then used Insta-Dri in Man-go Team, China Glaze Hawaiian Punch and the Rapid Red and sponged the clouds in the sky.  I then stamped the pirate ship with Bundle Monsters H13 in Sinful Colors Black on Black.

Quote: Originally Posted by Christa W /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I created a manicure inspired by one of my favorite books Red Seas Over Red Skies by Scott Lynch.  This follow up to his debut novel The Lies of Locke Lamora was purchased by me first actually not realizing it was a sequel and having found it for less than $2.00 when our book store closed in the mall.  I won't get into a whole synopsis here but if you enjoy fantasy fiction go check him out on Amazon.  The third book in the series is set to drop next month.  I am including a cover shot so you can see where my idea comes from.  It's a bit hard to see but looks like a watercolor in person.  For the manicure I painted my entire nail with Sally Hansen Insta-Dri in  Grape Going to simulate a sky.  I painted the tips with China Glaze VIII then painted over it with Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Rapid Red.  I then used Insta-Dri in Man-go Team, China Glaze Hawaiian Punch and the Rapid Red and sponged the clouds in the sky.  I then stamped the pirate ship with Bundle Monsters H13 in Sinful Colors Black on Black.

Oh, this is so amazingly gorgeous!  I love every detail!  It's so intricate!  

And... now I want to read the books, too.

Gorgeous!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christa W /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Gorgeous!

Quote: Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh, this is so amazingly gorgeous!  I love every detail!  It's so intricate!  

And... now I want to read the books, too.

Thank you ladies!!  You should read them they are awesome!

Day 26:  Pattern

So every time I see a hounds tooth pattern I think of Space Invaders.  I don't know why but I do.  So here's my pattern!

I made my thumb this way so I could move it along my fingers like the game where you slide from left to right to shoot the space invaders.  I should make a .gif or a video of it!  I used Sinful Colors Whipped and Sinful Colors Snow Me White with Mash stamping plate 47.  I would rock this any day!

You are all so incredibly talented. Wow, I am lucky if I can paint my nails without painting my fingers, the table, and the dog lol. Your pics are keeping me entertained since I had surgery on both hands today and am in bed recuperating. Thanks for giving me such pretty things to look at. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back